• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Banjo64

cumsessed
They obviously didn't mention ultra specific stuff but Todd still mentioned the importance of physics, control and fuel in space. Momentum is pretty basic stuff. Stuff that even random ass youtubers and commenters see. More complicated stuff would be dealing with space dust and such on high speeds. Of course those stuff will be glossed over. It still has to be fun just like driving on GTA isn't as complicated as GT or Forza. Nevertheless it still has acceptable physics just on eye test.

here around minute 4

You see those countless sci-fi games usually explain what effect those fantasy like elements on the physics. How do you explain fucking momentum as a fantasy element.

I have no idea if there is a massive emphasis on fantasy in Starfield but out of all trailers, it obviously isn't the focus of the game. Just like cutting wood and growing plants isn't a focus on Skyrim. Like it's probably there if you say so but I get a feel they focused more on faction based story and background just based on what they directly said on the presentation.

Todd just doesn’t understand that it’s a game silly.

Stooky

Yeah, it's funny watching the spin. It's got the same open critic score as Forbidden West and Spiderman, yet many can't resist calling it a disappointment or are making excuses as to why it isn't even higher.
Its more of an reaction to people making this the xbox savior, Phils retribution. It wasn't fair to put all that hype on it. Just let be it what it is, a decently good game. Hopefully the start of a steady stream of good titles from Xbox 1st party.

Hugare

Hell yeah. 88 is a fantastic score. It'd probably be 90+ if it weren't for the IGN and Gamespot 7's.

CAN'T FUCKING WAIT

Edge/Eurogamer looking at the MC score like:

Look Out Uh Oh GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Honestly kinda funny how all of a sudden we’re going to get a shift in the conversation. Story being the main selling point is back on the menu.
The main hope for the game was in story and roleplaying depth. Said this over a year ago after the first major gameplay reveal. It was never going to be some hyper polished action game like Horizon.

Lokaum D+

No, that was actually confirmed by Bethesda a long time ago.

No flights inside the planet's atmosphere / over the terrain. There is not even a vehicle that you can drive on the planet. And I think the reason for that is that Bethesda wanted to limit how fast you can move on the planet because if you moved too fast, you'd have run into those invisible walls in 3-5 minutes (which usually takes ~9 minutes if you're running).
damn, as aways modders ll have to save Bethesda game once again, suck to be console only at times like this.

FunkMiller

But outside of those cities. The magic of Skyrim was wondering around the world and stumbling upon interesting quests or events. It seems that's lost in Starfield.

Yeah, it's a significant disappointment for me, as I love that shit. Tears Of The Kingdom did it so brilliantly earlier this year, and Skyrim was great at it too. Same with Elden Ring.

The fact this game doesn't really have that is a real downer.

Last edited:

Belthazar

My main takeaway from this is... 87 is a good score (even though it'll most likely end in the low 80s when all is said and done), but Microsoft kinda needed it to do better. There's also the fact that the biggest outlets gave it a 7/10, which is basically mediocre in the gaming review score curve. So, not the silver bullet some were expecting

Bkdk

Seems like bethesda should've just did fallout 5 with some vehicle combat added in and they could have ship that game in 2020/2021. The space stuff is what hurt them most. All I want is more bethesda open world to have fun with mods, I hope they don't get over confidant of what they can do and ship their next title much sooner. 8 years wait for nothing, could have been 5 years and get a more polished experience if they just did fallout 5.

It’s 100% quest driven, and Matty who is a big time BGS fanboy says that it’s the first Bethesda game where “there’s a right way to play”.

Honestly kinda funny how all of a sudden we’re going to get a shift in the conversation. Story being the main selling point is back on the menu.

What does that mean? Avoid exploration and just play quest to quest?

Montauk

Yes. It was claimed. He directly mentioned ship physics. You didn't even watch it. As I said, moving on.

Saying that we’ve worked on physics for the ship (etc) does not constitute a claim that the game would feature realistic ship momentum. Again, no specific claim was made.

They didn’t promise you something that they didn’t deliver. You imagined something that you seemingly wanted, and now you’re disappointed.

There’s nothing about this game that ever looked like a sim either, nothing outside of people’s imaginations.

Either way it looks like a relativity trivial issue given the other limitations in space and throughout the game. This wasn’t gonna get a 10/10 if the ships retained momentum, sorry.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Its more of an reaction to people making this the xbox savior, Phils retribution. It wasn't fair to put all that hype on it. Just let be it what it is, a decently good game. Hopefully the start of a steady stream of good titles from Xbox 1st party.
Except those almost all came from fans not happy about no ps5 version. They tried to add unrealistic expectations to the game. Even phil said it wouldn't turn around sales. Especially since it is a pc centric game and community.

M.W.

An example of stuff that can happen:
I once landed on a planet to explore. Noticed a ship entering orbit and landing. I followed it to its landing site. Turned out to be a scuttled factory. The ship belonged to pirates, who were stupid enough to leave it unguarded. My companion and I snuck aboard and triggered an alarm, causing the ship to ascend back into orbit. We wiped out the rest of the pirates and took control of the ship. I wanted to dock it somewhere so I could sell it, so I looked for a nearby space station on the map. When I arrived there, I find it all shot up, with only a single guard left alive. Turns out some other pirates had found the station and decided to claim it for their own. My stolen ship was now locked, so I had to venture into the station to defeat the pirates. This included turning off the gravity at several points to navigate, some very tense zero G gunfights, and even a spectacular explose decompression at one point. I eventually clear the station and head out to civilized space to sell my ship there. By the time I arrive, I feel like that "quick 20 minute adventure" Rick and Morty meme, lmao.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What does that mean? Avoid exploration and just play quest to quest?
It means the exploration is an illusion and not what many expected/wanted it to be. Personally, I think that's the biggest shortcoming of the game.

Alanah Pearce showed the limitations of space exploration. Then when you want to land on/visit planets, it is mostly just you clicking on a map; you're not actually flying to it.

Edit: here is her video.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

It means the exploration is an illusion and not what many expected/wanted it to be. Personally, I think that's the biggest shortcoming of the game.

Alanah Pearce showed the limitations of space exploration. Then when you want to land on/visit planets, it is mostly just you clicking on a map; you're not actually flying to it.

I'm very surprised they haven't got the exploration right, because that's always been a strength of theirs.

Sounds like the concept got away from them, and they tried to do too much, and lost too much of what made their previous games great.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Game is sitting at 88 on MC and people are acting like it's a disappointment. Some of you are delusional.
Obviously. Some of worst rated games this year were 70. (my fav games mind you)
Best games being 88 is only 18 points apart

Skifi28

I'll reserve judgmenent until I've played it, but watching a few reviews it looks like your typical Bethesda game with a space flavor that mostly involves visiting dead planets with little to see or do.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
This is really disappointing tbh. I’d have thought you’d at least be able to fly around to planets within the system you’re currently in.

Kinda strange with a space game where you can barely explore space.
Yeah. That kind of sucks. No crashing into things. I guess that would be too demanding to do.

It makes sense. It would be hard to model that on a personal computer.

It is just a video game.

Edit: here is her video.

Bro that's more tacked on than the start screen

Red5

In No Mans Sky you can actua...ugh nevermind...

NMS doesn't have the RPG elements and story usually found in a Bethesda game, people don't just want NMS space exploration, they want that with Bethesda RPG elements. NMS alone becomes boring and repetitive after a while. I have 80 hours in it and reached the center of the galaxy, it really gets tiresome.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
NMS doesn't have the RPG elements and story usually found in a Bethesda game, people don't just want NMS space exploration, they want that with Bethesda RPG elements. NMS alone becomes boring and repetitive after a while. I have 80 hours in it and reached the center of the galaxy, it really gets tiresome.
Having RPG elements in a game does not gimp the space exploration part or the seamlessness/immersion part. Those are 2 very different things, and one has no bearing on the other one.

Midn1ght

It's not about physical vs digial. GP will RUIN gaming. Not only physical gaming.
Idk why you can't see that. Devs can't make a good game if they can't sell it.
And yeah, me, an old man still want to own the game. I get to smell new game and own it even today. more so than as a kid honestly because I have money
I understand, also to be clear, I've never subscribed to GP and buy every game I play.

I'm just trying to see things from a kid/teen living today with limited money perspective. If I was a 12 years old today with limited money for gaming, GP would probably be godlike. My nephew is 12, a huge gamer and GP allows him to try and play games he would not been able to buy if GP wasn't a thing.

Does GP lower the quality of games created by devs? I don't know, maybe, but it seems to me that things are still the same, if a medium or small sized studio keeps releasing shit, GP won't save them long term and they'll bite the dust at some point.

A market with only subscription services as a way to get games? Ok I'm with you, it's bad. But right now, GP is a fine addition to the traditional "Buy the game you want" market.

Top Bottom