• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

abundant

Mercy kills happen randomly I think. They'll appear as missions at your home base. I've had to take two of my survivors out to the pastures and put them down.

Yep, they are a random mission. If someone gets sick, there's a chance that a message will pop up stating that you need to handle this situation quickly before something goes wrong.

Yep, they are a random mission. If someone gets sick, there's a chance that a message will pop up stating that you need to handle this situation quickly before something goes wrong.

Seriously wish they'd make this a lot clearer though.

Someone got ill in my camp, and there seemed to be no option to help him - then when I was venturing out I got a message in the journal saying he had turned and taken two others with him.

For a game that relies so much on the fear of death/permanent scenarios, you'd think that they'd at least throw the player a bone.

So one thing I recommend is before you switch to a different character, empty all the items the current character has into your supply locker and then when you switch to the new character grab whatever you need. I find this works out really well and is an easy way to manage the inventory

I thought this was common logic, but yeah do that cause then you can continue your weapon and item loadout on the next run.

Akira_83

Banned
watched the quick look on giantbomb

i thought i was gonna be jealous as a PS3 only gamer because i love zombies games

but dat jank. like on a whole other level than even Dead Island. When you climb ladders in groups everyone is just crawling right through eachother, vehicle physics look whack, he literally walked through the bed of an overturned truck

the animations look janky too

i guess an interesting game, but way too rough around the edges to care

So one thing I recommend is before you switch to a different character, empty all the items the current character has into your supply locker and then when you switch to the new character grab whatever you need. I find this works out really well and is an easy way to manage the inventory

Is the amount of influence you receive for putting an item into the supply locker the same as the amount you have deducted for taking it out? Just curious whether you'll end up with a net loss on influence by swapping gear like this.

Trigger

i thought i was gonna be jealous as a PS3 only gamer because i love zombies games

but dat jank. like on a whole other level than even Dead Island. When you climb ladders in groups everyone is just crawling right through eachother, vehicle physics look whack, he literally walked through the bed of an overturned truck

It's not nearly as bad once you start playing it.

RustyO

Is the amount of influence you receive for putting an item into the supply locker the same as the amount you have deducted for taking it out? Just curious whether you'll end up with a net loss on influence by swapping gear like this.

From what I can see/tell so far it is an equal ratio. Others can confirm/refute.

Just for anyone that might have missed it or is new to the game. Karak and myself made some good tutorials/beginners guides with some great info. They also might want to get posted in the main post since this stuff will help a lot of people out who have questions. I can't tell you how many times I've been streaming and needing to help people. Lots of interest in this game.

SlasherJPC beginners guide video

Karak https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9YKFza60WQ

Also someone mentioned earlier there guns were missing from the supply storage. The AI will take and equip things in your inventory you have stocked up. Simple switch to them if they are friendly and have them put it back in. If they are not friends with you, you will have to wait.

It's janky as fuck but equally as fun.

mokeyjoe

As a PS3 only gamer you keep telling yourself that ;)

It's janky in a GTA San Andreas kind of way. I had a lot of fun with that.

MYeager

It's rough. I've seen zombies clip through walls, there's screen tearing, pop-in, clipping, slowdown, etc.

But most of that falls into the background as you play. As a fan of zombie movies and the genre, this is the kind of game I wanted someone to make. Your own stories develop organically from this sandbox they've created. While I'd obviously hope for some issues to possibly be addressed via patch, it's an interesting game and I'd rather play an interesting rough game than a bland well produced one any day.

Karak

Thanks Slasher as always!

So I didn't go to bed and balloned my friggen save up 10 more hours.

I finally got some survivors to last for a couple hours.

Last nights harrowing story involved running across fields with no life and no stamina from 2 fat bastards and some ferals. I finally found safety on a rooftop with the zombies all around me...no where to go.
So I decided to switch out of that character to another one and come and help them.
I returned to the scene of the crime...it was a friggen nightmare...but there stood my character stomping the head of the last zombie, something I don't think I would have lived through had I been in command of the character. We ran back to base together. BRAVO little camper.

I actually let out a little "woohooo" that scared my dogs when I saw them alive.

sunnz

Yea this has some...issues but nothing too bad and at the end of day, it is THE RIGHT step in the direction of zombie games we all want ( well, most of us)

Plus is it just an arcade game, so it is understandable, the PC version should fix some of the issues ( performance related and if it's moddable.... oh god. Would be EPIC).

It's rough. I've seen zombies clip through walls, there's screen tearing, pop-in, clipping, slowdown, etc.

But most of that falls into the background as you play. As a fan of zombie movies and the genre, this is the kind of game I wanted someone to make. Your own stories develop organically from this sandbox they've created. While I'd obviously hope for some issues to possibly be addressed via patch, it's an interesting game and I'd rather play an interesting rough game than a bland well produced one any day.

Yep, it's an incredible and the level of ambition and sense of scale makes the jank easily forgiveable.

I mean let's not forget, it's the first game from an indie start up, it's an incredible achievement and one that needs to be applauded. I'm sure their next game will be a lot more refined, tweaked, etc.

Honestly, no game comes close to offering the same experience that's available here.

Thanks Slasher as always!

No problem, quick story question for you since you have beaten it. Minor spoilers. So... I'm trying to gauge how far in the story I am. I just started doing missions for the mayor place. Last one I did was taking down infestations with the sheriff. Am I still fairly early or am I getting close to halfway?

I got overconfident. I thought I was a badass zombie killing machine. I was rescuing a survivor at the restrooms near the Kirkman base. In the narrow alley between the wall and building, I fought a horde. I was handling it. My stamina was depleted and I had little health left, but the horde was dead.

And the a feral blindsided. I knocked it off once, but I was spent. There was no time to take painkillers as three more zombies attacked me. I took them down and then the feral tackled me again.

I tapped the button to escape like crazy but when I saw the feral pick me up, I knew it was over.

And then Marcus was torn in half. I actually went "No!", I don't think any game has made me react like that

abundant

Last nights harrowing story involved running across fields with no life and no stamina from 2 fat bastards and some ferals. I finally found safety on a rooftop with the zombies all around me...no where to go.
So I decided to switch out of that character to another one and come and help them.
I returned to the scene of the crime...it was a friggen nightmare...but there stood my character stomping the head of the last zombie, something I don't think I would have lived through had I been in command of the character. We ran back to base together. BRAVO little camper.

I actually let out a little "woohooo" that scared my dogs when I saw them alive.

One of the most unique things about this game is how it's always fluctuating between high and low moments. One moment has you with a high moral, lots of survivors and supplies and then the next moment, your moral is dropping and people go missing/die.

Last night, my moral was at rock bottom, I had 9 survivors left, 2 of which were missing, but an hour later, it all changes. My Moral is high, I find the missing survivors and I save two more survivors, bringing my count up to 11 survivors.

Trigger

So to build trust with other camps I know you can do missions for them, but is there a quicker way? I tried putting items in the supply locker at their base, but it didn't seem to change anything.

Just how big exactly is the Undead Labs team? Their Linkedin page listed the Company Size as "Myself Only". I read somewhere (might have been this very thread here) that the team includes around 20 people? Any confirmation on that?

Regardless, the game is still a mighty impressive effort by a relatively small indie team, and the technical issues aren't even remotely game-breaking, which I'm willing to look past, with this being their first game and all.

-skip-
And then Marcus was torn in half. I actually went "No!", I don't think any game has made me react like that
I think these moments are literally worse than Dark Souls. In DS at least you don't lose character progression. But in SoD once your leveled up character is dead, he's gone for good.

lol

Really getting sick of Ed's bullshit. Had to take him on a walk 5 or 6 times already and he still bitches.

Some people are better off dead.

Karak

No problem, quick story question for you since you have beaten it. Minor spoilers. So... I'm trying to gauge how far in the story I am. I just started doing missions for the mayor place. Last one I did was taking down infestations with the sheriff. Am I still fairly early or am I getting close to halfway?

You are definantly getting farther on. The one issue I have/had with the game is that the random missions, for my first play-through, many times felt like story missions without cut-scenes but then you DO have cut-scenes for like sometimes when a person dies. So It all blends into one and makes it damn difficult to place what happens when. For example sometimes there is no real main mission then 3 one right after another. BUt you are indeed farther along.

Just how big exactly is the Undead Labs team? Their Linkedin page listed the Company Size as "Myself Only". I read somewhere (might have been this very thread here) that the team includes around 20 people? Any confirmation on that?

Regardless, the game is still a mighty impressive effort by a relatively small indie team, and the technical issues aren't even remotely game-breaking, which I'm willing to look past, with this being their first game and all.

I think these moments are literally worse than Dark Souls. In DS at least you don't lose character progression. But in SoD once your leveled up character is dead, he's gone for good.
Undead Labs is only 22 people. Quite an achievement for a small team
---

And yeah the thing with Dark Souls is that you always feel overwhelmed and thus always play cautiously and enemy placement is always the same.

Here, you can easily get overconfident and then like me, end up with no stamina or a broken weapon at the worst possible moment. Talk about mood whiplash

Plus, the world is randomized so you never know when a feral or big one is going to come and f#@$ up your day

Karak

It starts to hit morale hard.

I talk about in my youtube from last night and in the review. One of the hardest hitters for moral is a bad beds to people ratio. And if you have 1 angry person you need to find someone with a counseling skill because if you accidentally get another angry person. You are talking WALKING DEAD type anarchy.

Sice of Undead Labs is only 22 but growing.

Also FUCK ED.

I talk about in my youtube from last night and in the review. One of the hardest hitters for moral is a bad beds to people ratio. And if you have 1 angry person you need to find someone with a counseling skill because if you accidentally get another angry person. You are talking WALKING DEAD type anarchy.

Also FUCK ED.
So is there any difference between using someone with good counseling skills vs someone without during one of these Moral Issue missions?

man, ed has been behaving in my game. I only had to take him out on one walk. jacob on the other hand.....

honestly, I work hard to keep all of my survivors alive even if I'm not a big fan of them. so far, I'm going a good job of it.

aku:jiki

I was a huge fan of heavy weapons, especially the large axe, but I think I've fallen in love with the broadsword. Slash, slash, limbs flying! Can I get a katana?

Also, new favorite survivor is Jennifer. Love the army boots/pants/cap and...bright pink sweater combo.
And dat ass.

Edit: Noooo! The broadsword breaks super fast! :mad:

Me vs a big bastard, an armoured zombie and a horde all at once. Still managed to survive. Had an NPC to help, luckily.

I pretty much only play as Marcus right now, just pump him full of coffee whenever he gets tired. I need to start taking other characters out.

And with low moral, people start to go missing, meaning you can't use them until you get the mission to go and find them. It really sucks when your high leveled character goes missing.

Huh, I was fortunate enough to only have one character go missing before I built some more bedding accommodation.

Also FUCK ED.

Oh man, I can't wait for some epic throwdowns. I can't believe I've been playing for at least 30hrs and it's still managing to surprise me.

This game.

I'm surprised there isn't more talk going on in this thread. Guessing since it only availible on one console for the moment. I see a re-surge once the PC version finally releases.

ekim

Played some hours and I now have resources for about 3 days and no one died. Do people, when they are not at home bring stuff like weapons and resources? What's the difference between them being on a mission and simply not at home?

I'm surprised there isn't more talk going on in this thread. Guessing since it only availible on one console for the moment. I see a re-surge once the PC version finally releases.

E3 fever. It's getting lost in the rush to talk about DRM, new game announcements, surprises, arguments, etc.

It will hopefully pick up after E3 and pick up even more once the PC version is announced and released.

Played some hours and I now have resources for about 3 days and no one died. Do people, when they are not at home bring stuff like weapons and resources? What's the difference between them being on a mission and simply not at home?

That's a very good question. I've noticed that sometimes they just go on walkabout. For example, was playing as Charlotte, but decided to switch to Marcus, only he was busy and nowhere to be found in the base.

E3 fever. It's getting lost in the rush to talk about DRM, new game announcements, surprises, arguments, etc.

It will hopefully pick up after E3 and pick up even more once the PC version is announced and released.

Yeah that's a shame as while the game has the jank people keep bringing up. The amount of stuff going under the hood, and ways to play. This game has HUGEEEE replayabilty... just huge.

Vamphuntr

Yes they bring random items when they go out. For instance, I have crowbars in my stash but never picked that up myself.

My only issue with the game after playing for a long time outside of the awful performance is that stuff happens when you reload your game since time skipped. When I loaded, two of my characters had died while I wasn't playing and my morale bar was full and I had solved everyone issues before quitting.

aku:jiki

That's a very good question. I've noticed that sometimes they just go on walkabout. For example, was playing as Charlotte, but decided to switch to Marcus, only he was busy and nowhere to be found in the base.
That's gotta be the worst part of the game right there. If the survivors actually do contribute something positive with their excursions, it is extremely unclear and to the player (or me, at least) it feels like their little trips are just pointless obstacles for me to climb across. It'd be a lot less annoying if there were, like, little infoboxes telling us that Ava just got back with a shotgun and 10 food or something. As it stands, it's more like... "God damn it, Ed, you got yourself stuck between two hordes AGAIN?!"

ekim

Yes they bring random items when they go out. For instance, I have crowbars in my stash but never picked that up myself.

My only issue with the game after playing for a long time outside of the awful performance is that stuff happens when you reload your game since time skipped. When I loaded, two of my characters had died while I wasn't playing and my morale bar was full and I had solved everyone issues before quitting.

Y'know, people die.

Thanks for the informative video Slasher. Will help me out when I start my first playthrough tonight after work. Great streams as always, Thanks.

Top Bottom