• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
TurtleSnatcher said:
i havent seen anyone use illusions yet.. makes me kinda want too :)

Do they have a decent amount of life.. can detectors see through em?
i've used illusions a few times in gaf games, its loads of fun. ^^

Orangepeel said:
I always thought it was a weird decision if they can tell the difference, I mean I'm pretty sure hallucination isn't overpowered in sc1 right? Maybe the fact that you can make a copy of any unit you want, without even having the proper tech makes some weird difference.
it does make a huge difference when your opponent focus fires a fake colossus and lets you get free kills in exchange for a unit you spent no resources on and does no damage.

its also great for warpray rushes and hallucinated immortals have the same shield bonus's as real ones, so they'll still soak up alot of damage.

panda i thought the illusions were easier to kill than the real thing?

Also anyone watching lost? This appears to be the first interesting one where something happens since a long time.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
http://sclegacy.com/news/23-sc2/632-first-cusom-starcraft-ii-editor-and-td-map

First Cusom StarCraft II Editor and TD Map

The folks at sc2mapster.com have created the first custom map with a custom editor called Milky Way editor, which was created by examining the API. The following is footage of the first custom map in StarCraft II, a rudimentary tower defense map created without the yet-to-be-released Galaxy Map Editor:

There is even a preliminary API documentation for Galaxy containing the list of functions that we will see once the editor is released. Check out sc2mapster.com, which is sure to be an excellent modding website for StarCraft II.
The power of the inter-ma-nets never ceases to amaze me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
JWong said:
Do you guys need to accept the Add Friend?

No one seems to be online for me.
It's automatic, just wait.

Apath

Pft, I don't need SC2 anymore. I just unlocked WC3 to display in my native resolution. BOW DOWN TO MY POWER!.... *cries*

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ice Monkey said:
just posting to confirm that friend invite wave 2 has definitely commenced.
*looks left*
*looks right*

...Hello friend
smiley-face-usb_2.jpg

Tomorrow could be an awesome day, I found a gaming laptop, Asus G50VT-X1, for dirt cheap on ebay and took the plunge, and now maybe they'll start a new invite wave to random people. High dreams.

ps lost was super fantastico tonight :D

*forgot my smiley face*

*edit* wholey crap, they made a custom map without even having the editor? I don't really have any idea of how difficult that would be but it couldn't have been a walk in the park, that's awesome.

Yeah, I just got the friend invite notification in my email:

StarCraft® II: Wings of Liberty™ Beta Test – Invite a Friend

Congratulations! This is an additional invitation to the beta test for Blizzard Entertainment’s StarCraft® II: Wings of Liberty™ for you to share with a friend! You are receiving this email because you are currently participating in the StarCraft II beta test, and we want to encourage you to test out some of the social features of the revamped Battle.net® online-gaming service by inviting one of your friends to play with you. This email contains your additional beta key for you to send to a friend, along with instructions to help your friend get started.

This key can only be used once to upgrade a Battle.net account to participate in the beta test, and while we encourage you to share this key with someone you know, it must not be traded or sold.

Once your friend has joined the beta test, be sure to add him or her as a Real ID friend by opening your friends list in the bottom-right corner of the Battle.net interface and selecting Add Friend. Enter your friend's Battle.net email address in the Real ID Friend field that pops up, and then send your request. Once your friend accepts the request, you’ll be able to communicate more easily, quickly join parties together for some team-based 2v2 games, and more.

So what are you waiting for? Send this beta test invitation below to your lucky friend and start playing some exciting team games!
etc etc

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
As somebody who was invited during the last wave with one of the friend keys, I have not gotten an e-mail.

ZealousD said:
As somebody who was invited during the last wave with one of the friend keys, I have not gotten an e-mail.
I was also given a key via friend invite last week, so maybe all of the emails just haven't been sent out yet.

msv

ZealousD said:
I'm guessing it's somewhat random? Seems to be handed out at a slow pace as well, over an hour since the first were dished out. Here's to hoping they'll send out plenty for everyone.

Cday

Banned
This could very well be the best video game soundtrack ever. Anyway, what's the maximum number of larva a single hatchery can have via the Queen?

They've already said there won't necessarily be an open open beta right? Hopefully at least near the end they'll just flood inboxes with keys to stress test their servers, at least a lota people would get to play finally.

Cday said:
This could very well be the best video game soundtrack ever. Anyway, what's the maximum number of larva a single hatchery can have via the Queen?

7, and then the extra ones start to die off slowly

Trasher

Sorry, Mila. I would have been totally up for some GAF games, but I am letting my friend play and I am going to get to bed here soon. I would REALLY like to get some GAF games going sometime though. We should set up a certain night where we all try to get on or something.

i'm happy that the battle.net system basically guarantees you'll never lose your account even if someone changes the password. That's good news for account sharing I would think.

JWong

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
With Gaffers probably.. Dont know about ladder.. honestly its all gonna be reset haha.. I wanna play around with some other races etc.
Really? Why am I even trying... tho it's fun.

Kenak said:
Does this mean no more wave invites? :(
Originally I thought there would still be waves, however maybe they'll opt for the friend invite solution solely. Before, wave invites got a lot of people into the beta who were ultimately uninterested. With friend invites, they can send to those who play a lot, who will more likely invite their friends who will also continue to play. It seems to be working though; I've noticed that the amount of players on stays at around 10,000+ no matter when, even on weekdays and late nights.

MY FRIEND JUST GAVE ME A KEY!!!
confirmed they 2nd friend wave crap
I AM IN THE BETA. so Protoss or Terren?? any ways i cant wait to play with you guys 2maro
I AM IN THE F***ING BETA!!!!!

fifasnipe2224 said:
MY FRIEND JUST GAVE ME A KEY!!!
confirmed they 2nd friend wave crap
I AM IN THE BETA. so Protoss or Terren?? any ways i cant wait to play with you guys 2maro
I AM IN THE F***ING BETA!!!!!
:lol I wanna say I'd probably react in the same way, grats

Yaweee

Ice Monkey said:
yaweee, neoultima and orangepeel, do i know any of you from sc1?

You posted a lot in the thread, but what username were you playing under? I don't see any variation or "ice" or "monkey" on any of the APM charts, so I'm not sure whether I played any games with you.

argh, I want to offer to someone my new account that i already promised to some friends (since they aren't on right now) but there's a few problems:

1. I don't know who deserves it the most, and there's apparently a list of 200 people on the key begging thread which makes me feel like I have to offer it to whoever is at the top of the list whether I know them or not (and I don't know who to trust with the account)

2. I feel like it's more of a curse than a good deed because I can't offer it without restrictions for when my promised friends are actually around.

3. I'm not in a particularly giving mood since apparently I have pissed everyone off for wanting to observe matches even though I have been busy lately AND I can't let anyone use that account when I'm not since it's my girlfriend's wow account (she won the key for me)

Any suggestions, GAF?

Yaweee said:
You posted a lot in the thread, but what username were you playing under? I don't see any variation or "ice" or "monkey" on any of the APM charts, so I'm not sure whether I played any games with you.

I'm eggsandbacon. wanted to change my gaf name for a while now but not allowed I don't think.

mcrae

haven't checked this thread in a couple weeks after deciding there was no chance of getting in. pretty neat that they are doing friend invites. too bad none of my friends have keys, lol. aww well...

IceMonkey: you basically want to add a 4rth party to use the account, in addition to your gf, yourself, and your friends if i understand right? imo just leave it, you're being nice enough letting your friends play and just asking to open a can of worms by letting gaffers in too

beggers can't be choosers I guess xD

Hand it out whatever way you see fit I suppose, the internet won't hunt you down... unless your name starts with mi and ends with nt :lol

mcrae said:
haven't checked this thread in a couple weeks after deciding there was no chance of getting in. pretty neat that they are doing friend invites. too bad none of my friends have keys, lol. aww well...

IceMonkey: you basically want to add a 4rth party to use the account, in addition to your gf, yourself, and your friends if i understand right? imo just leave it, you're being nice enough letting your friends play and just asking to open a can of worms by letting gaffers in too

lol actually I'm trying to figure out what to do with the account i made with the friend invite key that i received, that I just used to make an account for my friends (including one in europe who i assume will only be able to play us if he uses the account). The thing is, none of my friends are online right now and I was considering letting someone on gaf use it when my friends arent,...then you can see the problems/concerns I listed above.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ice Monkey said:
lol actually I'm trying to figure out what to do with the account i made with the friend invite key that i received, that I just used to make an account for my friends (including one in europe who i assume will only be able to play us if he uses the account). The thing is, none of my friends are online right now and I was considering letting someone on gaf use it when my friends arent,...then you can see the problems/concerns I listed above.
Unless you can trust/contact that person easily I would just keep it with your friends...unless they rarely play it.

Corran Horn said:
Unless you can trust/contact that person easily I would just keep it with your friends...unless they rarely play it.

this is kinda what i was wondering about. I looked into the relative risks involved with sharing your account and it seems rather straightforward, you can change the password if you know it beforehand but not the email unless you know the security question so I feel as if trust is a non issue as I made fake info for the account I made.

Anyone know anything else about this?

Helmholtz said:
Is it only opt-in people getting more friend invites?
Or do people who used a friend invite also get one?
If you're in the beta, you can receive friend invites. That's regardless of how you got in, because I got in via invite, and I just received a friend invite key, and obviously those who got in via opt-in have also received them.

Anyway, on another note, would anyone like to play a few games of SC2 right now?

i'd be interested in playing if you could get two other people ready, i think there's a gaf game going on with ten or more observers hanging out in the 2v2 right now, not sure why.

Top Bottom