• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Haha, fuck... I've been annoyed at the miniscule starting inventory for a good few hours now, so I was both overjoyed and annoyed to find a large backpack...100 stupid yards from home base. If anyone else wants to know, there's a little campsite hidden in the forest, in like an alcove in the mountain, where there's two large backpacks. It's just north of the church.
Was having trouble finding this place when one of the "fear" missions lead me right to it. Thanks game.

There were two small backpacks. Fuck you game.

Yeah that's a shame as while the game has the jank people keep bringing up. The amount of stuff going under the hood, and ways to play. This game has HUGEEEE replayabilty... just huge.

Indeed it is. Fortunately the game is selling well. so at least it's not going completely unnoticed.

That's gotta be the worst part of the game right there. If the survivors actually do contribute something positive with their excursions, it is extremely unclear and to the player (or me, at least) it feels like their little trips are just pointless obstacles for me to climb across. It'd be a lot less annoying if there were, like, little infoboxes telling us that Ava just got back with a shotgun and 10 food or something. As it stands, it's more like... "God damn it, Ed, you got yourself stuck between two hordes AGAIN?!"

Agreed. The game has some let's say 'interesting' quirks when it comes to survivors. It feels like they had some big plans but couldn't get them to work or simply didn't have the the time left?

For example, early on there was talk of having to find water for the camp and it was apprently supposed to be a big part of the game, but it was dropped. And while we can't say one way or the other, it also feels like there was supposed to be a lot more depth to the vehicles and possibly upgrading them.

I don't particularly blame for them dropping features, the game is already one of the most ambitious I've ever played and I'm sure if they can get them to work, we might see them in a future game, but their apparent removal does make the game feel somewhat disjointed.

Our stories are better.
I am Karak and I am not impartial.

Hehe.

Wow... Just checked the leaderboards... Over 200k sales.

221k last I checked. It's a beast and I'm honestly still a surprised it's still selling so well. I was so sure it wouldn't sell well due to its price. Undead labs deserve every single sale in my opinion and I really hope they go on to do great things next generation.

221k last I checked. It's a beast and I'm honestly still a surprised it's still selling so well. I was so sure it wouldn't sell well due to its price. Undead labs deserve every single sale in my opinion and I really hope they go on to do great things next generation.

Yep! Totally agree. I see the lifetime sales of this being just absurd! I mean for me, this is the zombie game I've been dreaming of since I played GTA 3. There is only room to improve on it now :D

aku:jiki

My new hobby is to go into the middle of a neighborhood and start popping zombies in the head with the loudest-ass hunting rifle I can find, start popping zombies in the head and just basically pretend I'm playing a horde mode. It is glorious to take out an entire horde before they can even get close.

Agreed. The game has some let's say 'interesting' quirks when it comes to survivors. It feels like they had some big plans but couldn't get them to work or simply didn't have the the time left?
I think the same thing happened to the game's story, heh. I don't feel like these are very heavy spoilers, but:
the achievement for "settling the Wilkersons differences" has you doing no such thing. You broker a deal for them and leave, achievement pop. Another one says "find up what the army is up to," but you don't actually...find out. They don't tell you shit. Pretty much all of the story-related achievements say they're about something that never actually happens. Like there was a much more elaborate script at one point and the achievement designer forgot to change his text when they dropped it.

I need more ammo dumps for my community. it weird, wehn I would request for ammo locations there would be no question marks. is there any ammo dumps that you guys know of besides the gun shop near the church? thanks!

I need more ammo dumps for my community. it weird, wehn I would request for ammo locations there would be no question marks. is there any ammo dumps that you guys know of besides the gun shop near the church? thanks!

You mean she wouldn't radio in to you and give you a location after the 9 minute timer?

OrangeOak

Please tell me how to build the storage :p.I think lack of storage is causing my resources to dissapear.I have this message that they won't last overnight but I don't know how to built sotrage.Maybe it can't be outside?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if I should put much resources into the church or if I just go find a bigger place sooner rather than later?

kvothe

Does this game start to get repetitive fast? Watched the QL on GB and the playthrough on IGN and it looks awesome. But don't want to sink 20 bucks into it if you're just doing the same thing over and over and over.

Orca

I had a truck blow up on me early on in the game and wondered if it's possible to get the other cars to do the same or if that was a special case because of the circumstances it happened in
went off the bridge in the first 'drive a vehicle' sequence and landed upside down

I got one damaged badly enough it was showing smoke and fire from around the hood, and wanted to try and blow it up next to the gas pumps. I sat in another vehicle a short distance away and waited, but I was actually afraid to keep driving it into the pumps and damaging it more because it might kill me lol

Wow really?!? That is so awesome.

Wait wait. So State of Decay has to be the fastest selling game ever right?
Forgot which forum it was, but one guy was like "Too bad I don't enough to buy game, it sounds amazing. Like.." Then he paraphrased your story. And someone else responded that it sound amazing."

And yeah I know it's only second behind Minecraft for most day one sales. Not sure about fastest selling. Minecraft probably hold the top spot for that too

But I wouldn't consider MC really, because that was a port of well known, super popular PC game with a huge established fan base so SoD could never match numbers like that

aku:jiki

I know both of them have "of" in the title, dude, but this thread is not about Call of Duty. :p

I mean that when the timer runs out she would state that she has something on the map but nothing shows up. that can't be right because I only obtained 3-4 cases of ammo.
That does mean that you've emptied out the caches in the surrounding area and she can't find any more there.

This is not a run and gun shooter, bro, you should not be struggling for ammo...

Karak

I know both of them have "of" in the title, dude, but this thread is not about Call of Duty. :p

That does mean that you've emptied out the caches in the surrounding area and she can't find any more there.

This is not a run and gun shooter, bro, you should not be struggling for ammo...

Sorry I missed the XBLA part hahaha

abundant

Does this game start to get repetitive fast? Watched the QL on GB and the playthrough on IGN and it looks awesome. But don't want to sink 20 bucks into it if you're just doing the same thing over and over and over.

Not at all. Yes you're doing the same things over and over, but the randomization aspect of the game keeps you on your toes.

I agree with the review that said with more money and polish, this would have easily been a 10. I wonder if Microsoft still cares enough about games to actually put more into a sequel. 200k sales in mere days is nothing to sneeze at. This genre obviously sells.

Have sunk about 14 hours in. Not bored in the slightest.

I got one damaged badly enough it was showing smoke and fire from around the hood, and wanted to try and blow it up next to the gas pumps. I sat in another vehicle a short distance away and waited, but I was actually afraid to keep driving it into the pumps and damaging it more because it might kill me lol

Let me tell you I had a funny glitch with a vehicle. I had me and one other survivor. I was driving near the farm area. I accidently ran right into huge gas tank, blow me and my friend SKY HIGH!!! Though my character got stuck in a forward/side way position mid air and just kept floating. So here I am floating across the screen, my friend trying to catch up to me, and zombies on our tail. I quit out to my last save, to say the least. Myself and the live stream folks watching were dying in laughter.

kvothe

Not at all. Yes you're doing the same things over and over, but the randomization aspect of the game keeps you on your toes.

That's cool. I also noticed that you can only play as people that are your "Friends." Since it's permadeath, if all your "Friends" die is the game over?

ekim

how did they play it, its not out in germany :)
jk.undead labs should hurry i cant stand the waiting

I'm from Germany too and migrated my account to Austria. Worked flawless... I was even able to download the crackdown 2 demo which is banned here.

I

but I have been saving up bullets though, I haven't really used a gun except in three occasions and those were on those fat zombies. you know those symbols that indicate how much food, fuel, and ammo you have? well, mine is on five right now.

Trigger

Naw, the tension is always there. I don't think it'll get boring until you've essentially seen and done everything there is to do.

State of Decay is the zombie apocalypse sim I've always wanted. Enough story hooks, character interactions, losing good survivors, real-time anxiety, and micromanagement of people or structures to distinguish itself from even DAY Z.

Good bye Ed and Ernesto. Yo yo yo was getting old, couldn't bother getting medicine. Ernesto, you were just a wuss, martyring yourself with a suicide bomb when you got overcrowded with zeds. I never liked your hair.

Maya better not die, I need some tight yoga pants to stare at in this misery and anxiety simulator.

GOTY contender for me.

Yep! Totally agree. I see the lifetime sales of this being just absurd! I mean for me, this is the zombie game I've been dreaming of since I played GTA 3. There is only room to improve on it now :D

Absolutely agree. It's the zombie I've dreamt of from the moment I played Dead Rising.

Wait, single player only? Post-DayZ I expected more. Hmm.

Yep, SP only. That's not an issue though, the game has more than enough to keep you entertained. It's also much deeper than DayZ from what I understand about DayZ.

My new hobby is to go into the middle of a neighborhood and start popping zombies in the head with the loudest-ass hunting rifle I can find, start popping zombies in the head and just basically pretend I'm playing a horde mode. It is glorious to take out an entire horde before they can even get close.

I think the same thing happened to the game's story, heh. I don't feel like these are very heavy spoilers, but:
the achievement for "settling the Wilkersons differences" has you doing no such thing. You broker a deal for them and leave, achievement pop. Another one says "find up what the army is up to," but you don't actually...find out. They don't tell you shit. Pretty much all of the story-related achievements say they're about something that never actually happens. Like there was a much more elaborate script at one point and the achievement designer forgot to change his text when they dropped it.

Hah, that sounds great. I think I may try that, throw some firecrackers down and then snipe then as they appear.

I don't particularly mind that they had to cut some stuff, it shows they were perhaps simply too ambitious, but with this a roaring success, hopefully they'll be able to build the team and any sequel will see any features they had to cut/couldn't get to work make a return.

Wow really?!? That is so awesome.

Minecraft is still the fastest seller on XBLA, but this must be in the top three/top five.

Orca

Let me tell you I had a funny glitch with a vehicle. I had me and one other survivor. I was driving near the farm area. I accidently ran right into huge gas tank, blow me and my friend SKY HIGH!!! Though my character got stuck in a forward/side way position mid air and just kept floating. So here I am floating across the screen, my friend trying to catch up to me, and zombies on our tail. I quit out to my last save, to say the least. Myself and the live stream folks watching were dying in laughter.

The next game needs the ability to dive out of a speeding vehicle. Even if it ends in an injury - or the potential for one. It'd be worth it to set up a gas station trap for a mass of zombies hahaha

Is there hope for co-op?

I remember the devs saying that it is planned and maybe coming later.

Is it still the case?

I so want to play this with a friend.

abundant

That's cool. I also noticed that you can only play as people that are your "Friends." Since it's permadeath, if all your "Friends" die is the game over?

Probably, but unless you're really, really, really bad at games, this scenario should never happen. It's real easy to find new survivors and as long as you are doing mission or scavenging for stuff, they'll become your Friend.

The next game needs the ability to dive out of a speeding vehicle. Even if it ends in an injury - or the potential for one. It'd be worth it to set up a gas station trap for a mass of zombies hahaha

I'm pretty sure I've dived out of my my car. :D I could swear I did. Unless I'm imagining things.

Hah, that sounds amazing.

Pretty sure you can dive out by pressing Y.

Has anyone done a gun specialized survivor yet? I'm not sure whether it's gonna be viable.. having a hard time keeping ammo stocked as is.

This is running on CryEngine 3, right?

Yep.

Is there hope for co-op?

I remember the devs saying that it is planned and maybe coming later.

Is it still the case?

I so want to play this with a friend.

There's no co-op, but they have said they'll try to patch it in at some point.

Any news for the German version?

It's been submitted for certification,

jtrov

So, is there really anything to be done at all to find a missing survivor that isn't getting a "missing survivor" quest?

Sorry if this has already been answered or if this isn't exactly what you're talking about. But from my experience if you have certain "hunts" or other "Help clear out..." missions then which ever survivor was there waiting for you to take on the task will sometimes decide to take the mission on solo. As I've seen pop ups saying something along the lines of, "Marcus has cleared out an infestation all on his own [Friendship -10]". I don't know what determines their decision to go about a mission solo, but I feel like depending on how advanced a certain character is, then he is more inclined to take on a mission solo (and not go missing in the process). Sometimes they go missing and it takes awhile for the action to appear and I've found them in random houses before the mission pop-up even occurs. For example, Ed was missing one time and it was already two [in-game] days and still nothing for missing survivor location, and I eventually found him while going on a run looking for materials.

Press Y while driving and you'll dive out.

If you're not going that fast, you'll roll and land on your feet. Going fast and bail and you tumble along the ground and lay there for a bit before getting up

Karak

ya diving out does wonders when you send a ford pickup flying up a set of steps onto someones front porch.
"Would you like a WATCHTOWER?"

Top Bottom