• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Piggus

Alright... so my best friend has a key from Blizzcon but isn't sure what to do with it given his PC specs. He can buy a new video card and meet the minimum, but would it even be worth it? His specs are:

2.8 ghz Pentium 4
2gbs DDR PC3200
Windows XP Home

If he buys an AGP 6800GT or something similar do you guys think the game would be even remotely playable? I'm a little skeptical based on that CPU benchmark rofl.

fanboi

Banned
Piggus said:
Alright... so my best friend has a key from Blizzcon but isn't sure what to do with it given his PC specs. He can buy a new video card and meet the minimum, but would it even be worth it? His specs are:

2.8 ghz Pentium 4
2gbs DDR PC3200
Windows XP Home

If he buys an AGP 6800GT or something similar do you guys think the game would be even remotely playable? I'm a little skeptical based on that CPU benchmark rofl.

No chance in hell.

Give it to me.

Evlar

Banned
Piggus said:

2.8 ghz Pentium 4
2gbs DDR PC3200
Windows XP Home

Based on previous reports in this thread: yes, it would.

deathberry

Neo Member
Piggus said:

2.8 ghz Pentium 4
2gbs DDR PC3200
Windows XP Home

Those specs just might run it on lowest settings. Here's the minimum specs for the beta:

• 2.2 Ghz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor
• 1 GB system RAM/1.5 GB for Vista and Windows 7
• 128 MB NVidia GeForce 6600 GT/ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card

With the 6800GT he'll meet the minimum, but that's lowest settings and the game will still have trouble maintaining 30fps at all times.

It's OK for shits and giggles, but a wasted opportunity imo. If he was REALLY your best friend, then he'd give you the key, unless you already have it.

Piggus

deathberry said:
Those specs just might run it on lowest settings. Here's the minimum specs for the beta:

• 2.2 Ghz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor
• 1 GB system RAM/1.5 GB for Vista and Windows 7
• 128 MB NVidia GeForce 6600 GT/ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card

With the 6800GT he'll meet the minimum, but that's lowest settings and the game will still have trouble maintaining 30fps at all times.

It's OK for shits and giggles, but a wasted opportunity imo. If he was REALLY your best friend, then he'd give you the key, unless you already have it.

Naw, I don't have one haha. They always go to Blizzcon without me since I usually don't give two shits but this does look pretty awesome and I'd love to try it. I'll probably go this year. We'll see. I don't think he cares too much about maintaining 30fps all the time. When he plays WoW, his performance is atrocious at times but he still plays all the time and I guess is fine with it. His current card is a GeForce4 ti4400 that I gave to him years ago lmfao.

celebi23

deathberry said:
I think there's a Gmail addon for Firefox.

I've set up something similar. I've got Google Notifier + the "Google+Growl Utility" all ready to go so I won't have to keep checking every couple of hours :lol With my luck, the Mac beta client probably won't be ready for another month or so :lol I've also set up my GMail account to forward any emails, with the subject of "StarCraft(r) II: Wings of Liberty(tm) Beta Test Invitation", to my MobileMe account. Also set up a "Blizzard" Filter & Label. This way, there's no way that I can miss it :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Piggus said:
Naw, I don't have one haha. They always go to Blizzcon without me since I usually don't give two shits but this does look pretty awesome and I'd love to try it. I'll probably go this year. We'll see. I don't think he cares too much about maintaining 30fps all the time. When he plays WoW, his performance is atrocious at times but he still plays all the time and I guess is fine with it. His current card is a GeForce4 ti4400 that I gave to him years ago lmfao.

:|

TheExodu5

Banned
With a 6800GT he'd be able to play it I'm sure. He's over min reqs. He'd probably be sticking around 20-40fps though on the lowest settings.

Piggus

TheExodu5 said:
With a 6800GT he'd be able to play it I'm sure. He's over min reqs. He'd probably be sticking around 20-40fps though on the lowest settings.

He'd be fine with that. He'd get a nice boost in some other stuff too anyway.

Thanks for the help guys. :) I'll pass the word along.

TheExodu5

Banned
Piggus said:
He'd be fine with that. He'd get a nice boost in some other stuff too anyway.

Thanks for the help guys. :) I'll pass the word along.

Is there a reason he's going 6800GT in particular? Just because if you're actually looking for a card to buy, you may want to check out the X1950 Pro as well. Was a very popular AGP card.

Piggus

TheExodu5 said:
Is there a reason he's going 6800GT in particular? Just because if you're actually looking for a card to buy, you may want to check out the X1950 Pro as well. Was a very popular AGP card.

Well, he doesn't wanna spend too much. I saw an X1950 on Tiger Direct for like $60 but he's had some baaaad experiences with that site so I dunno if he'll buy from them again. I had an X1950 before going to a GTX260 and loved it. So I'll try to convince him to go with that.

TheExodu5

Banned
Fugu said:
There are 4000-series AGP cards that will smoke both of those.

Well if so then check those out Piggus...as long as cost is acceptable.

Here's a 4650...though I guess AGP cards are a bit on the steep end ($75):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150433&cm_re=agp-_-14-150-433-_-Product

Here's a review that will be of great interest to your friend:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-4650-agp,2383.html

They review the HD 4650 with an Athlon 64 3800+. They also compare it to an X700 which will be a bit slower than the 6800GT I believe.

It doesn't seem to be any faster than a 1950 Pro...but it will take a lot less power and run cooler so I'd get it anyways.

Piggus

Ah yeah I looked at those too. Only thing I was a little concerned about was installation problems some people seem to have. That's also pretty spendy especially considering what you can get in PCI express for the same price. There's also the CPU bottleneck to keep in mind.

EDIT: Ah nice thanks for the review. :D

TheExodu5

Banned
Piggus said:
Ah yeah I looked at those too. Only thing I was a little concerned about was installation problems some people seem to have. That's also pretty spendy especially considering what you can get in PCI express for the same price. There's also the CPU bottleneck to keep in mind.

EDIT: Ah nice thanks for the review. :D

Well either way his machine is a dead end. Old hardware is always pricier.

How much is the 6800GT?

Piggus

TheExodu5 said:
Well either way his machine is a dead end. Old hardware is always pricier.

How much is the 6800GT?

Yeah pretty much. :/ He can't upgrade anything without upgrading everything sadly.

And Newegg has a BFG 6800GT for $30. It's out of stock though but after looking around we've found 6800s and the equivalent 7600s for around $50.

TheExodu5

Banned
Piggus said:
Yeah pretty much. :/ He can't upgrade anything without upgrading everything sadly.

And Newegg has a BFG 6800GT for $30. It's out of stock though but after looking around we've found 6800s and the equivalent 7600s for around $50.

If you can get it for $30, go with the 6800. If it's $50...that's a tougher call. It really depends on how much his CPU will be limiting him in SC2. If he knows he's not going to be buying a new PC for a while, I'd go the extra $25.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
GregLombardi said:
I cannot believe the PM I just got.

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

*STARTS DOWNLOADING BETA*

YOU BASTARD!

Somebody please give me a key! I have a Starcraft avatar too! And I've been using it for a couple years now! Gaaaaaah! =(

Edit: You see my GAF handle? "ZealousD"? That's a shortening of a name I've been using since I was a teenager, "ZealousDemon". You wanna know something? The "Zealous" part of my screename is derived from the Zealot from Starcraft 2! I shit you not!

GIVE ME BETA!!! =(

Piggus

TheExodu5 said:
If you can get it for $30, go with the 6800. If it's $50...that's a tougher call. It really depends on how much his CPU will be limiting him in SC2. If he knows he's not going to be buying a new PC for a while, I'd go the extra $25.

Yeah I don't think he'll be fully upgrading or wanting to build a new PC for a while. Perhaps at the end of the year or something. He's still kinda debating between a new computer and a PS3.

zoukka

I just bought the original SC broodwar (again), so could someone link the matchmaking thread for me? I'm not good, but I know the basics.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
zoukka said:
I just bought the original SC broodwar (again), so could someone link the matchmaking thread for me? I'm not good, but I know the basics.
Seems like we just chime in here as we go.

I still can't believe I'm in guys. It's an amazing feeling.

I've only played one game but I can tell you that my biggest concern, the music, is no longer a concern. I lost my 1st game but I didn't mind because I was literally just sitting there listening to the music. It's like an interactive novel, or a movie. I felt like I was in the game, just like I did with Starcraft 1.

So hot. I wish everyone luck getting a key!

Shanadeus

Banned
So where on the battle.net page would you see if you have been accepted into the beta?
It says I am opted in for everything, but I don't know where a beta accept would pop up.
Don't want to miss anything D:

clip

Shanadeus said:
So where on the battle.net page would you see if you have been accepted into the beta?
It says I am opted in for everything, but I don't know where a beta accept would pop up.

It'll show up in your games list.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Shanadeus said:
right on the front page, it'll appear as its own game OR you'll get a key in your email to unlock it. [which then makes it appear as its own game]

Shaoren

Neo Member
The only advantage not to have a beta key is to be able to wait one.

How about custom games ? Is there any map creation tools included in the beta ?

garath

Any more recorded matches? I just finished watching all the Battle Reports from Blizzard, really enjoyed watching those.

Helmholtz

GregLombardi said:
I still can't believe I'm in guys. It's an amazing feeling.

I've only played one game but I can tell you that my biggest concern, the music, is no longer a concern. I lost my 1st game but I didn't mind because I was literally just sitting there listening to the music. It's like an interactive novel, or a movie. I felt like I was in the game, just like I did with Starcraft 1.

So hot. I wish everyone luck getting a key!
Grats! I could tell you were dying to get in :D

Mudkips

Banned
Piggus said:

2.8 ghz Pentium 4
2gbs DDR PC3200
Windows XP Home

I just so happen to have a perfectly wonderful AGP 6800 GT to sell!

And yes, I can confirm terrible problems with the 3000 and 4000 (ATi) series cards on AGP.
(You see, I replaced the 6800 GT with a 4000 series card in order to get hardware h.264 decoding. Driver issues out the fucking ass. The default drivers won't even install for these cards - you have to hunt down and install a separate "AGP Hotfix" or modify the driver's .ini files to include your specific hardware ID.)

LiveWire

Is it just me or are the Protoss Warp Rays sickly powerful for their cost? I had a group of four take out a Battlecruiser and 3 Thors and only lose one. :O

LiveWire said:
Is it just me or are the Protoss Warp Rays sickly powerful for their cost? I had a group of four take out a Battlecruiser and 3 Thors and only lose one. :O

They die terribly fast to a decent M&M ball or equal numbers of Terran Vikings (which can . Thors are a bad counter for Void Rays IMO.

Corum

LiveWire said:

Thors initial air attack damage is only 10, plus Void Rays get +4 damage versus armour. A large group of marines would pose a few problems due to the nature of the Void Ray's weapon.

I want beta. :(

*Edit* What Fragamemnon said.

deathberry

Neo Member
I downloaded the beta through torrents the day it was released. The installer file was 1.6GB Now in the morning, before leaving home, I checked the Battle.net site but it was down, so I thought whatever, I have the installer file anyways.

Come home, install everything fine, starting up the beta it asks for battle.net Username and is stuck as "Connecting To Battle.net" screen. Are the servers down or something wrong with the install file? Also, it never asked me my Battle.net password, just username. And was there any launcher for this game? Like WoW.

I'll redownload the installer file from Battle.net again, but are the servers down or was it the torrent?
Or does my luck fucking suck?! :(

EDIT: Stupid Comodo firewall :p

darkpaladinmfc said:
WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE LEFT WITHOUT A KEY D:
You are not the only one buddy, at least I have been playing the CnC 4 Beta to keep myself sane. Not the same type of RTS as SC2 but it fills that "click on buttons to make units" itch.

Top Bottom