• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws | Review Thread

phant0m

I am really curious. Has Ubisoft created any good game this gen, that has a good story, decent voice acting, and NPC design?
AC Mirage really wasn’t bad, esp if you liked older AC games before they started doing “numbers go up” gear treadmill.

Decent MC, good world and done in 20ish hours

Real talk though Prince of Persia Lost Crown is lowkey the best game they’ve made probably since GR Wildlands

Last edited:

Kurotri

I am really curious. Has Ubisoft created any good game this gen, that has a good story, decent voice acting, and NPC design?
AC Mirage and PoP The Lost Crown are good. They are also, interestingly, smaller-sized games. It's their big AAAAAAA games that have started to suck real bad and AC Shadows doesn't inspire confidence either. Ubi really needs a hard reset of some sort.

Isa

Gold Member
WTF is wrong with her face?

And people are not talking about the gunfire with I find pretty bad imo.
Yeah I noticed that too, the gunfire is way off. The enemies are taking multiple blaster shots to the face, like, do they get regular ionized facials to build up some sort of resistance? I saw in the Matty review that he complained about the pistol's weakness but dang that completely deflates the impact, plus there was not even a flinch from being hit.

Maybe that's why they pushed the stealth so hard, and spread things so thin? To fill checkmarks on "features" but avoid having to make anything deeper in substance, probably in regards to negotiated or mandated release schedules. Plus its crazy taht AI is still so weak these days. I know its tough for some but dang its so "gamey" when I watch players get insta-failed from a mile away and then they run up all
austin powers dancing GIF
and then nothing. Ah well, thems the breaks. Crazy to think I used to buy so many ultramax editions from this company to absolutely zero. Maybe one day they'll want my money, but I suspect they'll end up getting sold off, or selling their assets to avoid failure. Those licensced IP's can't be cheap.

Success

@Mattyp has become one of my go-to gaming channels to watch. Really good reviews and general coverage.
If Mattyp is reading this then I want to tell him something bluntly and I hope he won't take it the wrong way.

Found out about you from Defining Duke as I wanted to hear an Xbox podcast as the drama unfolded. Now don't take this the wrong way but your podcast is pretty damn good!

The fact that you state your real feelings and are not a shill is really awesome. Plus your real love for games really does come through.

This message is worded in such a way to remind you that you have plenty of people that like the real no bull you, focus on growing that audience. Not the people that are trying to rage-bait.

GooseMan69

It’s amazing how much low level slop Disney has pumped out since getting their grubby hands on Star Wars. Imagine if they concentrated their efforts on less content, but put love and time into it. Instead of putting the IP through the content grinder and putting out dud after dud. Expensive duds mind you!

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
If Mattyp is reading this then I want to tell him something bluntly and I hope he won't take it the wrong way.

Found out about you from Defining Duke as I wanted to hear an Xbox podcast as the drama unfolded. Now don't take this the wrong way but your podcast is pretty damn good!

The fact that you state your real feelings and are not a shill is really awesome. Plus your real love for games really does come through.

This message is worded in such a way to remind you that you have plenty of people that like the real no bull you, focus on growing that audience. Not the people that are trying to rage-bait.

Those guys do a great job.

Stuart360

I'm watching someone play the game (it is the PS5 version in performance mode to be fair), and its hard to believe the same studio made the beautiful AVATAR game. The graphics in this look very mid.

Last edited:

Nydius

She’s not even ugly, she's just not human looking, it's really odd. Unless at some point in the story you find out she's actually a lizard alien it makes no sense.
MattyPlay’s comparison to Mass Effect Andromeda is spot on. They both have that same plasticine, elastic look to them. Like their faces are Play-Doh poorly molded over a skeleton. Andromeda got absolutely trashed for it, so too should Outlaws.
GTtbS3w.jpeg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Her ingame model face looks waay more terrible than that single picture that people used to accuse everyone of "nitpicking". Honestly I think the model should be against this, because she's actually pretty. They are doing disservice to her.
I was thinking the same.

She is not super butt ugly but there is something severely wronge with her face and digital acting.

GymWolf

Gold Member
MattyPlay’s comparison to Mass Effect Andromeda is spot on. They both have that same plasticine, elastic look to them. Like their faces are Play-Doh poorly molded over a skeleton. Andromeda got absolutely trashed for it, so too should Outlaws.

GIF by Giphy QA
Tbf, that's the most realistic "i just dropped a turd in my pants" facial expression ever made, and i'm not even joking.

as you may have suspected, people who despised this game's trailers/previews surprisingly enough also despise the finished product...

simpatico

Gold Member
I figured out the face model for the main character and I believe it goes back to old school simping. I guarantee the cute new girl did that face model. She turned it in beaming with pride. The cuck who approves models and whatnot didn’t have the heart to tell her it sucked. Thus, here we are

Last edited:
I was playing some old Ubi games a while back and it's amazing how good they used to be at this. The voice acting and animation in the old AC games is top class, or Vaas in Far Cry 3 - or even the first Watch Dogs. Think of your buddy Jordi.

The regression at Ubisoft in the last decade has been quite something.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This unrelated but I hate, HATE how some youtubers make weird face for their thumbnails....I find it super cringy and makes me never want to watch their videos even their content might be good.

Why? is that effective as click bait?
some consulting firm somewhere started it by telling everyone it will increase views. Now it has become apart of the YT culture. so has straight up AI generator lies where whats in the thumbnails are not even in the video. The worst is the fake movie trailers.

You tube could put a stop to it all but they just keep putting more and more commercial stops in videos instead.

TheUsual

Gold Member
This unrelated but I hate, HATE how some youtubers make weird face for their thumbnails....I find it super cringy and makes me never want to watch their videos even their content might be good.

Why? is that effective as click bait?
I swear Matty has said in the past on either Defining Duke or Sacred Symbols+ the reason he does this is because it does draw traffic. I.e., it works to get viewers.

I could be misremembering or misinterpreting as it's been a very long time, but I believe he has addressed this in the past.

Stuart360

Yeah her face doesnt look human, and that manly jaw and chin dimple is just, well very 2024.
Also on the change outfit screen, she is so flat chested and her body looks like a mans.

this ideoloy is so fucked up.

DaGwaphics

That's the kind of mediocrity in scores I expected for this one. I'll definitely check it out on a discount.

Yeah her face doesnt look human, and that manly jaw and chin dimple is just, well very 2024.

Yeah. I don't know what is with the art departments on these games and the manly women, it's certainly not what women look like on average where I'm at. I can understand variety in NPCs and things like that, but it's gotten ridiculous. Do they think it is offensive to have a normal looking woman in there?

Last edited:
Top Bottom