• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

zoukka

Thanks for the advices guys. I think I'll experiment with the infestors because my fear with mutalisks leaves me with a good amount of gas usually. Does the fungus affect air units btw? I really hate how you can't mind control air anymore. I mean does Zerg even have a counter to carriers anymore?

ZealousD (Zealous.demon)
Milabrega (Milabrega.mila)
Trasher (trasher.trasher)
Pandaman (Panda.craft)
FromTheFuture (Alumus.mosaic)
-COOLIO- (COOLIO.nick)
Wedge7 (wedge.ncn)
TurtleSnatcher (pezradar.pezradar)
Zzoram (zzoram.zzoram)
MisterAnderson (VertigoII.vince)
Cheeto (Cheeto.Cheetobandit)
Terproerg (Terproerg.terproerg)
AbortedWalrusFetus (WalrusFetus.aborted)
Procarbine (procarbine.red)
hobart (hobart.hobartaj)
fatty (Robert.fatty)
zoukka (zoukka.fin) EU

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who thinks this game is much less forgiving than SC1? It just seems like that if you don't tech down the perfect path to counter your opponent, your fucked. There doesn't seem like there are many ways to bounce back as there were in 1.

zoukka

ahoyhoy said:
Am I the only one who thinks this game is much less forgiving than SC1? It just seems like that if you don't tech down the perfect path to counter your opponent, your fucked. There doesn't seem like there are many ways to bounce back as there were in 1.

Most matches end at the first or at the following clash in bronze at least. So maybe.

Won

PNstyle said:
will this be a us or europe beta 1v1 tourney?

Will be an US one. Someone from the EU would need to organize a seperate one. Personally I don't have the time. I also don't know, if there enough EU players to bother with. (haven't bothered with adding people)

ahoyhoy said:

I get the feeling that people just stick too much to their roach builds and similar stuff currently. At least on lower levels. Massing an army and running into the opponents base with it will of course end the game one way or the other.

Won said:
Will be an US one. Someone from the EU would need to organize a seperate one. Personally I don't have the time. I also don't know, if there enough EU players to bother with. (haven't bothered with adding people)

ok thx for info

chris-013

Ye too bad, there aren't enough players in EU GAF. I think we are maybe 4 or 5.

Anyway, yesterday I did 10-2 in bronze league, using a lot of different units but the fucking tanks are my best weapon !

It's too fun to kill a mass of hydralisks with 3-4 tanks. ^^

I played more than 100 games now... I need more sleep :D

Milabrega

List of EU gaffer's from the list though not everyone:

syoaran --- Syoaran.syo
Gromph --- Gromph.Gromph
Vortex566 --- vortex.domo
Lord Phol --- phol.phol
zoukka --- zoukka.fin
chris-013 --- ChrisXIII.fra
fanboi --- fanboi.gaf
maniac-kun --- maniac.kun
Won --- Won.tollo

Minsc

Gold Member
Are there ever professional ranked games where all the players are forced to use random race selections? Would be interesting to see I think, and require people to really know the game in and out.

Then there's the advantage of your opponents not knowing what race you are as well, so they can't feel quite as safe banking on any one particular strength or weakness ahead of time.

count me in EU list

syoaran --- Syoaran.syo
Gromph --- Gromph.Gromph
Lord Phol --- phol.phol
zoukka --- zoukka.fin
fanboi --- fanboi.gaf
Won --- Won.tollo
PNstyle --- pnstyle.pnstyle

Ice Monkey said:
europe gaf players could borrow a us account to play matches in the tourney

would you borrow your account to a person you dont know and risk to get your HOLY sc2 beta account getting stolen or something :D ?

Won

Omg, I just saw T2 Zerg units! What a precious moment!

PNstyle said:
would you borrow your account to a person you dont know and risk to get your HOLY sc2 beta account getting stolen or something :D ?

Let alone all the other stuff on the bnet account. :lol

PNstyle said:

depends what account. I was asking about the relative risks before in the thread involving an account with JUST the sc2 beta on it but nobody answered. With a friend code this is easy to set up by making a new account with crap info on it and strong passwords/secret questions for the email and bnet account.

I looked into it and the only risk seems to involve the mobile authenticator stuff which you may or may not be able to activate without the answer to the secret question, but that could not matter because you could just cry foul to blizzard, they would revoke the mobile authenticator and give you back your account and whoever tried to pull that crap on neogaf would be tarred and feathered.

I imagine it could be a perfect solution as long as you give one person access to the account at one time and then change the password before giving it to the next, then you'd be certain who screwed the pooch if the mobile authenticator was made.

Ice Monkey said:
depends what account. I was asking about the relative risks before in the thread involving an account with JUST the sc2 beta on it but nobody answered. With a friend code this is easy to set up by making a new account with crap info on it and strong passwords/secret questions for the email and bnet account.

I looked into it and the only risk seems to involve the mobile authenticator stuff which you may or may not be able to activate without the answer to the secret question, but that could not matter because you could just cry foul to blizzard, they would revoke the mobile authenticator and give you back your account and whoever tried to pull that crap on neogaf would be tarred and feathered.

I imagine it could be a perfect solution as long as you give one person access to the account at one time and then change the password before giving it to the next, then you'd be certain who screwed the pooch if the mobile authenticator was made.

well this sounds smart ^^

chris-013

Wtf just got dropped of my game and when I log back I'm on another account. Oo
Now I can't play in ladder, I have the message "nogateway" something ^^;

its actually even more foolproof than that, I feel stupid for suggesting not even making the mobile authenticator. In order to log in to account management when you have a mobile authenticator attached to the account, you obviously need to use the mobile authenticator which I have set up right now for example.

The only problem is you also need whatever current authenticator code is ready in order to log in to starcraft 2, so basically it would boil down to telling someone the temporary password and authenticator code, making sure they log in to bnet within 10 seconds or whatever and then changing the password afterwards because otherwise they could just use the authenticator code to log into account management and remove the authenticator.

Even so the extra layer of needing the security question answer to change the email is the failsafe, if you dont know that answer then you can always just get blizzard to fix it all, and of course the gaffer could basically be risking his neogaf trust by trying to screw with the process when its necessary for a tourney.

the real question is, assuming anyone's even considering having a eu/us combined tourney do all the eu players need to play all the us players?

even though it would be easier considering a shared account, would it be fair if there was just a champion of eu vs champion of us much like you might see in NCAA or would a losers bracket and some or full mixed matches between eu/us make for a fairer competition.

The other alternative is i'm over-thinking this because nobody even wants to do eu vs us.

Ice Monkey said:
the real question is, assuming anyone's even considering having a eu/us combined tourney do all the eu players need to play all the us players?

even though it would be easier considering a shared account, would it be fair if there was just a champion of eu vs champion of us much like you might see in NCAA or would a losers bracket and some or full mixed matches between eu/us make for a fairer competition.

The other alternative is i'm over-thinking this because nobody even wants to do eu vs us.
:lol many wall-of-texts later...

syoaran

PNstyle said:
count me in EU list

syoaran --- Syoaran.syo
Gromph --- Gromph.Gromph
Lord Phol --- phol.phol
zoukka --- zoukka.fin
fanboi --- fanboi.gaf
Won --- Won.tollo

Will be adding those I haven't tomorrow morning. I think I added Vortex and Won already from this list. Chris - hopefully tomorrow night we can get some 2v2's if your on ~

Mudkips

Banned
Ice Monkey said:
its actually even more foolproof than that, I feel stupid for suggesting not even making the mobile authenticator. In order to log in to account management when you have a mobile authenticator attached to the account, you obviously need to use the mobile authenticator which I have set up right now for example.

The only problem is you also need whatever current authenticator code is ready in order to log in to starcraft 2, so basically it would boil down to telling someone the temporary password and authenticator code, making sure they log in to bnet within 10 seconds or whatever and then changing the password afterwards because otherwise they could just use the authenticator code to log into account management and remove the authenticator.

Even so the extra layer of needing the security question answer to change the email is the failsafe, if you dont know that answer then you can always just get blizzard to fix it all, and of course the gaffer could basically be risking his neogaf trust by trying to screw with the process when its necessary for a tourney.

It's even MORE foolproof than that!

1: Owner changes to temporary password.
2: Owner logs out and back in to account management.

3: Both parties get ready / in contact via sms/IM/etc.
4: Owner reveals authenticator code.

5: Owner changes password again.
6: Owner reveals temporary password from step 1.

7: Borrower logs in with temporary password from step 1 and authenticator code from step 4.

The authenticator code in my experience is good for about 30 to 90 seconds.
The password won't be changed to the new password for SC2 Beta login for about a minute or so. The password is changed for account management immediately.

Yup. It appears there's a delay in password changed affecting SC2 logins. Be it cached queries, separate DBs (This is BETA!, BETA! You're doin' it rite.) that are synced every x minutes, I dunno. But that's the deal.

chris-013

Ok the game work again...
I just win against a zerg who did a fast rush, I still suck with scv+marine but it was enough to repel his attack. ^^

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm down for the 1v1 tourney, just tell me when and I'll see if I can make it / we make this go more than 1 day.
TurtleSnatcher said:
Someone teach me Terran..

Panda/Deltron GO!
Make MM and win the game before opponent can tech to anything else :lol

PNstyle said:
count me in EU list

syoaran --- Syoaran.syo
Gromph --- Gromph.Gromph
Lord Phol --- phol.phol
zoukka --- zoukka.fin
fanboi --- fanboi.gaf
Won --- Won.tollo
CidHighwind89 --- Morning.dew

Add me in too I am a US player but I have the EU beta so ya....I need friends :lol

aznpxdd said:
Wat? You guys didn't know about shift-attack? I use that all the time to focus fire on roaches all the time.
I dont kill roaches =[ And its usually best with roaches to line em all up and then curve and consume armies with them as opposed to have them all clump in a ball and FF 1 target like a Marauder =[

Mudkips

Banned
Raide said:
1) Select SCV's/Probes/Drone,
2) Click on Mineraaallss,
3) Profit? Or get killed by 2 Zealots bum-rushing you. :lol

If you're fast enough, F1, right click, F1, right click, F1, right click, F1, right click, F1, right click, F1, right click is more efficient than selecting all workers and telling them to mine.

Dreavus

Whew. I haven't played very much 1v1 versus terran but yes, banelings do indeed MELT marines. I hid them in the steam vents until he ran his marauders by and then went straight for them. :lol

I usually lose to early pushes like that, too.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
FromTheFuture said:
1. Build barracks
2. Make marines
3. ???
4. Profit
funnily enough, this exact approach worked for me last night. i just massed marines and medics. didn't even bother with marauders.

Top Bottom