• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

I wish I had more to say! The icon is like a bunch of papers stacked on each other and the description is something like "An envelope containing a red pen. Says 'for Anthony.'" or something to that effect. I guess I hold onto it and hope I find a guy named Anthony?

And yeah, camp sites are fucking great! I find some epic loot in those. I now have lots of large backpacks and I found this sweet ass shotgun that holds 15 rounds. It's actually a KSG-12, which is even more badass.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be keeping an eye for them. I'd say hold onto it, you never know when an Anthony might pop up. Everything in the game serves a purpose, so I definitely think it'll come in useful later on.

Nice, I haven't found a shotty yet but I did find a very sweet revolver with 20 bullets. Haven't used it yet due to fear of alerting the horde, but it will be put to use if I come across another feral.

The developers understand reality very well. Those larger backpacks ARE at campsites and places where people would notoriously be using them. Very well done.

Additionally campgrounds and the woods are well many better guns are found and some of the nicer machetes.

It's why I love this game so damn much. They've literally thought of everything. Unlike other games, you actually have to think about where stuff would be in real life to find it in the game.

Need a new backpack? Check camp-sites and houses. Need material? Check garages. Need food? Check restaurants and convenience stores.

I honestly believe this game has set a new standard for how loot should work in games.

TheCrow

I wish I had more to say! The icon is like a bunch of papers stacked on each other and the description is something like "An envelope containing a red pen. Says 'for Anthony.'" or something to that effect. I guess I hold onto it and hope I find a guy named Anthony?

I came across some notes too in the tavern. Tossed one that said something about food being poisoned in their house but kept one about guns and mres being tossed into the river. Maybe I'll check out the river once I get back from work.

aku:jiki

Woo, just got nicely lucky with the achievement for killing all types of "freaks" with your car. Was driving down the road and spotted a fatboy, and right after I killed him I saw a poison zombie right there too. Ran him over and pop!

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be keeping an eye for them. I'd say hold onto it, you never know when an Anthony might pop up. Everything in the game serves a purpose, so I definitely think it'll come in useful later on.

Nice, I haven't found a shotty yet but I did find a very sweet revolver with 20 bullets. Haven't used it yet due to fear of alerting the horde, but it will be put to use if I come across another feral.
If you want to grab the one I have, it's pretty easy to find. But, uh, hard to describe... If you look to the west of the town on your map, you should see a river. Above and below the river will be these windy little roads. Take the southern one and in the middle of it, take the turn up an S-shaped road. There are survivors and a water tower there. Use the water tower to find the only camp site in the area. There should be a red truck parked right there.

There's also a double-barrel shotgun way up in Mt. Tanner but that place is a death trap.

It's why I love this game so damn much. They've literally thought of everything. Unlike other games, you actually have to think about where stuff would be in real life to find it in the game.

Need a new backpack? Check camp-sites and houses. Need material? Check garages. Need food? Check restaurants and convenience stores.

I honestly believe this game has set a new standard for how loot should work in games.
The coolest part about it is how they sort of hid "illogical" resources in places that make sense. I mean, I just found a little wood workshop inside a house and it had building materials in it. Makes sense!

It's tolerable when on foot, but get in a car and it's just rubbish.
Yeah I don't mind the performance issues too much, but it'd be great if they can fix the frame rate dips while driving as their first priority. I drive very slow to avoid detection but also mostly to avoid crashing my car due to the screen stuttering.

Woo, just got nicely lucky with the achievement for killing all types of "freaks" with your car. Was driving down the road and spotted a fatboy, and right after I killed him I saw a poison zombie right there too. Ran him over and pop!

Surprisingly, I haven't encountered the fatboys yet. I did see what I assume was a poison zombie but booked it the hell out of here as I was low on pretty much everything. Still need to scavenge some more painkillers.

If you want to grab the one I have, it's pretty easy to find. But, uh, hard to describe... If you look to the west of the town on your map, you should see a river. Above and below the river will be these windy little roads. Take the southern one and in the middle of it, take the turn up an S-shaped road. There are survivors and a water tower there. Use the water tower to find the only camp site in the area. There should be a red truck parked right there.

There's also a double-barrel shotgun way up in Mt. Tanner but that place is a death trap.

Oh nice, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be heading there when I play next, which should be very soon...just waiting for my lunch/dinner to arrive.

The coolest part about it is how they sort of hid "illogical" resources in places that make sense. I mean, I just found a little wood workshop inside a house and it had building materials in it. Makes sense!

It absolutely does. The developers deserve so much praise for thinking of the little stuff that most other resource/scavenging games don't bother with. I could talk about this game all day, but the itch to play is setting in strong...

So I went up to the starting area of the game to search the remaining cabins for supplies. Both my melee weapons are almost broken, I have 30 bullets but there are two hordes nearby. It's also night time. I barricaded a cabin and am just crouched inside with the flashlight off until daylight.

Is there supposed to be someone in my watchtower/shooting platform? The house menu says Sam Hoffman for that area but he's At Home, reading in the dark without a flashlight LOL
----
So when the base is attacked, is it just like one horde?

Cause if me and someone else can take on a horde easily, I don't see how a horde would be match for like seven or eight survivors.

So when the base is attacked, is it just like one horde?

Cause if me and someone else can take on a horde easily, I don't see how a horde would be match for like seven or eight survivors.
I'm not sure it was a horde, but my church got attacked by several zombies climbing over the wall, and all the other fuckers just ran inside the church, leaving me alone outside to deal with the zombies.

KageMaru

Started a new game last night and played for a couple hours. Since I wasn't rushing, I was able to better understand what I was doing. I lost the "strangers" in the house down the street from the church, but haven't lost anyone actually in my group yet. Got stuck in a situation where my weapon broke on me, I was low on health and fatigued, only 20 bullets for my rifle, and accidently got spotted by a horde. Running, or at least trying to run, from them was intense as hell and I thankfully was able to limp to the nearest vehicle after using a couple houses to slow down the horde's progress. I was also able to see the tearing people were referring to and it does happen more often than I thought, I guess it helps to wear my glasses when playing, didn't think my eyesight was that bad. =p Even with the tearing and frame rate chugging at times, I'm still having a blast.

Really hope they end up patching co-op into this, my friends and I are hooked on this.

abundant

This game is such a roller coaster ride. I start playing it today and 45 minutes later I lost 3 survivors, 1 to a Feral Zombie and the other 2 were mercy killings due to being deathly ill. I felt down, but 30 minutes later, I rescue 3 new survivors and they joined my group. Right now I have enough food and medicine, but I'm running low on ammo and materials.

This game is such a roller coaster ride. I start playing it today and 45 minutes later I lost 3 survivors, 1 to a Feral Zombie and the other 2 were mercy killings due to being deathly ill. I felt down, but 30 minutes later, I rescue 3 new survivors and they joined my group. Right now I have enough food and medicine, but I'm running low on ammo and materials.
Do we actually get to "play" these mercy killings? Or is it just a cutscene or like a scripted story moment?
---

Anyone have any favorite "oh shit" moments or badass moments?

It's funny, in the the Undead Labs "Oh Shit" moments thread, like six people have the same moment: accidently driving off the bridge in the beginning. Me? I was on foot

Sent for a runner to pick up stuff, eventually he got a rucksack, but now he's just standing staring at a corner and I'm afraid to leave him. Marcus is my main character, so it'd kind of suck if he were to get offed by some glitchy stupidity.

Can't switch to him. Hopefully things will unbreak if I take Maya back to the church.
Scripting for him to head back kicked in when I got outside a certain radius. But I still couldn't switch to him.

Restarted, fixed, but it seems only because it hadn't saved after I had done all that loot running... Guess it's still a good thing?

How does the saving work? Is it always at a timed interval? Not after you've done certain things?

edit
Never mind, can't switch again. Seems it's linked to him being used as a runner.
Gonna try finishing the active mission. Hopefully that'll do something.
Yay, seems to have properly unscrewed itself finally.

Started a new game last night and played for a couple hours. Since I wasn't rushing, I was able to better understand what I was doing. I lost the "strangers" in the house down the street from the church, but haven't lost anyone actually in my group yet. Got stuck in a situation where my weapon broke on me, I was low on health and fatigued, only 20 bullets for my rifle, and accidently got spotted by a horde. Running, or at least trying to run, from them was intense as hell and I thankfully was able to limp to the nearest vehicle after using a couple houses to slow down the horde's progress. I was also able to see the tearing people were referring to and it does happen more often than I thought, I guess it helps to wear my glasses when playing, didn't think my eyesight was that bad. =p Even with the tearing and frame rate chugging at times, I'm still having a blast.

Really hope they end up patching co-op into this, my friends and I are hooked on this.

This is what SoD is all about and what games like Dead Rising (as much as I love it) have completely failed to get right.

The sense of tension and fear you feel when you're alone in the streets and a zombie horde is on your arse and you're only options are to either run as far as possible, attempt to fight or just give up and let the horde tear you apart.

DR is far more lenient, while you're surrounded by thousands of zombies, you never really feel in fear of any of them, you're far too powerful from the very outset, the game doesn't really attempt to capitalize on the tension you should feel from those thousands of zombies.

keit4

Banned
This game needs a deeper "how to play" section. I still don't get how i can swap between survivors. Right now i have 13 living in the church, but the game only lets me use 4 of them :(

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
This game needs a deeper "how to play" section. I still don't get how i can swap between survivors. Right now i have 13 living in the church, but the game only lets me use 4 of them :(

I believe you have to build trust with them first by doing actions that they like.

Beaulieu

First time I hear of this game and it looks awesome !
Skimming through giantbomb's "quick" look, I have a question tho'
Is it really all systemic or is there a "story" ? Are missiong scripted or do they appear randomly ?

Four of my survivors are tired. I have enough beds for everyone but they've been tired for a while now. ??

Also Ed and someoe else is still hurt. How long does it take to heal?

Vamphuntr

Game froze on me and I lost progress :/

Note to self never throw a molotov cocktail then quickly enter a car to get away at night. The game doesn't seem to like that.

abundant

Do we actually get to "play" these mercy killings? Or is it just a cutscene or like a scripted story moment?

Both. 1 was a cutscene, the other was a mission I could do (if I declined to do it, there's a chance that the sick survivor could turn and kill other survivors).

And no, it wasn't a scripted story mission.

Ironically, the guy who did the first mercy killing, which everyone hated, was the same guy I had to mercy kill.

Vamphuntr

Note to self never throw a molotov cocktail then quickly enter a car to get away at night. The game doesn't seem to like that.

Also Ed and someoe else is still hurt. How long does it take to heal?[/QUOTE]
Four of my survivors are tired. I have enough beds for everyone but they've been tired for a while now

Also Ed and someoe else is still hurt. How long does it take to heal?

For Ed, if it's the first time it's a story mission. You need to find the doctor or else....

I plan on making a video for this tonight. Can you guys give me any specific idea what you guys what featured in it. I will go ahead and try to showcase various things from base building, to character ability unlocks, and some overall tips.

Damn sucks, I know I've done something similar with no issues. I've had no lock ups with my 10 hours or so. Does the game keep track of your time anywhere? I don't think so. I've only been able to via my RAPTR account tracking.

Karak

Ya its insanely good. There is some serious movie level moments.

Krakn3Dfx

8.5 from Polygon, but that's not important. Someone mentioned that by their measure, State of Decay is 13.33% better than TLOU, but his post was deleted by Mein Führer Shaun McIlroy, saying:

"This is a review about State of Decay. The Last of Us review can be discussed on that thread but it would be a disservice to talk about it in this thread. I recommend perhaps joining the conversation that’s happening about TLOU’s score on the forums."

That site...

Both. 1 was a cutscene, the other was a mission I could do (if I declined to do it, there's a chance that the sick survivor could turn and kill other survivors).

And no, it wasn't a scripted story mission.
Whoa, that's cool.

---
Have a question. I wanted to move from the church to the Kirkman place in town. But there are survivors in that house, my trust with them is not enough to get them to come to my base, and there are no Survivor missions to help them.

So what to do? And for that matter, how do I get an enclave to join? Many times I can only greet survivors, no option to help and gain more trust

Karak

Whoa, that's cool.

---
Have a question. I wanted to move from the church to the Kirkman place in town. But there are survivors in that house, my trust with them is not enough to get them to come to my base, and there are no Survivor missions to help them.

So what to do? And for that matter, how do I get an enclave to join? Many times I can only greet survivors, no option to help and gain more trust

Put stuff in another groups resources. Some will never join you but will offer other perks. If someone is currently in it you are sort of in a hard spot.

Karak

They don't explain the icons at all. Does the wrench mean durability? What about the car icons?

Where? I mean where are the icons. If you are talking about right outside your base the car icon is a parking spot(that can be upgraded to slowly repair the car)

I had three hordes attack my base at once. I shut the gate on 'em and barricaded it with a car. Sniper took out most of them before they could find a way in.

I wish people would stop going for joyrides in my cars.

I also wish they would stop running off on their own and forcing me to come to their rescue. I can no longer get anything done.

I had three hordes attack my base at once. I shut the gate on 'em and barricaded it with a car. Sniper took out most of them before they could find a way in.

I wish people would stop going for joyrides in my cars.

I also wish they would stop running off on their own and forcing me to come to their rescue. I can no longer get anything done.

Perhaps start telling folks to leave. I beleive when they have an issue like anger, sadness, etc, you can actually tell them to take a hike. Perhaps lower your suvivor numbers. Less to deal with.

It's funny, in the the Undead Labs "Oh Shit" moments thread, like six people have the same moment: accidently driving off the bridge in the beginning. Me? I was on foot

Yep, I drove right off that bridge. I tried to jump the gap and succeeded in hitting the other side of the canyon head-first. Fortunately my truck stayed upright so I could use it to run over all the zombies that then attacked us.

Perhaps start telling folks to leave. I beleive when they have an issue like anger, sadness, etc, you can actually tell them to take a hike. Perhaps lower your suvivor numbers. Less to deal with.

I've only got like 15 survivors in my camp. I don't want them to leave. I want them to guard the fort while I go look for supplies.

Almost everyone in the community is happy. Probably because I keep them from getting eaten.

Anyone have any favorite "oh shit" moments or badass moments?

Yep, I drove off that bridge. Realised far too late it was out...

As for my 'oh shit' moment, it has to be encountered the ferals for the first time. Goddamn, Maya put up one hell of a fight but they got her, those bastards got her. I got vengeance though, but it felt hollow knowing that Maya would never return.

Go to your home map, go to the radio (Lilly). You can have her search for areas with specific supplies or look for more survivors
---

How do I do the double kill? It says Hold LB, then B but I can't do it.

I finally managed to do it last night. Look at your character's hands when using that move, you have to position it just right so he can grab a zombie with each hand.

Where? I mean where are the icons. If you are talking about right outside your base the car icon is a parking spot(that can be upgraded to slowly repair the car)

On the resources menu if you select vehicles it shows something like 4 icons for each car you've found.

My "oh shit" moment was being chased by 8 zombies with no stamina and a sliver of health left. I can't believe I made it back to base in time for them to shoot the zombies chasing me.

On the resources menu if you select vehicles it shows something like 4 icons for each car you've found.

I'm pretty sure the vehicle icon means you can repair those items. Have you created or set up a workshop?

I haven't paid too much attention that aspect beyond scavenging, but will certainly be progressing the story and base building over the weekend.

Definitely worth the price of admission.

Really meh frame rate, but the gameplay is the most addictive I've played in a while.

Yep, if you're willing to look past the various technical issues (which really aren't as bad as they in some other games), then you're in for one hell of a treat. Best game of the year without question, it's in the running for my game of the generation too.

And I don't say that lightly.

I'm pretty sure the vehicle icon means you can repair those items. Have you created or set up a workshop?

Not the one in the base menu. If you select a car from the vehicles menu on the previous tab it shows a long list of cars in the area. Each one has 4 or 5 icons on the bottom right corner:

A wheel in motion (I'm guessing speed)
Gauge (Fuel? Can cars run out of gas?)
Wrench (Durability?)
Seat (Passenger capacity)
Steering Wheel (Handling?)

I've had many OH SHIT moments but the one that immediatly made me say "NOPE" was I was told to rescue some survivors in a building with help of some army dudes. I rush to the building,I hear people being attack inside, I bust the door open, see what must have been 10+ zombies inside, all their eyes glowing in the dark. I immediatly turned around, jumped out the window, and threw a molotov cocktail inside. I lost some of the peoples trust, but I burned all those fuckers.

Top Bottom