• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

deuce985

Banned
Anyone have an eta on PC release date? Have they said anything? I'm hoping by October. I hope if they do add co-op to 360 version the PC gets it too.

Looks like a really fun game but definitely janky. One of those games with a lot of technical problems but you don't care because it's so fun.

This game is amazing, really loving it and makes you think on what tactics you want to use just to move around town. Loving every second of it, still hoping for the coop patch down the road, game is really asking for it.

I'm about 5/6 hours into it now and still fannying around the same area. Love this game.

Same. I'm in the town around the church, about 7 hours in, and still don't think I've explored everything. The wonders of 95% interiors.

And I still want to go back and explore that large area between the camp site and the church base. I just drove through it to get to the first base.

The best part are the events that keep popping up. Survivors in need, groups who want to trade, hordes, infestations...all in this one area and it still hasn't gotten old.

Why are you loling at me :'(

iXXkt7Z0Da1OE.gif

Same. I'm in the town around the church, about 7 hours in, and still don't think I've explored everything. The wonders of 95% interiors.

And I still want to go back and explore that large area between the camp site and the church base. I just drove through it to get to the first base.

The best part are the events that keep popping up. Survivors in need, groups who want to trade, hordes, infestations...all in this one area and it still hasn't gotten old.

I know! It's great.

I drove straight through that area as well but I'm not sure there's much there.

Mindlog

Lots of positive reaction is good to hear. Will pick it up and get some times in before my copy of TLoU arrives. Hopefully we'll get more Walkding Dead Season 2 teasers as well. I'm not a zombie fan, but these are promising games.

Do you lose all of your improvements on your base when you move it? I kinda used a lot of materials already :S
Want to know this too. I want to move my base from the church to the gated house in town.
---

And is anyone else having this problem?
You know, how when you want to assign a melee specialization, you scroll past the weapon specializations? Well in that menu, I can't go past the weapon specializations. I was able to do it for Mara. But for my other characters who are leveled up enough, I can't do it. Am I missing a step or something?

DatDude

Banned
I can safely say after spending the whole day with this...that this is the type of zombie game I've always wanted to play/make.

There's a shit ton of jank, but god damn if this isn't the most fun I've had with a video game in ages.

Funny but games this big often ARE troubling for both the PS3 and the Xbox and I am not sure why. But this one so far hasn't had any of those reports I have heard.

Re-download finished and I've been able to play the last 30 minutes with no problem, thanks! Really liking it so far.

Anyone else NOT using guns? I've used one only once, a shotgun. Unfortunately, many zombies appeared on the scene shortly after.

Well, guns are great ways to get swarmed but the real reason why I'm not using guns that much is because I love the melee combat. It never gets old

It remind me of Dark Souls. You only have a few moves but time everything right and don't button mash and those few moves go a long way. I always feel like a badass

Sprint in, drop kick, finisher, shove some zombies away, dodge and counter a third, roll behind the group, kick a few back for breathing room, finish off some more, and save the badass jump attack for the last one.

Of course when you're low on stamina and have no painkillers left, all that stuff goes out the window and only desperation remains. Which is great

So according to the devs, the leaderboards are an accurate way of seeing how many sales so far

And right now...it's at 112,000.

To put that in perspective, Trials Evolution broke the record for day one sales with over 100,000 sales before being dethroned by Minecraft.

Now personally I don't want to include Minecraft because it already had such a massive fanbase before coming to XBLA so it's really not comparable.

State of Decay still has another seven hours before its release day is over. So technically, SoD has the second highest day-one sales. And if we're not including MC and only talking about original IPs, it's the game to beat in that category

Let's see if they make good on the co-op or if it's all hot air. Far as I know, it's usually difficult to implement that type of networking into a game not designed with it from the ground up.

With these numbers, they shouldn't have an excuse with the sales end of everything.

Karak

Let's see if they make good on the co-op or if it's all hot air. Far as I know, it's usually difficult to implement that type of networking into a game not designed with it from the ground up.

With these numbers, they shouldn't have an excuse with the sales end of everything.

Well the taunt, cheer and other things you can do don't make a whole lot of sense in the game that is single player. So it looks like they have some of it in there already.

Trigger

Anyone else NOT using guns? I've used one only once, a shotgun. Unfortunately, many zombies appeared on the scene shortly after.

I like all the survivors I use so I'm far too nervous to use a gun and attract a horde. I save them for absolute emergencies.

Anyone else having this problem?
You know, how when you want to assign a melee specialization, you scroll past the weapon specializations? Well in that menu, I can't go past the weapon specializations. I was able to do it for Mara. But for my other characters who are leveled up enough, I can't do it. Am I missing a step or something?

---
Have an unusual scenario.
You know in the town by the church, there's a house that can used as a base. But in my save, there are already survivors in that house. My trust level with them is only about halfway so they won't come to my base yet. As I've searched this house, I only have the option to turn it into an outpost.

Another thing: supply lockers are only supposed to be in your bases and outposts right? Cause I've seen them in other buildiings too, ones with survivors in them. Like in my situation above, there's a supply locker in the house but it's neither an outpost nor a base

Karak

Anyone else having this problem?

---
Have an unusual scenario.
You know in the town by the church, there's a house that can used as a base. But in my save, there are already survivors in that house. My trust level with them is only about halfway so they won't come to my base yet. As I've searched this house, I only have the option to turn it into an outpost.

Another thing: supply lockers are only supposed to be in your bases and outposts right? Cause I've seen them in other buildiings too, ones with survivors in them. Like in my situation above, there's a supply locker in the house but it's neither an outpost nor a base

I can only assume maybe they can't have those specilizations...or something. But the game seems "fairly" bug free in that aspect so I am assuming there is something missing in the prerequisites.

As for the town stuff. That is all exactly as it is supposed to be including the many trunks in different survivor nests.

I can only assume maybe they can't have those specilizations...or something. But the game seems "fairly" bug free in that aspect so I am assuming there is something missing in the prerequisites.

As for the town stuff. That is all exactly as it is supposed to be including the many trunks in different survivor nests.

What other prerequisites are there? I can't remember what lead up to me upgrading Mara but I know if I got to the character menu, under fighting for a character or two, the Melee Specialization is highlighted and I sure I haven't chosen a weapon specialization yet.

---
About lockers: ok, good. I was hoping it wasn't some weird glitch?

Karak

What other prerequisites are there? I can't remember what lead up to me upgrading Mara but I know if I got to the character menu, under fighting for a character or two, the Melee Specialization is highlighted and I sure I haven't chosen a weapon specialization yet.

---
About lockers: ok, good. I was hoping it wasn't some weird glitch?

I am not playing right now but you have to raise things like melee to upgrade melee. YOu have to search a lot to upgrade that skill to get that specilization. and so forth. Otherwise just not sure.

Absolutely love it.

For those with a capable PC, I would recommend waiting for that version (if they decide to do so). The tearing and framerate can get pretty bad.

Alchemy

How the fuck did this sell so much? I didn't even know about it before last week or so.

Because there are a lot of smart gamers now that research products and release dates. Just not in the numbers to turn out $1 billion+ in sales, but enough for profitable games when companies don't inflate their projects too much.

I am not playing right now but you have to raise things like melee to upgrade melee. YOu have to search a lot to upgrade that skill to get that specilization. and so forth. Otherwise just not sure.
Thanks. I re-check.
----

So anyone have favorite "oh shit" moments to share? Or their favorite badass moments?

Oh Shit: I was playing as Marcus. I'm in town, should have been paying attention to the minimap. I jump through a window. Horde Alerted pops up. So I start running through the house to get outside when I see the horde outside, in front of me, rushing towards the house. So I do a 180, head the other way as I hear all the front windows shatter as the entire horde enters the house.

Did I mention I was tired, and low on stamina and health.? So now more zombies are coming in front of me and the horde is literally right behind me. I'm climbing over fences, trying to get away, getting grabbed and barely shaking loose in time. With a sliver of health left, I finally see the church up ahead. I make it inside the gates...and now the horde is outside my front gate
-
Badass: no one in particular. Anytime I own in melee combat without getting touched (love the combat in this game). And powersliding into a horde with the door open never gets old

I haven't been able to put this game down for 8 hours.
So addicting, exactly what I've been needing.

Terrific that the game is selling like hotcakes.
Can't wait to see what Undead Labs is doing with the MMO sequel, esp on PC/next gen consoles.

Edit: Ha, I've killed 1,000 zombies already!

sagat2036

How bad is the frame rate?

I skipped Dragons Dogma cause it was unacceptable to me. This game wasnt on my radar till the GB QL.

Because there are a lot of smart gamers now that research products and release dates. Just not in the numbers to turn out $1 billion+ in sales, but enough for profitable games when companies don't inflate their projects too much.

Well, it's also a zombie game. Those tend to do well on the appropriate consoles. Dead Island wasn't that great and sold really, really well.

Karak

-
Badass: no one in particular. Anytime I own in melee combat without getting touched (love the combat in this game). And powersliding into a horde with the door open never gets old

I admit I adore driving up slow so that the car is COVERED in zombies and then driving into the forest and scraping them off on the trees. Or parking on a still living zombie.

I did have one cool moment of jumping out of a barns attic onto a truck hood and then leaping and almost instant special attacking an enemy.

Alchemy

Well, it's also a zombie game. Those tend to do well on the appropriate consoles. Dead Island wasn't that great and sold really, really well.

I think there is a lot of desire for a quality open world zombie game, Dead Island certainly looked promising. Well researched doesn't necessarily means 'read all the reviews', but they knew enough about the proposed mechanics that they wanted to buy the game. State of Decay certainly looked the part (and it turns out plays it as well).

Karak

I think there is a lot of desire for a quality open world zombie game, Dead Island certainly looked promising. Well researched doesn't necessarily means 'read all the reviews', but they knew enough about the proposed mechanics that they wanted to buy the game. State of Decay certainly looked the part (and it turns out plays it as well).

Ya Dead Island got the looks and I enjoyed it but State of Decay is seriously next level gameplay.

I admit I adore driving up slow so that the car is COVERED in zombies and then driving into the forest and scraping them off on the trees. Or parking on a still living zombie.

I did have one cool moment of jumping out of a barns attic onto a truck hood and then leaping and almost instant special attacking an enemy.
I know it's like playing the console version of Zombie Highway!

Oh, and as the IGN Let's Play repeatedly pointed out, jumping through windows never gets old. It's reckless and loud but damn is it satisfying to flee a hopeless fight by crashing through the glass and sprinting away.
---

Most satisfying way to kill a zombie? Finisher, double team (partner grabs, you decapitate), car, guns, etc.? I love when my dropkick explodes a zombie's head. And the jump attack, especially with a hatchet or machete, is just badass

Karak

I know it's like playing the console version of Zombie Highway!

Oh, and as the IGN Let's Play repeatedly pointed out, jumping through windows never gets old. It's reckless and loud but damn is it satisfying to flee a hopeless fight by crashing through the glass and sprinting away.
---

Most satisfying way to kill a zombie? Finisher, double team (partner grabs, you decapitate), car, guns, etc.? I love when my dropkick explodes a zombie's head. And the jump attack, especially with a hatchet or machete, is just badass

I personally love the sweep kick. I can knock down four zombies with it, then leap INTO the house through a window and then pickle them as they try to all mindlessly get into the house. Ya there is so many ways to play it. Its insane.

Top Bottom