• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

ijrPTXWVccujF.gif

GoxRx

In case someone has not noticed, from the OXM review:

Don’t be afraid to complete State of Decay’s final mission. Even after the credits roll, you’ll still be able to continue from just before it starts, so your crew’s story need never truly end.

If someone already posted that sorry, I'm new here on GAF lol

moai

Don’t be afraid to complete State of Decay’s final mission. Even after the credits roll, you’ll still be able to continue from just before it starts, so your crew’s story need never truly end.

thanks.
the exact opposite was posted, so this is reassuring

Trigger

The devs said the exact opposite on the stream today.

Miscommunication? Maybe it simple means there is no playing the game after the final story mission. Though upon reloading the game, your set right before the final mission, leting you do whatever you want till you activate that final mission again? Maybe?

Karak

Righto.
They have made it fairly clear that you can't. So as Slasher said its a reload of the mission. Which makes sense as it saves before each one.

Regardless actually as it accomplishes the same thing.

Welcome by the way!

Ryan_IGN

Damn, hype is through the roof! Great video Ryan!

Thanks, appreciate the kind words!

I just finished the game not 10 minutes ago. Will have the IGN review up on Wednesday. In the meantime, we have 2 more Let's Play episodes. One tomorrow at 12:30pm, and the fifth and final episode on Wednesday at 12:30pm...though I suspect you guys might be busy actually playing the game at that point. :)

I just finished the game not 10 minutes ago. Will have the IGN review up on Wednesday. In the meantime, we have 2 more Let's Play episodes. One tomorrow at 12:30pm, and the fifth and final episode on Wednesday at 12:30pm...though I suspect you guys might be busy actually playing the game at that point. :)
Are you able to provide any kind of minimal impressions?

----
To anyone concerned about visuals and animations, remember that this is just an XBLA game. If you're expecting like Naughty Dog level of graphics or animations or Euphoria physics, then your expections are too high

But remember this is just an XBLA game...with a 16 square KM open world, 99% interiors, tons of variables like personalities, skills, 90+ weapons, NPCs that can go insane or commit suicide or just refuse your orders and leave if you're not a good leader. It's really really ambitious and there's a limit to how much data an XBLA game can have.

Have they hinted that is even possible?
Yes that's their plan. If sales are good, their first post launch goal is to add online coop.

If the game is a success, they also plan to start working on "Class 4", the bigger MMO version of State of Decay

(Jeff Strain, the founder of Undead Labs, was the lead programmer of World of Warcraft)

Plissken

Great news and congrats on passing cert your first pass! Going to buy 1600 spacebucks tonight, looking forward to spending Wednesday night killing zombies.

Orca

Did you max out your sexting?

smr00

Banned
I would be surprised it came out this year. I would guess next year at the earliest.
If it came out next year i wouldn't even bother with it.

Day Z stand alone hits early access this month and probably full release by the end of the year. Once that hits i won't have a need for a mediocre version of day z. Not to mention no day 1 coop? Get your shit together MS.

I would like Day Z if it wasn't on the fucking Arma 2 engine, everything about that engine is just ...ugh. Look forward to this, and project zomboid tho.

Day Z stand alone hits early access this month and probably full release by the end of the year. Once that hits i won't have a need for a mediocre version of day z. Not to mention no day 1 coop? Get your shit together MS.

This is a totally different type of game than Day Z though. This game is much more about the simulation. You get to go out and find a base, organize people to join you, have them help you create different parts of your base depending on what you need at the time, manage the NPC's so they still like you and believe in your cause, negotiate with other survivor groups, and there's also missions you can run. Day Z is much more focused on emergent gameplay between survivors on a server because it's all multiplayer. It doesn't have NPC's, actual base building (yes, you can build fences and tents, but you can't build watchtowers, hospitals, etc). I'm a big fan of Day Z, and I'm going to be there day one for its retail release, and that won't stop me from being excited or getting this game day one either.

tl;dr They're both unique games with their own goals.

mujun

This is a totally different type of game than Day Z though. This game is much more about the simulation. You get to go out and find a base, organize people to join you, have them help you create different parts of your base depending on what you need at the time, manage the NPC's so they still like you and believe in your cause, negotiate with other survivor groups, and there's also missions you can run. Day Z is much more focused on emergent gameplay between survivors on a server because it's all multiplayer. It doesn't have NPC's, actual base building (yes, you can build fences and tents, but you can't build watchtowers, hospitals, etc). I'm a big fan of Day Z, and I'm going to be there day one for its retail release, and that won't stop me from being excited or getting this game day one either.

tl;dr They're both unique games with their own goals.

Good summary, I think it'll be wasted though as smr00 seems to just want to complain rather than having a legitimate complaint.

Comparing it to Day Z despite the fact that beyond the zombies it is a totally different type of game.

derFeef

But DayZ is boring and reliant on multiplayer, it just falls flat alone.

DayZ stand alone hits early access this month and probably full release by the end of the year. Once that hits i won't have a need for a mediocre version of day z. Not to mention no day 1 coop? Get your shit together MS.

DayZ is just a multiplayer experience with no mission objectives, you're running around the game hunting for beans and pepsi while avoiding danger like cheaters lol its not my idea of a fun time. the engine is still a huge piece of shit regardless of how many improvements that they make... they need to concentrate on creating a new engine using some of the money that they have made with Day Z mod, ARMA 2 and ARMA 3

DayZ standalone Alpha leaked screenshot
vre6oo2hl3euo.jpg

game play video of the DayZ standalone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=J_JxOkT-v1E

For example American Nightmare came out three months later on PC, published by Remedy themselves.

Ah, fair enough. I guess it depends on if this studio is big enough to self publish otherwise PC owners might be in for a long wait.

So this is confirmed right? It's not a mistake or anything because the exact opposite was stated on the previous page.

Brilliant news if it's accurate.

Only one day left y'all.

D2q0bOd.gif

Watched the 3rd part of IGN's stream. I was really impressed with how the zombies started to swarm, and the death of the guy's character was hilarious. In most games you would just heal and move on so that was totally unexpected

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Yes that's their plan. If sales are good, their first post launch goal is to add online coop.

If the game is a success, they also plan to start working on "Class 4", the bigger MMO version of State of Decay

(Jeff Strain, the founder of Undead Labs, was the lead programmer of World of Warcraft)

and guild wars

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Probably won't be able to play it till late on Wednesday, will have to get the download started in the morning though.

I had ignored it thinking it was coop. Coop games sound great in theory. I don't know how many coop focused games I've picked up thinking that magic time when someone else is available and in the mood to play it is going to happen this time. Monster Hunter is the only one that works out.

Zoctan

The third IGN video was great. There was a sense of urgency when he got surrounded and had to bail, and his character's unexpected death was hilarious. I was glad he couldn't just heal through it and move on.

Karak

I had ignored it thinking it was coop. Coop games sound great in theory. I don't know how many coop focused games I've picked up thinking that magic time when someone else is available and in the mood to play it is going to happen this time. Monster Hunter is the only one that works out.

This game may change some minds on what NEEDS co-op. I can see the desire but this game has a ton going for it already.

Dabanton

Oh ok, looks like I won't be getting it then. A game like this in this day and age I can't believe its not coop. No buy. It would have worked brilliantly and its a no brainer to have included it.

iirc they were talking about patching in co-op.

If the game is successful enough.

Oh ok, looks like I won't be getting it then. A game like this in this day and age I can't believe its not coop. No buy. It would have worked brilliantly and its a no brainer to have included it.
If the game sells well, their first post launch goal is implementing online coop. And if the game is a success, the team can start working on "Class4", the larger MMO version of State of Decay

Persona86

Banned

I might check it out too, but I agree with the coop, it would make it so much more fun.

If the MMO comes to fruition, I really hope it'll show up on consoles. I have 2 groups of friends that I play games with, one on Xbox and one on PC. The xbox group will probably all be getting SoD, but then won't be able to play the MMO together if it's PC only.

Regardless, I'm super excited about tomorrow!

Top Bottom