• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Eeeeee

Well I received my new (used) laptop via ups today, only had about an hour to mess with it before work but I can actually run the game with everything at max now!

Funny thing with the resolution though, there's no real built in support for 1366x768 so it tried giving me nasty ass 1024x something which would then stretch across and be all blurry. There was a variable.txt file I had to manually edit but there is a fix, just in case other people are having that problem :p

I'll have to have some fun with the computer tonight ^^

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
So I just finished my second terran game, inspired by what I had to do last night, and it was hilarious. My teammate was terran but somehow was worse than me, let himself get muta harassed into oblivion, although I do admit I kind of left him hanging, so his main goes down and he leaves. I then watched as the zerg tried to get through my wall and got slaughtered, I finished the mutalisks off and then said fuck it, let's do this.

Took my MMM ball and just left my base for dead, steamrolled both zerg armies and their mains, leaving them flailing around with a few units trying to finish off my base. Just as red zerg is finishing my last depots he says: "GG I win". I give a little chuckle as I polish off his base, seeing as they neglected to finish off my ally's. I knock both of them back to the stone age then go back to defend what was left of my ally's structures. Leave half of my ball there and run around in Medivacs to finish them off. They whined the entire time about how they were gonna tell Blizz and I was cheating. I almost felt bad beating on the little WoW players :p Took 38 minutes.

Milabrega said:
Yes, current matchmaking is designed to find the quickest match and not to match by league. So in platinum you can be facing people as low as silver I believe.

Though to note..

It still checks your League first.. then other leagues.

I can tell you that DeltronZero and I in 2v2's have played nothing but Platinum opponents usually in the top 20.

It really does try before it looks elsewhere.

EDIT: Damnit Zealous :lol

Procarbine said:
So I just finished my second terran game, inspired by what I had to do last night, and it was hilarious. My teammate was terran but somehow was worse than me, let himself get muta harassed into oblivion, although I do admit I kind of left him hanging, so his main goes down and he leaves. I then watched as the zerg tried to get through my wall and got slaughtered, I finished the mutalisks off and then said fuck it, let's do this.

Took my MMM ball and just left my base for dead, steamrolled both zerg armies and their mains, leaving them flailing around with a few units trying to finish off my base. Just as red zerg is finishing my last depots he says: "GG I win". I give a little chuckle as I polish off his base, seeing as they neglected to finish off my ally's. I knock both of them back to the stone age then go back to defend what was left of my ally's structures. Leave half of my ball there and run around in Medivacs to finish them off. They whined the entire time about how they were gonna tell Blizz and I was cheating. I almost felt bad beating on the little WoW players :p Took 38 minutes.

lol. Shocked they never made banelings.

Ask Demi.. they rip through MMM balls good ;)

Won

Man, I need more time to play this. Went 2-2 today. Still fail hard at macroing as soon I hit midgame. Need to get better at hotkeying! :(

Trasher

Wow. Mint ignored me on SC2. Thought we would be cool since I had played with him in HoN for a while. Whatever. Just notified Blizzard of his map hacking. Hopefully that account gets canned soon.

Trasher said:
Wow. Mint ignored me on SC2. Thought we would be cool since I had played with him in HoN for a while. Whatever. Just notified Blizzard of his map hacking. Hopefully that account gets canned soon.
He ignored everyone from GAF.

Shocked he is still attempting to play.. I bet he was getting spammed by people from Battle.net forums about his lame map hacking..

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Trasher said:
So he's going to get away with it? Lame...
depends on the type of keylogger his maphack comes with. his account could be stolen every few days for the rest of the beta.

but yeah, no action from blizzard against maphackers. yet.

Pandaman said:
depends on the type of keylogger his maphack comes with. his account could be stolen every few days for the rest of the beta.

but yeah, no action from blizzard against maphackers. yet.
maybe the anticheat code is not yet in the client

lol keyloggers on a maphack? no way!

How much information do you even need to put an authenticator on an account? I would think you would need to know more than just the password and the email of the account. At least the security question answer.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
hmm can't tell if im getting worse, or if everyone else is getting better...
I'm sticking with terran exclusively right now, still trying to figure out all the different strategies against the different races.
Any terran players have some advice to counter roaches? Hellions work great for drone harrass and against hydras, but roaches have too much armor.

feel free to add me: pedrothelion.peter

Zzoram

pedr0theli0n said:
hmm can't tell if im getting worse, or if everyone else is getting better...
I'm sticking with terran exclusively right now, still trying to figure out all the different strategies against the different races.
Any terran players have some advice to counter roaches? Hellions work great for drone harrass and against hydras, but roaches have too much armor.

feel free to add me: pedrothelion.peter

Mauraders with Marine support works excellently against Roaches. It's Banelings that seem impossible to counter, since they can kill MM super fast, but if you don't get MM, Roaches overrun you.

hobart

Trasher what's yer ID?

Also... wasn't there a longer list than the one on the Online SC2 thread? Am I dreaming something up?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I had a dream last night that among other things I picked up Starcraft 2 at a retailer, I apparently didn't know it was out. The thing was in a big box reminiscent of older PC Games with the velcro lift up tab on the front (think bigger than the earthbound box). It was pretty hilarious once I woke up :lol

Wedge7

Zzoram said:
Mauraders with Marine support works excellently against Roaches. It's Banelings that seem impossible to counter, since they can kill MM super fast, but if you don't get MM, Roaches overrun you.

Heh, banelings are a pain in the ass, but a tactic alot of plat zerg are using is going for the 1base ultra quick baneling break. Had about 3-4 try it in a row on me. I guess they all saw the replays of it owning when T goes for quick fac/helion harass, which I suppose it rapes. Kinda hilarious though, as with anything, anytime players of lower skill try nice innovative builds but lack proper timing and micro, generally doesn't do as well.

I mean, its very transparent what their doing, I stop the attack like twice, they lost shit ton of gas, and I almost laugh out loud on my computer when I scan and see the desperation Spire going down. Its already gg.

V_Arnold

While I am quite busy this week, it would be aweosome to play some friendly tutor matches against some fellow gaffers, like...tomorrow night?

I am GMT+1, EU.
And I suck.

Every time it comes to both side turtling, I overcome my enemies defense and win. 90%+.
But every time it comes to someone rushing, I just leave spots open, or completely ignore what is going on in the map (proxy...), therefore I die in the first 10 mins... not sure how to improve on that part, but will try hard.

Oldern.hun is my SCII name, add me if you are a beginner or have a feeeling for some tutor match :D

Copper league -.- (but 5:11 is not THAT bad, isnt it? : D)

How do you know if you get a key to invite a friend with? Does Blizzard just send it via email? Or do I need to check on the battle.net website or something?

Mudkips

Banned
LOL mint got caught maphacking, got banned from GAF, but gets away with it in Blizz land?

Hope his bnet ID gets nuked!

Edit: Read through the past 400-500 posts. More Turtle drama too! :lol :lol

When's the next update supposed to hit, damn it?
I haven't played in a few days (gettin' bored). I need some 3v3 and 4v4!

TurtleSnatcher said:
Yea I got 2 on that first friend invite wave.. so I'm sure they are doing it for the others that didnt get one initially.

did you have two accounts that got opted in? That'd be amazing if you got two more friend invites on the two friend invites that you got already o_O

Yaweee

Mudkips said:
LOL mint got caught maphacking, got banned from GAF, but gets away with it in Blizz land?

Hope his bnet ID gets nuked!

Edit: Read through the past 400-500 posts. More Turtle drama too! :lol :lol

When's the next update supposed to hit, damn it?
I haven't played in a few days (gettin' bored). I need some 3v3 and 4v4!

He didn't get banned from GAF for cheating, he got banned for account sharing (presumably)

oroboros

hey, anyone feel free to add me, ghostcoda.kne

I'm a copper noob right now, so anyone else who wants to practice getting the fundamentals down that would rock. peace.

Mudkips

Banned
Is that 4v4 map pic new? The race portraits aren't like the current ones at all.
(Or are they? I pay so little attention I rarely know what race my opponents are. :lol :lol But I seem to always just see the planet background.)

Trasher

hobart said:
Trasher what's yer ID?

Also... wasn't there a longer list than the one on the Online SC2 thread? Am I dreaming something up?
trasher.trasher

I'll be on later. Had to take a test for my class. We should do some GAF 2v2s.

Mudkips said:
Is that 4v4 map pic new? The race portraits aren't like the current ones at all.
(Or are they? I pay so little attention I rarely know what race my opponents are. :lol :lol But I seem to always just see the planet background.)

not sure how new it is but it looks exactly like the map mila and someone else were discussing a few pages back

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
rofl. i just played a game where i decided to be gutsy and SCV rush... i failed (epicly! i think i killed a marine and a single SCV, but kept his workers from mining... i guessed the wrong base) and still won. i ended up expanding to 6(!!) bases and he had two. i massed a huge battlecruiser army and he had no counter for that. he called me cheesy :(

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Cheeto said:
Well the same still applies, Get zealots early and once you have a few throw a cannon or two up at the entrance for extra support... and remember it doesn't hurt to send an early scout to see what kind of forces they are massing.
yep, i do all that. doesn't seem to make much difference though.... i think i need to harrass early game and get up his ramp before he has a chance to block it.

Corum said:
With Protoss, who are slightly slower at getting units out than the other races at the start, it's more about utilizing the units, you have got, efficiently. You probably know all this, but if not, make sure you've got an effective choke point, typically using a pylon and warp gate at the top of the ramp, and funnel them so that 16 zerglings actually turn into waves of 3 or 4 zerglings which you're zealots can cut through.
yeah, i do all that with choke points etc. but with terran it doesn't really reduce the damage he can output since his units are ranged.

Corum said:
Get a probe on a watchtower so you can see when the opponent is making the push so it gives you to time to chrono-boost your warp gates for some additional units if you're a bit low.
you can chrono boost a warp gate? i thought that only worked on gateways?

Ice Monkey said:
i wanna know if with the map editor and mods you'll be able to create custom multiplayer games of TWENTY people (10v10).

Top Bottom