• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

ekim

Noooooo.... Maya.... :(
Just made too much noise while searching for resources and alerted a whole horde... No way out. :(

Also, new favorite survivor is Jennifer. Love the army boots/pants/cap and...bright pink sweater combo.
And dat ass.

Edit: Noooo! The broadsword breaks super fast! :mad:

Ok, if Maya dies, at least you've given me hope for another beautiful survivor to stare at. Where do you find her?

Sales update from Undead Labs (this was at 10am)

The leaderboard lags behind sales, because people often buy with the intention of playing later.

I know we passed 200K sales last night

It is, put simply, a miracle. However, I don't believe in miracles. I know who did it. You guys told your friends and made enough noise that IGN and Polygon took a look at us and got interested.

Got -5 or -10 influence because I pulled out my gun to reload while I was next to the stash at the church. Improper gun handling or something like that.

More influence lost another time randomly when once while I was out and about, a notice pops up saying there was a gun mishandling accident at base. I look at the Survivor screen and see someone is now Hurt when I only had tired people before.

The attention to detail for all its randomness is pretty cool, even if it may feel cheap and out of your control at times. It just highlights the nature of the zombie apocalypse even more.

Experiencing this game is almost like virtual training grounds for such an event, and I think that may be part of why it is so fun to play.

There hasn't been a game quite like this amongst all the zombie games but I can't wait to see how this shifts the landscape for all upcoming titles, both in development now and new ones that are sure to imitate this. And obviously for Class 4.

iDmrjVdyTimzr.gif

aku:jiki

Is there hope for co-op?

I remember the devs saying that it is planned and maybe coming later.

Is it still the case?

I so want to play this with a friend.
They've promised it, but I don't think it's very realistic at all. Not only is adding and testing netcode not something you do over a weekend, the basic game design currently doesn't support it. Like someone already pointed out; your world will have totally different people and situations in it than your friend's. Can he just visit yours without making any actual progress for himself? No one likes the kind of co-op where only the host gets to save progress, earn achievements, etc. So, I'd say it's possible but not probable.

Ok, if Maya dies, at least you've given me hope for another beautiful survivor to stare at. Where do you find her?
I mean she was in a house in the nicer part of the suburbs in Marshall for me, but she's not going to be there for you. :/

Karak

If MS HASN'T already they need to lockdown Undead and give them whatever they need.

It was also nice to hear a company VERY happy with working with MS.

They're referring to 200k sales as a "miracle". That tells me they expected much less, which also must mean that they've met whatever goal they set in order to consider making the next game. They're also not being sold in several big countries, which means they've only just begun to be wowed by the sales numbers. Fund these people, Microsoft.

I have no idea what that thing is, but it's funny.

The game is really good but there is SO much room for improvement. I hope they make a sequel. I admire their attention to detail. If they added a few things it would be perfect.

- Add an option to give items to people you are with. Hand out weapons, medicine, etc.
- Allow me to give orders while in the field (Take this back to base, board up the windows, watch the exit, search the place).
- Allow me to give orders from the map or at home base (You and you check out that building, go on a supply run, check the perimeter, get us a car, etc.)
- Allow me to put rucksacks in the trunk with more space if i'm using a pickup for example.
- Allow others to use cars when they go out for supplies. Seems silly to have them walk all the way when you are so far.
- Assign people to lead secondary bases/teams

Would make the game incredible if they added stuff like this.

They're referring to 200k sales as a "miracle". That tells me they expected much less, which also must mean that they've met whatever goal they set in order to consider making the next game. They're also not being sold in several big countries, which means they've only just begun to be wowed by the sales numbers. Fund these people, Microsoft.
They've had a plan since the company started, no need to consider anything. Their real goal is to make a DayZ-style MMO, codenamed Class4. They've been working on that the entire time. State of Decay is Class3, an SP experience built with the resources and code they've already created for Class4.

What this success means, probably, is that they'll get an extra year's worth of dev time on Class4 and the luxury to take whatever time and resources they need to make it the best they can, which is obviously awesome for anyone who wants to play Class4. (Sadly, that is not me. I'd much rather have State of Decay 2.)

The game is really good but there is SO much room for improvement. I hope they make a sequel. I admire their attention to detail. If they added a few things it would be perfect.

- Add an option to give items to people you are with. Hand out weapons, medicine, etc.
- Allow me to give orders while in the field (Take this back to base, board up the windows, watch the exit, search the place).
- Allow me to give orders from the map or at home base (You and you check out that building, go on a supply run, check the perimeter, get us a car, etc.)
- Allow me to put rucksacks in the trunk with more space if i'm using a pickup for example.
- Allow others to use cars when they go out for supplies. Seems silly to have them walk all the way when you are so far.

I agree with pretty much all of that. I'd be even more obsessed with the game if they let you keep your bases, expand your survivor count into multiple dozens, delegate chores or supply runs and basically create and maintain a little community in the valley. It wouldn't be as bleak and depressing as what they're going for, but fuck it, it would be so much more fun!

Mindlog

Little hand holding. Some measure of depth and difficulty. Manageable development budget.
Sales expectations bested.
Again.

There is a very good thread to be had. Happy to see the success for this game. I'm doing OK in my game now. Torn between retrieving the doctor, fighting back some infestations and finding a bigger backpack. I keep finding small backpacks.

J82XlCm.gif

I haven't checked since around 6pm, but it's well over 200k. 221k last I checked, it's probably closer to 225k now.

If MS HASN'T already they need to lockdown Undead and give them whatever they need.

Absolutely. Class4 could be huge for them if they ensure that Undead have adequate resources.

God yes, this would make this already incredible game so much better. Hopefully this will be addressed in Class4.

Yeah, but UL would be stupid and greedy if they sold the studio to MS at this point. They've independently found an investor and made a very successful game. Unless they have like the worst accountants and project managers on earth, it should be smooth sailing until their next game is finished and if that game's as good as this, they're all going to be millionaires.

Like, I have no idea why the hell Twisted Pixel and Signal Studios sold out to MS. There's no way that deal gave them more money than keeping it indie would've in the long run. I guess they did it for the sense of job security. (Which is stupid too, since MS will shut a studio down the day after they release an unsuccessful game.)

Vamphuntr

I agree with those. Not be able to give people items when they are next to you is silly. Putting luggage in the cars should be an option too. Not being able to order people around is weird too since it should be there with the concept of influence in place.

I'm in the team that doesn't believe co-op will be added. I'm not saying they are lying at all, they are probably just quite optimistic. From a technical perspective, the game has issue having 1 player creating mayhem so I can't imagine two people throwing bombs everywhere. This is not taking into account that adding netcode and coop support isn't simple as flipping a switch. The game needs to have been designed with this in mind in the first place.The fact you can't give items to someone else or heal NPC with meds next to you so far isn't reassuring.

There's also the question of progress discussed above. How would that work since you both belongs in different games/worlds. What carries over if you would join a game? You could simply troll online games and kill someone's survivors on purpose.

If I were them, I would start working on a performance patch to fix the framerate and all other visual kinks instead. It's what prevents the game from being truly amazing to me. With all the technical problem it's still very good but it's held back by them for me.

Yeah, but UL would be stupid and greedy if they sold the studio to MS at this point. They've independently found an investor and made a very successful game. Unless they have like the worst accountants and project managers on earth, it should be smooth sailing until their next game is finished and if that game's as good as this, they're all going to be millionaires.

Like, I have no idea why the hell Twisted Pixel and Signal Studios sold out to MS. There's no way that deal gave them more money than keeping it indie would've in the long run. I guess they did it for the sense of job security. (Which is stupid too, since MS will shut a studio down the day after they release an unsuccessful game.)

Good point. Perhaps they could enter into a second party deal? They retain their independence but solely work on games for the One/360/PC.

A bit like Quantic Dream and Sony.

With sales like these, could State of Decay be a new Xbox "system seller"? I've seen here and on other forums, many people saying how they've recently bought an Xbox just for this game. I've read posts from primarily PC gamers who haven't touched a console in years saying how they/ve started up their old console just for this game.

What was the last non-sequel, original IP that people wanted enough to buy a X-Box for? People probably brought consoles for Minecraft but that was a port of a super popular PC game. SoD is doing this by word of mouth. I imagine games that can do that are rare, very rare. I hope Microsoft takes note, especially with the sales this game is pulling in.

Just imagine what an Xbox One version of State of Decay or Class4 could accomplish, now that Undead Labs and SoD will likely be in the spotlight

So, uh, what happens to a dead buddy's rucksack items when you return it? I've never cared to look before, but this feral motherfucker just took out Oscar and he was carrying my sweet-ass navy seal sniper rifle that carries 10 bullets and fires really quickly. I returned his rucksack. It's not in my locker. >:[

Good point. Perhaps they could enter into a second party deal? They retain their independence but solely work on games for the One/360/PC.

If they need the money, sure, that'd be a good idea. But if they don't, they should stick to their guns and stay indie. It's what always pays off the most in the long run, if you have the skill, talent and perseverence to pull it off. Way too many developers seem to have the goal of getting bought up by Ubi or EA instead of having the goal of BECOMING Ubi or EA. Gotta think big!

Twinduct

Never understood the benefit of being a second party studio. Being independent and still limiting your reach.

So, uh, what happens to a dead buddy's rucksack items when you return it? I've never cared to look before, but this feral motherfucker just took out Oscar and he was carrying my sweet-ass navy seal sniper rifle that carries 10 bullets and fires really quickly. I returned his rucksack. It's not in my locker. >:[

Check your survivors at base. High light them on the menu and see what weapons they are carrying.

perfectnobody

Neo Member
tried the demo, it was pretty good, but not good enough to warrant a purchase from me. maybe when it goes on sale, I might take a stab at it.

Check your survivors at base. High light them on the menu and see what weapons they are carrying.
You mean that the rucksack contents are randomly distributed among the others, so it's possible that a character I can't switch to has now stolen my favorite gun? Fuck thaaaaaaaaaat.

Edit: Aw shit. I get it. It evaporated because my gun stash is full. God damn it!

charsace

tried the demo, it was pretty good, but not good enough to warrant a purchase from me. maybe when it goes on sale, I might take a stab at it.
If this game was released as a full release it would be worth full price. At $20 its a steal. Easily one of the best open world games ever made and imo the best zombie game ever. I would love to see them do this game with an even bigger budget as a full release and then the MMO. When people talk about next gen this is one of the games that companies should look at and learn from.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Had my closest call yet last session. I had Maya going to help out a survivor who was fairly close by. She was already tired from being used a lot, but the area itself was close behind the church. I had to get out of the truck and climb a bit, and got bitten up a bit but it went fairly well. Then I took him back down to the truck and noticed one of those fat assholes.

I decided to run into him, which I haven't tried before. Horrible, HORRIBLE idea. Even with a truck, it sent him back on his back but with a loud crunch and some black smoke. I then realized the handling was screwed, the front two tires were pretty much crushed and the truck would only move ever so slightly faster than a snail. I've been messing cars up a lot, but I didn't realize it went to this extent. I then saw a horde coming, and the area I was in basically was funneled towards it so it wasn't avoidable. I tried to go as fast as I could and came to a dead stop when I actually hit them, and the truck was now surrounded. Easily the most "oh shit" moment so far, as Maya was not in fighting condition and there was still the fat guy somewhere behind me. By some miracle I was able to pull out of there, though some were on the truck on both doors. Me and the survivor both were able to knock them off and I cut across into the woods to get behind the church. Then I see ANOTHER fat guy and a feral as I come up to the wall in my barely usable truck. I went at a weird angle and actually ramped up the wall, we both bailed out and PERFECTLY rolled over the barbed wire into the church while the truck flipped over and landed right on those two zombies. It was soo damn funny.

If they need the money, sure, that'd be a good idea. But if they don't, they should stick to their guns and stay indie. It's what always pays off the most in the long run, if you have the skill, talent and perseverence to pull it off. Way too many developers seem to have the goal of getting bought up by Ubi or EA instead of having the goal of BECOMING Ubi or EA. Gotta think big!

Very good points and I find it hard to disagree with any of them.

Never understood the benefit of being a second party studio. Being independent and still limiting your reach.

I guess I'd like to see what they could accomplish with a big, AAA budget from MS. My brain cannot process the awesomeness that might result from that happening.

It's bloody incredible, one of the best open world games released this generation and easily one of the most ambitious games to be released. It's literally the most amazing and most perfect zombie sim you'll ever play.

It's the closest we'll ever get to a real open world The Walking Dead game. Yes, it's that damn good.

For its price, it's an absolute bloody steal.

For its price, it's an absolute bloody steal.

The graphics and performance issues hingers people from getting it. They don't know what their missing. Though to say it's not worth the asking price now, I think is a bit absurd imo, but to each their own. I'm going to double dip the PC version and still won't have paid full retail price for both total, but getting my moneys worth X 10.

eXistor

Goddammit, I got back from work and 3 of my peeps are dead, including 2 of my best men (Marcus I hardly knew you my man). They weren't missing or anything when I quit last night. I feel it really bring this game down. I could potentially have to start the whole game over just because the game decides to kill off everyone. It's a good thing the core game is so damn good, or I might not have been so forgiving.

4 chievos to go but for once in the first time in a while I will definitely continue on after. I need to do a new game anyway because the courthouse one can be missed. Watch out fellas!

Game stresses me out man.
It will pass (unfortunately, some might say). I currently sprint through the streets, taunting zombies and yelling "KING KONG AIN'T GOT SHIT ON ME!"

jbug617 said:
Sucks that games media haven't really talked about the game but I guess that is probably due to E3.
No, sadly, it's because most reviewers (like most gamers) are still very ignorant and prejudist towards indie/downloadable games. They think they're inherently worse than retail games. I think they think that XBLA is like the iOS appstore; nothing but shitty Bejeweled knockoffs and casual games, or some shit, not realizing that it's pretty much exactly the opposite.

The graphics and performance issues hingers people from getting it. They don't know what their missing. Though to say it's not worth the asking price now, I think is a bit absurd imo, but to each their own. I'm going to double dip the PC version and still won't have paid full retail price for both total, but getting my moneys worth X 10.

Yeah, I can understand some people not willing to put up with the jank and various technical issues, but as you rightly point out, they just don't know what they are missing. Hopefully those people will pick it up on PC where it will likely be more stable.

Oh absolutely, I'll definitely be double dipping. Anything to support this amazing developer that's come out of nowhere and delivered the zombie game from my dreams.

Sucks that games media haven't really talked about the game but I guess that is probably due to E3.

It's E3 plus the fallout from the MS DRM details.

Hopefully IGN will cover the sales at some point, they've done an incredible job helping to promote this game, I think they'll be there to tell everyone how well it's doing.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but combing 34 pages seemed like a bill hill, but anyways -

I downloaded the "trial" version and was wondering how it is handled - like is it a set timer, or can you only proceed to a certain point and then have to start over? Is it even able to be played more than once?

Thanks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sorry if this has already been addressed, but combing 34 pages seemed like a bill hill, but anyways -

I downloaded the "trial" version and was wondering how it is handled - like is it a set timer, or can you only proceed to a certain point and then have to start over? Is it even able to be played more than once?

Thanks.

It gives you the tutorial and 30 minutes once it opens up. It's one of the meatiest trials i've seen.

It disables saving though, so if you complete it and leave without buying you'll have to restart.

charsace

It will pass (unfortunately, some might say). I currently sprint through the streets, taunting zombies and yelling "KING KONG AIN'T GOT SHIT ON ME!"

No, sadly, it's because most reviewers (like most gamers) are still very ignorant and prejudist towards indie/downloadable games. They think they're inherently worse than retail games. I think they think that XBLA is like the iOS appstore; nothing but shitty Bejeweled knockoffs and casual games, or some shit, not realizing that it's pretty much exactly the opposite.
I think the black guy says "Over here!," if you are in stealth and press Y.

Top Bottom