• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

How many outposts are permitted? Also, what are the ramifications of getting a new home? Will the original base be forgotten/not used (feel free to use spoiler tags)?

I'd like to know as well, I intend to expand today and would like to know what happens to old bases when you upgrade.

Trigger

It's obviously too late now, but if you try that mission again, stock up on firebombs and throw them at those barrels that are littered around the front and side of the house. They are essentially explosive barrels and do a heck of a lot of damage to the big bastards.

Oh thanks, I didn't notice that. Truth be told, I think the real issue is that I was pretty poorly armed for a fight.

Oh thanks, I didn't notice that. Truth be told, I think the real issue is that I was pretty poorly armed for a fight.

You can get through with just firebombs, as the zombies almost always attack in a group and getting them all with just one firebomb can be done but it's also possible you miss entirely and you end up screaming, running for your life as standing and fighting just isn't an option...

If you've happened across one, a crowbar will be very handy in that fight.

Any word on how far away is the PC release? I might bite (heh) on 360 if it’s 2months+

Karak suggested 6-8 months.

If you want to keep abreast of all the developments for the PC version, check this thread every so often.

http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?294-7-5-Announcement-PC-Version/page63

Here's an update for the German release,

Hallo SoD fans in Germany,

I just received notification that SoD 1.1 for German distribution is in formal certification. This means the machine has been fully cranked up to get it to you. As always with certification we don't get an estimated completion date, but our MS contacts have expressed confidence it will go quickly.

I know the delay sucks. Hang in there.

Jeff

man, I almost lost two survivors today. I was clearing out an infestation as marcus with sam. I decided to try out that
airstrike perk
but it created such a noise that it attracted a horde and a feral to our location. it was pure luck that both survived it.

So I went back up to the ranger's station on a mission for Lily. Ended up finding a bunch of construction materials(and zed's) on the way, and by the time I got there I was already fatigued. I was sneak killing as many bastards trying to get close to the infested ranger's station, when I notice a fat bastard tooling around the parking lot. Said fuck that and went around front. Kicked the door in and threw a petrol bomb, and pulled out my ak47(thank you random survivor inventory) and started popping heads. God damn. After so much sneaking and careful meleeing, getting to unload with some real firepower is SO damn intense... then came the two screamers and fat boy and I said to hell with Lily's dad's watch. My fatigue was under half a bar at that point and I really didn't want to lose a survivor so I started to leave Mt Tanner, but turns out that mission is bugged and it auto-completes if you leave - lol thank god. Unfortunately I'm now back at home base and my moral is shit and it's 4am and I don't wanna go to bed and wake up to find Marcus or YogaPants dead in their sleep. :x

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How many outposts are permitted? Also, what are the ramifications of getting a new home? Will the original base be forgotten/not used (feel free to use spoiler tags)?

Amount of outposts depends on the home base, i.e. the church only allows 4(they've shown as slots on the base screen). When you move the old area is abandoned completely but still is shown as a potential base to re-setup if you want.

aku:jiki

What the... My game froze yesterday and today, and some weird shit's been happening. I didn't lose my save or progress but they've gobbled up an enormous amount of materials (I went from 300+ food and 70 building to 116 food and 2 building, WTF?!), my influence went from 1100 to 200, my morale halved from 100%, I had 200+ snacks in my supply locker and now I have 5 (!) and not all characters have been fully rested. The one good thing that happened is that all my parked cars were fully fixed even though I don't have the upgrade for that (you need a 2nd upgrade to fix busted doors etc).

Also, my outpost circles are now 1/3 as large as they should be and a runner I just sent one block down the street from my base just spawned wayyyy the fuck up by the broken bridge by the mountain and isn't moving. WTF, this freeze broke my game!

Did anyone encounter the Jacob mission? Kinda cool he has a
gay relationship
. Does that ever evolve?
Awwwww shit! My Jacob randomly died for no particular reason (which seems to happen annoyingly often). That means I'm fucked out of the Wilkerson's achievement, doesn't it? :(

I saw this earlier and bought it without realizing there was no online play :(

It's still a great, great game. Don't let the lack of online put you off playing the best zombie sim game ever.

theyll add it

Would be nice, but I won't miss it if it's not added. I can wait for Class 4.

I really don't see this happening. I think we'll see a SoD 2 before we see a co-op proper.

It could happen, the game has been a roaring success, so it's entirely possible they'll add co-op considering there's a lot of demand for it.

What the... My game froze yesterday and today, and some weird shit's been happening. I didn't lose my save or progress but they've gobbled up an enormous amount of materials (I went from 300+ food and 70 building to 116 food and 2 building, WTF?!), my influence went from 1100 to 200, my morale halved from 100%, I had 200+ snacks in my supply locker and now I have 5 (!) and not all characters have been fully rested. The one good thing that happened is that all my parked cars were fully fixed even though I don't have the upgrade for that (you need a 2nd upgrade to fix busted doors etc).

Also, my outpost circles are now 1/3 as large as they should be and a runner I just sent one block down the street from my base just spawned wayyyy the fuck up by the broken bridge by the mountain and isn't moving. WTF, this freeze broke my game!

Oh man, that sounds terrible. Report the issue on the forums, hopefully they'll be able to address the problem in their next patch.

http://forums.undeadlabs.com/forumdisplay.php?15-State-of-Decay-Bugs

I really don't see this happening. I think we'll see a SoD 2 before we see a co-op proper.
From the official FAQ:
Q: Will State of Decay have co-op gameplay?

A: Not at launch. Class4 is an online world, and our hope is to offer the multiplayer options (that we have to develop for Class4) for State of Decay at a later date.

Q: What happened to coop mode? Will this game have multiplayer?

A: Those of you who are new to the community and just want to know if State of Decay will have multiplayer: Not at launch. Please stick around, though
smile.png

BELIEVE
please :(

Is there any way to save
Pastor Nick
?
No. He dies in everyone's game from what I've read on different forum and message boards. The only difference is whether he brings anyone down with him when he dies.

From the official FAQ:

A: Not at launch. Class4 is an online world, and our hope is to offer the multiplayer options (that we have to develop for Class4) for State of Decay at a later date.

A: Those of you who are new to the community and just want to know if State of Decay will have multiplayer: Not at launch. Please stick around, though
smile.png

BELIEVE

I think it will happen. There's a lot of demand for it on their forum and with the success the game has found, I feel they'll be looking at ways to implement co-op in the PC verson and see if it works well enough to be patched into the 360 version.

Just a guess on my part.

From the official FAQ:

smile.png

BELIEVE

No. He dies in everyone's game from what I've read on different forum and message boards. The only difference is whether he brings anyone down with him when he dies.

Oh, I know what they've said. I've been following this project for over 2 years. I just don't realistically see co-op mode actually happening. It's much more likely that anything that is mutliplayer focused will be folded over into their next game.

Oh man, that sounds terrible. Report the issue on the forums, hopefully they'll be able to address the problem in their next patch.

http://forums.undeadlabs.com/forumdisplay.php?15-State-of-Decay-Bugs
I will post about it later. Thankfully, though, I've been able to repair most of the damage caused. I could go and manually coax my glitched runner back home and I've found some materials to help refill my stock.

Outposts are still broken though. When I played previously, a cleared house would have a small red circle so long as its still clear, while an outpost would have a large circle. My outposts are stuck having small circles now, and new ones don't fix it. I think the game kinda-sorta thinks I have a base in both towns now too; it's starting to activate a bunch of neighbor missions in the old town whereas yesterday it would only alert me of things happening in my current town... That's kind of a drag.

Oh, I know what they've said. I've been following this project for over 2 years. I just don't realistically see co-op mode actually happening. It's much more likely that anything that is multiplayer focused will be folded over into their next game.
Yeah I actually can't imagine a full-pledged co-op mode being added to what we have right now either, in terms of how the community side of things would work with drop-in/drop-out co-op, since all players have different bases and survivors in their own game, how would the game progress be saved after a co-op session?
What I CAN see happening though, is probably just another player dropping into your game and take control over one of the survivors at your base, and the two of you just play the game like a zombie beat'em up, which would still be fun, but probably doesn't have the same survival flair and management elements as the singleplayer.

The devs should definitely attempt to fix the performance issues before adding any form of multiplayer. I don't even want to imagine how this game would run with multiple players at once.

I'm not really expecting the promise of multiplayer to happen anyway, since these promises really end up amounting to anything. Double Dragon Neon was promised to get online multiplayer and it never did - and this was a game that already had local multiplayer at least.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The devs should definitely attempt to fix the performance issues before adding any form of multiplayer. I don't even want to imagine how this game would run with multiple players at once.

I'm not really expecting the promise of multiplayer to happen anyway, since these promises really end up amounting to anything. Double Dragon Neon was promised to get online multiplayer and it never did - and this was a game that already had local multiplayer at least.

Did DDN sell as well as SoD? That could be why they didn't follow up.

Mafro

Project Zomboid and Dead State guys have to be crying right now playing this game. This game just made it real hard for the other 2 and I am a guy that like Zomboid.
Yeah this is pretty much the game I was wanting from Project Zomboid. While that game is still in alpha and development crawls along, I'll enjoy this in the meantime.

Drachma

Banned
Went into GAME yesterday and saw ads for this in the 360 section. First time I've seen an arcade title advertised in stores since Minecraft.

But yeah, planning on getting some moon bucks on the way home from work today to get this tonight, looks well nice.

Bit concerned about the game world that carries on without you when you're not playing though. Is there any way to turn that off or anything? I can probably live with it, but I'd prefer a more "controlled" experience if possible.

OrangeOak

This game is awesome but so confusing.
I turned it off with over 200+ food suplies and now I have only 35.It says that my camp is using -15 supplies every day.Is it game day or 24h in real life?I got message today that I survived another day so it's probably real life day because it's my first message and I played for about 10hours.
Also why there are items missing from my locker?Is it because other people from camp can use them?
And how can I build storage,it says that my supplies won't survive over night and I need storage but I don't know how to build it.
Good thing is that I managed to repair my first car. :)

I turned it off with over 200+ food suplies and now I have only 35.It says that my camp is using -15 supplies every day.Is it game day or 24h in real life?I got message today that I survived another day so it's probably real life day because it's my first message and I played for about 10hours.
Also why there are items missing from my locker?Is it because other people from camp can use them?
And how can I build storage,it says that my supplies won't survive over night and I need storage but I don't know how to build it.

Survivors sometimes go on trade missions, it could be that food was traded for another resource you were lacking. It could also be a bug or something tho, but I haven't noticed any substantial hits my supplies after a 10 hour down time.

I'll keep a note of what my resources are tonight and see how drastically they fall tomorrow afternoon.

So, is there really anything to be done at all to find a missing survivor that isn't getting a "missing survivor" quest? My researcher has been gone since forever... Glitch or am I supposed to wait for a quest to turn up?

Sounds like we're glitch buddies, man. :(

I woke up to having my supplies fucking decimated today too. 300 food was 100, several hundred items in my supply locker were gone (most notably 200+ snacks), 100% morale was at 50%, 3 survivors had died and my outposts are now permanently broken. Something is seriously wrong with the persistent world code...

Thankfully, resources aren't as big of a deal as they first seem, so long as you stay vigilant with looting everything in sight. I've all but repaired all the overnight damage now.

Survivors sometimes go on trade missions, it could be that food was traded for another resource you were lacking. It could also be a bug or something tho, but I haven't noticed any substantial hits my supplies after a 10 hour down time.

I'll keep a note of what my resources are tonight and see how drastically they fall tomorrow afternoon.

From UL forums:
State of Decay is a persistent world game. What that means is that time continues to pass when you are not online.

If you left:

- your community in pretty good shape, morale wise, and
- cars in parking spaces near your base and food in the kitchen,
- weapons in need of repair in the lockers near your workbench,
- and sufficient time has passed,

You will come back and find that people are happy, repaired cars and weapons, and possibly some new stuff from the things your survivors did while you weren't there. Their lives continue, as independently as you saw them living when you were online.

If you left:

- Morale sliding, and
- Too many infestations (please note, we're ACTIVELY working on a change where we reduce how much square footage is considered in this calculation to make it a little less...insane...), and
- Vaguely ominous warnings about someone looking sick, and
- Not enough beds for people to sleep in,

You will come back to find the shit has hit the fan.

It continues on the path you set.

PLEASE NOTE: The pace of progression slows the longer you are offline. If you are offline for one day, you will see a pretty sizable chunk of change. If you are offline for two, you'll see a bit more than that. But the difference between a week and a month is minor. We expect that our players are adults, and adults sometimes need to be away from a game for months at a time.

Someone on the UL forums explained what happened to my outposts, anyway... For some random reason, they need to be upgraded every day. You just use the upgrade feature on one of the outposts and all of them go back to normal. Costs 1 fuel and 1 influence, so obviously not a big deal, but definitely one of those obtuse things the game never explains and that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Got a friend who primarily plays games on his Japanese account, if he buys the game in the US XBLA Store with an US account, will the game work when he switches back to his JP account?

So, is there really anything to be done at all to find a missing survivor that isn't getting a "missing survivor" quest? My researcher has been gone since forever... Glitch or am I supposed to wait for a quest to turn up?

I had Caitlin go missing, the quest to find her didn't pop up tho, i instead I had to check the map, found her almost straight way. So check the map, I guess.

If that's a bust, could be a bug or maybe they've died?

From UL forums:

Ah, thanks for that.

Got a friend who primarily plays games on his Japanese account, if he buys the game in the US XBLA Store with an US account, will the game work when he switches back to his JP account?

I think it should, but he might have trouble downloading it due to the region locking. I think he may have to use a proxy to both start the download and to finish it, but the region locking may be exclusive to GoD titles and doesn't affect XBLA titles.

I guess he could try to download the trial, if that works he shouldn't have a problem buying the game.

ekim

Went into GAME yesterday and saw ads for this in the 360 section. First time I've seen an arcade title advertised in stores since Minecraft.

But yeah, planning on getting some moon bucks on the way home from work today to get this tonight, looks well nice.

Bit concerned about the game world that carries on without you when you're not playing though. Is there any way to turn that off or anything? I can probably live with it, but I'd prefer a more "controlled" experience if possible.

You may be able to set the time of your console back to when you left. :p

RustyO

Is there anyway to take a buddy with you? I seem to do a lot of solo missions; and am always relying on one active person at any time.

Marcus hurt his back opening a door at the church as soon as we got there for crying out loud!

Not sure; but I did sign up for a US account to get this, demo first; then purchase, and I'm in Australia.

Yeah, all XBLA games are region free and can be played by any profile housed on the same console as the license is on (i.e. the one it was purchased on, or transfered to). And if the license isn't on there, it can still be played on any console as long as the owner profile is signed on controller 1. A second profile can launch the game on controller 2 and it'll launch that profile's saves, settings, achievements and act like a full version.

No worries in playing this game if it's not out in your country yet.

Yeah, all XBLA games are region free and can be played by any profile housed on the same console as the license is on (i.e. the one it was purchased on, or transfered to). And if the license isn't on there, it can still be played on any console as long as the owner profile is signed on controller 1. A second profile can launch the game on controller 2 and it'll launch that profile's saves, settings, achievements and act like a full version.

No worries in playing this game if it's not out in your country yet.

Excellent. sorry for the misinformation earlier. GoD titles are region locked, but I often forget that it's only limited to those titles.

Trigger

If I max trust with another band of survivors will they join me? I've been helping out these three local dudes consistently for awhile now.

Marcus hurt his back opening a door at the church as soon as we got there for crying out loud!

Wat. That can actually happen?

Thanks Miles, RustyO and aku:jiki for the replies, I'll go ahead to tell him it's okay to get the game. I've been pimping this game like crazy on a Hong Kong gaming forum since SoD came out, spreading the love to players in Asia who might not have heard of the game before, including myself.

Is there anyway to take a buddy with you? I seem to do a lot of solo missions; and am always relying on one active person at any time.
No there isn't. But occasionally some of the survivors offer up mission opportunities and you can take this time to go exploring with them, you don't have to head straight to the mission objective area.

Your base can only hold a certain number of supplies. There is no point in getting 200 of something because there is no place to store it. The church for example has a max of 25 for food. Anymore will be gone after a day.

If I max trust with another band of survivors will they join me? I've been helping out these three local dudes consistently for awhile now.

Wat. That can actually happen?
Yes if you max trust, they can join your group and one or more will become a friend, allowing you to play as more characters.
And I have characters with cracked ribs, broken legs, etc.
---

Question:
The devs said you can't kill survivors, unless they said that to keep story spoilers secret. But I read on an earlier page of people saying you can mercy kill? Is the option available after a certain point? Can it be done with any survivor? Then someone said they took a potential troublemaker for a drive and killed him. True?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Your base can only hold a certain number of supplies. There is no point in getting 200 of something because there is no place to store it. The church for example has a max of 25 for food. Anymore will be gone after a day.

Yeah, if you find extra food just keep it in the building for a later retrieval.

Should get a cheivo for that, shiiiiiit.
Haha, luckily I was packing a lot of petrol bombs. Otherwise I would have been a goner. Never had too specials attack me at once before. D:

Yes if you max trust, they can join your group and one or more will become a friend, allowing you to play as more characters.
And I have characters with cracked ribs, broken legs, etc.
---

Question:
The devs said you can't kill survivors, unless they said that to keep story spoilers secret. But I read on an earlier page of people saying you can mercy kill? Is the option available after a certain point? Can it be done with any survivor? Then someone said they took a potential troublemaker for a drive and killed him. True?
Mercy kills happen randomly I think. They'll appear as missions at your home base. I've had to take two of my survivors out to the pastures and put them down.

chris121580

So one thing I recommend is before you switch to a different character, empty all the items the current character has into your supply locker and then when you switch to the new character grab whatever you need. I find this works out really well and is an easy way to manage the inventory

Top Bottom