• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Moose

Link isn't working mate
One-Piece-4.jpg

Tsaki

I don't get why they would be that upset anyway. 87 is a pretty damn good score. If I had an Xbox or a PC that wasn't a piece of poo, I would be excited to play this.

New Vegas was scored in the mid 80s and is one of my all time favorites.
The game's score is indeed great. But saying people had overhyped themselves would be putting it mildly. In internet discourse (yeah yeah I know) Starfield was THE thing to release for the past 2 years (along with Zelda). For the past month a day wouldn't pass without a Starfield thread being created for whatever the fuck reason. I didn't follow the game's development at all but seeing the amount of forum talk about it constantly, it definitely made me think this is 95-tier game.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It would be nice if they actually improved the important stuff, like UI, inventory management and character animations/camera perspective during dialogue.

There are certain things about this game, mechanically and systemically, that are absolutely inexcusable in this fine year of 2023.
And yet plenty will.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
I saw his review, the dude point out stuff that literally every rpg does like it's something new or noteworthy, his review sound more like 7,5 than what he wrote on his clickbait title.

I wasn't a fan of this critical mcgregor wannabe dude before and this review didn't changed my mind one bit.
his review seems like a 9/10 to me
he loves bethesda rpgs

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I mean, good for you for loving the game, but I'm playing for like 15 hours and few things to notice in context to all the reviews (from my own personal experience):

1. The bugs are there, there are plenty of them and no, the game is not polished. Game crashed, some quest triggers broke, NPCs acted weird... All the typical BGS junk is here on par with my first 15 hours of F4 1.0. Moreso, it's not optimized on PC, the motion smoothing is still there and the engine carry over some PC-specific bugs from freaking Skyrim. Reviewers oversold it's technical state by a ton.

2. Technically, it's not even a true openworld game. Starfield doesn't have the persistent uninterrupted overworld. You fast-travel between the small to medium-sized cells via the map screen, but you can't reach any location without the loading screen and fast travel. It's way closer to Mass Effect than to Fallout 4 in that regard. For a Bethesda title, it's a regression. Never even saw this point being brought up in revews, including 7/10 ones. That's a major omission.

3. Despite the ship editor being fun, the whole space part of the game is a fairly useless minigame in one static cell that you can avoid entirely without any repercussions. The game about magic of space is just bad at doing gameplay in an open space. It's a glorified shooting gallery with a fast travel screen. Very few reviews carried this point across.

I dunno, I get the strong CP2077 vibes where positive initial reviews totally missed the sad reality of the game's true technical state and the devs overselling the scope. Granted, Starfield is mildly broken compared to CP2077, from the scope standpoint it's the same old 'bit more that BGS can chew'. Even Starfield reddit is coping with the reality right now, to my surprise.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
SARAH looks like ass and people just have her clunky ass following around because she is a mule.
It really is so stupid. These games should not have carry weight limit. It just adds annoying level of gameplay.
The last game that did it well from them was Morrowind but that game UI was gloious

GymWolf

Gold Member
T
SARAH looks like ass and people just have her clunky ass following around because she is a mule.
It really is so stupid. These games should not have carry weight limit. It just adds annoying level of gameplay.
The last game that did it well from them was Morrowind but that game UI was gloious
The weight limit is usually there to not break the economy...at least for the first 10 hours, then it break it anyway in 99,99% of rpg.

So yeah it is both annoying but necessary to give game a fake resemblance of balance for the first hours...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
watch again , he is praising everything about the game.
also takes a few jibes at the naysayers and a certain.....................group of fans
No thanks, once was more than enough :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The trolling of haters was kinda fun yeah.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Woke up to Metros article on the 7/10s. If that's not a set up for their review I don't know what is.

Eh, Metro's game coverage is all about provocation and click bait, probably their entire output.

I would say that article has been written irrespective of what's happening with their review. People click more on bad news, so that's what their article is going to focus on.

GHG

Gold Member
Metro's first impressions:

A theoretical Han Solo simulator has long been our dream game. For decades there’s been almost nothing that comes even close to that idea and now suddenly there’s both Starfield and Star Wars Outlaws. Neither is exactly what we had in mind, but we can only hope that they’re both successes, so that it encourages even more space travel games and more chances at a dream come true.

From that perspective alone we were very much looking forward to Starfield, even if the almost complete lack of hands-ons previews was highly suspicious. Bethesda has never taken criticism well though and so it was little surprise to find them trying to withhold review copies until the last minute – although the bizarre logic they used for who did and didn’t get a copy until now was certainly unexpected.

Their actions immediately birthed a host of conspiracy theories but, as ever, the simplest explanation was the correct one: they were trying to hide the fact that the game’s not very good. It’s also not very bad, but the one thing we didn’t expect is what a poor first impression the game makes. And that is likely what Bethesda has been most concerned about.

The first impressions of Starfield are not those of a potential game of the year. However, there is good stuff in here. The space combat has potential; we haven’t got to any of the ship or weapon customisation yet; and we like the way the skill tree works, where you have to complete little achievement-like tasks to unlock the option to upgrade an ability.

The dialogue’s very prosaic but it gets its points across quickly and efficiently, with no conversation going on for more than a few lines, which we appreciate. But there’s too much here that is either near identical to previous Bethesda titles (do lockpicking mini-games really make sense in space?) or are merely upgraded from outright bad to mediocre (the graphics and combat).

No matter what else the game gets wrong though it’s the space navigation and obsession with fast travel that is the most preposterous. It’s an abject failure of both game design and technology, as well as being an unintended admission that travelling through the game world(s) is something so tedious you’ll want to avoid it from the very first moment.

Last edited:

kyussman

Even though I'm not gaming right now I was looking to this to see if this could be the spark that reignited my gaming mojo....I decided to watch a playthrough on youtube to get a feel for it and saw that you are presented with forced pronouns at the character creator screen.It's good to know that Bethesda are fully onboard with the insane,regressive and dangerous cult that is gender ideology...I however am not,so fuck you and fuck your game.

Elysium44

Banned
Even though I'm not gaming right now I was looking to this to see if this could be the spark that reignited my gaming mojo....I decided to watch a playthrough on youtube to get a feel for it and saw that you are presented with forced pronouns at the character creator screen.It's good to know that Bethesda are fully onboard with the insane,regressive and dangerous cult that is gender ideology...I however am not,so fuck you and fuck your game.

I think this is a Microsoft thing, Forza Horizon 5 also has pronouns, female clothes for male players etc.

I imagine a lot of games will be going the same way nowadays, as society has decided (or it's been decided for us) that we're going down this path. We either overlook it or give up buying the games I guess.

I mean, good for you for loving the game, but I'm playing for like 15 hours and few things to notice in context to all the reviews (from my own personal experience):

1. The bugs are there, there are plenty of them and no, the game is not polished. Game crashed, some quest triggers broke, NPCs acted weird... All the typical BGS junk is here on par with my first 15 hours of F4 1.0. Moreso, it's not optimized on PC, the motion smoothing is still there and the engine carry over some PC-specific bugs from freaking Skyrim. Reviewers oversold it's technical state by a ton.

2. Technically, it's not even a true openworld game. Starfield doesn't have the persistent uninterrupted overworld. You fast-travel between the small to medium-sized cells via the map screen, but you can't reach any location without the loading screen and fast travel. It's way closer to Mass Effect than to Fallout 4 in that regard. For a Bethesda title, it's a regression. Never even saw this point being brought up in revews, including 7/10 ones. That's a major omission.

3. Despite the ship editor being fun, the whole space part of the game is a fairly useless minigame in one static cell that you can avoid entirely without any repercussions. The game about magic of space is just bad at doing gameplay in an open space. It's a glorified shooting gallery with a fast travel screen. Very few reviews carried this point across.

I dunno, I get the strong CP2077 vibes where positive initial reviews totally missed the sad reality of the game's true technical state and the devs overselling the scope. Granted, Starfield is mildly broken compared to CP2077, from the scope standpoint it's the same old 'bit more that BGS can chew'. Even Starfield reddit is coping with the reality right now, to my surprise.

Don't agree with the last past. Starfield is not even mildly broken. It's not broken at all.
Otherwise it's true,

CP2077 had more fun combat tho.
For me there is no difference between melee or gun combat. That sucks. That aspect of the game is quite shallow, even it's satisfying gunplay and combat.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Don't agree with the last past. Starfield is not even mildly broken. It's not broken at all.
With me, it is typical Beth title. A lot of funny visual glitches, some annoying bugs, few broken triggers (that can be reset via quickload), but totally stable for an RPG of this scope. It's not bug-free though, It's in-line with Fallout 4' state on it's release.

Agree about the combat. CP2077 was way more interesting, punchy and vertical.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Don't worry, modders are gonna fix everything, aka my most hated phrase of the week.

20 years of mods dependance really did a number on many people minds when it comes to bethesda games.
Mods are there to enrich the game's experience. They are not to "complete" the game or fix its broken (or even missing) foundations.

"mods will fix it" is a cop-out statement, and devs should be criticized for their incomplete game regardless. After all, they are charging full price -- $70.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Mods are there to enrich the game's experience. They are not to "complete" the game or fix its broken (or even missing) foundations.

"mods will fix it" is a cop-out statement, and devs should be criticized for their incomplete game regardless. After all, they are charging full price -- $70.
Things to consider, most useful community fixes won't be avaliable on consoles anyway, because the vast majority of them will use 3rd party tools liky Script Extender or Wrye Bash.

Last edited:

X-Wing

Do you guys think that there is someone at Bethesda that facepalms whenever Todd overpromises?
Like, that someone facepalmed and thought "Please shut up" when Todd said "See that moon? You can visit it".

Top Bottom