• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So can you win the campaign or is this more or less real life pac man, where its only a matter of time before you get got?

Ilive1up

so, i'm enjoying the game. there's so much to do (it's almost overwhelming). one thing, and it's pretty major, is the slow down and pop-in while playing the game. i mean, it's almost worse than anything i have ever played before. hopefully there's a patch coming or something to fix up some of the visual and technical miscues.

Anyone find any use for the notes? I found one that mentions a bunch of guns, ammo, and food were thrown into the river. I don't know whether I should bother searching.

mokeyjoe

Played the demo and as soon as I got to the ranger station I bought it.

I've played for a couple of hours now. Haven't died yet and morale is at max so it seems a little easy so far.

It's saying I need to build a sleeping area but I have no idea how to build stuff. I could do with a manual. How do you build things/make improvements?

charsace

Project Zomboid and Dead State guys have to be crying right now playing this game. This game just made it real hard for the other 2 and I am a guy that like Zomboid.

Played the demo and as soon as I got to the ranger station I bought it.

I've played for a couple of hours now. Haven't died yet and morale is at max so it seems a little easy so far.

It's saying I need to build a sleeping area but I have no idea how to build stuff. I could do with a manual. How do you build things/make improvements?

I'm 10 hours in, have barely done any story missions and haven't even fully explored the town and area around the church. (The wonders of 95% interiors)

But I have heard that there are story moments that will make you wish it was so easy again

To build stuff, you need a certain amount of supplies and influence points. In your UP-dpad menu, you can see how much ammo, food, meds, materials, etc, you. You need materials to build a sleeping area

Project Zomboid and Dead State guys have to be crying right now playing this game. This game just made it real hard for the other 2 and I am a guy that like Zomboid.

You just reminded me, where's Derrick? I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in with thoughts about the game.

No doubt we'll be at loggerheads if/when he does.

A few things I'm not sure of

How do you get neighbours to join/like you? I come across some survivors holed up in a house but they won't join me.

How do I extend my base? I wanna build outposts but not sure how or why?

It sometimes says I can build a new place (the building has a supply chest) but how do I do this?

I've only done the meds mission near the church area.

A few things I'm not sure of

How do you get neighbours to join/like you? I come across some survivors holed up in a house but they won't join me.

How do I extend my base? I wanna build outposts but not sure how or why?

It sometimes says I can build a new place (the building has a supply chest) but how do I do this?

I've only done the meds mission near the church area.

Yeah this happened to me and now they're gone ;_;

Also, what are the benefits of building an outpost? Just to access your items?

kirby145

Neo Member
I cant build a different house... Really? Game makes no sense if it tells me I have enough resources but it has no option to build it.

abundant

When this game wants to fuck with you, it does it so hard. In my last play session, 5 zombie infestations popped up, which killed my moral, and because I had low moral, people started doing their own things and thus became missing. I had three people go missing, but I did find one of them. I also lost three more survivors, all thanks to Feral Zombies + Zombie hordes.

So now I have 7 survivors, 2 of which are still missing. On the plus side, I have a ton of Meds, Food, Ammo, and Materials.

Reading this thread is REALLY making me want to play it.

I love the "How do I/How do you" posts. Reminds me a lot of Dark Souls early days discussions. Sounds like there is little handholding and you just figure shit out or depend on the community. LOVE shit like that. :D

I cant build a different house... Really? Game makes no sense if it tells me I have enough resources but it has no option to build it.
You need to be at a certain point in the story. I think the mission is called House Hunting. You can choose a new base out of three choices. After that story-related move, you can move to any base you want.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or the intial load into continue game is long. I timed mine and it took 5 minutes and 44 seconds. It's done this Everytime even when I started a new game yesterday it took that long.

Reading this thread is REALLY making me want to play it.

I love the "How do I/How do you" posts. Reminds me a lot of Dark Souls early days discussions. Sounds like there is little handholding and you just figure shit out or depend on the community. LOVE shit like that. :D

If you're a fan of Dark Souls and a fan of the zombie game, this is the game for you. But yeah the game has little hand holding. Maybe too little, it takes a while to understand all the various systems and the consequences of certain things. But then it works, because in a real apocalypse, you'd be struggling to run a new community and understand how the world works as well

Guess I have to post it again:
About combat-
"Actually the combat reminds me of Dark Souls. You only have a few moves but time everything right and don't button mash and those few moves go a long way. I always feel like a badass

Sprint in, drop kick, finisher, shove some zombies away, dodge and counter a third, roll behind the group, kick a few back for breathing room, finish off some more, and save the badass jump attack for the last one.

Of course when you're low on stamina and have no painkillers left, all that stuff goes out the window and only desperation remains. Which is great"

About the game in general:
"This is The Walking Dead game you always wanted. Not for the story but for the gameplay and atmosphere. Build a community, manage your survivors, make sure they're happy and have supplies to last because if morale is low, they will leave, taking supplies and maybe hurting others in the process

There are a s@#!load of melee weapons, everything from a tree branch to a katana and like 90+ guns. But you can't mow down hordes like in Dead Rising. You have to be smart and cautious cause in the right (wrong?) circumstance, even two or three zombies can kill you. The zombies here are dangerous, headshots only, and they will rip your favorite character in half if you aren't careful

The world is large and there is so much to explore and find thanks to every bullding having an interior, that I'm still in the first town after seven hours and still haven't seen everything.

Permadeath, RPG elements, randomized characters with stats that are influenced by their traits and personality, finite supplies, random Fate events like disease or power loss

If that interested you or you like the zombie genre, then it'll be the best game you've bought for 1600 points. Just be aware there are some graphical issues, that have been discussed here and in reviews"

keit4

Banned
I just moved to a farm. It's far away from the urban area, so the zombies aren't a problem, and you can build up to nine facilities. It's perfect!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
A few questions-

Where am I supposed to park a car to get it repaired at the church? I have a workshop, but the cars aren't repairing.

How do I use outpost traps? It says "traps ready" and there's a full bar, but I have no idea what to do.

Should I be throwing outposts everywhere? What does the white circle around an outpost do? Does it stop hordes from walking through? Should I blanket the town outside the church with outposts?

I just moved to a farm. It's far away from the urban area, so the zombies aren't a problem, and you can build up to nine facilities. It's perfect!
Whereabouts is it? I've been meaning to relocate but the place the story mission suggested seemed like a pretty bad area.

Karak

So I got over 41 requests to throw a small tutorial together about the menu. Its fast, its basic and its without any script. But I explain some of the menu's and the 24 hour clock, show one of the special moves that seems to help new players the most and also cover some driving tactics and car control, and lastly I cover some bits about skills and how they matter so much regardless of their appearance as being fodder.

Its rough but here you go and I will be doing some more int he next couple days. I am also contacting the creators to see if they want to chime in with their own hints and tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9YKFza60WQ

It is probably not even super helpful(cept to newbies) but I am waiting for a reply from the creators to get them on board with some help videos and tip videos first.

Hope this helps
A few questions-

Where am I supposed to park a car to get it repaired at the church? I have a workshop, but the cars aren't repairing.
You need to upgrade your workshop to repair cars.

How do I use outpost traps? It says "traps ready" and there's a full bar, but I have no idea what to do.
Traps go off automatically if a horde passes by the outpost.

Should I be throwing outposts everywhere? What does the white circle around an outpost do? Does it stop hordes from walking through? Should I blanket the town outside the church with outposts?
Well you can have a certain amount of outposts. The church allows for four. You can access your supply locker from outposts, they provide a small safe zone they can expand, they reduce zombies and hordes in the area as well as reduce infestations

Vamphuntr

It will take forever for your survivors to go in towns scavenge stuff once the barns and houses in the area are looted though.

Personally, I like my base to be near the places I'm looting/ doing missions. Less time spent carrying items this way.

A few questions-

You need to park it in front of the cement slab thing. It repairs slowly overnight and you need to upgrade it to repair stuff outside of tires and minor damages.

Traps are used automatically I think. You will often see them reloading on the map screen. It's simply a way to prevent zombies from infesting areas. Some outposts will also produce supplies.

There is a limit on how many outposts you can build depending on which base you are using. You can see the limit in the journal on the base improvement screen.

---

I do hope they put a performance patch out now that it's selling well. The framerate is really unacceptable as it oftens drops to 0 FPS.

Ilive1up

how do you fix weapons? i built the shop or w/e it is but i don't understand how it works. do i place a broken weapon on it or something?

abundant

man, as soon as I move to the farm the shit hits the fan. there are THREE hords heading towards the farm and I was forced to quit.

Like I said, when the game wants to fuck with you, it does it so hard.

Oh you cleared out 2 Zombie Infestations? Well here's a Zombie Horde with a Feral Zombie in the mix.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
There is a limit on how many outposts you can build depending on which base you are using. You can see the limit in the journal on the base improvement screen.

Are you sure about this? I have 2 outposts while stationed at the church, and the outpost screen says I have 4/5 outposts. It also says this number goes up 1 every hour. I'm assuming I can make 4 more outposts in the hour, then I can make another when an hour passes?

chris121580

When this game wants to fuck with you, it does it so hard. In my last play session, 5 zombie infestations popped up, which killed my moral, and because I had low moral, people started doing their own things and thus became missing. I had three people go missing, but I did find one of them. I also lost three more survivors, all thanks to Feral Zombies + Zombie hordes.

So now I have 7 survivors, 2 of which are still missing. On the plus side, I have a ton of Meds, Food, Ammo, and Materials.
This...so much this...and I'm loving every minute of it

Karak

like, it takes 24 real life hours to fix? so, is the game "playing" while my xbox is off?

Yes it is and yes its 24 real hours. I talk about it in my video a few posts above.Some things run on 24 clocks.

Also I returned to once again have a manic depressive shit kill 2 of my survivors. Fucker. Its JUST like playing the Walking Dead.

wwm0nkey

Yes it is and yes its 24 real hours. I talk about it in my video a few posts above.Some things run on 24 clocks.

Also I returned to once again have a manic depressive shit kill 2 of my survivors. Fucker. Its JUST like playing the Walking Dead.

Note to self, do not have a Morale issue before getting off.....

Ilive1up

wow. that's intense.

Just started up and noticed 200k people on the leaderboards. Wow!

XBLA strikes again with another hit. This game is surprisingly fun and will suck up hours of my life in the future. Can't wait for the MMO version of this.

I just took a potential trouble maker to a secluded location and shot him in the head :D

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just started up and noticed 200k people on the leaderboards. Wow!

XBLA strikes again with another hit. This game is surprisingly fun and will suck up hours of my life in the future. Can't wait for the MMO version of this.

Yeah, the MMO version could be amazing. I would be fine we a 4 player persistent co-op version as well.

Top Bottom