• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Played a little last night and I really still can't believe how well the game runs. I'm maxed out on all settings and the thing still plays as smooth as WarCraft III :D

Corum

I want to play this so bad but it's probably a good thing I haven't with me being in my last semester of university and all, with a shit tonne of work to do. God damn.

hobart

Good news for me on the Mac front. Knowing now that Mac users have yet to be selected... my hopes remain knowing that, perhaps, I was among the first Mac users to sign up for Beta.

*prays*hard*

Is it possible to play a custom game vs. the AI while offline?

I was in the middle of a game when my modem reset and the game froze and told me I was dropped by the host!

Aesthet1c

The Lamonster said:
Is it possible to play a custom game vs. the AI while offline?

I was in the middle of a game when my modem reset and the game froze and told me I was dropped by the host!

The game requires a constant connection to battle.net. You can thank piracy for that one.

FoxSpirit

Aesthet1c said:
The game requires a constant connection to battle.net. You can thank piracy for that one.

That's pure BS.
"Blizzard did confirm this weekend that it is possible to play StarCraft II's single-player mode offline, but players will only be able to use a "guest account," not their persistent accounts, to do so."
Only multiplayer will require the connection. And I don't think they'll drop you from a LAN game just because your internet connection has been lost, though we'll see about that.

FoxSpirit said:
That's pure BS.
"Blizzard did confirm this weekend that it is possible to play StarCraft II's single-player mode offline, but players will only be able to use a "guest account," not their persistent accounts, to do so."
Only multiplayer will require the connection. And I don't think they'll drop you from a LAN game just because your internet connection has been lost, though we'll see about that.
oh damn, that sucks. I thought it was a beta-only feature.

Sh1ner

would lets saaaaay diablo 2 count? If I went out and bought it? :D

Since its beta I assume it would be a small chance anyway to get into the beta since there are so many battlenet accnts floating about and such. I will hope for an mp demo I guess than.

Do we have any dates for a demo/when the hell the game is coming out? One of the few games of 2010 I am looking forward to.

Aesthet1c

FoxSpirit said:
That's pure BS.

Apologies. I haven't heard that news. Last I heard was it was even required during offline/LAN games, however multiplayer LAN packets wouldn't have to travel the internet, keeping pings low.

Sh1ner said:

Since its beta I assume it would be a small chance anyway to get into the beta since there are so many battlenet accnts floating about and such. I will hope for an mp demo I guess than.

Do we have any dates for a demo/when the hell the game is coming out? One of the few games of 2010 I am looking forward to.
People are saying ~July. Good luck with getting into the beta. I would recommend the WarCraft III Battle Chest over Diablo 2.

LiK

Sh1ner said:

Yea, 1up said any Blizzard game counts

Sh1ner

Thnx for the info guys, I am not interested in playing either tbh. I lost my copy of Diablo 2 during a clean out many years ago.

I just bought a copy from coolshop for 4.99 with my points :)

rezuth

hobart said:
Good news for me on the Mac front. Knowing now that Mac users have yet to be selected... my hopes remain knowing that, perhaps, I was among the first Mac users to sign up for Beta.

*prays*hard*
You can keep praying, I doubt they will even have a Mac beta.

Milabrega said:
Wave 2 Started ehh!!!! Lets hope Blizzard noticed all the starcraft 1 I've been playing and how valuable to the beta I....

FUCK! There goes that theory! I've updated the list you lucky bastards.
lol, I'm in the same boat bro

I got into the Diablo 2, WC3 and WoW betas pretty early on. Maybe my luck has run out :(

Smash88

Banned
Since I have no chance of getting in unless I buy another copy, which I refuse, I was wondering if anyone does get an extra key and doesn't have any friends that need it, I would greatly appreciate getting one.

In any other case, I would never ask. Thanks if someone remembers somewhere in advance.

sdornan

Played about 7 or 8 games so far. I like it, but it's very similar to the first, so much so that I can't help but wonder what took them so long. Then again, I was never good at StarCraft and didn't know what the hell APM was until a few days ago. I wish I could play single player against the CPU so I could see the stuff at the bottom of the tech trees.

EDIT: Oh wait, I can play the CPU.

sdornan said:
Played about 7 or 8 games so far. I like it, but it's very similar to the first, so much so that I can't help but wonder what took them so long. Then again, I was never good at StarCraft and didn't know what the hell APM was until a few days ago. I wish I could play single player against the CPU so I could see the stuff at the bottom of the tech trees.

Yeah I hate to say it but that is my first impression as well. It feels like a super high quality game but as far as game mechanics go, it basically feels like a new skin for WarCraft III.

Emonk

Banned
I changed my beta profile settings from Mac to Windows once I found out there wasn't going to be a Mac Beta test, at least initially. I suppose this means I'll never get into the beta. Damn.

vid

Here's a question for you who are (A. In the SC2 Beta) and (B. Slightly Masochistic)...

What's the lowest end machine you've been able to play the game on? I've got a machine on hand that meets all of the current system requirements, except for a severely under spec processor (AMD Athlon 1.2GHz), and if at all possible, I'd love to stick Starcraft II on there... but suspect I'll be better off just leaving a copy of the original SC and Brood War on that one.

notworksafe

The Lamonster said:
Yeah I hate to say it but that is my first impression as well. It feels like a super high quality game but as far as game mechanics go, it basically feels like a new skin for WarCraft III.

I dunno if I agree with that. War 3 was a pretty big departure for RTS at the time, which I hated then and still dislike now. It focused a lot on hero units and leveling them up as people to lead your squads into battles. SC2 seems to be going a more traditional RTS route, rather then focusing on special unit types.

As far as the persistant Battle.net connection, isn't that to allow chats with WoW/Diablo 3 players and let Blizz do hotfixes/on the fly patching? I thought I'd read that they were doing that.

notworksafe said:
I dunno if I agree with that. War 3 was a pretty big departure for RTS at the time, which I hated then and still dislike now. It focused a lot on hero units and leveling them up as people to lead your squads into battles. SC2 seems to be going a more traditional RTS route, rather then focusing on special unit types.

As far as the persistant Battle.net connection, isn't that to allow chats with WoW/Diablo 3 players and let Blizz do hotfixes/on the fly patching? I thought I'd read that they were doing that.
I just mostly mean the game engine. It works exactly like it does in WC3, which is actually a good thing.

I'm basically saying it's not anything like the huge jump from WarCraft->WarCraft II->Warcraft III.

notworksafe

The Lamonster said:
I just mostly mean the game engine. It works exactly like it does in WC3, which is actually a good thing.

I'm basically saying it's not anything like the huge jump from WarCraft->WarCraft II->Warcraft III.

Ah, okay that makes more sense then. I'm mostly going by blurry streams so I can't comment too much on the looks. When (if?) I get into the Mac beta I'm gonna turn everything up to high and see how it looks. Hopefully not as blocky and weird as WC3. I never liked the look of that game too much.

sdornan

notworksafe said:

I agree. Warcraft 3 was very different from both StarCraft and SC2. SC2 is very much traditional, and very much like the original. I imagine part of it stems from the fact that they want to appease the hardcore tournament crowd. Frankly, I wouldn't have minded a more drastic change in direction.

notworksafe said:

That's probably part of it, but I imagine the other more understated part of it is piracy prevention.

notworksafe

sdornan said:
That's probably part of it, but I imagine the other more understated part of it is piracy prevention.

I'm sure that's a big part too, but at least they give us something in exchange to make it worthwhile instead of requiring a net connection for no other reason then stopping pirates (I'm looking at you Ubi).

I'm hoping they add some kind of persistent stat tracking or APM measurement as well. If they do that along with all the other BNet features I'll be much less annoyed with the requirement of an internet connection.

vid said:
Here's a question for you who are (A. In the SC2 Beta) and (B. Slightly Masochistic)...

What's the lowest end machine you've been able to play the game on? I've got a machine on hand that meets all of the current system requirements, except for a severely under spec processor (AMD Athlon 1.2GHz), and if at all possible, I'd love to stick Starcraft II on there... but suspect I'll be better off just leaving a copy of the original SC and Brood War on that one.

i played it at 20fps on a 1000he netbook, integrated 950 gma graphics and an equivalent of a 900 mhz pentium. (1.6ghz atom)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The Lamonster said:

WC1->WC2 was not that big of a jump, gameplay-wise at least. WC2 was basically a more polished WC1 with naval combat and no roads. Although it is true that Starcraft II's biggest change is more in the interface than gameplay.

oh and everyone needs to stop bitching about the battle.net stuff.

They added a lot of nice features AND it runs smooth as butter in the interface, and as everyone know some piracy group will crack it 3 days before release anyway so if you need offline play, you'll get it for sure.

Let them do it however they want, it wont change the fact that piracy groups will crack every release in record time anyway, besides how much time in a day total are you not near an internet connection?

The Lamonster said:

but it isnt a huge jump from warcraft 3 to starcraft 2, its a huge jump from starcraft to starcraft 2.

It's like saying how big was the jump between warcraft 2 to starcraft? yeah, not as huge, just like the comparison between warcraft 3 and starcraft 2.

notworksafe

Ice Monkey said:
oh and everyone needs to stop bitching about the battle.net stuff.

They added a lot of nice features AND it runs smooth as butter in the interface, and as everyone know some piracy group will crack it 3 days before release anyway so if you need offline play, you'll get it for sure.

Let them do it however they want, it wont change the fact that piracy groups will crack every release in record time anyway, besides how much time in a day total are you not near an internet connection?

I agree. Not to mention that, for most people, the majority of playtime over the life of the game is going to be online anyway. Plus, they are making it worthwhile to keep the internet connection active.

Ice Monkey said:
but it isnt a huge jump from warcraft 3 to starcraft 2, its a huge jump from starcraft to starcraft 2.

It's like saying how big was the jump between warcraft 2 to starcraft? yeah, not as huge, just like the comparison between warcraft 3 and starcraft 2.
True. I can finally play a StarCraft game with modern-day RTS features like pinging the mini-map and using other various traditional keyboard commands.

That reminds me, I heard there's a way to get to first-person view. How do you do that?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ice Monkey said:
It's like saying how big was the jump between warcraft 2 to starcraft? yeah, not as huge

Actually the jump was pretty fucking massive. :lol

Unique races, major interface changes, battle.net, huge changes to resource gathering, more extensive single player campaign, etc.

The Lamonster said:
True. I can finally play a StarCraft game with modern-day RTS features like pinging the mini-map and using other various traditional keyboard commands.

That reminds me, I heard there's a way to get to first-person view. How do you do that?

thats for the galaxy editor for making custom games that use a different cam. vanilla starcraft is exactly like war3, with the ins/del changing persepctive and mousewheel zoom in and out.

ZealousD said:
Actually the jump was pretty fucking massive. :lol

Unique races, major interface changes, battle.net, huge changes to resource gathering, more extensive single player campaign, etc.

agreed, but thats chalked up to a new franchise as opposed to a sequel. Plus, with as popular as sc was with online, they mentioned and i give them props for recognizing that and not changing many of the core elements of gameplay with the whole if it aint broke dont fix it thing. war2 didnt have online or as heavy of love as war 3, so they didnt have as much to worry about with adding heroes and stuff, but i bet when war4 comes out they'll keep that as a whole franchise type thing.

as it is, as soon as you start understanding how different the playing field is in sc2 with reapers and colossi and stalkers and just in general all the crazy amounts of new units, you appreciate is as a a major evolution of starcraft.

LiveWire

Wow, this is really impressive graphically. :O I suck at multiplayer though. :lol I wish there was some singleplayer stuff to play, even if it was just a test mission with no storyline. Or perhaps some vs CPU practice mode.

First game I played I get a message about 30 seconds in: "nub or pro?" Great, just what I'm looking forward to Blizzard. :lol

At least they seem to have made a lot of effort to make the game accessible to new players or people who suck at multitasking like me. Lots of stuff to help identify where you fucked up in your gameplan. It's almost like reading a postgame analysis for a sporting event.

Kronotech

sdornan said:

That's what I was fearing. Not many changes in the factions units either. Why didn't they add a new race or something more to show us that this game truly stands above the first?

Ok so it obviously does stand quite above the first because of the new engine, graphics, etc. but they still didn't change much. As long as it's easier to play MP than it has been using battlenet, I'm in :)

syoaran

Kronotech said:
That's what I was fearing. Not many changes in the factions units either. Why didn't they add a new race or something more to show us that this game truly stands above the first?

Ok so it obviously does stand quite above the first because of the new engine, graphics, etc. but they still didn't change much. As long as it's easier to play MP than it has been using battlenet, I'm in :)

I think, and understandably, that they worried about changing SC's multiplayer too much would result in a backlash - or worse, that torunements would stick with SC. SC2 is a refined version of the first, a few more units, better graphics and tactical cover - a better multiplayer experiance overall.

Single player I think is where they will show the most radical improvements - and units that can not be balanced. It honestly looks like a cross between DOW2's campagin map, SC's tactical view and Mass Effect's Normandy segements - which is all good.

Zzoram

New factions aren't happening. That would break the balance of the game. Balancing completely unique factions is ridiculously difficult (which is why the majority of RTS games have tons of overlapping units), balancing 4 is basically unheard of (see the mess that is Warcraft 3).

Starcraft 2 feels like Starcraft on purpose. Starcraft 2 is meant to be a competitive game like Starcraft was, and to be a serious competitive game, it has to be mostly balanced.

Top Bottom