• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Just encountered my first fatboy. It did not go well for him, two molotovs and a few crowbar swings to the head put him to sleep for good.
How do you aim your firebombs? I finally met a fatboy outside of the Wilkerson's mission. I threw all 4 firebombs at him but somehow all of the firebombs kinda auto-targeted the other zombies nearby instead of him.

Not the one in the base menu. If you select a car from the vehicles menu on the previous tab it shows a long list of cars in the area. Each one has 4 or 5 icons on the bottom right corner:

A wheel in motion (I'm guessing speed)
Gauge (Fuel? Can cars run out of gas?)
Wrench (Durability?)
Seat (Passenger capacity)
Steering Wheel (Handling?)

Ah right. I think those might be general icons about the cars or perhaps a remnant of a feature that Undead decided to cut because it didn't work.

There's no info about them on the Wiki, but it's still being updated by the looks of it.

http://stateofdecay.wikia.com/wiki/Vehicles

How do you aim your firebombs? I finally met a fatboy outside of the Wilkerson's mission. I threw all 4 firebombs at him but somehow all of the firebombs kinda auto-targeted the other zombies nearby instead of him.

I always just aim with my gun before throwing. Seems to work for me most the time on gauging a throw.

I don't know if you can aim, I saw him running towards me, panicked and unleashed a volley of firebombs.

I think they might be auto targeted or at least thrown in the direction you're looking. I've only been pressing LB, maybe holding it allows you to aim where it will land?

I've had many OH SHIT moments but the one that immediatly made me say "NOPE" was I was told to rescue some survivors in a building with help of some army dudes. I rush to the building,I hear people being attack inside, I bust the door open, see what must have been 10+ zombies inside, all their eyes glowing in the dark. I immediatly turned around, jumped out the window, and threw a molotov cocktail inside. I lost some of the peoples trust, but I burned all those fuckers.
Had a moment like this too

I was low on stamina and health, no items left. Was trying to get back to my base. A house was in my way and I didn't feel like going around it so I jumped through the closest window. Horde Alerted popped up so I start running through the house when I see the horde approaching from in front of me, from outside the house.

I turn around and barely got out befor hearing all the front window shatter as the horde enters the house in their pursuit. Now they're literally right behind me. I'm climbing over fences, other stragglers are joining, I'm just barely keeping them away with a kick here or there

I finally make it to my base, shut the gate just in time, and now there was a horde banging at my gate. Switched to someone else, then left the horde inside my base and left my group do the rest

bidguy

Banned
its awful reading all the great stuff about this game and not being able to play it (germany)

oh well only a week of waiting then i can finally get my hands on this.

bitoriginal

Is the trial a good representation of the game? Trying to convince a friend to grab this and wondering if I should get him to blind purchase or not...

This game is stupid. And dumb. Stupid and dumb. And mean. Per someone's post above, I returned to the starting campsite to find the tents I missed that have larger backpacks in them (and also to get the Zombie mask avatar award). Drove all the way back to the broken bridge, got to the other side and remembered my pickup truck wasn't there anymore because I destroyed it trying to jump the broken bridge, and only after it was destroyed did I find out you just walk up to the bridge and it tells you how to get across...mean game. So I lost my means of transportation on the campsite side of the bridge. OK, now I'm walking the rest of the way. And a horde finds me. And my hatchet breaks. And my small backpack has no more melee weapons in it. So I'm left with Yoga Pants' gun. I kill off the rest of the pack with the gun and the noise invites another pack. I outrun them and hide. I find the campsite I missed, get the avatar award, nearly die to zombies hiding in the camp, run out of bullets, and there's no damn bigger backpacks. Just chips. F*** you, dumb game. So I head back to the bridge and out of nowhere comes an incredibly fast zombie that tears Yoga Pants in half. Dead. I get switched to the body of the original starting player, make the same trip back to get Yoga's gear/guns, and in doing so die to a massive horde of zombies.

The end.

Dumb game.

I can't wait to start over. Word of warning, the camp area changes once the game progresses. Don't return there without proper supplies.

I'm pretty much going to turn my gaming review youtube channel into a State of Decay hub between my reviews, and discussion videos. That's how much I love this game!

derFeef

Aw crap I missed the big Rucksack too. Btw. How to you own trust to another survivor group? No one want's to talk to me.

How do I set up a new base again? Don't see an option on the radio? I had stopped playing for a few hours and now the Kirkman place is empty and a potential home base again. I have enough people and materials to make the move.

Karak

Aw crap I missed the big Rucksack too. Btw. How to you own trust to another survivor group? No one want's to talk to me.

Drop stuff into their storage lockers and also missions will pop up with them.

How do I set up a new base again? Don't see an option on the radio? I had stopped playing for a few hours and now the Kirkman place is empty and a potential home base again. I have enough people and materials to make the move.
To to the house make sure its been fully searched and cleaned. You will get a notification to buy.

prudislav

reallife time changes explained (from updated FAQ)
If you left:
- your community in pretty good shape, morale wise, and
- cars in parking spaces near your base and food in the kitchen,
- weapons in need of repair in the lockers near your workbench,
- and sufficient time has passed,

You will come back and find that people are happy, repaired cars and weapons, and possibly some new stuff from the things your survivors did while you weren't there. Their lives continue, as independently as you saw them living when you were online.

If you left:
- Morale sliding, and
- Too many infestations (please note, we're ACTIVELY working on a change where we reduce how much square footage is considered in this calculation to make it a little less...insane...), and
- Vaguely ominous warnings about someone looking sick, and
- Not enough beds for people to sleep in

You will come back to find the shit has hit the fan.

It continues on the path you set.

PLEASE NOTE: The pace of progression slows the longer you are offline. If you are offline for one day, you will see a pretty sizable chunk of change. If you are offline for two, you'll see a bit more than that. But the difference between a week and a month is minor. We expect that our players are adults, and adults sometimes need to be away from a game for months at a time.

reallife time changes explained (from updated FAQ)

If you left:
- your community in pretty good shape, morale wise, and
- cars in parking spaces near your base and food in the kitchen,
- weapons in need of repair in the lockers near your workbench,
- and sufficient time has passed,

You will come back and find that people are happy, repaired cars and weapons, and possibly some new stuff from the things your survivors did while you weren't there. Their lives continue, as independently as you saw them living when you were online.

If you left:
- Morale sliding, and
- Too many infestations (please note, we're ACTIVELY working on a change where we reduce how much square footage is considered in this calculation to make it a little less...insane...), and
- Vaguely ominous warnings about someone looking sick, and
- Not enough beds for people to sleep in

You will come back to find the shit has hit the fan.

It continues on the path you set.

PLEASE NOTE: The pace of progression slows the longer you are offline. If you are offline for one day, you will see a pretty sizable chunk of change. If you are offline for two, you'll see a bit more than that. But the difference between a week and a month is minor. We expect that our players are adults, and adults sometimes need to be away from a game for months at a time.

Thanks for posting.

Goodness, that all sounds incredible. I think I'm going to have to join the Undead Lab forum and shower daily praise on the developers.

prudislav

yep it sounds pretty good
- it punishes you if you are screwing the base and rewards you if you manages the base

Cant wait for PC port ;-) Day 1 purchase

Drop stuff into their storage lockers and also missions will pop up with them.

To to the house make sure its been fully searched and cleaned. You will get a notification to buy.
I fully searched and cleared the house. I got the text in the corner saying Potential House Site. I'm not doing a mission

No notification to buy anywhere

Karak

I fully searched and cleared the house. I got the text in the corner saying Potential House Site. I'm not doing a mission

No notification to buy anywhere

Well if you have enough building supplies 25 or 30 I think, and enough people(each house requires a certain amount) then I don't know.

aku:jiki

Man, some things are grating on me by now. Getting kinda pissed at all the limitations they set on runners... It costs money, you can only do 2 at a time, they have a cooldown timer AND the runners get stuck and need help seriously 60% of the time? I mean...come on. At some point there has to be some kind of positive gain to a feature.

Reading that fix list, has anyone got the "too many infestations" status despite not having a single infestation anywhere on the map? It keeps bitching at me about it and I have no idea what it wants me to do...

Don't know where y'all are getting it that the big backpacks are way up in the mountains. I posted that they're RIGHT OUTSIDE the church! Like 50 meters to the north.

aku:jiki

OH! And whenever you guys are ready to leave the first little town and move to the large one in the southwest, DO NOT fall for Jacob's shitty nostalgia. The house he wants sucks! I just wasted resources on that crap... Drive down the same street to the west and you'll find a base that's quite a lot more useful.

OH! And whenever you guys are ready to leave the first little town and move to the large one in the southwest, DO NOT fall for Jacob's shitty nostalgia. The house he wants sucks! I just wasted resources on that crap... Drive down the same street to the west and you'll find a base that's quite a lot more useful.

Thank you kindly.

I tried to progress the story a little earlier but ended up scavenging some more buildings I happened across. Worked out though, found a speedy car in the process but lost my trusty bat.

see5harp

Well damn. I guess I'll buy this then. I can't believe how many people are on the leaderboards. It seems like people get down on xbla and think that nothing sells well or that there isn't any indie dev support left and then something like this comes out of left field with a little push from journalists and marketing on the dash and all of the sudden 150,000 people have paid $20 for the game. That's a lot of revenue.

I had to kill an infected person in my group today and wow that was hard. I really didn't want to do it.

Wait, that can happen? Oh shit.

This game man. I've said it before, but they really have thought of everything.

Well damn. I guess I'll buy this then. I can't believe how many people are on the leaderboards. It seems like people get down on xbla and think that nothing sells well or that there isn't any indie dev support left and then something like this comes out of left field with a little push from journalists and marketing on the dash and all of the sudden 150,000 people have paid $20 for the game. That's a lot of revenue.

Buy it, you won't regret it. And yeah, it's great to see this title succeed. Shows there's still some life in the ol' Live Arcade machine, but only if a game is actually advertised on the dash unlike so many others...

The IGN let's plays also played a major factor I feel, they were well done and showed the game in a very good light. Great job guys.

derFeef

Wait, that can happen? Oh shit.

This game man. I've said it before, but they really have thought of everything.

One of my guys is sick... wonder if that's it. Oh gosh.
Also am I wrong with saying that this would be a perfect Walking Dead game? I am fine with it being original, but just saying :)

sunnz

For those who are playing, would you say it would have been better if Fuel consumption for vehicles was added in and not removed?

I feel that would have been a one the highlight features of this game if added.

One of my guys is sick... wonder if that's it. Oh gosh.
Also am I wrong with saying that this would be a perfect Walking Dead game? I am fine with it being original, but just saying :)

Oh shit. I wonder, can you ask a sick survivor to leave? Would be pretty epic if you asked they leave but they returned a few hours with a horde in tow.

Yeah, it feels like this is the game that Survival Instincts desperately wanted to be but the developers simply weren't up to the task. No shame there, not many developers would be able to pull this off, I'm still surprised a start-up like Undead Labs were able to when other, much bigger studios have failed to even come close to offering the same experience available here.

Well if you have enough building supplies 25 or 30 I think, and enough people(each house requires a certain amount) then I don't know.
Now I know what it was. For anyone who might be confused as well:

"Rescue Lily's brother, get the doc, wait for the cut scene for the mission "Home Away From Home", "discover" all three base options (Kirkman, McReady, and Savinni), watch cutscene, then choose which place you want to go.

You need the mission, then you need to complete it. Then you can move."

Haven't even rescues the brother yet, just been doing sandbox stuff for the past like five hours. Ten hours in and I've barely explored beyond the town and area near the church.

charsace

Now I know what it was. For anyone who might be confused as well:

"Rescue Lily's brother, get the doc, wait for the cut scene for the mission "Home Away From Home", "discover" all three base options (Kirkman, McReady, and Savinni), watch cutscene, then choose which place you want to go.

You need the mission, then you need to complete it. Then you can move."

Haven't even rescues the brother yet, just been doing sandbox stuff for the past like five hours. Ten hours in and I've barely explored beyond the town and area near the church.

Can't the brother die if you don't get him in time?

Did ask not long ago but no response, is the trial a good representation of the game?

I haven't played the trial unfortunately, but if it's just the opening section where you're searching the camp site and heading tot he hut, I think it's a fairly good representation of the game but it's only really scratching the surface of what the game has to offer once you reach the Church.

For those who are playing, would you say it would have been better if Fuel consumption for vehicles was added in and not removed?

I feel that would have been a one the highlight features of this game if added.

Hmm, I think it would have added more tension to exploration and with this game already dripping with tension, I'm not sure if my heart could take it.

I think it might be a good idea to patch it in and allow players to either enable or disable it. Like a pure survival difficulty or something. It would work incredibly well here.

lol Pile Driver condoms

????

This game definitely needs a patch. Had a car spawn just in front of me when I was driving, which made me flip my pick-up.

Aaaaaand a survivor quest just bugged and wouldn't finish, so I just turned it off.

Karak

I had to kill an infected person in my group today and wow that was hard. I really didn't want to do it.

Just one? You aint seen nothing yet.

Oh shit. I wonder, can you ask a sick survivor to leave? Would be pretty epic if you asked they leave but they returned a few hours with a horde in tow.

Yeah, it feels like this is the game that Survival Instincts desperately wanted to be but the developers simply weren't up to the task. No shame there, not many developers would be able to pull this off, I'm still surprised a start-up like Undead Labs were able to when other, much bigger studios have failed to even come close to offering the same experience available here.

If they are truly sick and not just ill they can't be asked to leave.

Those of you that have played it, is it worth the 1600 points...cause I got a card sitting around collecting dust.
Like I told someone else:

"This is The Walking Dead game you always wanted. Not for the story but for the gameplay and atmosphere. Build a community, manage your survivors, make sure they're happy and have supplies to last because if morale is low, they will leave, taking supplies and maybe hurting othes in the process

There are a shitload of melee weapons, everything from a tree branch to a katana and like 90+ guns. But you can't mow down hordes like in Dead Rising. You have to be smart and cautious cause in the right (wrong?) circumstance, even two or three zombies can kill you. The zombies here are dangerous, headshots only, and they will rip your favorite character in half if you aren't careful

The world is large and there is so much to explore and find thanks to every bullding having an interior, that I'm still in the first town after seven hours and still haven't seen everything.

Permadeath, RPG elements, randomized characters with stats that are influenced by their traits and personality, finite supplies, random Fate events like disease or power loss"

If that interested you or you like the zombie genre, then it'll be the best game you've bought for 1600 points. Just be aware there are some graphical issues, that have been discussed here and in reviews

sunnz

Also a pretty important question:

How does the loot system work?

Say you went into 1 house and looted it, would that house re spawn loot eventually? and can you find any loot anywhere or is it location specific ( guns in military areas, etc...)?

Karak

Also a pretty important question:

How does the loot system work?

Say you went into 1 house and looted it, would that house re spawn loot eventually? and can you find any loot anywhere or is it location specific ( guns in military areas, etc...)?

They say no. But I swear about 20 hours later I went back in and there was some useless junk like the glass cat. But for all intents and purposes no.

Loot is somewhat random but there appear to be tables to make sure that things that make sense are more likely to be certain places like medicine and guns.

Those of you that have played it, is it worth the 1600 points...cause I got a card sitting around collecting dust.

YES, YES, YES, YES.

A thousand times yes, but you should know that I'm absolutely in love with the game so perhaps I'm not the best person to ask/listen to.

I will say that it's the zombie game I've dreamt about since first playing Dead Rising 1. It's simply incredible, they've thought of absolutely everything, it's the perfect post apocalyptic zombie survival game. I doubt any game will ever come close to offering the same experience as that which is available here.

There are a few negatives. It's janky, pop in can be pretty bad at times, there's also clipping, slow-down and there's some tearing. If you're able to live with some jank, you'll have a blast playing this.

Like I told someone else:

"This is The Walking Dead game you always wanted. Not for the story but for the gameplay and atmosphere. Build a community, manage your survivors, make sure they're happy and have supplies to last because if morale is low, they will leave, taking supplies and maybe hurting othes in the process

There are a shitload of melee weapons, everything from a tree branch to a katana and like 90+ guns. But you can't mow down hordes like in Dead Rising. You have to be smart and cautious cause in the right (wrong?) circumstance, even two or three zombies can kill you. The zombies here are dangerous, headshots only, and they will rip your favorite character in half if you aren't careful

The world is large and there is so much to explore and find thanks to every bullding having an interior, that I'm still in the first town after seven hours and still haven't seen everything.

Permadeath, RPG elements, randomized characters with stats that are influenced by their traits and personality, finite supplies, random Fate events like disease or power loss"

If that interested you or you like the zombie genre, then it'll be the best game you've bought for 1600 points. Just be aware there are some graphical issues, that have been discussed here and in reviews

Great summary.

I had three hordes attack my base at once. I shut the gate on 'em and barricaded it with a car. Sniper took out most of them before they could find a way in.

I wish people would stop going for joyrides in my cars.

I also wish they would stop running off on their own and forcing me to come to their rescue. I can no longer get anything done.
I was driving back home and saw a crowd of three hordes on the road right outside.
*GOURANGA*

Anyone have any favorite "oh shit" moments or badass moments?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=61498625#post61498625

PHILtheCANADIAN

Neo Member
I've been really enjoying it thus far, there's a lot of stuff going on it took awhile for me to understand how everything works. Had a fun moment where I told someone to come pick up supplies at this fast food joint, on their way to it they were attacked by two zombie hordes and I had to save him by ramming the hordes with a car lol. Great game for $20

Karak

I still think the best little thing in the game is the "moments of silence, or the small gatherings in the base after a character dies and little quotes about them"

Its not much but it was that it occurred at all that amazed me.

"Marcus...he was with us from the beginning." "Never complained about the cooking"

I really do have a feeling MS is going to leap into the Full MMO for the XBox One with this and I am excited to see a next gen version.

Top Bottom