• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Advanced Tickets Info: Marathons, Exclusives etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is kind of funny. 5 years from now we'll have noon showings on the preceding day.

Well initially some films decided to have prescreenings before the midnight premier...now its kinda become standard.

Soon movies will bump back the release date to Thursday instead of friday. I prefer that because I am easily able to go to Thursday showings while kids have school so they cant go and I can enjoy my movies without some 14 year olds on their phones the whole time

mattp

^^^^^^^^^^ what he said.....was about to post that most places have 7pm showings on thursday nights with additional showings.

i wish there was an easier way to get some actual info on this
i'm trying to coordinate this shit with people and 7pm and midnight are pretty far apart and change things lol

So I just looked further through my theater's ticket times (I didn't look further than Wednesday, since I wanted to go on release day) and apparently they're actually showing it 24/7... I figured the US would only do this, but having theaters in the Netherlands do this is pretty insane.

Midnight screenings as a practice basically stopped in 2012. Studios now do 'em at 7pm the preceding day (and some theaters will sometimes add a 9pm screening as well)

Same general principle, just hours earlier.
I didn't know that, interesting.

Was it because of the Aurora tragedy?
Not necessarily. I'm sure it impacted the decision in that attendance to late showings was down as a result of the tragedy, so earlier times would help lure people back. But more than that, I think it was a mixture of a more palatable time for general audiences, cheaper costs for staffing, and most importantly generating hype and inflating those opening numbers.

anyone know if the marathon tickets will be on sale at the same time as the other tickets, or will they go on sale that thursday as the star wars post seems to imply?

The Star Wars Marathon Event is the ultimate fan experience. All seven movies. One epic journey. Guests will see each of the six previously released Star Wars episodes in digital 2D beginning with The Phantom Menace and concluding with the opening of Star Wars: The Force Awakens in 3D! Guests will also receive a lanyard featuring exclusive marathon art. Coming December 17.

Cheebo

Banned
anyone know if the marathon tickets will be on sale at the same time as the other tickets, or will they go on sale that thursday as the star wars post seems to imply?

You are reading that incorrectly. The marathon is Dec 17th, that is what they mean by coming Dec 17th. The marathon ticket sales are tonight.

Ticket sales (ALL opening ticket sales) on sale tonight, around 7:30 PST/10:30 EST

Marathon screenings begin 3:00 AM on Thursday Dec 17th.

Does anybody know what kind of prices to expect for the marathon of all 7 movies? They are doing one near my house, but they can't tell me how much it will cost until it is time to preorder tonight. I am picking up tickets for myself and a friend and I need to know how much money to bring...

Magwik

Banned
Does anybody know what kind of prices to expect for the marathon of all 7 movies? They are doing one near my house, but they can't tell me how much it will cost until it is time to preorder tonight. I am picking up tickets for myself and a friend and I need to know how much money to bring...
Apparently around $50-60USD which is a pretty good deal

Cheebo

Banned

Around $50 is what is being reported.

Cheebo

Banned
i think if you're dedicated enough to marathon them you're probably walking in once ot starts

Big mistake, hardcore star wars fans mostly support the prequels. The theater will be packed from the second The Phantom Menace begins. Walking in halfway through and expecting a good seat won't work out well for you unless its pre-assigned seating.

My local 8 screen multiplex has 29 screenings listed for opening day. I've never seen that many listed there for a single film, ever.

thebeeks

Banned
Midnight screenings as a practice basically stopped in 2012. Studios now do 'em at 7pm the preceding day (and some theaters will sometimes add a 9pm screening as well)

Didn't know this. Last time I went to a midnight showing was Watchmen
(no regrets)

A 7pm Thurs showing is an absolute lifesaver though. The next day is my brother-in-law's college graduation ceremony. My day was looking like I'd see Ep 7 at midnight, go to bed around 3:30-ish, get up at 6, and drive four hours from DFW to College Station. Oof.

Big mistake, hardcore star wars fans mostly support the prequels. The theater will be packed from the second The Phantom Menace begins. Walking in halfway through and expecting a good seat won't work out well for you unless its pre-assigned seating.

well then i guess i'll just have to hope tucson won't be so packed based off of the fact everybody going wil be college students celebrating the end of finals week

Well LONDON-GAF, it's nearly twelve hours later and I still haven't been able to book BFI Imax tickets :-( the force is not strong with this one.

They still do midnight showings. It's just that the 7PM showings have been in addition.

They still do midnight showings

That's why I put "basically" in the post you're quoting. I know some theaters still put their employees through that bullshit for various reasons, but it's a lot fewer.

Midnight screenings have mostly been supplanted by the 7pm ones. 7pm screenings aren't supplementing midnights, they're largely replacing them.

Cheebo

Banned
well then i guess i'll just have to hope tucson won't be so packed based off of the fact everybody going wil be college students celebrating the end of finals week
It's a college town, this will sell out within minutes. Especially with so few marathon showings nationwide. The audience will be packed from the first film on. To hope it won't be packed just..that is not going to happen lol. There are few marathon showings nationwide. Hardcore Star Wars fans will travel to wherever they can do it. Your marathon showing will sell out fast and be packed due to hardcore Star Wars fans.

Most who buy this will be hardcore long time fans who will take the day off work.

Magwik

Banned
That's why I put "basically" in the post you're quoting. I know some theaters still put their employees through that bullshit for various reasons, but it's a lot fewer.

Midnight screenings have mostly been supplanted by the 7pm ones. 7pm screenings aren't supplementing midnights, they're largely replacing them.
7pm is a great time to see a movie too

It's a college town, this will sell out within minutes. Especially with so few marathon showings nationwide. The audience will be packed from the first film on. To hope it won't be packed just..that is not going to happen lol. There are few marathon showings nationwide. Hardcore Star Wars fans will travel to wherever they can do it. Your marathon showing will sell out fast and be packed due to hardcore Star Wars fans.

Most who buy this will be hardcore long time fans who will take the day off work.

well then, maybe i can convince my professor to let me take my last final the day before

BELIEVE

edit: also three better theaters are showing it up in phoenix. if you're in flagstaff or middle or nowhere az you'd go to one of those showings. the only ones that would go to the tucson one are people in south az who care that much about star wars, and that'd only be college students at ua and maybe peeps in yuma? so out of towners coming in isn't going to be a huge problem.

Nibel

This is me waiting for my local cinemas to open up ticket sales

dsFDynU.gif

Come on Germany, you can do this

Called my local theater to ask when tickets go up and they said "they're still in negotiations with Disney". WTF. I go to the web site and there's no listings. Carmike, by the way.

Chairhome

I called my only real IMAX theater and they said they would sell advance tickets when they're allowed to, so a friend of mine is going to ensure we get tickets in case fandango goes down (i think its a possibility). I think im going to go there, too...

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's tempting to go to the El Capitan, but man, I just don't think I have the energy anymore these days to go waiting outside of theaters for hours to see a movie. I admit it was fun for the first two prequels, despite the movies being bad, but I'm old and tired now. Me and my wife will probably see it on the weekend after opening day, during an early showing. Man, I feel old.

Armadilo

Banned
US GAF, so I heard the best chances of getting tickets are through the fandango app because you can have your credit card info on Fandango and ready for when it comes available, so what about reserve seating ? I have not gone to the cinema recently. Ok so do I choose the seat, is it simple finding the seat ?

Boke1879

Do you guys think they'll announce how much money they've made off preorder tickets? Or will they just wait until opening day/weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom