• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

eXistor

My god, these Missing Survivor missions are getting on my nerves. Every damn time I wanna get something done these pop up and I have to drop whatever it is I'm doing to save someone's ass again. Still loving the game though, but there's definitely some shitty parts to it.

Erekiddo

- Switch characters when they get tired and injured instead of pumping one character with stims and running out your supply - it'll even out your XP to give you an allrounded team instead of one superman with 8 terrible buddies as a bonus.

This is the main issue I was having. My main character was extremely fatigued (about a quarter left of stamina), and switching to my other main, she was injured. I have other people in my group, but no one that I can switch to just yet.

If both of my characters are injured, what do I do? Turn off the game and check back later? I had finished the medic and extra sleeping area upgrade.

Some pointers based on my playstyle:

- Loot, loot, loot, loot.
- Ignore zed hunts.
- Only go for clearing out infestations and helping people if you want friend (i.e. playable) status with that character, or if infestations are becoming too many.
- Don't bother caring too much about your "neighbors."
- Story missions aren't timed so you can ignore them however long you need.
- Cars are superior to walking; the noise they make is not a problem and running over a horde will save your ass many times.
- But level up that cardio (by sprinting) so you get more stamina for fighting.
- Melee over shooting in almost any situation. I use a shotgun to thin out hordes running at me and because I want to level up the skill for no particular reason, otherwise I only melee.
- Carry two melee weapons (in case one breaks), a firearm if you want, one stack of chips and one stack of painkillers.
- Switch characters when they get tired and injured instead of pumping one character with stims and running out your supply - it'll even out your XP to give you an allrounded team instead of one superman with 8 terrible buddies as a bonus.
- Get a larger backpack ASAP (camp site in the woods, just north of your home base in the church, it's VERY close).

This is excellent advice. Should be added to the OP.

Especially the backpack advice, this is by far the most invaluable piece of advice you'll receive.

BTW, I came across some firecrackers earlier. Amazing. Bloody amazing for distracting hordes.

Any specific places to find melee weapons?

Homes are a good place to look. Garages too. You'll find anything from a knife to a bat to a crowbar. I haven't come across many other melee weapons, but there's apparently swords in the game too...really need to dedicate some time to finding one.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Homes are a good place to look. Garages too. You'll find anything from a knife to a bat to a crowbar. I haven't come across many other melee weapons, but there's apparently swords in the game too...really need to dedicate some time to finding one.

Thanks.

edit: backpacks don't increase the number of slots you have right, but you can hold more of the same item?

Thanks.

edit: backpacks don't increase the number of slots you have right, but you can hold more of the same item?

They increase the number of slots you have. When you do find a new backpack, be sure to equip it and then store the old backpack in a supply locker for some free influence.

Marleyman

Banned
I loved playing this last night. Didn't get that far however I am concerned about the fact that the world keeps going on even with the game off. Let's say I don't play tonight and fire it up the next day; what kind of changes should I expect?

I loved playing this last night. Didn't get that far however I am concerned about the fact that the world keeps going on even with the game off. Let's say I don't play tonight and fire it up the next day; what kind of changes should I expect?

Lower morale is all but guaranteed. Survivors you've rescued that can also apparently die, but I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but by Polygon, so I don't know how accurate the claim is.

It basically bases on how you leave the game. Leave it with stuff on a more downward slope and it might be a little worse when you get back. Leave it on the high note and you should be fine. That's how I interpreted it.

kirby145

Neo Member
I wasn't able to get enough supplies to build things yesterday as both of my characters got tired and hurt. So hopefully they are healed today.

Marleyman

Banned

Karak

Utter obliteration.
Kidding its answered on the previous 2 pages.

aku:jiki

Has anyone figured out how the hell to repair cars? Karak?

I've got the mechanic workshop or whatever (it comes with the warehouse) and I've got four of those import tuners banged up and parked in the spots outside. Some of them have been there for a long ass time and they're still banged up and smoking and shit...

What's the second house to get? I found one near bottom of map but I don't want it to be a crappy one
Most people seem to go for Kirkman (a red house very close to the church), but I'd say skip it. Go straight for the Snyder truck warehouse in the western part of the southwest town, but only after you've cleared the crap out of the first town so you don't have to go back too much. You really don't need much else than sleeping quarters in the first part of the game and the church should have one free building slot for that. You'll have plenty of time (and more of a need) to build other facilities later.

wwm0nkey

I've got the mechanic workshop or whatever (it comes with the warehouse) and I've got four of those import tuners banged up and parked in the spots outside. Some of them have been there for a long ass time and they're still banged up and smoking and shit...

You know how it says it repairs in a day? Yeah they actually mean a day in real life.

IT CAN HAPPEN.
Those survivor bastards.

Oh God, I was hoping it was all a hoax. How am I meant to sleep knowing someone might be moments away from being torn in half and having their guts feasted upon.

Gah, this game is going to be the death of me. I just know it. I always knew my death would involve games, I just never realised it would involve the game I've dreamt about for years...

This is from the Wiki, not sure how accurate is it tho,

Players can repair vehicles if the damage is light. In order to tackle repairs, a community will need a parking area, workshop, parts, and a survivor with the appropriate skill. Workshops can be upgraded to maintain vehicles at a faster rate. Vehicles can be damaged to the point where they can't be repaired and even explode.

Repairing the vehicles does not require actual vehicle parts to repair them. instead repairing them requires construction materials. The same materials used for regular construction at the base.

And this is from the UDL forums,

To repair, you must have the Advanced Workshop. In order for your vehicles to be repaired, they must be parked in an actual parking spot in/around your home base, and you must wait 14 real life hours for it to happen. Same goes for weapons. They must be stored in your home base and will be repaired after 14 hours.

So I have a video of my first defense mission. I totally didn't expect it nor was I prepared. I started running out of ammo. I had to improvise.
Oh man, that mission sucked. I was barely hanging on with no heals and little ammo left. Luckily the AI got kinda buggy and all the zombies formed an orderly queue and attacked this one window which the NPC just kept repairing so they never got in while I managed to pick them off, haha.

Oh man, that mission sucked. I was barely hanging on with no heals and little ammo left. Luckily the AI got kinda buggy and all the zombies formed an orderly queue and attacked this one window which the NPC just kept repairing so they never got in while I managed to pick them off, haha.

I loved it but hated it. I also had no idea I was about to run into those barrells full of gas? That explosion was NOT what I expected! lol

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
so ive been work all day,

i come home to find 2 of the people living in the church with me have died.

seriously thats some bullshit and i really am turned of playing the game anymore. i dont mind losing morale and shit but have your chars die just because u havent been able to play is some serious shit that im not liking very much.

sorry for having a real life

JambiBum

I lost Marcus today :(. I was waiting for daylight to come and decided that I would go out a little to scavenge a building. Got out of my car and went up to the building and all of a sudden a big ass zombie (the one that jumps on you, don't know what he is called) pounced me. I got him off and tried to fight him but then he pounced me again and ended up ripping Marcus in half. Ended up getting all of his stuff back but I have no idea where that zombie could be.

Are there scripted moments in the story moments? Like, that allow for scenarios that couldn't happen in just freeroam?

So far all the missions have been tutorial-esque- how to build up your base, how to move your base, etc. - or just go here and kill zombies

I won't get bored doing that, but I was wondering if the story missions do more than that, in terms of gameplay scenarioos

Aw, man, I feel stupid for taking this long to come up with the ultimate looting strategy. Level someone to the point where they can get the looting skill so they can clear out a house in like 2 minutes, go to a neighborhood you haven't searched and clear out the house in the middle and make it an outpost. Don't pick up any resources yourself, try to get as much of it grabbed by runners as possible. Loot the houses for everything else and dump it off in your outpost as you fill your inventory. Speed looting!

I won't get bored doing that, but I was wondering if the story missions do more than that, in terms of gameplay scenarioos
Yes. Things will start happening very soon from where you are.

Neverfade

So I fire up the game just now and my save is fucking gone.

8 hours put in yesterday just no longer exists.

State of Decay |OT| Eat Shit.

High praise from Steve Gaynor (Idle Thumbs, Minerva's Den, Gone Home):
ilISEedOQyuCs.jpg

https://twitter.com/fullbright/status/342736533050236930

OrangeOak

I was doing well and it became a little easy so I was relaxed to the point where I went searching cheese grater for a fest at night.....I will miss you Marcus ;(
I made too much noise during searching and whole horde of zombies rushed through doors and windows,there was no hope.
As a big The Walking Dead fan I must say that this is type of game that I was always dreamed to play when I was watching the show.I am so happy tha it became reality.
I hope that it will sell good and we will see a sequel.
Its a little shame that there is no coop because it would be glorious.

Still haven't died once. I've been getting very lucky.

Marcus is my main man. I think he's got nearly everything close to maxed out. He's a beast with a two-handed axe, which means him great for clearing out infections (need to take a lot of snacks, though).

I think I'd probably just stop playing if I lost Marcus. :(

I was doing well and it became a little easy so I was relaxed to the point where I went searching cheese grater for a fest at night.....I will miss you Marcus ;(
I made too much noise during searching and whole horde of zombies rushed through doors and windows,there was no hope.
As a big The Walking Dead fan I must say that this is type of game that I was always dreamed to play when I was watching the show.I am so happy tha it became reality.
I hope that it will sell good and we will see a sequel.
Its a little shame that there is no coop because it would be glorious.
If the game sells well enough, they plan to add co-op

I think I'd probably just stop playing if I lost Marcus. :(

I lost him yesterday and I don't even know how. Was at home base. Instead of pausing, pulled up either my inventory screen or map. Went to use the rest room and get a drink, came back, was one of the other characters. WTF happened. I have no idea :( I don't even know where his stuff would be if you can pick up your deceased peoples inventory....can you?

Had two "oh shit" moments within 30 minutes

1) I was playing as a new survivor I had just become friendly with. We needed food so I headed over to the small foodmart at the edge of the church town. I taunt to get the zombies outside and make fighting them more manageable. Looting the place, I get four rucksacks of food. I didn't have enough influence to call anyone so I decided to run back and forth before night. So I take the first rucksack but stupidly decide to quick search the last area of the store.

The horde that's coming down the street gets alerted and rushes through the doors. It's really tight in the store and dark too, because the windows are covered up. I get cornered by the cash register counter and go down. I'm able to get back up and try to jump over the counter. It's too high. I go down again, get back, go to jump through the window but you can't jump through the windows here.

So now I'm spamming the dodge and roll like crazy and finally break away and get outside. No time to regain stamina and only a sliver of health left. I hop over the nearby fence. A zombie grabs me, slows me down just enough, for the horde to catch up and rip me in half. That was my first death

2) I was heading over to the big town for the Judge mission in my nice sports car. There was a horde in the road and I didn't want to get my brand new car damaged and bloody so I went around...and right into a stream/ditch.

And now my car was stuck and the horde was coming. A few stragglers were already clawing at the door. I got out and a feral jumped on me. Low on stamina and health, no painkillers, I knock the feral down and finish it off first and then start sprinting away from the rest. I get grabbed once, twice, then I go down. They're clawing at me and I hoping that I don't die. I'm able to knock them away and a portion of stamina is restored and I sprint enough to make some space and get to a car. But damn that was close

My first hard freeze ended my session for tonight. If my save's messed up when I boot tomorrow, I'm going to fucking cry.

I lost him yesterday and I don't even know how. Was at home base. Instead of pausing, pulled up either my inventory screen or map. Went to use the rest room and get a drink, came back, was one of the other characters. WTF happened. I have no idea :( I don't even know where his stuff would be if you can pick up your deceased peoples inventory....can you?
Yes, a dead ally leaves a green icon on the map and if you go there, there's a rucksack with their inventory.

Probably doesn't happen if they inside the base, though.

Vamphuntr

I'm getting better at it now that I'm starting to understand the rules a bit more.

If you don't clear infestations quickly, more will appear and your survivors will get lost/attacked on the way

Putting outpost prevents infestations from appearing and reduces the number of hordes

It's really janky and irritating at times but it's really addictive. I moved my base to the warehouse in the south town and fully build and upgraded many facilities. I have 9 playable characters so far.

Once you get the ability to call
the swat
on the radio you kind of unlock easy mode.

Top Bottom