• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

C4Lukins

Thanks! If I didn't like Far Cry 3 I would still get on with this right?

(

Yeah I just compare it to Far Cry 3 in its open world nature. Somewhat limited ammo, a bit of crafting, taking over territories, leveling up your characters and such. It really is its own thing, but that was the closest game I could up with as a comparison.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
One thing I'm a bit confused about is putting weapons/equipment into the locker and removing them. At first it seems like you get more reputation for putting a weapon in than taking it out, but that isn't the case.

What I used to do was put all my stuff into the locker, switch characters, then take the stuff out of the locker. That isn't a good thing as it takes a bit of rep every time you do it. It seems like the game wants you to give weapons to your characters and have them stick with those weapons and not trade them out too much.

Unless I'm missing something?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I just compare it to Far Cry 3 in its open world nature. Somewhat limited ammo, a bit of crafting, taking over territories, leveling up your characters and such. It really is its own thing, but that was the closest game I could up with as a comparison.

I see. That sounds better. I found Far Cry 3 a little bit dull after the first hour.

Cheers for the answers!

JequalsJosh

Neo Member

I felt as though the gameplay mechanics resembled more closely to dead rising. Outside of the crafting aspects. Definitely its own game though. I played 6 hours of it yesterday and didn't want to set it down to sleep.

Thanks! If I didn't like Far Cry 3 I would still get on with this right?

That's good to hear, I loved Dead Rising. Does that mean that there are a lot of improvised weaponary?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm stuck a work. :(
Personally I wouldn't really compare it to Dead Rising. Except for the open world and zombies, they're nothing alike.

This is The Walking Dead game you always wanted. Not for the story but for the gameplay and atmosphere. Build a community, manage your survivors, make sure they're happy and have supplies to last because if morale is low, they will leave, taking supplies and maybe hurting othes in the process

There aren't improvised weapons like DR but there are a shitload of melee weapons, everything from a tree branch to a katana. And like 90+ guns. But you can't mow down hordes like in DR. You have to be smart and cautious cause in the right (wrong?) circumstance, even two or three zombies can kill you. The zombies here are dangerous, headshots only, and they will rip your favorite character in half if you aren't careful

The world is large and there is so much to explore and find thanks to every bullding having an interior, that I'm still in the first town after seven hours and still haven't seen everything.

Permadeath, RPG elements, randomized characters with stats that are influenced by their traits and personality, finite supplies, random Fate events like disease or power loss

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Personally I wouldn't really compare it to Dead Rising. Except for the open world and zombies, they're nothing alike.

This is The Walking Dead game you always wanted. Not for the story but for the gameplay and atmosphere. Build a community, manage your survivors, make sure they're happy and have supplies to last because if morale is low, they will leave, taking supplies and maybe hurting othes in the process

There aren't improvised weapons like DR but there are a shitload of melee weapons, everything from a tree branch to a katana. And like 90+ guns. But you can't mow down hordes like in DR. You have to be smart and cautious cause in the right (wrong?) circumstance, even two or three zombies can kill you. The zombies here are dangerous, headshots only, and they will rip your favorite character in half if you aren't careful

The world is large and there is so much to explore and find thanks to every bullding having an interior, that I'm still in the first town after seven hours and still haven't seen everything.

Permadeath, RPG elements, randomized characters with stats that are influenced by their traits and personality, finite supplies, random Fate events like disease or power loss

How did you know? :) That sounds excellent Badass. SOLD.

aku:jiki

Damn, I finally got to move and was pretty disappointed in my first new house... Really wish they would've thought to let you know what a potential base has to offer before you move there, in terms of built-in areas (the one I took came with a free workshop), build slots, outpost slots, etc. That's kinda important info and you just have to waste time and resources blindly on new houses.

Oh well, almost done with the first town! Gotta loot Mt. Tanner and a few more houses and I'll be ready to make the big move...

Is there a clock in the game so I know how much longer until sunrise or sunset?
Got to the church and climbed the cell tower. About as far as I've gotten. Was overwhelmed by Zombies twice just getting there. Lucky to be alive. Hope I "get" this game soon so I'm not so overwhelmed as often.
Don't worry, it gets quite a lot easier in an hour or two as long as you play smart. Don't overexert your characters (switch out when they're worn out), find more of them ASAP (like use your first 100 influence to have Lily find more, for example) and spend more time looting and clearing houses than doing story missions and you'll be set for smooth sailing.

Zombies will still come out of nowhere and fuck you up and the game doesn't turn into a cakewalk, but at least you're not constantly starving for food and ammo.

That's good to hear, I loved Dead Rising. Does that mean that there are a lot of improvised weaponary?
Er, no, improvised weaponry (and weapon crafting) is pretty much the only thing DR has that this doesn't.

ys45

Played for 2 hours yesterday , wow this game is freaking good .

I went at night to do some scavenging on nearby houses close to the base, i got into one house using stealth and saw some red zombie icon on my map so i checked it and it said nothing, then i check by the window i saw a pack of zombies on the street close to the house i was in and then another horde on the other street so i decided to stay in house and let them pass .

I went upstairs and checked a drawer but i guess i made too much noise i heard a zombie moaning, so i quickly hided on the other room across the one i was in the zombie came to investigate and i killed it silently (stealth take down) man this game is awesome this is the kind of moment you usually see in zombie movies .

I had a 2 questions :

1. Can you give items to other survivors when they are with you ?
2. Do survivor go out of the base to scavenge on their own ?

TeoLolstoi

Neo Member
i cant believe that people are ok with how poorly this game runs. unless there is something wrong with the way the game installed for me, im finding this pretty unacceptable right now.

just got home and turned on the game and i had to take a break after playing for 5 minutes. the framerate and tearing are actually making me nauseous and that never happens.

the way this game chugs when you hop into a car is fucking bullshit.

i seriously cant think of a game that ive played this gen that runs this poorly.

Really? I guess it kind of depends on your playstyle. For example I'm not really fond of driving, not because it's badly made, but because it makes a lot of noise. But I get it, if you're joyriding around with high speed the whole time, then I get it. The framerate while driving fast is bad. Still, I played around 5 hours straight without getting nauseated.

But still, you have to remember: this is an arcade game.

LowerLevel

Love this game so much. I'm dreading losing either of the two starting characters. I know I shouldn't get attached, but it's very hard not to... It's like Rebuild by Sarah Northway, but with actual gameplay! Really happy to hear about the sales as well. This, TLoU and DnD have my summer in the bag!

How did you know? :) That sounds excellent Badass. SOLD.
Oh and a 2-hour day-night cycle. Hour of day, hour of night. No weather unfortunately...but that puts GTA's 24 minute days to shame.

This is might not be a horror game per se, but at night, scavenging a dark building with only your flashlight for light, tired and with little health, maybe your melee weapons is broken and you only have a few billets left and a two hordes are outside...the tension is there

(A horde is only like eight-ten zombies but once I was careless, made too much noise, three nearby hordes bascially combined into like a super horde of 30+ zombies...)

Game changer....if you're playing as Marcus. But if he's tired or hurt, got to be someone else. And remember if you're not keeping up morale, even then he won't be safe at your base

And now imagine how you'll feel if he dies

God dammit you guys, stop making me worry. :(

When you hit up on the d-pad in your home after you've started the game back up you'll get some stats about what's been going on during your absence.

But if you pause to go type this up on a forum it goes away apparently. :\

I'm having a hard time finding rucksacks of food and material :/

Am I the only person who fights hordes exclusively with his car?

No
izSziA8gK4CK3.gif

I was actually thinking, if this game got the Walking Dead license (instead of Survival Instinct lol) it could have been huge. It would have made so much sense, too; more sense than an FPS did.

So my 3 playable survivors are all either wounded or tired. Can I convert current survivors into playable ones, if so how? Or do I just need to go out into the world and find more?

Also does each survivor level up separately or when I level up does that apply to all my survivors?

Love this game so much. I'm dreading losing either of the two starting characters. I know I shouldn't get attached, but it's very hard not to... It's like Rebuild by Sarah Northway, but with actual gameplay! Really happy to hear about the sales as well. This, TLoU and DnD have my summer in the bag!

interest rising

So how do you increase stockpile storage? Game doesn't make it clear. I have a workshop which is what I supposedly needed.
There's a specific, uh, thing you can build for that. I didn't notice it until I moved house (to Kirkman's residence just down the block from the church), so maybe it's not available in the church.

Nope, if my car is close-by and 5 of these fuckers show up, I'm getting in and running them over. Every time.

I'm having a hard time finding rucksacks of food and material :/[/IMG]
Remember that resources in this game are in places that make sense, for fucking once! So, for building material you want industrial shops (there's a large one between Mt. Tanner and the first town) or construction yards (there's like 5 of those in town). Food is in restaurants or grocery stores, and there's a bunch of both lining the outer rim of the first town.

Jrs3000

i cant believe that people are ok with how poorly this game runs. unless there is something wrong with the way the game installed for me, im finding this pretty unacceptable right now.

just got home and turned on the game and i had to take a break after playing for 5 minutes. the framerate and tearing are actually making me nauseous and that never happens.

i seriously cant think of a game that ive played this gen that runs this poorly.

Gameplay > performance

It's not that bad of a performance.

I'm having a hard time finding rucksacks of food and material :/

Go to your home map, go to the radio (Lilly). You can have her search for areas with specific supplies or look for more survivors
---

How do I do the double kill? It says Hold LB, then B but I can't do it.

Karak

Hell no. I do that all the time.

I now have my savegame at 88 hours. Last night I stayed up all night and played. This damn game somehow keeps surprising me with random moments like a moonlit sprint across the fields and into the trees running from 2 fat bastards only to find an old pickup truck. Slipped behind the wheel and turned that thing around. I was going to get vengenace for the cornhusker NPC that died by their hand.

I found the small cart ramp that is by some of the fences and aimed just right, sent the fucking truck flying and killed the fat bastard dead.

But just 1 of them. The other one flipped the truck with one hit and I rushed out. There was no where to go. A decision had to be made. I turned and began my attack.
I lasted about 12 seconds before he fucking bit me and tore me in half.

Now I am back to 1 survivor. Best game in the ever.

Pretty much RIP everyone.

So my 3 playable survivors are all either wounded or tired. Can I convert current survivors into playable ones, if so how? Or do I just need to go out into the world and find more?

Also does each survivor level up separately or when I level up does that apply to all my survivors?
You have to do missions for them and drop supplies off and they slowly become friends. Leveling up is just the person you are playing.

Remember that resources in this game are in places that make sense, for fucking once! So, for building material you want industrial shops (there's a large one between Mt. Tanner and the first town) or construction yards (there's like 5 of those in town). Food is in restaurants or grocery stores, and there's a bunch of both lining the outer rim of the first town.

Yeah, though every time I request Lily to show it on her map, I pick up the materials and it doesn't look like they're contributing to the 'bases' materials.

I'm seriously in two minds about this game - can't figure out whether I really enjoy it or whether it frustrates and bores me :/

I'm not seeing the tension that everyone is talking about at the moment - seems like it's just an endless wave of "go find missing survivor!" or "go help your ally!" quests, interspersed with repeated requests to go kill varying hordes of zombies.

I haven't even been scavenging that much yet I seem to have loads of stuff stockpiled, and the base management system seems to have been glossed over in the tutorial leading to frustration. At present there's not even a reason to go hunting for many things, because all that happens is stocks expire due to inadequate storage limits - the solution to which seems to be inaccessible.

I'm probably just going to crack on with the main story missions and see if the game gives me more of an incentive to explore. I have a few outposts but they don't seem to be offering any tangible benefit at the moment. The option to move house has been bought up a lot too, but again, I currently don't see a reason.

Sorry if these seems like a bit of rant, because on the whole I am enjoying the game - just feels like some of the ideas are half baked and consist of style over significant substance.

I set up a trade meet for medicine. Head to my supply locker to get ready and well shit, I only have 16 Influence

So I can only take two melee weapons and one painkiller. Get in the car with the other survivor, start driving to the exchange site. It's dark, I accidently alert two herds and then drive into a ditch

Now the car is stuck and we're on foot.

Well this is going to be stressful.

Karak

Yeah, though every time I request Lily to show it on her map, I pick up the materials and it doesn't look like they're contributing to the 'bases' materials.

And you are going back with the rucksack on your back and then when entering the base the rucksack disappears from your back? Thats how it is supposed to happen.

I'm seriously in two minds about this game - can't figure out whether I really enjoy it or whether it frustrates and bores me :/

I'm not seeing the tension that everyone is talking about at the moment - seems like it's just an endless wave of "go find missing survivor!" or "go help your ally!" quests, interspersed with repeated requests to go kill varying hordes of zombies.

I haven't even been scavenging that much yet I seem to have loads of stuff stockpiled, and the base management system seems to have been glossed over in the tutorial leading to frustration. At present there's not even a reason to go hunting for many things, because all that happens is stocks expire due to inadequate storage limits - the solution to which seems to be inaccessible.

I'm probably just going to crack on with the main story missions and see if the game gives me more of an incentive to explore. I have a few outposts but they don't seem to be offering any tangible benefit at the moment. The option to move house has been bought up a lot too, but again, I currently don't see a reason.

Sorry if these seems like a bit of rant, because on the whole I am enjoying the game - just feels like some of the ideas are half baked and consist of style over significant substance.

OMG I just held the left mouse button as if I was scanning for items in the game.

THIS GAME.

Where abouts are you up to?

And you are going back with the rucksack on your back and then when entering the base the rucksack disappears from your back? Thats how it is supposed to happen.

Yeah but I'm not even getting a rucksack even if I'm clearing out the place she's marking on the map. Very strange.

Also my weapons and accompanying sound effects are disappearing as I'm using them, lol.

Karak

Thats not a rant at all. Some games just don't work for some people and due to the randomness in the game I can see it being less than fitting many times. Those are totally valid things.

the base management system seems to have been glossed over in the tutorial leading to frustration.

I'm glad they didn't weigh down the beginning of the game with a lot of tutorial missions, but yeah, I do feel like they could've explained certain features of the game better before letting players loose.

Don't waste money having Lily search for them. Just go by what makes sense, like I said. Restaurants for food, etc. If you go to the Tartar Mart at the south edge of town, for example, it'll have multiple stockpiles of food. Go in there and search every cabinet or shelf or whatever until it either says "nothing left" or has icons (as opposed to question marks) in the top left corner. If you find resources in a cabinet, hold A on it to fill your rucksack. If there are more resources than you can carry, you can press Y and call for a runner to come pick up the rest. If you don't have any, you'll have to come back yourself.
The game lists any resources you've found in a location on the map, so I find it a good idea to map out what's available where rather than looting all of it ASAP.

Karak

Don't waste money having Lily search for them. Just go by what makes sense, like I said. Restaurants for food, etc. If you go to the Tartar Mart at the south edge of town, for example, it'll have multiple stockpiles of food. Go in there and search every cabinet or shelf or whatever until it either says "nothing left" or has icons (as opposed to question marks) in the top left corner. If you find resources in a cabinet, hold A on it to fill your rucksack. If there are more resources than you can carry, you can press Y and call for a runner to come pick up the rest. If you don't have any, you'll have to come back yourself.
The game lists any resources you've found in a location on the map, so I find it a good idea to map out what's available where rather than looting all of it ASAP.

Agreed especially at the starting of the game. But his issue is buglike. His are not showing up in the bases supplies when he returns.

I didn't even notice that was an option. Thank you!

Game sounds really interesting since I'm reading a lot of cool and different stories from people in various boards, I can't wait to check out the trial later today.

Also great to hear that this game is doing so well sales wise.

It really is great. This cannot be said enough. If you've ever wanted a true survival game set in post apocalyptic zombie world, this right here is it.

It's just amazing.

So I emailed Sanya (UL community manager) about the leaderboards and sales

Her response:
"Sales only. Can't be leaderboarded without a purchase"

So leaderboards numbers do represent number of sales and about 24 hours after release, that number was somewhere about 132,000

So second best day one sales in XBLA history confirmed

OH SHIT!

Absolutely deserved. I guess worries about the price were unfounded. If the game's good enough, it will attract people no matter the price.

Wait, didn't someone post a quote from the devs saying your survivors don't die when your console is off?

It's just resting/healing happens, as well as any building jobs. I think your food goes down, too.

Haha, fuck... I've been annoyed at the miniscule starting inventory for a good few hours now, so I was both overjoyed and annoyed to find a large backpack...100 stupid yards from home base. If anyone else wants to know, there's a little campsite hidden in the forest, in like an alcove in the mountain, where there's two large backpacks. It's just north of the church.

Also, has anyone found a use for the notes you can sometimes find? They're pretty rare, but I've found two and they're just collecting dust in my supply locker...

Notes? Tell me more. I was scavenging for hours and I haven't come across any.

And yeah, I found a larger backpack in the opening section, searching the camp grounds near the hut paid off...

I apparently ran into a feral zombie when I went to help out a random survivor that popped up on my map at the abandoned diner by the vet's office. Guy was getting torn apart some I busted through the door and started swinging, however a feral (which I had never seen before) was right there attacking as well. Managed to knock him out with a few swings and stomped on his head while the other guy dealt with the other zombies. Didn't seem too hard to kill but maybe because I was in tight quarters and was able to knock him down quickly. I didn't realize until after I killed him that it was a feral.

I imagine having them boxed would make them much easier to kill. They are fast bastards and damn strong too, if you come across in open quarters, run for your life, yo.

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Zaphod

This game looks awesome. How is the driving?

I plan on picking this up on PC but since it is out on the 360, is there a demo for it? If there is I'll have to dig the xbox out and hook it up to give it a spin.

I plan on picking this up on PC but since it is out on the 360, is there a demo for it? If there is I'll have to dig the xbox out and hook it up to give it a spin.

Of course, there's a demo for all XBLA games.

Karak

Ah ok thanks. How do I know if there's a mission they want me to do for them?

Basically the girl(Lily) may say something...like someone is pissed or angry at the base. Or if you go to the base there may be a small green blip in the base itself. Indicating a "Walk" mission. Those are missions where you take a base person with you do kill some bad guys.

Notes? Tell me more. I was scavenging for hours and I haven't come across any.

And yeah, I found a larger backpack in the opening section, searching the camp grounds near the hut paid off...
I wish I had more to say! The icon is like a bunch of papers stacked on each other and the description is something like "An envelope containing a red pen. Says 'for Anthony.'" or something to that effect. I guess I hold onto it and hope I find a guy named Anthony?

And yeah, camp sites are fucking great! I find some epic loot in those. I now have lots of large backpacks and I found this sweet ass shotgun that holds 15 rounds. It's actually a KSG-12, which is even more badass.

Karak

The developers understand reality very well. Those larger backpacks ARE at campsites and places where people would notoriously be using them. Very well done.

Additionally campgrounds and the woods are well many better guns are found and some of the nicer machetes.

Gameplay > performance

Ya totally, this game really does underline the gameplay > graphics point. Sure this game has its performance issues, but I'm amazed someone could be so sensitive to them that they actually feel sick.

Sent for a runner to pick up stuff, eventually he got a rucksack, but now he's just standing staring at a corner and I'm afraid to leave him. Marcus is my main character, so it'd kind of suck if he were to get offed by some glitchy stupidity.

Can't switch to him. Hopefully things will unbreak if I take Maya back to the church.

Gameplay > performance

It's tolerable when on foot, but get in a car and it's just rubbish.

Basically the girl(Lily) may say something...like someone is pissed or angry at the base. Or if you go to the base there may be a small green blip in the base itself. Indicating a "Walk" mission. Those are missions where you take a base person with you do kill some bad guys.
Oh OK thanks, I did one of those but I didn't see that guy being playable. I'll check again today.

It's decent. The physics gets a little funny at times, especially with collisions. I doubt there's going to be any situations where you need precision driving, though. You'll mainly use them to get from Point A to Point B, or to steamroll hordes of zombies while laughing like an idiot.

GeekyDad

Sold

Top Bottom