• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws | Review Thread

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Holy shit, you drop your secondary weapon at every slightest interaction, melee, crawl, climb... who the fuck at Ubishit thought this was a good idea?

The peoples over there really don't seem to enjoy making games anymore. What has ubisoft made recently that stood out as a passion project? You get Star wars license for the first time since ages when EA was clinging to it, and you totally don't feel like anyone in the team of directors really wanted this. Made by committee?

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I don't want to get into controversy... But is Watto Jewish?
If you prick Watto Does he not bleed ?

(if you take it at face value he is a disgusting antisemitic caricature, like Jar Jar Binks is the worst depiction of a caribean man ever seen in hollywood. But then again Lucas is married to a caribean woman and his best buddy (Spielberg) is jewish... Imo Lucas simply has the maturity of a 12 year old and he likes those types of simplistic characters and doesn't even see the problem with those depictions)

King Dazzar

Holy shit, you drop your secondary weapon at every slightest interaction, melee, crawl, climb... who the fuck at Ubishit thought this was a good idea?
Yep. And ironically, those weapons are great apparently.

Also, I know we've all covered this to death. But Kay looks like she was tortured in some plastic surgery experiment. But hey, maybe thats the story. Kay seeks revenge after surgery went to fuck.

Deanington

Best review I found.

They have fucking Splinter Cell to study on how to at least have a good stealth game. How did they fuck that up? Jesus, how have we not advanced past stealth walking across a brightly lit room, up brightly lit ladders, etc. getting next to a brightly lit target, and not getting caught? Why are the people that make this shit so fucking unaware? It' so fucking bad.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
77? That's a much better score than what the negative comments in the early reviews suggested. I'm surprised, but still don't plan on playing it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I know people like to shat on horizon 2 but the difference in npcs animations\digital acting\face details during conversations is literally generational.

You don't know how much you fucking miss quality acting during chitchat until you don't have it anymore.

Shadow look the same, shitty lifeless npcs.

Last edited:

BlackTron

If you prick Watto Does he not bleed ?

(if you take it at face value he is a disgusting antisemitic caricature, like Jar Jar Binks is the worst depiction of a caribean man ever seen in hollywood. But then again Lucas is married to a caribean woman and his best buddy (Spielberg) is jewish... Imo Lucas simply has the maturity of a 12 year old and he likes those types of simplistic characters and doesn't even see the problem with those depictions)

It wasn't until I was little older that I understood why this guy couldn't hold in a huge laugh when Watto showed up in the movie theater. Seeing that scene as an adult it smacks you in the face and I still think of that guy and how dumbly innocent I was lol. Mind tricks don't work on me...ONLY MONEY! Holy shit he was literally blue with a giant nose. Lucas has balls I'll say that

GymWolf

Gold Member
The middling reviews don't seem to have done a lot of harm. The game is the best selling title on Amazon UK right now (PS5 version), and PS5s have also sold out.
Star wars ubisoft open world, the game is gonna sell like hot cakes, exactly like shadows.

If a turd like valhalla managed to be the most successful ac game ever, everything has a chance.

dottme

Yep. And ironically, those weapons are great apparently.

Also, I know we've all covered this to death. But Kay looks like she was tortured in some plastic surgery experiment. But hey, maybe thats the story. Kay seeks revenge after surgery went to fuck.
I believe they wanted the secondary weapon to be contain within a room to ease game design. So they know which secondary weapon is available in which room.
But it looks stupid.

graywolf323

I honestly enjoyed it, at times, way more than I expected. But mission hard fails and a story that just was WOW not enticing held it down, as well as some crashes and a friggen savegame bug. BUT I do feel this one will hit a bit better than I expected across actual gamers.
thanks for the review! I think I’ll wait for the eventual Black Friday sale (50% off by then possibly?)

Romulus

So what is the concensus on the negatives? Gonna guess repetitive and lackluster story.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Was looking forward to this, but I’m not interested in a shitty stealth game broken up by occasional action from a developer who doesn’t know how to do stealth games.

Trilobit

Seems good enough to try out when it's on a subscription service. Not going to expect anything character- or storywise, but I love Star Wars and Massive produces great graphics.

Meme Think GIF

Do you mean jedi knight 2: jedi outcast, or jedi knight 3: jedi academy?

Well, for a game series that has Dark Forces, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy I can safely say that at least I had a heck of a time remembering what each is called.

Deanington

Do they even have people there who developed the original SC?

I honestly have no idea, but they could have at least gone through their own catalogue for ideas/inspiration? It is kind of wild to think that there is the possibility of not having anybody there to at least mention or think about SC. Getting old sucks.

Last edited:

Nydius

Mid-70s is exactly what I expected this to end up being. Not bad, not great, just the typical Ubisoft fast-food-of-gaming experience. Like fast food, it can fill you up and sustain you for a little bit but shortly after you feel hungry for something with more substance.

I was going to spend a month on Ubisoft+ , but after watching and reading some of these reviews, think I’m going to keep my $18 in my pocket.

Edit: Games with hard insta-failure systems and checkpoints that make you repeate huge chunks are a pet peeve of mine. I loathe that design. “One guy saw you out of the corner of his eye, you FAILURE! Go back and repeat the last 10 minutes of what you just did!” Add in the obviously crap AI that complicates the ability to stealth and I can just see this is the kind of game where I’d toss a controller because the game’s piss poor design causes repeat failure states.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I honestly have no idea, but they could have at least gone through their own catalogue for ideas/inspiration? It is kind of wild to think that there is the possibility of not having anybody there to at least mention or think about SC. Getting old sucks.
At least the last we saw of the SC Remake it showed that the devs working on it seemed to actually care a lot about it and want to make it the best they can. Gave me hope.

When it comes to "stealth" in the vast majority of games to this day, it's just awful. Very basic, forced, and unchanged from the bad stealth from 20 years ago.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
My review in progress with the first hour PC of gameplay at max settings (including RT to Ultra) and some screenshots. Graphics are amazing, but performance is awful, sadly.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvbToW9yZ2c&ab_channel=PCMasterRaceLatinoam%C3%A9rica%28Pey%29

Star-Wars-Outlaws-Screenshot-2024.08.24-02.55.44.89.jpg

Star-Wars-Outlaws-Screenshot-2024.08.24-02.58.46.03.jpg

Star-Wars-Outlaws-Screenshot-2024.08.25-08.46.11.14.jpg

Star-Wars-Outlaws-Screenshot-2024.08.24-02.51.14.86.jpg

It looks amazing to me in these screenshots!

Flabagast

I guess my main concern would be the story. I can push through ass AI and bugs here and there. But if the story isn't worth it, then what's the point? Most of these reviews are saying the story is just there.
Yeah, I would say the more pervasive issue in current Ubisoft production, even more than the rote open world formula, is everything related to story and narration.

They are totally unable to write interesting stories, compelling dialogue, surprising quests and complex characters, and have not done so since AC2. I really do not understand why they do not sort out this huge problem, all the more considering that they generally have high production values regarding cutscenes and voice acting and have ton of writers, and that they are trying so much to emulate Rockstar and CDPR productions which are defined by very strong storytelling.

They must be the worst third party publisher on that front, as even EA manages to make characters at least likable in the Jedi series.

This should be their top 1 priority imho, and this is what keeps them time and time again to release a true critical darling.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It’s Ubisoft game, it’s EXACTLY what I expected from them. Same way I completely trust devs like Vanillaware to deliver regardless what “score” it gets, i also trust Ubisoft make a game that I will NRVER will enjoy regardless what “score“ it gets.

tusharngf

The peoples over there really don't seem to enjoy making games anymore. What has ubisoft made recently that stood out as a passion project? You get Star wars license for the first time since ages when EA was clinging to it, and you totally don't feel like anyone in the team of directors really wanted this. Made by committee?
Standard farcry template game. This is far cry with star wars elements. Same design choices, same npc behavior, same gameplay components. They simply lack passion to make something different.

This will be like a worse version of RDR2. Though I think even that game had a mediocre story.

The story will most likely suck, there will be tons of features that exist for no real reason other than to give the game extra flashy mechanics, but the world will be pretty immersive from a glance and the environmental graphics will look nice.

Top Bottom