• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
StarCraft II Beta – Patch 6 (version 0.8.0.14593)

The latest patch notes can always be found at
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23094049316&sid=5000

General

* You can now report misconduct or block communication with a player after completion of a game by right-clicking on the offending player's name in the score screen and choosing Report Abuse or Block Communication.
* You can now view any player's profile after completion of a game by right-clicking on their name in the score screen and choosing View Profile.
* Updated unit and ability tooltips to be accurate in all regions.
* Improved the visibility of units on zerg creep.
* Improved the visibility of team colors for protoss units using warp-in to help distinguish between multiple protoss players.
* Improved the system that handles promotion and relegation between Leagues.
* Improved the Favored functionality to more accurately portray Even matches and display properly in the score screen.
* Improved 2v2 arranged team matchmaking so games are found more quickly.
* Improved replay functionality so missing maps will be downloaded from Battle.net when you view a replay.
* Korea: Improved the logic for the age gate functionality.

Balance Changes

* GENERAL

o Pathing has been improved so units can now properly block ramps and choke points.
o Made a change to how zerg creep affects doodads, such as trees, to prevent players from seeing the starting location of zerg players through the fog of war.

* TERRAN

o Viking

+ Cost changed from 125 Minerals and 100 Vespene Gas to 150 Minerals and 75 Vespene Gas.

o Ghost

+ Cost changed from 100 Minerals and 200 Vespene Gas to 150 Minerals and 150 Vespene Gas.
+ EMP Round radius decreased from 3 to 2.

o Factory

+ Cost decreased from 200 Minerals and 100 Vespene Gas to 150 Minerals and 100 Vespene Gas.

o Tech Lab

+ Cost decreased from 50 Minerals and 50 Vespene Gas to 50 Minerals and 25 Vespene Gas.

o Reactor

+ Build time increased from 25 seconds to 50 seconds.

o SCV

+ Life decreased from 60 to 45.

o Bunker

+ Build time decreased from 40 seconds to 30 seconds.

o Marine

+ Build time increased from 20 seconds to 25 seconds.

* PROTOSS

o Colossus

+ Thermal Lances damage decreased from 23 to 20.

o Observer

+ Cost increased from 25 Minerals and 75 Vespene Gas to 50 Minerals and 100 Vespene Gas.
+ Build time increased from 33 seconds to 40 seconds.

o Stalker

+ Particle Disruptors damage increased from 8 (+6 Armored) to 10 (+4 Armored).
+ Weapon upgrade damage decreased from +1 (+1 Armored) to +1 (+0 Armored).

o Dark Templar

+ Armor type changed from Biological-Psionic to Biological-Psionic-Light.

o High Templar

+ Armor type changed from Biological-Psionic to Biological-Psionic-Light.

o Dark Shrine

+ Build time increased from 80 seconds to 100 seconds.
+ Cost increased from 100 Minerals and 200 Vespene Gas to 100 Minerals and 250 Vespene Gas.

* ZERG

o Baneling

+ Volatile Burst damage increased from 15 (+20 Light) to 20 (+15 Light).

o Roach

+ Burrowed regeneration rate decreased from 10 to 5.
+ Upgraded burrowed regeneration bonus decreased from +20 to +10.

Bug Fixes

* Fixed an issue affecting the incorrect assignment of arranged teams to certain Leagues.
* Fixed an issue affecting random teams that caused no points being awarded on wins and too many points being removed on losses in certain situations.
* Fixed an issue involving the Bonus Pool display on the Quick Match and Leagues & Ladders pages.
* Korean client: Fixed an issue affecting the ability for Korean players to properly view profiles. They can now see their League ranking on their profile page.
* Fixed an intermittent UI crash on game shutdown.
* Polish client: Fixed a crash which would happen any time a "Player is no longer being revealed!" message was displayed.

[ Post edited by Crygil ]
supposedly going up sometime soon tonight! :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
o Reactor

+ Build time increased from 25 seconds to 50 seconds.

o SCV

+ Life decreased from 60 to 45.

o Marine

+ Build time increased from 20 seconds to 25 seconds.
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

I can't 2 rax reactor push anymore. How the fuck am I supposed to win games now!

Boot robbed me of a win. I asked the guy to leave, since he knew he was done, but he wouldn't. : (

They nerfed terrans pretty hard, but barely nerfed Zerg? wtf is that shit?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why make Dark Templars even less attractive?

ROACH NERF NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Halycon said:
Why make Dark Templars even less attractive?

ROACH NERF NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Roach nerf was so clearly necessary. Would you guys say that's a buff or a nerf to banelings? They are already obscene against bio.

DTs kicked my ass before I figured out how to use scan against them well. I wasn't hotkeying my Orbital Command.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Boot robbed me of a win. I asked the guy to leave, since he knew he was done, but he wouldn't. : (

They nerfed terrans pretty hard, but barely nerfed Zerg? wtf is that shit?

Same EXACT thing happened to me. he had no units left and lifted his main. Pissed me off so much.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ice Monkey said:
you mean with all the terran buffs thus far?
yea, they wanted to get terrans out of the base and just made terran t1 an unstoppable monster that build behind the safest early defense with free scouting anywhere on the map and the safest expand options. now it seems that they're embracing the early turtle in terrans by lowering t2 costs, nerfing t1 and buffing bunkers.

Tworak

I assume that's just the first pass of the pending total nerfstruction of roaches x]

banelings slightly more useful against anything non-light now. interesting.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Roach nerf was so clearly necessary. Would you guys say that's a buff or a nerf to banelings? They are already obscene against bio.

DTs kicked my ass before I figured out how to use scan against them well. I wasn't hotkeying my Orbital Command.
Buff obviously. They do the same damage to light, but now get +5 damage vs everything else.

Pandaman said:
yea, they wanted to get terrans out of the base and just made terran t1 an unstoppable monster that build behind the safest early defense with free scouting anywhere on the map and the safest expand options. now it seems that they're embracing the early turtle in terrans by lowering t2 costs, nerfing t1 and buffing bunkers.

If you're scanning you're dumb. Scan is pretty much worthless unless you want a fail economy. I also dunno if "safest expand options" matters when it's also the slowest expand option, and the slowest worker production in the game.

The only thing that was imba was the SCV rush cheese, and the unit production speed. I'm curious as to what repercussions this has for TvZ. Unless you build pretty specifically you'll have a tough time against zergling rush. I think they want you to go bunker now rather than block with a rax.

Edit:
Hazaro said:
Buff obviously. They do the same damage to light, but now get +5 damage vs everything else.

I totally read it wrong.

Milabrega

Major buff to Speedling/Banelings.

Speedlings got buffed vs Terran with the slower to build marines and reactor, so they will have even less to stop an early Speedling push through.

Banelings should now be slightly more effective against Marauders, knocking the MMM ball down a small notch.

Milabrega

They made the game a better chess match with these changes, in the T v Z sense. Not much of a zerg buff as it is making alternate builds viable options, same as the Terran changes. We'll see more speedling/bane builds instead of roaches. We'll see an increase in Hellions, Reapers, Tanks, Ghosts and Vikings as an alternative to MMM. Though I imagine MMM will still be the go to Terran build due to its ease of use. Where as I can now see Roaches/Banes seeing a more even play share split than they have now. Builds being more reactionary than stock.

fugimax

Is there a good strategy guide somewhere for Terran basics? Not talking detailed stuff, but just things to remember (# of SCVs per refinery, etc.), maybe some build order suggestions, higher-level strategy..

Cheeto said:
But they did the first thing they should've done

Nerf roaches to the ground?

You are correct, sir.

With the baneling buff and the Reactor/Marine nerf + Factory buff, it seems like they're trying to get terrans to do more mech builds rather than MMM.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
If you're scanning you're dumb. Scan is pretty much worthless unless you want a fail economy. I also dunno if "safest expand options" matters when it's also the slowest expand option, and the slowest worker production in the game.

The only thing that was imba was the SCV rush cheese, and the unit production speed. I'm curious as to what repercussions this has for TvZ. Unless you build pretty specifically you'll have a tough time against zergling rush. I think they want you to go bunker now rather than block with a rax.
somehow i dont think ill be taking terran tips from you, champ. :lol

Pandaman said:
somehow i dont think ill be taking terran tips from you, champ. :lol

Because which of those points is wrong? Terran have the slowest by far worker production. Protoss get Chrono Boost and Zerg can produce multiple workers at once. I thought it was pretty commonly understood that they could fast expand more so than terrans.

As for bunkers rather than rax blocking your base, it's a stretch, but I don't think its entire implausible.

Edit: Then again, you were acting like Scan was a viable scouting option. So...

I wonder if the bunker buff is to favor bunker rush over rax proxies.

Cru Jones

I couldn't get on earlier and I saw that the servers were down. I try a little later and I downloaded the new patch, I figured servers would be up now that you can download it... and they are still down :(

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Because which of those points is wrong? Terran have the slowest by far worker production. Protoss get Chrono Boost and Zerg can produce multiple workers at once. I thought it was pretty commonly understood that they could fast expand more so than terrans.

As for bunkers rather than rax blocking your base, it's a stretch, but I don't think its entire implausible.

Edit: Then again, you were acting like Scan was a viable scouting option. So...

I wonder if the bunker buff is to favor bunker rush over rax proxies.
1). you yourself touched on why terran expansions are powerful, two orbital commands can strip mine whole fields fast enough to make your head spin. i scout a new undefended base and i rage because i know it'll have paid for itself thrice over before i could even nydus it. i just pray i have mutas around.

2). i dont think blizzard expects terrans to defend against rushes by delaying their wall and increasing its cost, thats just silly. the bunker upgrade is an extra encouragement ontop of the bunkers +1 range bonus. and to turtle style in general.

3). unless you're mint, its downright stupid to dump all your energy on mules and forgo scan. no two ways about it. its terrans only viable and versatile early to mid game detector and it will positively save your ass when it scouts out a tech switch for you. especially when terran have no other midgame scouting option. going in expecting robotics and going in expecting templar are two entirely different situations for your mmm ball to handle that running circles with an scv in the earlygame will not scout for you.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
The DT nerf makes a little sense now. With the SCV nerf, DTs would one shot them.
this is a joke right? :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pandaman said:
3). unless you're mint, its downright stupid to dump all your energy on mules and forgo scan. no two ways about it. its terrans only viable and versatile early to mid game detector and it will positively save your ass when it scouts out a tech switch for you. especially when terran have no other midgame scouting option. going in expecting robotics and going in expecting templar are two entirely different situations for your mmm ball to handle that running circles with an scv in the earlygame will not scout for you.
I could dump mules down because I could make enough marines to kill anything that I came across :lol

really the idea that scan isn't powerful is silly, its got to be one of the best things you can utilize in the entire game. I think it's rather telling that blizz developed mule and the supply drop as a forever available alternative to scan, it's so powerful and they didn't want to remove it so they made you give something else up entirely in order to use it.

IMHO, though :-/

P.S. Panda you haven't been aware of the DT/SCV metagame matchup? SCVs have been one of the only counters to mass DTs so far :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pandaman said:
luckily that issue has also been somewhat resolved. :lol
Makes me sad.

Why would I want to use mards.
Stupid meat shields for the glorious DPS ball of space marines.

You could dump mules down if you just scouted with a factory or scouted with an SCV. You take a scan over a Mule and you forego 280 minerals. You could make 4 marines to scout with with that single Mule. Ok, you might not get past their wall and couldn't see their tech unless you get lucky. But acting like you can just scan willy nilly and not pay for it? I don't think that makes much sense.

And no, it's not a joke, it's the only reason I can think of that makes ANY sense regarding that nerf.

Milabrega

well in an SCV vs Probe duel, prior to the patch. If an scv took down the probes shield during a volley, and the probe ran around until his shield was restored (thus giving him a battle total of 60hp) and the two went back into a volley, the scv would still come out ontop in the end.

Extrapolate that to ideas about worker harass tactics and Scv rushes, and now you can see why they got an hp nerf.

Milabrega said:
well in an SCV vs Probe duel, prior to the patch. If an scv took down the probes shield during a volley, and the probe ran around until his shield was restored (thus giving him a battle total of 60hp) and the two went back into a volley, the scv would still come out ontop in the end.

Extrapolate that to ideas about worker harass tactics and Scv rushes, and now you can see why they got an hp nerf.

Well, that was probably the most obvious nerf. I think everyone knew SCVs were getting a pretty big nerf after the TvP cheese that was going on. Protoss went from high representation in the platinum matches to bottom of the barrel because of the SCV and marine rush crap.

2) Heroes of Newerth patch glitch requires a clean install
3) Buddy isn't around to play WCIII or SC with me

you guys what the hell should I do while I download HoN

i'm pretty sure that's the entire reason of the scv health nerf: scv rushes. Just too powerful.

battle.net hasn't been down this long for a while I don't think, I hope this is good news!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
You could dump mules down if you just scouted with a factory or scouted with an SCV. You take a scan over a Mule and you forego 280 minerals. You could make 4 marines to scout with with that single Mule. Ok, you might not get past their wall and couldn't see their tech unless you get lucky. But acting like you can just scan willy nilly and not pay for it? I don't think that makes much sense.

And no, it's not a joke, it's the only reason I can think of that makes ANY sense regarding that nerf.
those four 'scout' marines wont do anything for you, other than perhaps remind you of your opponents colour. [its red, like the bloodpuddle they'll leave at your opponents ramp]

but yeah bottom line, i would trade 5 marines to instant spawn a temporary observer anywhere on the map. that's an incredibly easy trade that will do more for me than 5 marines ever will.

who said anything about scanning willy nilly? you should need about two scans per game. one to check there tech, one to scout their ramp before an attack and that second one really depends on how long ago the first scan was. those two also leave you open for an option should you be cloak rushed. call me crazy, but giving two dark templar free reign on a supply line for up to 50 seconds is not my idea of fun. especially when that one scan you used to kill them could have prevented it from ever happening.

as for the DT nerf, DT's could already one shot probes and drones and that wasn't particularly game breaking. i think the dt nerf might have more to do with zerg than terran, lair can sometimes be slow and overseers can be a low priority sometimes.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
The Lamonster said:
2) Heroes of Newerth patch glitch requires a clean install
3) Buddy isn't around to play WCIII or SC with me

you guys what the hell should I do while I download HoN
Randy_Marsh_covered_in_ectoplasm.jpg

Meeru

Banned
AbortedWalrusFetus said:

Edit:

I totally read it wrong.
Scanning dumb? Someone give him a dunce crown

Haly

Pandaman said:
as for the DT nerf, DT's could already one shot probes and drones and that wasn't particularly game breaking. i think the dt nerf might have more to do with zerg than terran, lair can sometimes be slow and overseers can be a low priority sometimes.
I would really prefer cheaper overseers over slower DTs. Splitting them off from High Temps already made them a luxury/fringe tactic and zerg has sight issues anyway. The shrine nerf just made two problems equally problematic.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Halycon said:
I would really prefer cheaper overseers over slower DTs. Splitting them off from High Temps already made them a luxury/fringe tactic and zerg has sight issues anyway. The shrine nerf just made two problems equally problematic.
merge shrine with archives and make overseers a free evolution!

Haly

Pandaman said:
merge shrine with archives and make overseers a free evolution!
Yeah!

And make marauders explode on death damaging everything in the vicinity.

Haly

Ice Monkey said:
how bout give marines burrow and move while burrowed? maybe even underground explosion I think that'd balance marines well.
Only if I can uproot my zerg buildings for a WC3 style treant rush.

Top Bottom