• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

I read somewhere this game has perma death like Spelunky? Is this for real? If I die will I have to start all the way from the beginning or just from last checkpoint?

This bit from the Polygon review:
I didn't know that State of Decay's world continued when I exited the game until I came back the next day to find morale low and one of my survivors dead.

Is this true? I haven't turned on the game since yesterday, just want to prepare myself for worst case scenario.
Well shit, I just tested it, switched on my game after 14 hours, didn't lose any survivors but I noticed I've lost a huge chunk of Morale, the bar was full when I switched off the game last night, now it's halved.

Could somebody please confirm this is happening to you as well?

I read somewhere this game has perma death like Spelunky? Is this for real? If I die will I have to start all the way from the beginning or just from last checkpoint?
If the character you're controlling is dead, he's dead for good. But you can keep playing with other survivors at the camp who you're friends with.

Jrs3000

Is there a way to give items a character is carrying to another that's with them? I hope there is, I picked up too much and have to make a trip to camp encumbered. Playing this so makes me wish the PC version was done already.

wrog

I played the demo, then bought full version straight away and started from scratch. This game is so addicting! I can't wait to play more after work today.

GlamFM

Banned
Never heard of this game until now. Watching the GB QL right now - looks fantastic!

Is it out (in Germany) yet?

EDIT: Meh...

Q: I can't find the game! (Germany)

A: We're trying to find out what the heck happened. We were told we'd cleared the German review board and were GTG for today. Obviously something's gone wrong. Jeff's on it.

Edit to add: Okay. Jeff tracked it down. Microsoft tells us that the rating certificate was left out of the build...and without it, it cannot be sold in Germany. Our publisher is rushing a special build - exactly identical to the one out today, except WITH the rating - out to the Xbox. We don't have to go through the full certification process, thank goodness, but there is still some procedures that can't be rushed. I do not have an ETA beyond "worst case, middle of next week." Rest assured that if pointy sticks help, we will get it to you faster.

I am very sorry. I'm going to come up with some Germany-only launch party fun.

C4Lukins

So we are at 24 hours now, and the leaderboard is at 132,000. I do not have my records for previous games first 24 hours anymore, but that is a big number. I think only maybe Minecraft and Castle Crashers put up superior numbers on the first day. Correct me if I am wrong.

And the weird angle on this game is that it is not a XBLA Summer gamer. It sort of came out of nowhere for a lot of us, and I tend to pay attention to these sort of things.

Just to mention a strange parallel. The retail version of Minecraft XBLA, which was just released, is number 2 behind Last of Us on Amazon.

Dabanton

First game in a long time that's made me forgot what time it was and go to bed very late.

The night time in this game is chilling. Getting out the car and listening to see if any zombies are in the area before proceeding to break into a store. Getting what you need and getting the hell out.

Don't think I've even began to scratch the surface of what this game is offering.

So we are at 24 hours now, and the leaderboard is at 132,000. I do not have my records for previous games first 24 hours anymore, but that is a big number. I think only maybe Minecraft and Castle Crashers put up superior numbers on the first day. Correct me if I am wrong.

And the weird angle on this game is that it is not a XBLA Summer gamer. It sort of came out of nowhere for a lot of us, and I tend to pay attention to these sort of things.

That's more than Terraria did, isn't it?

First game in a long time that's made me forgot what time it was and go to bed very late.
Agree. Can't remember the last time I don't want to put a game down, and I played most major releases day one. I think it's to do with how reaching the next house for more loot is always a challenge in itself, you can't just run around recklessly searching for every container like in other RPGs, you have to lay low, pay attention to your surroundings and proceed carefully, or the house will be a death trap by the time you reach it with all the zombies outside.

maximrace

So my wall is starting to break down at the church, how do you fix it? Got the message in my journal we can do it easy, good or fast; -10 resources, -1 morale.
But I don't find where to fix the damn thing

This game is so good. I know there are the two Walking Dead games, and I haven't played either one, but this game makes me feel like I am playing the TV series. I tried a little DayZ but didn't really get sucked into it like I am here already. I don't know how this is just a downloadable game, but it is really fun.

Leaderboards at 132,686 when I just checked. Keeps going up constantly.

Oh also regarding tearing and other issues, guess I haven't even noticed it if it exists, am just enjoying the gameplay too much. Only buggy thing I've seen so far is Zeds clipping through walls occasionally, but that doesn't bother me that much at all.

I can't believe I hadn't heard a single thing about this game until today when I checked this thread out.

So my wall is starting to break down at the church, how do you fix it? Got the message in my journal we can do it easy, good or fast; -10 resources, -1 morale.
But I don't find where to fix the damn thing

This game does a really poor job of explaining stuff - I know it's somewhat intentional, but it seems like fairly important mechanics/systems are looked over.

I bought it on my US account with US points from Amazon (which are FAR cheaper than points in Australia.. wtf). No issues.

Wow, State of Decay serving the tea. Good for Undead Labs, they deserve the success.

Now, where's Class 4...

Quick question man. Does it let you play on your australian account if you bought it from a US acct?

Add me to the list of the people addicted to State of Decay.
This game is awesome, a more gritty and realistic Dead Rising with some Jagged Alliance here and there.

I love the randomization, the open world, the night! Driving trough the night with a muscle car
in search of something usefull is fun as hell, that hell!

GlamFM

Banned
Add me to the list of the people addicted to State of Decay.
This game is awesome, a more gritty and realistic Dead Rising with some Jagged Alliance here and there.

I love the randomization, the open world, the night! Driving trough the night with a muscle car
in search of something usefull is fun as hell, that hell!

Shit! 20 mins ago I didn´t even know about this game and now I can´t wait to play it.

Unfortunately I still have some waiting to do since I live in Germany.. Fuck.

DeathOnALeash

Neo Member
Dammit, I lost Marcus on a scavenge run. Went to get his rucksack and there was his body, ripped in half. And yet the beer pong girl lives, shame.

Well, game's off and I'm out of the house. Pretty anxious that one of my survivors is going to die...

I'm more than a little surprised how much it's worrying me.

This game man. THIS GAME.

bidguy

Banned
Shit! 20 mins ago I didn´t even know about this game and now I can´t wait to play it.

Unfortunately I still have some waiting to do since I live in Germany.. Fuck.

im thinking about migrating to austria. i read that you can change it back to germany after 3 months have passed.

Feindflug

Well, game's off and I'm out of the house. Pretty anxious that one of my survivors is going to die...

Game sounds really interesting since I'm reading a lot of cool and different stories from people in various boards, I can't wait to check out the trial later today.

Also great to hear that this game is doing so well sales wise.

So I emailed Sanya (UL community manager) about the leaderboards and sales

Her response:
"Sales only. Can't be leaderboarded without a purchase"

So leaderboards numbers do represent number of sales and about 24 hours after release, that number was somewhere about 132,000

So second best day one sales in XBLA history confirmed

RustyO

So leaderboards numbers do represent number of sales and about 24 hours after release, that number was somewhere about 132,000

So second best day one sales in XBLA history confirmed

a) What was best? Minecraft?

b) Limited release seeing as a few countries (Germany, Australia and New Zealand at least) don't have it.

Not that I have it; just curious.

a) What was best? Minecraft?

b) Limited release seeing as a few countries (Germany, Australia and New Zealand at least) don't have it.

Not that I have it; just curious.
Yeah Minecraft is the best with 400,000 but that's like a totally unfair comparison IMO because it already had a huge pre-existing fan base before being ported, An under the radar game like SoD was never going to match those numbers

Before MC, if was Trials Evolution with something above 100,000 and even that was a sequel to a popular Summer of Arcade game

Since MC was a port and not an original XBLA game, I'd say State of Decay has the best day one sales for "real" XBLA games

Dabanton

Great news on the sales so far.

I can see this game is going to have very good word of mouth. The survival elements are like catnip to certain gamers. plus open world as well.

What I find fascinating is how many of my friends didn't know what this was until yesterday.

And you know what was even more important? That demo. That's probably got more people hooked than anything.

Wait, didn't someone post a quote from the devs saying your survivors don't die when your console is off?

It's just resting/healing happens, as well as any building jobs. I think your food goes down, too.

aku:jiki

Haha, fuck... I've been annoyed at the miniscule starting inventory for a good few hours now, so I was both overjoyed and annoyed to find a large backpack...100 stupid yards from home base. If anyone else wants to know, there's a little campsite hidden in the forest, in like an alcove in the mountain, where there's two large backpacks. It's just north of the church.

Also, has anyone found a use for the notes you can sometimes find? They're pretty rare, but I've found two and they're just collecting dust in my supply locker...

Wait, didn't someone post a quote from the devs saying your survivors don't die when your console is off?

It's just resting/healing happens, as well as any building jobs. I think your food goes down, too.
Yup. When I first booted today, nothing bad had happened but good stuff had. My guys were all healed and rested, all construction was done and some weapons were fixed, but my morale was still at 100% and I still had a ton of resources.

I'm pretty relieved. That sort of feature is cool in concept but terrible in practice, IMO. I need to eat, sleep, work and perhaps do other things than worry about my wall integrity in a game!

Haha, fuck... I've been annoyed at the miniscule starting inventory for a good few hours now, so I was both overjoyed and annoyed to find a large backpack...100 stupid yards from home base. If anyone else wants to know, there's a little campsite hidden in the forest, in like an alcove in the mountain, where there's two large backpacks. It's just north of the church.

Also, has anyone found a use for the notes you can sometimes find? They're pretty rare, but I've found two and they're just collecting dust in my supply locker...

Yup. When I first booted today, nothing bad had happened but good stuff had. My guys were all healed and rested, all construction was done and some weapons were fixed, but my morale was still at 100% and I still had a ton of resources.

I'm pretty relieved. That sort of feature is cool in concept but terrible in practice, IMO. I need to eat, sleep, work and perhaps do other things than worry about my wall integrity in a game!
But that was kind of the point. Imagine if this was a real apocalypse, you're the leader and you have to go on long venture. Your group is going to survive on its own without you and a good leader would make sure that his group is okay befor leaving.

And just like if it was real, shit happens (machete strike FTW!) even if their leader was gone.

I love this feature, makes it much more realistic and forces you to be involved in managing your community

So I've been up since just after 5am. Got quite a bit done, which I'm very proud of. Rescued a few survivors, helped them to loot surrounding areas, saved Jill's brother and most importantly....

AVENGED MAYA'S DEATH.

Man, delivering the death blow to the feral was so damn satisfying. So damn satisfying. Afterwards, found Maya's body, took a knee and told her bloodied and torn apart carcass that she has been avenged. Didn't feel right to take the loot, but I suspect I'll be regretting that decision soon enough as she was packing some serious fire-power...

Oh and I'm not ashamed to admit this, but after learning the game world continues even after you turn it off, I decided to boot up the game and leave it on pause overnight.

I ain't even embarrassed. Nothing is happening to the game world without my say so, although admittedly I can't keep doing that, so I've turned it off for now and will come back to in about an hour and see what's gone down.

My love for this game just grows by the minute.

I apparently ran into a feral zombie when I went to help out a random survivor that popped up on my map at the abandoned diner by the vet's office. Guy was getting torn apart some I busted through the door and started swinging, however a feral (which I had never seen before) was right there attacking as well. Managed to knock him out with a few swings and stomped on his head while the other guy dealt with the other zombies. Didn't seem too hard to kill but maybe because I was in tight quarters and was able to knock him down quickly. I didn't realize until after I killed him that it was a feral.

Ferals are the super-fast zombies, right? Got ambushed by one of those early on when I was trying to rescue a random survivor out in a graveyard. My hero of indeterminate ethnicity was brutally slain along with the survivor.

Ominym

Banned
Okay, how do I start a new homebase? This game keeps telling me to push up on the d-pad then never explaining how to do anything past that...

You need to be pushing down inside of the prospective base.

Also, one of my guys (Marcus) got a perk so now I can search things without making noise, and there's never any locked doors. Game changer.

Okay, how do I start a new homebase? This game keeps telling me to push up on the d-pad then never explaining how to do anything past that...
I was stuck on that for an hour too. The only answer I've been able to find is that you can't do it until you've done a story mission that teaches you how. (And after that, you press down on the d-pad, I think.)

You need to be pushing down inside of the prospective base.

Also, one of my guys (Marcus) got a perk so now I can search things without making noise, and there's never any locked doors. Game changer.
Game changer....if you're playing as Marcus. But if he's tired or hurt, got to be someone else. And remember if you're not keeping up morale, even then he won't be safe at your base

And now imagine how you'll feel if he dies

bidguy

Banned
does microsoft release arcade titles only wednesdays ? just wondering because i expect undead labs to deliever the game (germany) before next week. or at least i hope they do.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Just read through this board and it seems like this is more than worth a trial run. Are XBLA on a run or something? Blood Dragon, Gunslinger and now this.

A couple of questions:

1) A lot of talk about jankiness. I'm generally quite forgiving (I very much enjoyed New Vegas inspite of its buggishness) but exactly how janky are we talking here...? Does it affect the gameplay in a frustrating way?

2) If you were to draw comparisons with any other titles, what would they be?

C4Lukins

Just read through this board and it seems like this is more than worth a trial run. Are XBLA on a run or something? Blood Dragon, Gunslinger and now this.

A couple of questions:

1) A lot of talk about jankiness. I'm generally quite forgiving (I very much enjoyed New Vegas inspite of its buggishness) but exactly how janky are we talking here...? Does it affect the gameplay in a frustrating way?

It looks much better then you would expect an XBLA game to look. With that though, there are frame rate drops, some bad clipping and it does not have a great draw distance. None of it really affects gameplay though from my perspective.

If I would compare it to another game, ignoring technical problems, maybe it would be most similar to a third person Far Cry 3 with zombies.

Haha, I was out driving and exploring and I saw some wheels and other parts on the road and I was like "wtf kind of glitch is this?" and then I realized it was the landing gear from the plane that crashed a few miles away. That's awesome!

1) People are exaggerating like crazy, man. Or they're PC gamers not used to console gaming. IMO, it has a very typical amount of tech issues for a game of this scope and scale. Nothing to make you tear your hair out.

2) It is exactly the game we thought Dead Rising was going to be. Plays very, very similarly, but with a far larger world and just absurd amounts more depth to it.

Is there a clock in the game so I know how much longer until sunrise or sunset?
Got to the church and climbed the cell tower. About as far as I've gotten. Was overwhelmed by Zombies twice just getting there. Lucky to be alive. Hope I "get" this game soon so I'm not so overwhelmed as often.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It looks much better then you would expect an XBLA game to look. With that though, there are frame rate drops, some bad clipping and it does not have a great draw distance. None of it really affects gameplay though from my perspective.

If I would compare it to another game, ignoring technical problems, maybe it would be most similar to a third person Far Cry 3 with zombies.

Thanks! If I didn't like Far Cry 3 I would still get on with this right?

Haha, I was out driving and exploring and I saw some wheels and other parts on the road and I was like "wtf kind of glitch is this?" and then I realized it was the landing gear from the plane that crashed a few miles away. That's awesome!

1) People are exaggerating like crazy, man. Or they're PC gamers not used to console gaming. IMO, it has a very typical amount of tech issues for a game of this scope and scale. Nothing to make you tear your hair out.

2) It is exactly the game we thought Dead Rising was going to be. Plays very, very similarly, but with a far larger world and just absurd amounts more depth to it.

That's good to hear, I loved Dead Rising. Does that mean that there are a lot of improvised weaponary?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm stuck a work. :(

Daigoro

i cant believe that people are ok with how poorly this game runs. unless there is something wrong with the way the game installed for me, im finding this pretty unacceptable right now.

just got home and turned on the game and i had to take a break after playing for 5 minutes. the framerate and tearing are actually making me nauseous and that never happens.

the way this game chugs when you hop into a car is fucking bullshit.

i seriously cant think of a game that ive played this gen that runs this poorly.

Top Bottom