• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield's Shattered Space DLC Launches to Mixed Reviews, Reportedly only 10+ Hours Long

GHG

Thread has turned to shit with folk moaning about Bethesda and how their games suck and how their next game will suck.

I would like to read about, as a guy that enjoys Starfield, people’s opinion on this DLC.

Definitely not @James Sawyer Ford bumping his fucking gums endlessly about how he hates this game. There’s a million other Starfield threads full of that.

Gordon Ramsay Hello GIF by UFC

Last edited:
I would hazard a guess that maybe Shattered Space was supposed to be a larger scale thing but the budget wasn't as big after Starfield didn't exactly make any money so this is what was made and released

diffusionx

Gold Member
Please stop promoting Luke Stephens. He's a clown who stole content in the past and nowadays is just regurgitating the general opinion of the masses.
whenever I start watching a video of his, about 7 minutes into the 25 minute video, when he is repeating himself to drag it out for the algorithm for the 4th time, I wonder WTF am I doing to myself.

killatopak

Gold Member
Not exactly a great showing for its first dlc but that has always been the case since TESIV. Horse armor, Hearthfire, Automaton, Anchorage.

Notice how it's the last DLCs that end up being good? Knights, Point Lookout, Far Harbor, Dragonborn/Dawnguard.

The issue is how are you gonna tide Starfield until then. So far most Bethesda games have been able to tide through it by how great their base game is.

Esparadrapo

Neo Member
How many people actually played it? I remember Starfield reviews were also made by a lot of ppl who didn't own it or refunded it.
Nope. That was debunked long ago as when you have your library details private your account shows zero products. At least on Steam you can't review a game you don't own, either. The only reviews that meet this criteria are the ones with the "product refunded" icon on them and you'll be hard pressed to find more than an handful. Some people were mad at players leaving a bad review after putting hundreds of hours in the game.

In fact you can set the filters for the Steam reviews to "over 10 hours" so no refunded ones should pop up and the player should also have a good grasp at the game and it still shows a 61% approval rate.

Maybe more than 50 hours played? 59%
Over 100 hours played? Still 59%

clarky

Gold Member
Nope. That was debunked long ago as when you have your library details private your account shows zero products. At least on Steam you can't review a game you don't own, either. The only reviews that meet this criteria are the ones with the "product refunded" icon on them and you'll be hard pressed to find more than an handful. Some people were mad at players leaving a bad review after putting hundreds of hours in the game.

In fact you can set the filters for the Steam reviews to "over 10 hours" so no refunded ones should pop up and the player should also have a good grasp at the game and it still shows a 61% approval rate.

Maybe more than 50 hours played? 59%
Over 100 hours played? Still 59%
So the majority of people who played more than ten hours enjoyed it then?

Last edited:

jwaxeman

Bethesda was probably a better buy for Microsoft than Bungie was for Sony but I can’t tell you how disappointed I am in the state of both right now. Feels like the entire gaming industry is just collapsing into three core live service titles and everything else is a niche indie or MilSim game on Steam.

Looking back, the best parts of Bethesda's RPGs were the vast open worlds with the freedom to explore and stumble across entertaining situations. The worse part of their games are the bugs, which they are bad at fixing but I suspect the issue is more the engine they are using that seems to be held together by sticky tape so if they attempted to fix everything then the whole games would crumble to bits! It doesn't help that their writing and characters are mediocre at best and downright forgettable at worse. You don't play their games for a gripping story or memorable characters in my experience. I thought Starfield's main story was abysmal and most of the side stuff wasn't that engaging either.

Starfield highlights Bethesda's weaknesses all the more because it doesn't even deliver a compelling play area because the way the game is designed requires constant loading screens, which breaks any sense of immersion, and is set in a galaxy that is 98% boring cut and paste and procedurally generated content. The game is just deathly dull to play in my opinion and I don't expect any amount of DLC will ever make up for that. I have the Shattered Space installed on my PC as part of the original purchase but I just cannot bring myself to return to the game. I did manage 125+ hours but on reflection I am actually shocked that I played it for that long because only the first 20-25 hours was interesting then it started to feel like a chore to play.

Last edited:
Or a much more "Validating" take for you. If he really enjoyed the base game, then he's literally trolling since the DLC is a huge improvement over the base game in every way. Story, performance, handcrafted world, loading, atmosphere, etc.
Matty is pretty good on this stuff. I might still enjoy this DLC (I enjoyed the base game and haven't started on the DLC yet), but Matty taking a dump on it is worrisome for its quality.
so... this was supposed to be like Phantom Liberty kind of DLC? cuz it seems like a random update or sizable Mod. either way the buzz is meh about this thing
The marketing never made it feel like a Phantom Liberty style update.

Last edited:

Alebrije

It seems thesw days games just serve to give money to You tubers...as one said "I earned more money with My You tube videos about Concord than Sony.

And it's not You tubers problem the problem is that some Big videogames have lack of Quality specially on the writting side. This becomes worse when they Game is a single player story oriented one.

Bethesda probably didn’t fly him out to their studio and shower him with goodie bags.
He's had no problem being critical of Bethesda in the past.
but the shills sure did
I didn't see much of this at all. Phantom Liberty had lots of hype from a strong media push in comparison.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I am parked at Unity on my latest save. I am debating if I should circle back and play this DLC or just go ahead and jump through and level back up to it. Maybe it will be better optimized by the time I get there?

sainraja

Add the same loading time and Astro Bot will easily be a 60 hour game.
Not sure how or why Astrobot is coming up in this thread but my completion time for Astro is 29 hours (all bots - 301)—now I am just going back for the hidden trophies. So, unless you just do the bare minimum, there is a lot you can do in the game and If you just do the main missions then you can do that in 9-10 hrs but chances are, you are not going to want to stop there...

Regardless of why Astro is coming up, likely a "defensive" response, 15 hrs for an expansion is not short IMO.

Last edited:
Not really surprised. The base game shattered all my hopes that Bethesda will turn things around and become a good studio again.

Real shame. Oblivion was the game that got me into WRPGs....

Todd may as well just let everyone loose and let ChatGPT create their new games... because that's how their games feel already.

Nydius

I’m in the minority that I liked Starfield when it came out. I even, at the time, irrationally argued it should be a GOTY contender. I played through to New Game+4 before getting tired of it.

It wasn’t until after I put it down and played other games again that my opinion began to sour. I went back and tried to play again after the 60fps update and the space rover addition and just.. couldn’t. Compare that to Skyrim which I can still fire up and lose hours playing to this day.

I hoped this DLC would be more like that bespoke Skyrim magic but barely 2 and a half hours into playing it, I’m literally falling asleep in my chair. It’s so painfully bland. I’m glad I don't have to fast travel all over the galaxy and deal with endless load screens but that doesn’t fix the awful writing, the cardboard companions, the mediocre combat.

So yep, it’s “more of the same” Starfield.
In a bad way.

King Dazzar

Not that game length matters to much to me. But I often use How Long To Beat to gauge length. And its coming in at 5 to 7 hrs just for the main, without side stuff. Averaging at 6hrs so far.

My main concern is that on XSX its performance is being reported as worse than the main game. The only place I'm having any drops are in the big cities with the main game. And whilst VRR is doing a great job, I wouldn't want to be engaged in intense fire fights in those areas. Which so far is fine as I spend most of my action time else where. So if the DLC has a lot of areas like the problem areas in the main game, I can see that being disappointing.

Top Bottom