• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Milabrega

Akia said:
I am getting destroyed this semester. So I'm actually glad I haven't been chosen yet.

You should have gotten in. I always recognized you, Johann, and the guy with the mutalisk avatar who updates the korean pro thread as the biggest SC'ers on the board.

LiveWire said:
Is it just me or are the Protoss Warp Rays sickly powerful for their cost? I had a group of four take out a Battlecruiser and 3 Thors and only lose one. :O

they are the epitome of focus fire lol

The Battle Net layout is so fucking slick, I love it.

I'm loving the game. I first played SC more than a decade ago, but hadn't played recently (in part due to not wanting to deal with the archaic Battle Net, disconnects, and cheating) so I came into the beta real rusty. Lost about 10 games in a row before picking a successful strategy.

I play zerg, and go roaches as fast as possible, get a Lair, then drop a nydus in the enemy's base (thanks to improved overlord speed upgrade). I won about 4-5 games last night doing that, with CajoleJuice kicking ass on my team /bow

My biggest problem is middle/end game. If my roach/nydus rush doesn't end the game, I go into this weird period where I don't seem to get much done. I need to get air units shortly after my rush I guess, and expand more.

Any zerg tips?

Akia

wtf, PD got in before me...

Can't wait to build a new PC this summer and play this with my war3 b.net friends (even though they're all dota addicts now).

Milabrega said:
You should have gotten in. I always recognized you, Johann, and the guy with the mutalisk avatar who updates the korean pro thread as the biggest SC'ers on the board.

Yeah, not getting in is best for me right now. I would flunk if I had to choose between SC and school.

LiveWire

Fragamemnon said:
They die terribly fast to a decent M&M ball or equal numbers of Terran Vikings (which can . Thors are a bad counter for Void Rays IMO.

Yea, maybe my opponent didn't have enough Vikings then....in the post match replay I watched him start massing them after my initial incursion into his base with my Void Ray/support air-to-air unit that I can't remember the name of army, but when I came back for the final attack I had 5 carrier support and that pretty much was all she wrote. I had a Mothership finished halfway through the attack but it ended up not being necessary. :D

PhoenixDark said:
The Battle Net layout is so fucking slick, I love it.

I'm loving the game. I first played SC more than a decade ago, but hadn't played recently (in part due to not wanting to deal with the archaic Battle Net, disconnects, and cheating) so I came into the beta real rusty. Lost about 10 games in a row before picking a successful strategy.

I play zerg, and go roaches as fast as possible, get a Lair, then drop a nydus in the enemy's base (thanks to improved overlord speed upgrade). I won about 4-5 games last night doing that, with CajoleJuice kicking ass on my team /bow

My biggest problem is middle/end game. If my roach/nydus rush doesn't end the game, I go into this weird period where I don't seem to get much done. I need to get air units shortly after my rush I guess, and expand more.

Any zerg tips?

i have a video i just posted about all zerg endgame basically.

really just stick to mutas. If you feel like mixing it up, do some brood lords, maybe mix in some corrupters since they can get you some free turrets.

You cant pigeonhole yourself into one unit type though, especially because building 2 or 3 will confuse people in the endgame. So build 1/3 hydras as much as your mutas, and some roaches and ultras too. You can even skip their ramp and try to nydus them, which you'll be able to successfully pull off 70% of the time.

anyways, if its a stalemate of sorts, just build up your army and wait for the other guy to attack. beat him at micro then immediately either take out his EXPs or just go full blitzkrieg into his main. dont forget you can also attack at two points, you need to get used to not just making it a big brawl at his choke, come in with mutas from the back and take out his hive while you come up with a group of hydras at his ramp. Make him split up his forces and choose between stopping your army or saving his workers.

LiveWire said:
Yea, maybe my opponent didn't have enough Vikings then....in the post match replay I watched him start massing them after my initial incursion into his base with my Void Ray/support air-to-air unit that I can't remember the name of army, but when I came back for the final attack I had 5 carrier support and that pretty much was all she wrote. I had a Mothership finished halfway through the attack but it ended up not being necessary. :D

watch the third part of my terran FFA video to see just how effective vikings are.

Paired with BCs you can decimate all opponents if you play it right. The toss guy I played against had a mothership, carriers and void rays out the wazoo and I only lost 6 of my 12 BCs because of my vikings. Then you plop em on the ground and take out their base too!

Things get a lot dicier if Protoss is going "big air" with Void Rays and significant Phoenix support. My suggestion there is for Terran to timing push before the critical mass gets put into place (ideally) or to go two starport vikings with at least one reactor, and then ghosts for EMP on the protoss air blob, with marines being pumped with all the excess MULE minerals.

Least that is how I would counter it if I scouted that. Then again, like I mentioned, I'd probably just push Marauders and Marines as soon as I saw the double stargate going.

edit: Unless you are winning on one base (then you really don't have the gas for it), Terran really need to get Ghosts in TvP IMO. EMP is ridiculous on them and the observer spam from SC1 isn't around anymore since they have to cut Immortal/Colossus production to get out obs in SC2 and most Protoss don't seem to want to do that.

Reaper harass is also A++++++++ in that matchup, I've been trying out a reaper harass FE and it's not that bad since it ties up their army in their base and the reapers can get some scouting done as well so you can see Protoss' tech choice.

DemiMatt

GG to Setreal last night, we went 8-2 and ended up 30th on the 2v2 at ladder in the Platinum league! Cannot wait to conquer more tonight! We did a proxy push rush last night and the dudes were all like *BOXSTER TACTICS!*

Looking for new people to AT with, I added everyone from the match making thread, so feel free to add me.

demimatt.demi

DemiMatt said:
GG to Setreal last night, we went 8-2 and ended up 30th on the 2v2 at ladder in the Platinum league! Cannot wait to conquer more tonight! We did a proxy push rush last night and the dudes were all like *BOXSTER TACTICS!*

Looking for new people to AT with, I added everyone from the match making thread, so feel free to add me.

demimatt.demi

what is setreals name, he msg'ed me but I couldnt figure out what the unique id from his name was.

also I keep trying to add you but it wont let me.

Fragamemnon said:
Things get a lot dicier if Protoss is going "big air" with Void Rays and significant Phoenix support. My suggestion there is for Terran to timing push before the critical mass gets put into place (ideally) or to go two starport vikings with at least one reactor, and then ghosts for EMP on the protoss air blob, with marines being pumped with all the excess MULE minerals.

Least that is how I would counter it if I scouted that. Then again, like I mentioned, I'd probably just push Marauders and Marines as soon as I saw the double stargate going.

edit: Unless you are winning on one base (then you really don't have the gas for it), Terran really need to get Ghosts in TvP IMO. EMP is ridiculous on them and the observer spam from SC1 isn't around anymore since they have to cut Immortal/Colossus production to get out obs in SC2 and most Protoss don't seem to want to do that.

Reaper harass is also A++++++++ in that matchup, I've been trying out a reaper harass FE and it's not that bad since it ties up their army in their base and the reapers can get some scouting done as well so you can see Protoss' tech choice.

if you build around 8 reapers you can QUICKLY destroy someone's hive/etc

Ice Monkey said:
if you build around 8 reapers you can QUICKLY destroy someone's hive/etc

I'm kind of assuming that damage vs. buildings (where Reapers are sorta nuts) is going to change over time. It's a bit over the top now for sure.

Overall, I'm experimenting with trying out early expand strategies that drag things out past one base play and into longer, more macro oriented games. I've never had the kind of stellar APM (been around 100-110 EAPM as a Terran in SC1) to really pull off gosu micro so getting the game to a management style is definitely in my favor.

My one longterm concern is battle.net and the ladder, I'm now used to iccup and macro-friendly Korean proleague maps, and the kind of maps Blizzard makes are VERY different than those maps-much shorter rush distances and a lot less oriented for longer, economically focused games.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
been playing all morning (friend has been lettin me use his account) and its so fucking good.

So overwhelming though, trying to learn all the shortcuts and hotkeys! I'm such a scrub. : (

Any beginner protoss tips?

LiK

Kodiak said:
been playing all morning (friend has been lettin me use his account) and its so fucking good.

So overwhelming though, trying to learn all the shortcuts and hotkeys! I'm such a scrub. : (

more Pylons!

Zzoram

Kodiak said:

I've been seeing a lot of Protoss players open pylon, pylon, gateway, gateway, gas, cybernetics core, pylon

Not sure if that's any good but most Protoss players seem to get 2 gateways pretty early, usually before cybernetics core.

momolicious said:
Mike Uleman isnt with blizzard anymore

From wiki

The musical score to StarCraft was composed by Blizzard Entertainment's in-house composers. Derek Duke and Glenn Stafford composed the tracks in the menus and the in-game music, while Jason Hayes composed the music used in the cinematic cut scenes. Tracy W. Bush provided additional support in composing.

Pretty sure they are still around, they did WC2/WC3/WoW

LiveWire

Fragamemnon said:

Least that is how I would counter it if I scouted that. Then again, like I mentioned, I'd probably just push Marauders and Marines as soon as I saw the double stargate going

Yea, I guess he should have stayed with Vikings/Thors and not tried to go Banshee/Battlecruiser to tech up with me. I went double stargate pretty early (probably too early), and my expansion base only had a half dozen proton cannons and a regiment of Zealots protecting it. He had sent an attack ofReapers, a few Siege tanks, two Thors to my expansion, and was massing some Jackals (I think that's what the 4-wheelers are called?). Though he nearly wiped out my expansion's defenses, my first batch of Void Rays/Phoenixs came and saved the day. Had he pressed the advantage though and sent his Jackal army to my expansion I would have lost it or at least all my drones and defenses. And I knew he had me scouted because he went straight for the Terran radar base upgrade and had pinged me a few times. Though I guess it's all easy to look at in hindsight vs. playing live and thinking on the fly.

Ice Monkey said:
i have a video i just posted about all zerg endgame basically.

really just stick to mutas. If you feel like mixing it up, do some brood lords, maybe mix in some corrupters since they can get you some free turrets.

You cant pigeonhole yourself into one unit type though, especially because building 2 or 3 will confuse people in the endgame. So build 1/3 hydras as much as your mutas, and some roaches and ultras too. You can even skip their ramp and try to nydus them, which you'll be able to successfully pull off 70% of the time.

anyways, if its a stalemate of sorts, just build up your army and wait for the other guy to attack. beat him at micro then immediately either take out his EXPs or just go full blitzkrieg into his main. dont forget you can also attack at two points, you need to get used to not just making it a big brawl at his choke, come in with mutas from the back and take out his hive while you come up with a group of hydras at his ramp. Make him split up his forces and choose between stopping your army or saving his workers.

Just finished watching; great video. Only thing I'm concerned about is expanding so quickly with no units/defense. But then again, I haven't been rushed/attacked early in many of the games I've played so far.

deathberry

Neo Member
Quick performance upgrade from my first match that I obviously lost.

That's the lowest I've gone. Obviously I haven't had any large scale battles, but I usually hover around high50s to low 60s FPS. All settings on Ultra @ 1440x900 rez.

CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
RAM: 4GB
GPU: ATI 5770 w/ 1GB memory @ stock speeds
HDD: Intel X25-M G2 8GB SSD

I've got 4 more HDDs, including a VelociRaptor, amounting to 2TB in total; shouldn't affect the game's performance though.

TheExodu5

Banned
deathberry said:
Quick performance upgrade from my first match that I obviously lost.

That's the lowest I've gone. Obviously I haven't had any large scale battles, but I usually hover around high50s to low 60s FPS. All settings at Ultra.

CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
RAM: 4GB
GPU: ATI 5770 w/ 1GB memory @ stock speeds
HDD: Intel X25-M G2 8GB SSD

I've got 4 more HDDs, including a VelociRaptor, amounting to 2TB in total; shouldn't affect the game's performance though.

What map is that? Also, what resolution are you running at? Map seems to have a huge impact on my performance levels.

LiveWire said:
Yea, I guess he should have stayed with Vikings/Thors and not tried to go Banshee/Battlecruiser to tech up with me. I went double stargate pretty early (probably too early), and my expansion base only had a half dozen proton cannons and a regiment of Zealots protecting it. He had sent an attack ofReapers, a few Siege tanks, two Thors to my expansion, and was massing some Jackals (I think that's what the 4-wheelers are called?). Though he nearly wiped out my expansion's defenses, my first batch of Void Rays/Phoenixs came and saved the day. Had he pressed the advantage though and sent his Jackal army to my expansion I would have lost it or at least all my drones and defenses. And I knew he had me scouted because he went straight for the Terran radar base upgrade and had pinged me a few times. Though I guess it's all easy to look at in hindsight vs. playing live and thinking on the fly.

A lot of players think that some Thors are suitable air defense against dedicated air, and they aren't. You can't spam them up like goliaths at all, they are way too expensive/slow to build.

I don't like mech against Protoss that much at all honestly-the synergies with bio and air are just so much better. Your starports can make vikings against Protoss players getting Colossus to fight your marines/marauders, ghosts are great in TvP, and you can swap starports and barracks to easily go to medivac and marine, or marauder/viking depending on what kind of unit direction Protoss goes for.

Terran ground mech is just all kind of weird now. It almost feels more like something to compliment bio instead of a full-fleshed out tech strategy like it was in SC1.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
snack said:
Yeah. Spread the love dammit!
Hehe while it sad seeing people getting like 3 keys and ebaying them....I would probably want to do that too if I had extra keys and seeing how much money they go for...

i-gotta-get-mine.gif

Kinyou

I tried that Replay watching with the Game client today, to check if it runs all right.
Well the good news is that i can run it on High, the bad news however is that i couldn't change the resolution. The only thing i was able to do was to change from 1024x720 16 bit to 1024x720 32 bit...

Did anyone have the same problem or did the game just lock onto this resolution to save my perfomance?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Milabrega said:
Frag and me and Zzoram too :[

Keys for all

fatty

Milabrega said:

"You are not alone"

Though the list has gotten pretty big. You can always join us without beta with some Starcraft 1 games. Though careful, Claviertekky is salty like no otha, and mcrae is a cheata!

I am so jealous. and sad. I keep checking my Battle.net account only to find nothing (yet I have SC Anthology, Diablo and WC3 and all the expansions). Come on Blizzard, show me some love!

I might check the SC1 forum tonight to see if a couple of people would be willing to do a 2v2 against me and a friend tonight around 9 CST. From our previous SC1 games, people will know that I am not that good and my friend is even worse but we want to get some practice because we'll be going against some others this weekend who always play as zerg.

Been playing a TON of 2v2s with my roommate, I play P and he plays Z, we're currently 17th in a 2v2 plat division, and that's after 5 of our 7 losses being disconnects (our house's wireless internet sucks mad dick).

I have a ton of feedback, but my biggest ones:

Colossi in bunches are damn OP against zerg
Mothership is almost broken, that's how good it is.

The game is amazing

Apath

I can wait for a beta key, but once the editor is released I better have one >=[ I need to get started at the editor asap and am going to try my hand at model editing.

Top Bottom