• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens video release date, editions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixels

Lol I preordered it and it wants me to buy it... Note to self: you don't need to preorder digital content...

Damnit. I'm starting to doubt it's going to be up. Was really looking forward to watching that tonight. I need to go to bed before I cave and buy it on Google Play

Hell, it seems to have vanished from the store altogether

Yeah I noticed that. What the hell Sony.

I've seen games disappear shortly before release while they update the store, this is my first experience with preordering a movie.

Maybe it's the same? Either way it should definitely be up by now. Disappointing

Mœbius

Think that was a shot purely for the trailer since it generated so much hype and shit. The scene that was actually in the film wouldn't have nearly the same effect.
Yeah; it's also worth noting that in the teaser scene his hood is up (in the final film the hood is not up) - so it's clearly something they filmed differently for the trailer.

El Topo

Wasn't this movie supposed to be on Netflix Canada today?? I remember reading that somewhere

There are always sites that claim stuff like that. Same with Age of Ultron last year. Sorry.
I think there *is* a special deal for Netflix Canada that affects SW7 though, i.e. the movie should be on Netflix Canada in 2016 (at some point) if I'm not mistaken.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
My Itunes says the 10th in the Uk D:

There are always sites that claim stuff like that. Same with Age of Ultron last year. Sorry.
I think there *is* a special deal for Netflix Canada that affects SW7 though, i.e. the movie should be on Netflix Canada in 2016 (at some point) if I'm not mistaken.

ah ok, :( i was looking forward to it. Bah well, ill wait for the bluray

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So did they never film Maz using the force to drop rocks on those Stormtroopers? 'Cause that's what I wanted to see in the hallway deleted scene but it wasn't there.

The audition tapes and the full table read weren't on the BluRay either.

This is one of those things where they'll release the Ultimate Edition with a ton of extra shit, right? jj y u do dis

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

This is one of those things where they'll release the Ultimate Edition with a ton of extra shit, right? jj y u do dis
As a person who's been to table reads, trust me, you're being done a favor.

The novelty really wears off so just narrowing it down to highlights is for the best

So did they never film Maz using the force to drop rocks on those Stormtroopers? 'Cause that's what I wanted to see in the hallway deleted scene but it wasn't there.

because we'll all buy this movie as many times as they'll release it and they know that?

RyanW

Woo Walmart's website restocked on their BB8 special edition. I know I'm late but when I noticed that version was going to be $5 cheaper than the combo pack they were going to sale in the store I had to jump in. Plus gotta collect those galactic connexions

Edit: Earliest it'll seem to come in would be Thursday :/ I assume I can get that cover with the galactic connexion in the store so I guess I'll just wait.

6MDmSbh.jpg

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting this fucker in the mail until Tuesday.

Ok, this will probably sound weird and I'm probably the only person who feels this way, but this has been bugging me since I first saw the movie opening day. Does the slightly different Star Wars main theme song bug anyone else or is it just me? I'm not sure how to describe it in music terms, but the first couple of notes is slightly different and comes off a bit flat or comes off lacking compared to previous iterations. It's just that opening note sounds off. I thought maybe it was the theater or something, but now that I have it at home and can compare, it's definitely different and off to me.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Ok, this will probably sound weird and I'm probably the only person who feels this way, but this has been bugging me since I first saw the movie opening day. Does the slightly different Star Wars main theme song bug anyone else or is it just me? I'm not sure how to describe it in music terms, but the first couple of notes is slightly different and comes off a bit flat or comes off lacking compared to previous iterations. It's just that opening note sounds off. I thought maybe it was the theater or something, but now that I have it at home and can compare, it's definitely different and off to me.

The fact that Williams didn't make use of the London Symphony Orchestra this time may have something to do with it.

NYR94

Sounds different to me as well. For what it's worth, I believe a guest conductor is credited with conducting the main theme and possibly one or two other tracks on the OST. So it could be that.

I had no idea they didn't use the London Symphony Orchestra this time. Is there a reason why? It's really noticeable to me. Hearing the Star Wars music with the opening crawl usually always gets me excited when seeing a movie for the first time except this time it was weird when watching Ep7 and felt off. I could never place it until now. They really need to go back to them.

Tookay

I had no idea they didn't use the London Symphony Orchestra this time. Is there a reason why? It's really noticeable to me. Hearing the Star Wars music with the opening crawl usually always gets me excited when seeing a movie for the first time except this time it was weird when watching Ep7 and felt off. I could never place it until now. They really need to go back to them.

John Williams is old and didn't want to travel to/live in London.

I think it's because he doesn't really want to travel that far at his age.

The main theme definitely sounds different but I can't say it bothered me that much. The intro is the most noticeable bit.

It was a health issue actually, which caused him to drop out of scoring Bridge of Spies and staying in the US for Star Wars. The guy still does amazing work, but traveling all the way to London for work simply isn't viable for him anymore.

It's not really that, it's just that the instrumentation/mixing on this one is weird. He also wasn't conducting on that cue, so that might have had something to do with how/why the instruments sounded the way they did.

But yeah, the opening title's first few seconds sounds kind of thin and flat, and it's largely to do with the lack of bass (which might be an overcorrection due to how goddamned bassy the main title was in the first teaser) and the brass being being pretty low in the soundstage immediately after that first hit.

If you A/B the Prequel main title with this one, you can hear it. The emphasis seems to be on high strings and woodwinds instead of the brass, and that's what causes the main title to sound sorta aired-out at first.

There are versions of the main title on the Special Edition soundtrack for A New Hope that have a very similar sound even with the London Symphony Orchestra, so it's not the fact a different set of musicians was being used. Hell, I'd be willing to bet if you were willing to do it yourself, you could take any one of those alternate cuts from A New Hope and splice those three seconds in to replace what's currently on the soundtrack, and it'd sound seamless.

Honestly, I bet someone's already done it.

I think it's because he doesn't really want to travel that far at his age.

The main theme definitely sounds different but I can't say it bothered me that much. The intro is the most noticeable bit.

It was a health issue actually, which caused him to drop out of scoring Bridge of Spies and staying in the US for Star Wars. The guy still does amazing work, but traveling all the way to London for work simply isn't viable for him anymore.

Ah, thanks for the insight. Totally understandable.

It's not really that, it's just that the instrumentation/mixing on this one is weird. He also wasn't conducting on that cue, so that might have had something to do with how/why the instruments sounded the way they did.

But yeah, the opening title's first few seconds sounds kind of thin and flat, and it's largely to do with the lack of bass (which might be an overcorrection due to how goddamned bassy the main title was in the first teaser) and the brass being being pretty low in the soundstage immediately after that first hit.

If you A/B the Prequel main title with this one, you can hear it. The emphasis seems to be on high strings and woodwinds instead of the brass, and that's what causes the main title to sound sorta aired-out at first.

There are versions of the main title on the Special Edition soundtrack for A New Hope that have a very similar sound even with the London Symphony Orchestra, so it's not the fact a different set of musicians was being used. Hell, I'd be willing to bet if you were willing to do it yourself, you could take any one of those alternate cuts from A New Hope and splice those three seconds in to replace what's currently on the soundtrack, and it'd sound seamless.

Honestly, I bet someone's already done it.

Ya, it's just the first few seconds that take me out of it for a bit then it all kind of fades away but it's just that opening note that I anticipate. I thought it might be something on the lower frequency range but couldn't tell if it was the mix, certain instruments or what. Like I said, I'm no expert in music. So thanks for the more detailed analysis. I hope they correct it in the future; I guess we'll see with Rogue One.

Never thought about re-editing those couple of seconds, but I may have to look into it since I rip the BR anyway. Funny to think I'm thinking about editing it when all I ever wanted was an unaltered original trilogy.

Griegite

still a junior

It's quite something that the loss of one player (Maurice Murphy) can alter what you're used to. He played (I think 1st Trumpet) on SW1-6, Superman, and most LSO recordings between 1977 and 2007 when he retired. One of the most heard players on the planet, that is for certain.

His first Gig for the LSO as fulltime? The original SW score.

mjc

The Target exclusive version is SUPER thin...which is weird. Gave me a moments pause but it's the version to get with the bonus features.

TARGET – The Target Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-ray Combo Pack comes with exclusive packaging and an added 20 minutes of bonus content, including never-before-seen interviews with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega and a deeper look at the movie’s costumes and weaponry

So if anyone knows, are the added 20 minutes just the interviews and some side clip about the costomes and weapons? Or are there actual extra 20 minutes in the feature itself?

Plz and thank you. this will help me decide if i should get the target one or bestbuy steelbook one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom