• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

kejigoto

Banned
My IGN review is written and in the editing process now. Look for it at midnight tonight if you're interested.

Thank you all for the kind words about our Let's Play videos!

Well I know what I'm doing tonight at midnight. Sitting on IGN hitting refresh.

The bits of music that I hear between the commentary sound great.
Jesper Kydd does great work.
I've spent many hours wandering the worlds of AC2, Borderlands 2 and Darksiders 2 basically zoning out to the soundtrack.

chris121580

My IGN review is written and in the editing process now. Look for it at midnight tonight if you're interested.

You guys did a fantastic job helping promote a great game that really has a chance to fly under the radar. I've really enjoyed your videos and thanks for turning me on to this game. I'll be buying it first thing tomorrow

Servbot24

Banned
Dat draw distance.

State-of-Decay-Watchtower.jpg

Depending if the PC version is not GFWL (and is good) i will get that.

See, that looks really icky to me. Looks like they just took a brush and popped up some hills in Unity. I'd rather them fog that garbage up.

Ryan_IGN

You guys did a fantastic job helping promote a great game that really has a chance to fly under the radar. I've really enjoyed your videos and thanks for turning me on to this game. I'll be buying it first thing tomorrow

That was the goal, much like with Mark of the Ninja last year.

I guess we're better at shining a light on Microsoft's good XBLA games than they are sometimes, eh? :)

Minsc

Gold Member
I'd be totally fine with the graphics if the game is smooth.

I hope the screen tearing/framerate are decent.

Pretty much all previews/reviews said it's not, earlier posts in this very thread commented on how apparent the tearing was, but maybe that was the live streaming.

Weird that there seems to be more game here for $20 than many games I've played of late for $60 (minus overblown and unnecessary Hollywood-esque sensational elements) . . .

Plissken

Weird that there seems to be more game here for $20 than many games I've played of late for $60 (minus overblown and unnecessary Hollywood-esque sensational elements) . . .

The last couple months have seen quite a few games with low prices, yet value equal to or greater than $60 games (CoJ: Gunslinger, FC3:Blood Dragon; now this). I hope this trend continues as we enter the twilight of this generation, maybe the "last hurrah's" of this generation will be games like these.

Hip Hop

Will definitely be on the lookout for some reviews. Seems interesting. It should be out sometime a little over midnight.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

Awesome, I'm looking forward to reading it. And thanks for the Let's Play videos. They certainly helped alleviate any worries I had with the game.

Oh man I only have 1600 points and I really wanted Call Of Juarez. But this looks more meaty a game. So hard!

Don't know much about Call of Juarez. But do you prefer the zombie genre or western genre? SoD is open world, with permadeath, an open world, base building and community management, 2 hour day-night cycle, survival elements, skills, etc.

Of course...I may be biased so...

Aspiring

Don't know much about Call of Juarez. But do you prefer the zombie genre or western genre? SoD is open world, with permadeath, an open world, base building and community management, 2 hour day-night cycle, survival elements, skills, etc.

Of course...I may be biased so...

I know I really enjoyed the trial for CoJ and really enjoyed the western feel.

However this game looks unreal and very meaty, plus open world zombie game!

I think I may take the plunge and go this game. Loved permadeath in X-com so will take a stab at it.

I know I really enjoyed the trial for CoJ and really enjoyed the western feel.

However this game looks unreal and very meaty, plus open world zombie game!

I think I may take the plunge and go this game. Loved permadeath in X-com so will take a stab at it.
SoD will have a trial too. It's basically the tutorial

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Oh man I only have 1600 points and I really wanted Call Of Juarez. But this looks more meaty a game. So hard!

I don't know enough about SoD to speak on it, but Call of Juarez was a ton of fun. Well worth the 1200.

Z0mbicide

Banned
I wonder if pulling vehicles in front of doors works like it does in the movies. It would be kind of fun to experiment with barricading yourself in various houses. I guess we'll all find out in a few hours.

Karak

I wonder if pulling vehicles in front of doors works like it does in the movies. It would be kind of fun to experiment with barricading yourself in various houses. I guess we'll all find out in a few hours.
Vehicles can block doors. You can also stage fast getaways by parking a car next to a porch and then leaping off the porch onto the hood when running from zombies. The most impressive bits to me are the myriad systems at play in the game.

Only review I've found so far

http://www.oxmonline.com/state-decay-review?page=0,1

+ Open world full of enticing structures and hidden loot; noise management adds lots of tension.

+ Appealing mix of stealth, melee, and ranged combat; weapons galore; base/character upgrades.

– Mediocre graphics; minimal story; permanence of death may bug some players.

? How come zombies can climb fences but not ladders?

Score: 8/10

Z0mbicide

Banned
It would be nice to see where they take the "lessons learned" from this release and apply it to the next phase. I'm also curious how the co-op mechanics would eventually work. Would it be more Dead Rising 2 style? 2 players? 4 players? PvP? Granted the MMO would have that and more, but I'd like to see a more narrow focused co-op experience for now. If Day Z was any indication, sometimes too many people just devolves into rampant social-Darwinists killing newbies ad nausum.

Vehicles can block doors. You can also stage fast getaways by parking a car next to a porch and then leaping off the porch onto the hood when running from zombies. The most impressive bits to me are the myriad systems at play in the game.

Z0mbicide

Banned
I'm working the night shift so I won't be able to check my dashboard til 7am, but usually XBLA games don't get released til around noon. -_-

I've got my eye on one of those police cruisers. I plan on having a nice impromptu parking garage in front of my base by the start of the game.

I can't sleep GAF! So excited.

Karak

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/state-of-decay-review

Rating 8.9
For many, State of Decay is the zombie game they’ve always wanted. It’s janky, but that’s highly forgivable in the end. RT
Ryan McCaffrey 5 Jun 2013
+
Balanced RPG resource management.
+
Pitch-perfect tone of terror and hopelessness.
+
Open-world possibilities are endless.
–
Technical shortcomings are annoying but never truly problematic.
–
Promising story falls a bit flat at the end.

Top Bottom