• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
nobody cares about iccup for nostalgia games, just use battle.net, its not like you'll get sidelined by a hacking gaffer. its very rude of you to expect others to install all this extra fluff just because you want a chance to buff your ladder ranking on your server of choice. >_>

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pandaman said:
nobody cares about iccup for nostalgia games, just use battle.net, its not like you'll get sidelined by a hacking gaffer. its very rude of you to expect others to install all this extra fluff just because you want a chance to buff your ladder ranking on your server of choice. >_>
My D ranking is pretty glorious. If I got D+ I'd get slaughtered :lol (Plus you can just play obs maps)
(I can't find my key I lost a while ago) I wrote it down in a .txt file somewhere but I searched yesterday and couldn't find it.

I've bought the damn game 3 times. Same goes for WCIII. :lol

IcedTea

elbkhm said:
Interestingly enough though, balance for high-level play and balance for low-level play are seperate issues. Some of the problems which can plague balance at high-levels are total non-issues for low-level play (just because low-level players can't do them), while the balance issues that can cause frustration for noobs are often of little significance to pros.

Balance is such a tricky thing because you're not just trying to balance three unique factions against each other, you're trying to ensure they stay balanced across all levels of play.
That's very true, but keep in mind that noobs just don't understand the game that well. If a noob dies to a reaper rush, he might whine that reapers are op, but that might not be the case. Maybe it is a really shitty map with a few cliffs but not much distance between bases, so it is really the map that is imba. Maybe the noob is just spamming cannons at his choke and expects that to be able to hold off the opponent indefinitely. In that case it doesn't really mean that reapers are op, just that the noob doesn't realize he needs to use his troops to defend too.

Low level balance is important, but low level players generally don't understand why something is imbalanced, so their complaints have to be taken with a pretty big grain of salt.

Pandaman said:
Bnet has horrible latency compared to iccup, which is a pretty big issue when it comes to micro and whatnot.

ooooh I just had my first good game for once. Even won after getting harassed multiple times by a few zealots. My strategy? MASS MARINES and a couple reapers.

With the reactor on you can mass produce marines like its nobody's business

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I figure this is as good a place to talk SC1 strategy as any.

So me and my friends have been playing Starcraft more and more recently in anticipation of SC2. Though I am a Toss player by trade, I've been beefing up my Zerg game to keep my friends (who never, ever play Zerg) on their toes. However, I've run into a snag: FUCKING SCIENCE VESSELS, or more specifically, FUCKING IRRIDATION. I hate that ability with a passion. It fucks up my Mutalisks like no bodies business, and does terrible, terrible things to my Hyrda forces that I drop into the middle of my friends resources throughout the game. Whenever that assholes uses it on my hordes, they go fucking apeshit and I can't seem to select the one that actually IS irradiated due to the clusterfuck of all my units chasing in futile effort the science vessel in question, which usually results in my Muta's flying straight into a squadron of Valkyries.

So GAF, how can I counter the Science Vessel micro BS? I've tried Scourges, but it's so damn hard to hit those fuckers before they strike unless I know they're coming.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ahoyhoy said:

So me and my friends have been playing Starcraft more and more recently in anticipation of SC2. Though I am a Toss player by trade, I've been beefing up my Zerg game to keep my friends (who never, ever play Zerg) on their toes. However, I've run into a snag: FUCKING SCIENCE VESSELS, or more specifically, FUCKING IRRIDATION. I hate that ability with a passion. It fucks up my Mutalisks like no bodies business, and does terrible, terrible things to my Hyrda forces that I drop into the middle of my friends resources throughout the game. Whenever that assholes uses it on my hordes, they go fucking apeshit and I can't seem to select the one that actually IS irradiated due to the clusterfuck of all my units chasing in futile effort the science vessel in question, which usually results in my Muta's flying straight into a squadron of Valkyries.

So GAF, how can I counter the Science Vessel micro BS? I've tried Scourges, but it's so damn hard to hit those fuckers before they strike unless I know they're coming.
deselect mutas, click the top one. odds are thats the one he hit.

as for ground units, that's what burrow is for!

w3stfa11

I should be able to play SC1 tomorrow evening on B.net (haha spending Friday night playing SC, those were the good ol' days!)

Hopefully we can get some 2v2 set up or if people would rather play against comps, that's cool too.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ahoyhoy said:
However, I've run into a snag: FUCKING SCIENCE VESSELS, or more specifically, FUCKING IRRIDATION.
Select all of them, then click the muta that is changing colors (losing hp)

spoon!

ahoyhoy said:
Stick to scourge. Lots and lots of scourge. Try to dominate airspace with them so they cant fly the vessels about without marines under them. That'll limit their mobility and give you room to breathe. Keep the marines busy with muta/lurkers. Always, always try to keep the terran vessel count low, because you're in a shitload of trouble once they get 5 or more of them. Also, plague.

NeoUltima

I'm totally in the middle of redownloading SC1 right now(~10-15 more minutes). I'd love to get in on some comp stomps(wouldn't be ready to jump into competitive play yet lol).

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Pandaman said:
deselect mutas, click the top one. odds are thats the one he hit.

as for ground units, that's what burrow is for!

Burrow is a god-send (if I remember to click it in the frantic struggle, of course). Still, doesn't help my Muta's.

Hazaro said:
Select all of them, then click the muta that is changing colors (losing hp)

But doesn't irradiate take down the HP of all units within range of the irradiated one equally?

spoon! said:
Stick to scourge. Lots and lots of scourge. Try to dominate airspace with them so they cant fly the vessels about without marines under them. That'll limit their mobility and give you room to breathe. Keep the marines busy with muta/lurkers. Always, always try to keep the terran vessel count low, because you're in a shitload of trouble once they get 5 or more of them. Also, plague.

Yeah, I try to mass Scourges in desperation, but I ALWAYS run into a lack of Vespene problem (unless I'm playing on BGH). I guess I should focus more on disabling the production of Science Vessels before they get a chance to get enough energy.

Also, I really wish I could use defilers effectively. I'm just so used to not having to micro as Zerg that the idea of mixing mass Macro with one or two Micro units effectively is hard to fathom.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheExodu5 said:
TheExodu5 @ USEast
I am stuck in the Void, PM'd my ID to you. You get my whispers?
Otherwise I am on Steam and added you there also (Running SC windowed via ChaosLauncher)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ahoyhoy said:
But doesn't irradiate take down the HP of all units within range of the irradiated one equally?
Yes but I believe the one it was cast one starts a bit lower... I could be wrong come to think of it, otherwise try removing the top few as was stated.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hazaro said:
I am stuck in the Void, PM'd my ID to you. You get my whispers?
Otherwise I am on Steam and added you there also (Running SC windowed via ChaosLauncher)

No I didn't. What's your ID? If you're in the void you might be muted.

Come to channel GAF.

ahoyhoy said:

It's hard to say exactly what to do because of the skill level of the games you're playing and if you're actually doing real build orders and such, but there is a reason why mutalisks are used only for a sort of midgame harass in ZvT. You shouldn't rely on mutalisks past a certain point; they are to harass and buy time for hive tech. The plan with mutalisks is essentially to not give terran map control like you would vs a good player when going lurker first. However, since you aren't playing a good player I would wholeheartedly recommend going lurker first. They're not going to stop you from keeping map control and you won't have to worry about all your units instantly dying instead of just a couple.

The zerg strategy in ZvT is really to stop terran from gaining any map control in midgame so that they have to push out slower and buy you time to get your hive tech units (guardian or defiler) to defend your 3rd base. If you can secure your 3rd base from the terran's attack in ZvT you should be fine.

I should also probably touch on that you can't just go muta -> hive in 90% of the case and you need to build a hydra den and immediately get lurker tech and start your carapace upgrades when your spire finishes if you go a muta opening. If you go mutas you're going to need to build lurkers too.

And yea, you're going to want to scourge science vessels (don't forget to make a spire if you open lurker). If they move ahead of the army scourge them, and if your opponent is controlling them well then you're going to need to wait for your opponent to engage your army to scourge them.

NeoUltima

Yay downloaded SC1 and online. Hit me up NeoUltima @useast if you want to compstomp(or if you stink like me and what a fellow stinker to go against)

edit: aww shit not sure I can host

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Louminater said:
gonna make a neogaf channel on USEast if some of you have time to screw around. Nothing serious, some simple fun games!

join channel "GAF"

Anyone who wants to play some SC1, we're playing at channel GAF on USEast. I'm unfortunately heading out right now, but we can play more tomorrow or something. There's still some people playing so get over there if you want to play.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
To people who experience the colour bug in windows 7 for the original Starcraft there is an easy yet weird fix - open your screen resolution window (right click desktop -> screen resolution) and start Starcraft

Wedge7

Well, as you all know, there are obviously many groups working to hack the SC2 beta and get some kind of crack or work around to play it without a beta key.

Seems they've made some small strides towards that, allowing you to view game replays using the client without actually having a key. Obviously, you still cant play or log into b.net, but you can view replays.

Not gonna link it for obvious reasons.

PS - Its not against the rules to discuss this stuff is it? If so, I'll obviously stop, but I mean, its hardly secret info or anything.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wedge7 said:
Well, as you all know, there are obviously many groups working to hack the SC2 beta and get some kind of crack or work around to play it without a beta key.

Seems they've made some small strides towards that, allowing you to view game replays using the client without actually having a key. Obviously, you still cant play or log into b.net, but you can view replays.

Not gonna link it for obvious reasons.

PS - Its not against the rules to discuss this stuff is it? If so, I'll obviously stop, but I mean, its hardly secret info or anything.

I gotta find out how to do this. I just really want to see the engine in all its glory.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ice Monkey said:
i posted this earlier, not 60fps but it is hd http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfl279o_Cko

Man, I really like what they've done with pathfinding. No more having to micomanage units to clear room, units no longer try to move in a "shortest walk possible" pattern and being stopped by other units, and combined with the new giant group selections you no longer have and endless line of units. Now units just sort of move like an organic blob. :D

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ZealousD said:
Man, I really like what they've done with pathfinding. No more having to micomanage units to clear room, units no longer try to move in a "shortest walk possible" pattern and being stopped by other units, and combined with the new giant group selections you no longer have and endless line of units. Now units just sort of move like an organic blob. :D
i really like the stance they've taken against micro management in general. it's like the said, "let the player tell the game what they want it to do in the easiest way possible while keeping all the strategic elements intact."

selecting 12 units in a time and pulling every scv over to the minerals in sc1 drove me crazy. wc3 was a step up in a big way and i was confident theyd bring the same kind of improvments to sc2.

TheExodu5

Banned
This is why people get their accounts stolen...

lolhax.png

Wedge7

-COOLIO- said:
so has the second key wave gone out yet?

I wanted to provide an update for players that attended BlizzCon and redeemed their codes, but have yet to receive a beta key invite email. The first wave of invites have already been sent out and a majority of the invites were sent out to BlizzCon attendees. Unfortunately, due to the sheer number of BlizzCon attendees, we could not get everyone in with the first wave. Rest assured that if you did not get into the first wave, you will be included in a future wave, possibly within the next two weeks.

The timing of the next wave will be dependent upon the amount of players that are playing and the load capacity of the servers. Thank you for your understanding and patience through this process.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Wedge7 said:
I wanted to provide an update for players that attended BlizzCon and redeemed their codes, but have yet to receive a beta key invite email. The first wave of invites have already been sent out and a majority of the invites were sent out to BlizzCon attendees. Unfortunately, due to the sheer number of BlizzCon attendees, we could not get everyone in with the first wave. Rest assured that if you did not get into the first wave, you will be included in a future wave, possibly within the next two weeks.

The timing of the next wave will be dependent upon the amount of players that are playing and the load capacity of the servers. Thank you for your understanding and patience through this process.
:D

thanks

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
-COOLIO- said:
i really like the stance they've taken against micro management in general. it's like the said, "let the player tell the game what they want it to do in the easiest way possible while keeping all the strategic elements intact."

selecting 12 units in a time and pulling every scv over to the minerals in sc1 drove me crazy. wc3 was a step up in a big way and i was confident theyd bring the same kind of improvments to sc2.
Well in pro levels they really are for having micro work well.

In many cases you don't want your units to be clumped up in a tight ball. In some others you will.
Dividing control up into smaller groups to target fire is a great way to get more for your money. For example you hotkey 4 groups of 5 to focus fire rather than have 20 target the same unit.

After watching gameplay I have to say I really am liking how the automine/MBS/mass unit control is playing out. The automine is fine since there are queens/chrono/MULEs to keep track of.

*Also GAF giveaway to special people and general raffle would be fantastic.
Key please :[

Wedge7 said:

Well, at least there's going to be more waves forthcoming.

Missed the first batch of invites =(

Top Bottom