• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

HNNNG I need this game so bad! But I need to get a job first :( Unless my wife buys me MSpoints for Father's Day...hmm.

Glad to hear it sold well, definitely hope they do a co-op patch/DLC. I know a few friends who would buy this if it had co-op. Interested to hear how dynamic it is between different playthroughs.

Its almost never the same game. Its crazy.
There was nobody to tell about the game hahahaha
That's great. I really wanted this game to succeed

Not just because I always, always wanted a realistic open world zombie survival game. If you were part of the Undead Labs forums, I don't think there has ever been more honest, down-to-earth, community-friendly devs around. They worked hard and it was clear this game was a labor of love.

The game was so ambitious I was hesitant to get hyped, because really how often to use big promises get fulfilled? But they were confident about their product, they never hid anything, and in the end, my expectations were blown away
---

Oh, and if anyone here really loves the game, I do suggest joining the Undead Labs forums. I'm absolutely serious: it's the best forum I've ever been a part of. No trolls, no stupid hateful comments, everyone is personable and respectful and it's possible to have intelligent conversations. It really is a great community

So make sure even if your in your home base perimeter, PAUSE the game. Not just leave it on the inventory screen. I came back to a new survivor in camp and my previous character dead somehow (first one I've had die in like 10 hours or so). The sad thing is I don't even know how it happened. Now I lost all that stuff. :( I looked to see if I now had the achievement for zombies killing me, and I don't have it. So I'm totally confused how it even happened in the 5 minutes I was away.

delume

The ad for SoD has been removed of the New Zealand's dashboard after popping up there about midday. Rumour has it something has gone awry during the Australian classification process. Any Aussie GAF members downloaded a copy from their store yet? Quite a frustrating wait.

RustyO

The ad for SoD has been removed of the New Zealand's dashboard after popping up there about midday. Rumour has it something has gone awry during the Australian classification process. Any Aussie GAF members downloaded a copy from their store yet? Quite a frustrating wait.

Not available yet. Just the ads on the dashboard / searching in the store.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got to play the game. Loving it so far. Lots to take in off the start. Only thing I'm worried about is taking my time and having my resources dwindle.

DarkStar

It was up in the Netherlands yesterday.
I played a little (1 hour or so), absolutely love this game!
Talking about bang for your buck!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, just checked and this is at ~128K. Less than 24 hours, for a $20 game of all things, seems insane. Great to see.

Also, props to MS for having a big spot for the game right on startup all day.

So I've been up since just after 5am. Got quite a bit done, which I'm very proud of. Rescued a few survivors, helped them to loot surrounding areas, saved Jill's brother and most importantly....

AVENGED MAYA'S DEATH.

Man, delivering the death blow to the feral was so damn satisfying. So damn satisfying. Afterwards, found Maya's body, took a knee and told her bloodied and torn apart carcass that she has been avenged. Didn't feel right to take the loot, but I suspect I'll be regretting that decision soon enough as she was packing some serious fire-power...

Oh and I'm not ashamed to admit this, but after learning the game world continues even after you turn it off, I decided to boot up the game and leave it on pause overnight.

I ain't even embarrassed. Nothing is happening to the game world without my say so, although admittedly I can't keep doing that, so I've turned it off for now and will come back to in about an hour and see what's gone down.

My love for this game just grows by the minute.

Neverfade

Is there another location I can move to that has more spots to build? I have several more upgrades to complete and nowhere to build them. What do?

Bsigg12

So I've been up since just after 5am. Got quite a bit done, which I'm very proud of. Rescued a few survivors, helped them to loot surrounding areas, saved Jill's brother and most importantly....

AVENGED MAYA'S DEATH.

Man, delivering the death blow to the feral was so damn satisfying. So damn satisfying. Afterwards, found Maya's body, took a knee and told her bloodied and torn apart carcass that she has been avenged. Didn't feel right to take the loot, but I suspect I'll be regretting that decision soon enough as she was packing some serious fire-power...

Oh and I'm not ashamed to admit this, but after learning the game world continues even after you turn it off, I decided to boot up the game and leave it on pause overnight.

I ain't even embarrassed. Nothing is happening to the game world without my say so, although admittedly I can't keep doing that, so I've turned it off for now and will come back to in about an hour and see what's gone down.

My love for this game just grows by the minute.

God fucking damn it. I sure as hell hope my base doesn't have something stupid happen. Also, I lost Marcus to the feral on my way to the very first tower, it was a very WTF! moment.

SystemBug

This game is sounding really impressive. I was always interested in it so it's nice to see that it lives up to it's promises. Going to give it a whirl tomorrow night

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Put 5 hours into it today -- only complaint is the obese zombies that take a bit a fun out of bashing zombies and automatically puts players on the run, even when they are in a car. Tried ramming on at least three times in a row with a truck with full speed and did little to no damage. The obese zombies need to be nerfed. They soak up almost all of the ammo and take too much damage to occupy the player's time.

Worst scenario was the
Wilkerson's house fortifying mission to protect the doctor.
Outside of that, I adore this game.

still no german release ..this is getting annoying

I think you'll have to migrate your account to Austria to download it. Pretty sure that's what ekim did to be able to download it.

It really does suck that MS weren't able to get it out in all regions/countries the same day, they've been lacking in that department somewhat recently. Not sure what the problem is, but I hope they get it sorted and soon.

Wow, just checked and this is at ~128K. Less than 24 hours, for a $20 game of all things, seems insane. Great to see.

Also, props to MS for having a big spot for the game right on startup all day.

I haven't checked the leaderboards since last night, but that's pretty damn incredible. Really hope that's sales and the trial edition isn't lumped in with it.

Have the developers said anything about sales beyond the 33k figure?

Oh wow, I just noticed I got my first tag and it's an absolute doozy. I still 100% stand by all those comments made in that post. Great wordplay by whoever did it.

God fucking damn it. I sure as hell hope my base doesn't have something stupid happen. Also, I lost Marcus to the feral on my way to the very first tower, it was a very WTF! moment.

From what I've read the impact can be from minor as lost morale to as major as a survivor dying as he/she is out on patrol/looking for supplies.

And yeah, those goddamn ferals. I didn't think the game could ramp up the tension any more and then suddenly these bastards are crawling out of the woodwork. The screamers are bad enough, but these dicks are on a whole other level.

Pop

The is an amazing game. I'm having a blast still after 5+ hrs straight, I can't seem to put this game down. It's addicting.

This is what I have always wanted in a zombie game. Loving the melee combat a lot. I'm looking forward to their MMO.

Put 5 hours into it today -- only complaint is the obese zombies that take a bit a fun out of bashing zombies and automatically puts players on the run, even when they are in a car. Tried ramming on at least three times in a row with a truck with full speed and did little to no damage. The obese zombies need to be nerfed. They soak up almost all of the ammo and take too much damage to occupy the player's time.

Worst scenario was the
Wilkerson's house fortifying mission to protect the doctor.
Outside of that, I adore this game.
I haven't encounter one in the wilderness yet, maybe he's more of a threat in that situation, but in the mission you mentioned, I shot him a few times in the head with a rifle, then threw a fire bomb at him and he was done, wasn't too hard.

This bit from the Polygon review:
I didn't know that State of Decay's world continued when I exited the game until I came back the next day to find morale low and one of my survivors dead.

Is this true? I haven't turned on the game since yesterday, just want to prepare myself for worst case scenario.

bidguy

Banned
I think you'll have to migrate your account to Austria to download it. Pretty sure that's what ekim did to be able to download it.

yeah but i cant migrate it back to germany again for 6 months. god titles have region locks and ip checks so i wouldnt be able to buy games for that time.

i think ill wait a week.

derFeef

yeah but i cant migrate it back to germany again for 6 months. god titles have region locks and ip checks so i wouldnt be able to buy games for that time.

i think ill wait a week.

Come over here, where it's more green... and there are no dumb laws that prevent you frm playing the games you want :)

The is an amazing game. I'm having a blast still after 5+ hrs straight, I can't seem to put this game down. It's addicting.

This is what I have always wanted in a zombie game. Loving the melee combat a lot. I'm looking forward to their MMO.

It really is addictive. Once it grabs you, it just refuses to let go. Even when you lose a beloved survivor and all you want to do is turn it off, it only sinks its hooks in deeper with promises of revenge and ensuring no-one else dies at the hands of the hordes.

The last game that grabbed me like this was Halo 2 MP. Such an incredible achievement by the developers.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I haven't encounter one in the wilderness yet, maybe he's more of a threat in that situation, but in the mission you mentioned, I shot him a few times in the head with a rifle, then threw a fire bomb at him and he was done, wasn't too hard.

This bit from the Polygon review:

Is this true? I haven't turned on the game since yesterday, just want to prepare myself for worst case scenario.

I threw three firebombs and emptied a shotgun twice (14 shots in total) against the bastard. Not much damage was done. Perhaps I've encountered a bug. Still doesn't explain when I met another fat zombie again and had my truck explode because of running into him.

Also, if I return to my game tomorrow and I'm missing survivors, I'll be disappointed. It'll only make me want to rush through the game so I'm not having everyone die on me in-game while I work and attend to real life.

Want... play... State of Decay .... must ... work... aaraghhh.

Don't worry, I'll play enough for the both of us...Oh damn, I just remembered I promised to meet someone at 2pm today. Do I blow it off?

Hmm, someone think of a plausible excuse, I'm coming up blank, all I can think about is what are the survivors doing now that the game's off.

i think ill wait a week.

Oh, completely forgot about the migration wait period. I suppose if you're willing,, you could set up a second account, migrate it to Austria and add 1600mps.

It's not ideal tho...

Well, guns are great ways to get swarmed but the real reason why I'm not using guns that much is because I love the melee combat. It never gets old

It remind me of Dark Souls. You only have a few moves but time everything right and don't button mash and those few moves go a long way. I always feel like a badass

Sprint in, drop kick, finisher, shove some zombies away, dodge and counter a third, roll behind the group, kick a few back for breathing room, finish off some more, and save the badass jump attack for the last one.

Of course when you're low on stamina and have no painkillers left, all that stuff goes out the window and only desperation remains. Which is great

That this game should invoke the spirit of Dark Souls, game of the forever, is testament to State of Decay's quality.

It is a little like DS in that the combat is deliberate and methodical, indeed.

I like all the survivors I use so I'm far too nervous to use a gun and attract a horde. I save them for absolute emergencies.

One of my survivors is a complete arsehole who I fully intend to parade infront of a horde today :mad:

Plasma

Banned
Had so much fun playing this last night, I didn't even do that many missions I just went around exploring picking up more supplies.

Does anyone know if the missions have a time limit to complete them? I have a mission on the other side of town that I've neglected to go to for awhile, just wondering if leaving it changes what happens.

I threw three firebombs and emptied a shotgun twice (14 shots in total) against the bastard. Not much damage was done. Perhaps I've encountered a bug. Still doesn't explain when I met another fat zombie again and had my truck explode because of running into him.
What character were you using? Perhaps it has some bearings on how effective you're using your firearms? I was in control of the
female soldier you met at the first area, she came equipped with a rifle and has higher shooting skills than other survivors
, I wonder if that's why I was able to kill the fat zombie much easier.

Does anyone know if the missions have a time limit to complete them? I have a mission on the other side of town that I've neglected to go to for awhile, just wondering if leaving it changes what happens.
Some of the repeating missions do have a time limit, like the Feral Zed Hunting ones, I ignored one and Lily radioed me and said "Well, looks like we missed an opportunity there." But the same mission quickly reappeared at another location.
Not sure about the plot missions. I always get them out of the way quick.

Thanks.

Q: I can't find the game! (Germany)

A: We're trying to find out what the heck happened. We were told we'd cleared the German review board and were GTG for today. Obviously something's gone wrong. Jeff's on it.

Edit to add: Okay. Jeff tracked it down. Microsoft tells us that the rating certificate was left out of the build...and without it, it cannot be sold in Germany. Our publisher is rushing a special build - exactly identical to the one out today, except WITH the rating - out to the Xbox. We don't have to go through the full certification process, thank goodness, but there is still some procedures that can't be rushed. I do not have an ETA beyond "worst case, middle of next week." Rest assured that if pointy sticks help, we will get it to you faster.

I am very sorry. I'm going to come up with some Germany-only launch party fun.

Q: I can't find the game! (Australia/New Zealand)

A: We did not hear a final go-ahead from your review board in time to make the launch. They asked us for some additional footage, which we submitted, but now we have to wait and see. Here is what will happen: We'll get a rating, and we'll add it to the next game update. We are working on the next game update right now! But, uh, the update has to go through certification. So I don't have a date. But we are really traumatized that we couldn't launch with you. I'm saving some game codes for you, and we'll have our own damned launch party JUST FOR YOU.

delume

The disappointment is pretty evident at Undead Labs end as well as from those gamers affected. I just downloaded the first episode of Walking Dead to tide me over (has it always been free?), then maybe the new Call of Juarez. I am interested enough to buy SoD when it does make it to NZ, just a shame to miss out on the communal exploring and hype-train. Have fun you lucky buggers! :)

The disappointment is pretty evident at Undead Labs end as well as from those gamers affected. I just downloaded the first episode of Walking Dead to tide me over (has it always been free?), then maybe the new Call of Juarez. I am interested enough to buy SoD when it does make it to NZ, just a shame to miss out on the communal exploring and hype-train. Have fun you lucky buggers! :)

Not always, but it's been a few times already.

CoJ is great, you won't be disappointed and I hope the ratings issue is sorted out as soon as possible. Everyone deserves to play this amazing game.

Orca

So who has died in your game and how? I had only one survivor bite it so far, but it was an important one - my paramedic Danica. Everyone else was tired or hurt so I took her on what was going to be a simple smash and grab supply run. While I was in the house a horde came by and trapped me inside. I fought for a while, then wound up throwing myself out the back window and making a run for it, trying to make it to a nearby car. Unfortunately she was dragged down and torn to bits :(

LiK

Watched GB Quick Look, I'll play it. I like that your AI buddies are actually helping you beat the shit outta the zombies,

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, I am now having one shitty start to my game, hahaha. I had to work 3-11 so I was messing with the trial beforehand, bought it when I left and didn't realize it basically didn't save until then, so I had to restart.

This time I already knew what I was doing but I had much better grabs, namely a revolver and a shotgun in a tent. I was also much slower somehow, and it was night when I got to the bridge cross, which is basically the end of the tutorial. Well, the first actual building you find is a large Warehouse. I went in last time and it had a ton of zombies, so I lured them out to run over with my car. I tried that again this time and right next to the door...well, I drove full speed at them and hit the gas cylinder which literally exploded my car and sent everyone flying out on fire. So I basically got BOMBARDED with "Trust lost, ON FUCKING FIRE" on top of still having to fight the horde of zombies. Cleared that up and now I have a -40% health penalty on Maya, Ed is even more fucked, and Marcus sprained something and screwed over his cardio. I didn't think that would actually react to my car.

I haven't even done anything yet!

Erekiddo

All of my characters are injured, even though I build a medic place and more sleeping quarters.

It's been an entire day and everyone is still hurt. Is my game glitched or am I playing this wrong?

This is the first open world game that's made me not want to use guns or drive cars. Although sometimes it is fun to get in a car and just drive around honking the horn until the streets fill with zombies, and then just mow them down.

Anyone has some info about the sales of the game? good start or not?

About 120k so far, and apparently that's with it not being made available in some pretty big regions.

Top Bottom