• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Vamphuntr

Are you sure about this? I have 2 outposts while stationed at the church, and the outpost screen says I have 4/5 outposts. It also says this number goes up 1 every hour. I'm assuming I can make 4 more outposts in the hour, then I can make another when an hour passes?

Check the map of your base on your journal. See the squares under outpost? That's the spaces remaining.

deuce985

Banned
Gosh, I have such a disinterest in playing games lately. But I want to play this one so bad after reading comments in this thread. If I only I still had a 360. *sigh*

Hurry up with the PC version please. =(

GoxRx

I lost Marcus because a fat zombie took me and destroyed me :(

Where did you build the second base? I dont know where I can build it, I mean a guy told me but I'm not sure if that house is a good place... any advice?

LowerLevel

Got my kick in the pants moment a few hours ago. A new survivor I have been leveling, Sam, apparently came back gravely injured and I had to either put her down, release her or figure it out later... Decided to release her as she was becoming a favorite and for some reason I figure killing her would kill morale too. Did one more mission before I had to log off and get the kids, but I couldn't switch to either Malcolm (On a Mission) or Maya (Guard Duty??? wtf, should work!) So I was forced to log off with the guy I had. If I log back on and I lose either one, especially Malcolm as he is a hand to hand dynamo and super leader to boot, i am going to literally cry like I was in the Feels Thread!

The Shift

Banned
Is there any info re Australian release date?

Have been home with the flu for two days and would have liked to play this but it still isn't available.

Alternatively, PC version being 6-8 months away is not cool.

I just took a potential trouble maker to a secluded location and shot him in the head :D

How do you do this? The devs said you can't kill survivors, unless they said that to keep story spoilers secret. And can we do this with any survivor? Is the option available after a certain point?

No major spoilers please

Reading this thread is REALLY making me want to play it.

I love the "How do I/How do you" posts. Reminds me a lot of Dark Souls early days discussions. Sounds like there is little handholding and you just figure shit out or depend on the community. LOVE shit like that. :D

Dark Souls is not a bad comparison. Not in terms of gameplay (combat is much more frenetic) but in terms of gameplay procedure.

So I got over 41 requests to throw a small tutorial together about the menu. Its fast, its basic and its without any script. But I explain some of the menu's and the 24 hour clock, show one of the special moves that seems to help new players the most and also cover some driving tactics and car control, and lastly I cover some bits about skills and how they matter so much regardless of their appearance as being fodder.

Its rough but here you go and I will be doing some more int he next couple days. I am also contacting the creators to see if they want to chime in with their own hints and tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9YKFza60WQ

It is probably not even super helpful(cept to newbies) but I am waiting for a reply from the creators to get them on board with some help videos and tip videos first.

Good shit! Thanks man

I'm at level 4 fighting and it says I can pick a melee specialty, but it wont let me pick one. What the hell. This game is great, but the lack of communication of the basic mechanics is just shameful.

Karak

Good shit! Thanks man

No problem. I really apologize for the quality. Normally I do a much better job but I am handling the MS news and am recording video for that and...well thats a big fucking deal so I need to concentrate. I will be doing more soon.

charsace

I drew 2 zombie hordes to the church base to witness the game's ultimate fail state. It was epic. You have to do it when the guy isn't in the watch tower because that dude is a beast with the rifle.

How are outposts set up?

I drew 2 zombie hordes to the church base to witness the game's ultimate fail state. It was epic. You have to do it when the guy isn't in the watch tower because that dude is a beast with the rifle.

How are outposts set up?

So what happened? How was it epic?

To set up an outpost, go to to any building, fully clear and search it, select option from radio

---
Do hordes later in the game get more varied or bigger and do special zombies get more common? I'm only up to the Jacob mission, but Ferals are rare and all hordes are only groups of eight to ten regular zombies

---
Anyone?
I just took a potential trouble maker to a secluded location and shot him in the head :D

How do you do this? The devs said you can't kill survivors, unless they said that to keep story spoilers secret.
Can we do this with any survivor?

No major spoilers please

Grisby

Man, this game is kinda shit technically. Tons of pop in and framerate stuff/tearing.

But I played it till the end of the demo. Got a couple questions. How long is the story/mission stuff? I was really impressed by how all of the survivors had unique dialog and when I killed off my character they even did a remembrance for him. One other deal, how big can the zombie hordes get?

I've got so many games on my plate I might wait this one out a bit but Stae of Decay seems like a damn fun game even with all of the technical hiccups.

charsace

So what happened? How was it epic?

To set up an outpost, go to to any building, fully clear and search it, select option from radio

---
Do hordes later in the game get more varied or do special zombies get more common? I'm only up to the Jacob mission, but Ferals are rare and all hordes only regular zombies

---
Anyone?

How do you do this? The devs said you can't kill survivors, unless they said that to keep story spoilers secret.
Can we do this with any survivor?

No major spoilers please
I ran into the hordes and ran them back to the compound. It was brutal. I stood back and watched as people were torn a part. There was one AI companion that I think said, "I need a hero," right before a mob tore'em to pieces.

Man, this game is kinda shit technically. Tons of pop in and framerate stuff/tearing.

But I played it till the end of the demo. Got a couple questions. How long is the story/mission stuff? I was really impressed by how all of the survivors had unique dialog and when I killed off my character they even did a remembrance for him. One other deal, how big can the zombie hordes get?

I've got so many games on my plate I might wait this one out a bit but Stae of Decay seems like a damn fun game even with all of the technical hiccups.
The game really isn't shit technically if you look past the graphics. Its open world, has great AI, and is procedurally generating things.

Garland7G

I'm at level 4 fighting and it says I can pick a melee specialty, but it wont let me pick one. What the hell. This game is great, but the lack of communication of the basic mechanics is just shameful.

I think its X to select them, highlight the skill and check the top of your journal, it'll say which button it is (its not A irrc)

Garland7G

its about 15 hours long if you do just the story missions, after its over, its over. It will bring you back to the title screen and let you continue from your last save kinda like mass effect 2-3

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Lost Marcus now as well. Think I might start over since I'm not that far along. I think it was a feral that killed me. Any tips against them?

Grisby

The game really isn't shit technically if you look past the graphics. Its open world, has great AI, and is procedurally generating things.
The game seems does seem like it's handling a lot but for me it was pretty rough. I'm not saying I didn't have a good time.
its about 15 hours long if you do just the story missions, after its over, its over. It will bring you back to the title screen and let you continue from your last save kinda like mass effect 2-3
Cool. Thanks. That seems like a lot of game. I was crouching damn near everywhere trying to pull off stealth kills.

PC gaming has really spoiled me, as this is a blurry blurry mess. The concept is sound, essentially a single player Day Z, though, the Z's aren't as abundant in number. I am enjoying it, but graphics are barely serviceable. Will keep digging in though.

The stutter and framerate are a little off putting. It's a shame such an ambitious project is marred by this much jank. Still having fun, though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Even if the framerate/tearing gets rough, I do agree that this game is actually pretty impressive technically. The game remembers car locations and health values, and it seems to keep blood all over them. The survivor AI is surprisingly good, and I also noticed early on when crossing the bridge that killing zombies in the water took their corpses downstream. For a smaller title, it's doing a lot.

Good news
UL just submitted Title Update 1

Hola fellow survivors. Just wanted you to know we submitted Title Update 1 to certification this afternoon.

Title Updates have to go through a "mini certification" process, so it will be a bit before these roll out, but we wanted to let you know what was coming. We expect the update to be available next week. We'll keep you posted as we have more specific information.

Here is what we've fixed:

• Workshop now repairs weapons and vehicles at game dawn rather than the next real-world day.
  • Reduced cooldown times of commands in the Radio Menu, notably Words of Encouragement, Words of Inspiration, and Medical Advice.
  • NPCs no longer get stuck behind the counter or on the stairs at the gun shop in Spencer's Mill.
  • The "Too many infestations!" event will now only occur when there are too many infestations within within 500m of your Home, rather than anywhere in the world.
  • The "Too many infestations" to-do item is now cleared when there are fewer than three infestations within 500m of your Home, rather than anywhere in the world.
  • You must now be close to the ranger station for the Memento mission scene to play. Previously you would be teleported to the station if you left before the end of the mission.
  • Community members will properly interact with Facilities in your home. Previously they would stop after a period of time.
  • Feral zombie now properly dodges vehicles approaching at an angle.
  • NPCs will now reliably reach warehouse between Mt. Tanner and Spencer's Mill when called to gather supplies.
  • You can now punch out through the windshield of a vehicle if both doors are blocked.
  • Zombies and NPCs no longer get stuck behind the grocery store in Marshall.
  • NPCs now properly move to the proper location during cinematic scenes.
  • Zombies no longer fall through floor in the Marshall courthouse.
  • Zombies can no longer get under porch or floor at the Wilkerson's farmhouse.
  • Fixed a few rare crash bugs.
  • Fixed various translations bugs.

Even if the framerate/tearing gets rough, I do agree that this game is actually pretty impressive technically. The game remembers car locations and health values, and it seems to keep blood all over them. The survivor AI is surprisingly good, and I also noticed early on when crossing the bridge that killing zombies in the water took their corpses downstream. For a smaller title, it's doing a lot.

Yeah there's a pretty crazy amount of systems going on in this game. If it were a little prettier, and had multiplayer/co-op, it could be a $60 title.

Good news

Good to hear. Are there going to be many TU's like Minecraft?

I love the idea of a studio focusing solely on Zombie games.

Karak

The game seems does seem like it's handling a lot but for me it was pretty rough. I'm not saying I didn't have a good time.

Cool. Thanks. That seems like a lot of game. I was crouching damn near everywhere trying to pull off stealth kills.

No hyperbole here. I have a save over 70 hours. ITs that fucking big and I have yet to really feel like the awesome is wearing off.

I think its X to select them, highlight the skill and check the top of your journal, it'll say which button it is (its not A irrc)

It's not even showing me the choices. When I hit level 4 it removed the stickey saying I had to be level 4 to pick one. It now lets me highlight the option, but won't give me any choices. If I have to hit a certain point in the game before it does that, you'd think it would say that.

Lost Marcus now as well. Think I might start over since I'm not that far along. I think it was a feral that killed me. Any tips against them?

What has 4 wheels and goes beep beep.

Ok, just got done with my first beginners guide video. I started trying to cover everything I thought about at work today and I just felt like I was going overboard and the video would turn into a full blown 30 minute event. lol

*just noticed Karaks video* I'd say with both these videos, you guys should have plenty to know before diving in.

Papercuts

It's not even showing me the choices. When I hit level 4 it removed the stickey saying I had to be level 4 to pick one. It now lets me highlight the option, but won't give me any choices. If I have to hit a certain point in the game before it does that, you'd think it would say that.

It lists the specializations on the main screen of all the stats, not within the specific one.

Question: Where do I go to gather materials to make a sleeping area? I only have 2 bits.

This game is dangerously addicting. I just spent 5 hours non-stop because of the real-time anxiety and wanting to have an all around team levelled up rather than Marcus be the best. Properly getting into outpost stuff.

Did anyone encounter the Jacob mission? Kinda cool he has a
gay relationship
. Does that ever evolve?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah car would be great if I was near one. Once I got jumped on I was done :lol Need to dodge more I guess.

Papercuts

Question: Where do I go to gather materials to make a sleeping area? I only have 2 bits.

This game is dangerously addicting. I just spent 5 hours non-stop because of the real-time anxiety and wanting to have an all around team levelled up rather than Marcus be the best. Properly getting into outpost stuff.

Did anyone encounter the Jacob mission? Kinda cool he has a
gay relationship
. Does that ever evolve?

Materials is just a single resource. You can use the radio tower to pinpoint locations.

Karak

Ok, just got done with my first beginners guide video. I started trying to cover everything I thought about at work today and I just felt like I was going overboard and the video would turn into a full blown 30 minute event. lol

*just noticed Karaks video* I'd say with both these videos, you guys should have plenty to know before diving in.

TRUUUUST me. Yours I have no doubt is better. I just got flooded with request to make a down and dirty. So I covered some menu stuff, car stuff, and general bits and it was right when the MS news hit so I had to do something for that.

TRUUUUST me. Yours I have no doubt is better. I just got flooded with request to make a down and dirty. So I covered some menu stuff, car stuff, and general bits and it was right when the MS news hit so I had to do something for that.

I enjoyed yours. I just mostly talk about the character ideas and base essentials. I didn't cover driving, or in detail the different homes you can find later, etc. There is just so much to the game. I might make an advanced guide later after I've played more. Either way people have plenty to watch now for a guide thanks the both of us.

SummitAve

Banned
Had to go out in the middle of nowhere and rescue one of my scavengers. I was a couple hits too late and ended up watching her get literally ripped in half... :( I had just leveled her way up too. Really enjoying it so far. Hoping the update helps the framerate a bit, makes driving really risky and I like to drive fast.

Game IS addicting. It really has that one more mission, one more bonus, access the hoarder inside me mentality that makes games like Fallout and Skyrim so fun.

And I don't hear enough about how wonderful the day/night cycle is. I think every open-world game must have this (hopes this echoes all the way across the ocean to From for Dark Souls II). The lighting and the sky are so breath-taking at dusk, and that chill that comes over you when the suns goes down and the tremendous relief when the light first leaks into the sky. Awesome.

So I got over 41 requests to throw a small tutorial together about the menu. Its fast, its basic and its without any script. But I explain some of the menu's and the 24 hour clock, show one of the special moves that seems to help new players the most and also cover some driving tactics and car control, and lastly I cover some bits about skills and how they matter so much regardless of their appearance as being fodder.

Its rough but here you go and I will be doing some more int he next couple days. I am also contacting the creators to see if they want to chime in with their own hints and tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9YKFza60WQ

It is probably not even super helpful(cept to newbies) but I am waiting for a reply from the creators to get them on board with some help videos and tip videos first.

Good work man. Great video. I'd quite like to do one, but it'd probably turn into a love letter to the game than actually anything useful.

Game has hit over 200k on the Leaderboards.

Bloody amazing. UDL must be crazy happy to see it doing so well. Blow off a hookers boobs happy? I,think so...

Good news

Excellent update. Let's hope MS don't become dicks of UDL decide they need to release more than one patch/update.

Anyone find any use for the notes? I found one that mentions a bunch of guns, ammo, and food were thrown into the river. I don't know whether I should bother searching.

I'm guessing some are for loot, but some I'm guessing are for using in the Post Office? Like the memorial ones to send regards to their families or to give notes to someone?

Good work man. Great video. I'd quite like to do one, but it'd probably turn into a love letter to the game than actually anything useful.

Bloody amazing. UDL must be crazy happy to see it doing so well. Blow off a hookers boobs happy? I,think so...

Excellent update. Let's hope MS don't become dicks of UDL decide they need to release more than one patch/update.

With sales like this, it's only behind Minecraft as the best day-one sales in XBLA history. I believe before it was Trials Evolution with about 100k in 24 hours. This game sold about 130k in 24hrs. So I don't think MS will be dicks about anything

Oh and just for some perspective, Ubisoft's Far Cry Blood Dragon sold 200k...in four weeks

Trigger

Lost my first survivor. I took him on a storyline mission:
to go get the doctor. I was mowing down most of the zeds until I had two big boys left. I tried to kill them with a car, and my poor guy got ripped in half while trying to retreat after that failed. :,(

I think I'll ignore the story missions now in favor of just scavenging and leveling up my survivors. My gut tells me the big boys will become normal enemies sometime after the doctor mission if it's completed.

Maya and Marcus are still the heads of my little tribe. It's crazy how effective survivors get the longer they live.

With sales like this, it's only behind Minecraft as the best day-one sales in XBLA history. I believe before it was Trials Evolution with about 100k in 24 hours. This game sold about 130k in 24hrs. So I don't think MS will be dicks about anything

Oh and just for some perspective, Ubisoft's Far Cry Blood Dragon sold 200k...in four weeks

I hope so man, I really do. MS would be crazy not to give UDL as much freedom as is required to update the game, this could be a big IP for them going forward, but only if they don't burn the developers as they have done with some in the past.

And goddamn, I had no idea Blood Dragon sold 200k in 4 weeks, was expecting it to have a lot more. Still very impressive though.

Got home and played this for the first time last night and completely loved it.

Can't wait to play more.

Another one joins the fold. Welcome, an IV will be provided if required. Commodes are also available upon request, but we here at SoD addicts and proud suggest adult diapers for those prolonged sessions.

Lost my first survivor. I took him on a storyline mission:
to go get the doctor. I was mowing down most of the zeds until I had two big boys left. I tried to kill them with a car, and my poor guy got ripped in half while trying to retreat after that failed. :,(

I think I'll ignore the story missions now in favor of just scavenging and leveling up my survivors. My gut tells me the big boys will become normal enemies sometime after the doctor mission if it's completed.

Maya and Marcus are still the heads of my little tribe. It's crazy how effective survivors get the longer they live.

It's obviously too late now, but if you try that mission again, stock up on firebombs and throw them at those barrels that are littered around the front and side of the house. They are essentially explosive barrels and do a heck of a lot of damage to the big bastards.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
How many outposts are permitted? Also, what are the ramifications of getting a new home? Will the original base be forgotten/not used (feel free to use spoiler tags)?

Top Bottom