• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And here's where you're wrong, I don't need to convince anyone of anything. Better luck next time in attempting to drag me into some off topic crap in the OT:

And for the record, the real reviews have indeed been coming in for the game.
Sure thing. Must be why you seem to have a hundred posts on a game that’s so bad that you have no interest in playing.

Give up the charade dude 😂

Well if Starfield is really the game of all time and as good as people claim in to be it should not have to worry about few people talking bad about it in some random video forum right?

The game quality is good right and will still sell coz it wont be affected by some rambling of some obesecure random internet hater right on the net right? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Talk about it by all means, but there’s a handful of people in here with hundreds of posts about how bad it is using metacritic and steam reviews are proof when both are positive. Hence my question, why so much effort to convince others it’s bad?

GHG

Gold Member
Imagine being a PS fan and having the entirety of your posts done in Starfield and Xbox topics to try to mitigate the enjoyment of others.

stop-it-get-some-help.gif

This is the review thread, where reviews are being discussed. If people were having these discussions in the OT then I'd absolutely understand. If I didn't know better I'd think that these childish derailment attempts are being done in an attempt to get the thread locked.
What's wrong guys, not liking all these Starfield threads all of a sudden?

Sure thing. Must be why you seem to have a hundred posts on a game that’s so bad that you have no interest in playing.

Give up the charade dude 😂

I've made it clear I'm not playing this yet, mean while you're calling it a "charade"? There is no need for me to until the beefier mods arrive, the vanilla experience is not something I want. Added bonus, it will also be cheaper. Win win.

And for the record, much less than 100 actually, but glad you're a fan.

The real question is, why are you guys here if you're just here to attack members of the forum and not discuss the topic at hand which is the reviews?

Last edited:
Attack the argument not the person. Self reflect and discuss the topic at hand which are reviews and updates.
This is the review thread, where reviews are being discussed. If people were having these discussions in the OT then I'd absolutely understand. If I didn't know better I'd think that these childish derailment attempts are being done in an attempt to get the thread locked.
What's wrong guys, not liking all these Starfield threads all of a sudden?

I've made it clear I'm not playing this yet, mean while you're calling it a "charade"? There is no need for me to until the beefier mods arrive, the vanilla experience is not something I want. Added bonus, it will also be cheaper. Win win.

And for the record, much less than 100 actually, but glad you're a fan.
sure thing buddy. Keep up the ‘discussion’. Your console warring is transparent as anything

GHG

Gold Member
sure thing buddy. Keep up the ‘discussion’. Your console warring is transparent as anything

Yet more personal attacks.

sam winchester yawn GIF

Try looking in the mirror.

H Hero Trying to convince people it's a bad game?

They are giving new updates in the official Starfield review thread when the score is updated. How is this trying to convince people that it's a bad game?

Or do you prefer they update the thread with only positive reviews?

They want the review thread shut down, just as it is on resetera. These are people who clearly can't handle the truth.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
GHG GHG is right. No point in giving into their attempts of thread derailing.

Pushing the conversation back on topic, I saw this video by IGN yesterday. I think that's a pretty good discussion on Starfield reviews. It also shows that all the IGN panelists agreed with Dan's review of the game.

I like the particular examples each panelist shared of their experience. It shows that everyone is playing the game in detail and sharing what they liked and disliked.

GHG

Gold Member
The game not being on PS is definitely having an effect on the overall reviews and scoring, if you are not seeing that you are just choosing not to.

Now, how much of an effect? Impossible to quantify.

And how does that work when the steam reviews have pretty much been in line with the reviews that have rolled in outside of the early ones which were hand-picked by Microsoft?

Nothing personal? Ah, could have fooled me.

Not one of your posts since you've come into this thread have been in line with the topic of discussion, rock on.

Arbeit Kein Problem GIF by saschamoellersde
? I’m just observing your posts is all. It’s a discussion about people’s opinions on reviews, hence my comments. I questioned why some posters, yourself included seem to post so much around the negative reviews of this game.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm about twenty hours into Starfield and I just can't go any further.
This was initially my goty but it's just not what we we told it would be.
TOTK whips this game to death. I can't believe the open world of a siix year old tablet is far better than this.
Initially as in before starting the game or in the first few hours of the game?

Fools idol

Banned
Starfield's art style amounts to “what if Fallout had no aesthetic?” The city of Neon, which roughly amounts to a few dingy corridors, is Baby’s First Cyberpunk Town, a vapid recreation of the bright lights and garish billboards we’ve seen in countless sci-fi media. Various in-game factions are similarly weak facsimiles of existing stuff, robbed of charm and basic as possible. Many of the aliens resemble melted bug puppets from the set of Starship Troopers. None of the visuals stand out in the least.
lmao... Jim Sterling's review is perfect

4/10

and I fucking agree. Game is ass.

GHG

Gold Member
? I’m just observing your posts is all. It’s a discussion about people’s opinions on reviews, hence my comments. I questioned why some posters, yourself included seem to post so much around the negative reviews of this game.

So what you're asking is that people no longer discuss the status of the reviews for this game? This is a discussion board where a range of topics surrounding videogames and the industry as a whole get discussed.

Look, I'd absolutely understand where you're coming from if these discussions were taking place in the OT of the game but that isn't the case here. There is a perfectly good place for people to discuss playing the game on a moment to moment basis and there are other threads to discuss everything else. Meaning, there is a perfectly good place for you to go and discuss playing the game if that is what you're doing, particularly so if you happen to be enjoying your time with the game.

In the same way that people are not going into the OT attempting to police the narrative, what people are talking about and how much they are talking about it, you don't get to come into the review thread and attempt to police who is discussing what and how much certain individuals are posting. The titles for all the respective threads related to this game clearly outline the purpose.

If you are unable to mentally process what is being discussed in this thread without needing to resort to making things personal with the participants of the thread then you are free to leave.

Last edited:
So what you're asking is that people no longer discuss the status of the reviews for this game? This is a discussion board where a range of topics surrounding videogames and the industry as a whole get discussed.

Look, I'd absolutely understand where you're coming from if these discussions were taking place in the OT of the game but that isn't the case here. There is a perfectly good place for people to discuss playing the game on a moment to moment basis and there are other threads to discuss everything else. Meaning, there is a perfectly good place for you to go and discuss playing the game if that is what you're doing, particularly so if you happen to be enjoying your time with the game.

In the same way that people are not going into the OT attempting to police the narrative, what people are talking about and how much they are talking about it, you don't get to come into the review thread and attempt to police who is discussing what and how much certain individuals are posting. The titles for all the respective threads related to this game clearly outline the purpose.
It’s fair enough. People who like the game stick to the OT and those who don’t come to this thread. Just seems that most of the people posting negativity most often in this thread haven’t played it. Hence my question why spend so much time? I like to at least have some experience of a game before writing hundreds of posts about how bad it is

GHG

Gold Member
It’s fair enough. People who like the game stick to the OT and those who don’t come to this thread. Just seems that most of the people posting negativity most often in this thread haven’t played it. Hence my question why spend so much time? I like to at least have some experience of a game before writing hundreds of posts about how bad it is

Where was this sentiment (the bold) when people were writing hundreds, if not thousands, of posts regarding the game before it had even released (as in, these people had no experience with the game at that point)?

Where was that sentiment when this board was getting spammed with utterly worthless Starfield viral marketing style threads?

You don't get to be selective about this.

Last edited:
Where was this sentiment (the bold) when people were writing hundreds, if not thousands, of posts regarding the game before it had even released?

Where was that sentiment when this board was getting spammed with utterly worthless Starfield viral marketing style threads?

😂 So it’s because you’re upset people were hyping the game.

Personally I don’t mind people getting excited about things, what I do question is a desire to be negative.

As I said earlier, you’re transparent as anything

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Where was this sentiment (the bold) when people were writing hundreds, if not thousands, of posts regarding the game before it had even released (as in, these people had no experience with the game at that point)?

So weird.

Imagine saying "I've got to keep shitposting for the next 18 months because people were getting excited for 18 months before the release. I will write hundreds, nay thousands of posts about how bad a game I have not played and will not play is. I am so detached from reality, I'll say that's perfectly reasonable behaviour if called out.

If the power that goes into troll "concern" or out and out hate for Starfield could could be harnessed in some way, we'd be able to abandon fossil fuels tomorrow. All it'd take is another YouTuber dropping a clickbait review.

GHG

Gold Member
😂 So it’s because you’re upset people were hyping the game.

Personally I don’t mind people getting excited about things, what I do question is a desire to be negative.

As I said earlier, you’re transparent as anything

That's not what I said but if you wish to interpret it as such then so be it, I can't control how you think.

Actions speak louder than words. When people were hyping the game to high heavens I opted to not participate in those discussions despite having a high degree of scepticism. I'm also not going into the OT to discuss my feelings on how the game has turned out because that's not the place for that discussion (there are plenty of other threads here for that), people who are enjoying it for what it is have a right to be able to do so and have a place to discuss it.

All I'm getting from you is that you only want positive things regarding starfield to be discussed. If you had no problem with people discussing it a lot in a positive sense without having played it then you should also have no problem with people discussing the negatives without having played it.

So weird.

Imagine saying "I've got to keep shitposting for the next 18 months because people were getting excited for 18 months before the release. I will write hundreds, nay thousands of posts about how bad a game I have not played and will not play is. I am so detached from reality, I'll say that's perfectly reasonable behaviour if called out.

If the power that goes into troll "concern" or out and out hate for Starfield could could be harnessed in some way, we'd be able to abandon fossil fuels tomorrow. All it'd take is another YouTuber dropping a clickbait review.

The above applies to you as well. Don't try and put words in my mouth.

Introspection is needed for any of you getting bent out of shape about people discussing more recent reviews, and how the general discourse surrounding this game has evolved.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
That's not what I said but if you wish to interpret it as such then so be it, I can't control how you think.

Actions speak louder than words. When people were hyping the game to high heavens I opted to not participate in those discussions despite having a high degree of scepticism. I'm also not going into the OT to discuss my feelings on how the game has turned out because that's not the place for that discussion (there are plenty of other threads here for that), people who are enjoying it for what it is have a right to be avke to do so and have a place to discuss it.

All I'm getting from you is that you only want positive things regarding starfield to be discussed. If you had no problem with people discussing it a lot in a positive sense without having played it then you should also have no problem with people discussing the negatives without having played it.

Introspection is needed for any of you getting bent out of shape about people discussing more recent reviews and how the general evolution of discourse surrounding this game.
I'm not "getting bent out of shape" I'm just marvelling (and despairing, to be fair) at the energy that goes into shitting on a game by people that have no enthusiasm for ever playing it. A breathtakingly weird way to live life.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I'm not "getting bent out of shape" I'm just marvelling (and despairing, to be fair) at the energy that goes into shitting on a game by people that have no enthusiasm for ever playing it. A breathtakingly weird way to live life.

I actually was planning on purchasing it until real footage of the game emerged. The game got added to my steam wishlist as soon as I could.

LXKDLld.png

It will now remain there until modders or Bethesda fix what I wont like about it (or until some Enderal style conversion mod emerges). So it is what it is.

In the meantime I can participate in the discussions surrounding what went wrong, so despair all you want.

Last edited:

DJ12

I think Sony used to be super generous with handing out review copies and goodies during late PS3 - early PS4 times but not anymore.
Sooner be told the truth by fan publications anyway. But informing readers bout the true quality of the game to make informed purchases doesn't seem to be the flavour of the month these days.

I always look at negative reviews, they dont make stiff up, so if i can live with the stuff they are saying ill still buy the game being away of its issues.
Who is convincing others not to like a game? This is just a projection. No one is doing that.
Todd did it and is still doing it.

solidus12

Imagine being a PS fan and having the entirety of your posts done in Starfield and Xbox topics to try to mitigate the enjoyment of others.

stop-it-get-some-help.gif
Since when is it against the rules to discuss a review in a review thread at that, of a highly anticipated game that was supposed to be the game of the generation.

I guess Phil was right after all, Starfield being an 11/10 won’t save Xbox.

Maybe a 7/10 game will? Or should you guys start hyping up the next release like you did for Redfall and Starfield?

bad man meat wave GIF by SideOneDummy Records

Last edited:

Actions speak louder than words. When people were hyping the game to high heavens I opted to not participate in those discussions despite having a high degree of scepticism. I'm also not going into the OT to discuss my feelings on how the game has turned out because that's not the place for that discussion (there are plenty of other threads here for that), people who are enjoying it for what it is have a right to be able to do so and have a place to discuss it.

Introspection is needed for any of you getting bent out of shape about people discussing more recent reviews, and how the general discourse surrounding this game has evolved.
Spin it anyway you want, you’re posting hundreds of time about how shit a game is that you haven’t played. That’s fact.

I’ve discussed negative aspects of the game myself, you know, from actually playing it.

Clearly the negativity about this game upsets you, it is why you question it.
Not at all, there’s plenty of negatives judt like every other game. Just questioning why sone people are spending so much time with negative comments when they haven’t played it.

Have you played it?

It will now remain there until modders or Bethesda fix what I wont like about it (or until some Enderal style conversion mod emerges). So it is what it is.

In the meantime I can participate in the discussions surrounding what went wrong, so despair all you want.

What is it you think you won't like about this game?

Desolation and emptiness of space is beautiful thing to behold in this game. Those are accompanied with relaxation activities like scanning planet, chill music etc.

If you want pace to pick up, you can always go to main quest or one of the involved side quests, no shortage of those.

Yesterday I roamed around on our moon for hours, taking in the scenery and music while doing menial tasks. When I switched to main quest, was bombarded with action, so went back to just chill elsewhere.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Starfield's art style amounts to “what if Fallout had no aesthetic?” The city of Neon, which roughly amounts to a few dingy corridors, is Baby’s First Cyberpunk Town, a vapid recreation of the bright lights and garish billboards we’ve seen in countless sci-fi media. Various in-game factions are similarly weak facsimiles of existing stuff, robbed of charm and basic as possible. Many of the aliens resemble melted bug puppets from the set of Starship Troopers. None of the visuals stand out in the least.
lmao... Jim Sterling's review is perfect

4/10

and I fucking agree. Game is ass.
His name is now Steparnie now don't link this crud joke reviews

Pretty sure Xbox fans hyped this game up to be the biggest release of this gen, so now that the reviews seem to indicate it isn't exactly that, it's a bad thing to discuss this even happening?
Not at all, discuss as much as you want. I’d just suggest to some people who are posting hundreds of times in these threads actually try the game first. But I get the feeling I know why they won’t

I am enjoying the game, and while it feels like a step forward compared to their previous games. It's open world actually feels like a step back. Fallout 76 is more enjoyable to explore. It's like dropping onto a Mass Effect 1 planet without a vehicle. Feels even more stark after coming of TOTK where you can go really fast from the highest point to the lowest point of the depths and into a building without a loading screen. Skyrim had this problem but it was the standard then but the Witcher 3 exists etc. I wish there was 10 times less planets that were 10 times bigger with multiple cities and towns to explore
I think the Elder Scrolls 6 will be the same but I have a feeling that Fallout 5 will not be in the Creation Engine and might even be Unreal by then like everything else, so we might actually get a seamless world with vehicles.

GHG

Gold Member
Spin it anyway you want, you’re posting hundreds of time about how shit a game is that you haven’t played. That’s fact.

I’ve discussed negative aspects of the game myself, you know, from actually playing it.

Show me where I said the game is shit.

Have you played it?

Same pattern, as always. Why is there seemingly some desperation to make people play the game?

What is it you think you won't like about this game?

Desolation and emptiness of space is beautiful thing to behold in this game. Those are accompanied with relaxation activities like scanning planet, chill music etc.

If you want pace to pick up, you can always go to main quest or one of the involved side quests, no shortage of those.

Yesterday I roamed around on our moon for hours, taking in the scenery and music while doing menial tasks. When I switched to main quest, was bombarded with action, so went back to just chill elsewhere.

If I want to roam around space I can do so in Elite Dangerous with my Hotas or even No Mans Sky where you can actually hop between planet to planet. The traversal and ship flying elements in Starfield are, by all accounts, its weakest points. So much so that people are recommending you heavily utilise the fast travel system (not even from the star map, but from the quest menu). I very much value traversal in the more open ended games that I play, but I see no sense in roaming around an instanced space to no end where the planets are nothing more than a .jpeg.

I'll get round to playing it at some point (which may well be in the distant future) but right now I have other games that better scratch the itches I would have hoped Starfield would have.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I am enjoying the game, and while it feels like a step forward compared to their previous games. It's open world actually feels like a step back. Fallout 76 is more enjoyable to explore. It's like dropping onto a Mass Effect 1 planet without a vehicle. Feels even more stark after coming of TOTK where you can go really fast from the highest point to the lowest point of the depths and into a building without a loading screen. Skyrim had this problem but it was the standard then but the Witcher 3 exists etc. I wish there was 10 times less planets that were 10 times bigger with multiple cities and towns to explore
I think the Elder Scrolls 6 will be the same but I have a feeling that Fallout 5 will not be in the Creation Engine and might even be Unreal by then like everything else, so we might actually get a seamless world with vehicles.
I told everyones TOTKs seemeslessness would be a problem for Bethesda

I am known for my industry perdictions

Psybear.jpg

Show me where I said the game is shit.

Same pattern, as always. Why is there seemingly some desperation to make people play the game?

If I want to roam around space I can do so in Elite Dangerous with my Hotas or even No Mans Sky where you can actually hop between planet to planet. The traversal and ship flying elements in Starfield are, by all accounts, its weakest points. So much so that people are recommending you heavily utilise the fast travel system (not even from the star map, but from the quest menu). I very much value traversal in the more open ended games that I play, but I see no sense in roaming around an instanced space to no end where the planets are nothing more than a .jpeg.

I'll get round to playing it at some point (which may well be in the distant future) but right now I have other games that better scratch the itches I would have hoped Starfield would have.
No desperation, it’s just your opinion of things hold more weight if you’ve actually experienced them.

Feel free to keep posting your feelings about something you haven’t played though 😂

Still here gaslighting the participants of this thread and not actually engaging in the topic at hand.

fd5a290bc0c76e7c2dda7ac5f3cf4469.jpg

When does your shift end?
Topic at hand is reviews of something you haven’t experienced. You’re amongst the least capable of actually contributing to this thread 😂

Fools idol

Banned
the game has been datamined extensively and there is apparently some evidence that manual planetary landings were in the game at some point but got cut.

Does make me wonder if it will be coming in a future dlc or something

Eh, what?

I am talking about vibe of the game.

No Man's Sky is too busy and colourful for me.

Elite Dangerous does look similar, but if doesn't have jet packs or character progression to keep me playing for long.

Starfield looks like Animal Crossing style game made for me. I cannot stand Animal Crossing art style for long. But Starfield feels up my alley. I can spend hours roaming around, doing menial tasks. I dig that grounded sci fi vibe.

It's at 85 with only 61 reviews. Likely 84 with 70+ reviews.

83 it'll settle perhaps with 85+ reviews. FFXIV ended at 87 with 143 reviews. So that comparison between the two hasn't aged well. At least critically, the much derided FFXIV is a step up if it shakes out as expected.

Top Bottom