• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

charsace

This is easily the best open world game I've ever played and the best RPG of the generation. This game has choices that actually matter and little touches that make a big difference.

Here's a pro tip. Take a look at every character that you can play as. Look closely. If you know what they were before the zombie outbreak then that has an effect on the character in some way. I chanced on a wicked melee character and it made sense once I looked at his bio.

Marcus is one of the best characters the game. give him heavy melee weapon perk and use a shotgun. Even when the AI is controlling him Marcus will tear through a horde of zombie when you level him.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I'm at the trucking warehouse. I've completed the courthouse, the granges, and the military groups already.

I had Lily try twice to find new survivors, but both failed. On the third, fourth, and fifth, all of them were successful.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Well that's useful information, I'll just keep at it then. Thanks!

I have yet to try again as I peaked at 17 and currently have 16 survivors with one missing. I'm hoping the missing character never comes back since there are no complaints about the lack of beds.

I finally started trying to level up the lame characters like Ed to try and get my fame up (sitting at 467) before beating the game within the next 2 hours or so.

Marcus is one of the best characters the game. give him heavy melee weapon perk and use a shotgun. Even when the AI is controlling him Marcus will tear through a horde of zombie when you level him.
Marcus is pretty much Tyreese from TWD comics, in my mind.

I've maxed all his skills except Shooting, which I really want to level up, but my ammo count is always running low, any advice?

Bought this after all the positive buzz around it, and because the premise sounds great, but so far I'm finding myself disappointed (although admittedly I'm not far in). I feel like there are a lot of great systems in the game, but they are not completely intuitive and they aren't explained really either - same goes for the controls. Also, I'm finding navigating through all the important information I get, inventory system, etc. a pain on console, plus it runs pretty badly. However, it seems like there really is a lot of meat that I will enjoy once I get past the these initial issues I'm having, so I'm going to stick with it. I do wish I would have waited for the PC version though, because I think I'd already be having a much better time were I able to navigate the interface better and were the game running smoother. Ah well.

Also, is the camera a constant struggle for everyone else, or is it just me? I swear I'm always babysitting its positioning.

This is easily the best open world game I've ever played and the best RPG of the generation. This game has choices that actually matter and little touches that make a big difference.

Here's a pro tip. Take a look at every character that you can play as. Look closely. If you know what they were before the zombie outbreak then that has an effect on the character in some way. I chanced on a wicked melee character and it made sense once I looked at his bio.

Marcus died less than an hour into my game. Whatever, I just went with it.

Karak

My Marcus lasted 15 hours in the play-through for my review. His death was bad enough I had to go away from the game and go for a walk.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
My marcus is trucking on. I have yet to lose anyone to enemies, but I have lost 3 people to sickness. Ed was the first.

Natiko

Banned
I've yet to have any of my characters die while I was actively using them surprisingly. The game feels really easy for the most part.

marcus, maya, and ed are still kicking in my game. I did lose a survivor named vanessa to a infestation though. however, I did get two new survivors and one was a mechanic so now my car engines can be repaired!

I lost Sam, but she sort of sucked so it was ok. What happened was she wanted to kill a fat guy on a mission and so I got out of the car to go shoot it, since you can blow up your car if you ram it and I had a real nice car. So she tried to run up to it and smack it even though I know she had a shotgun and it ate her guts after running over her.

My Marcus lasted 15 hours in the play-through for my review. His death was bad enough I had to go away from the game and go for a walk.

Heh, I did the same exact same when Maya died. Marcus is still going strong, but I'm making sure to switch between characters regularly in some vain hope that I don't become too attached to any one character in particular.

Didn't work, I'm attached to both Marcus and Charlotte. I'm not sure I'd be able continue playing if anything should happen to them...

Marcus is sick, fuck. What should I do - I am still in the church and have no idea where to establish a new base...

Talk to Jacob, he'll direct you a new town and once there, check out the warehouse. (not the stupid tree fort house he suggests, terrible location to set up base)

Natiko

Banned
Well I just beat the game and got all the achievements to boot. Pretty fun little game, definitely worth the $20 even if it is a bit shoddy. Thanks to Caspel for that bit of advice. After that it was smooth sailing to the finish. I really hope they do good things going forward with this series, especially after the success they're having already.

JammyMunkey

Neo Member
Talk to Jacob, he'll direct you a new town and once there, check out the warehouse. (not the stupid tree fort house he suggests, terrible location to set up base)

Yup that house is really bad, every time I come home Zeds are just walking around my garden! Going to move to the warehouse today.

Cheech

Played the demo yesterday. Enjoyed it, not quite enough to drop 20 on it, but am rethinking after reading the thread.

Had no idea how unscripted the game was after leaving the tutorial area. I do wish you could just kill somebody when they get sick.

Maybe after I finish Mark of the Ninja - yeah, my XBLA/PSN backlog is wretched. I just played Journey for the first time a month ago.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It's great reading how different things are for folk. Marcus and Maya are doing ok for me but I had a gutting death.

I was doing a simple scavenging run as Odreji (i think that's his name) when I accidentally flipped my car (again). I was in the middle of a field and was hurt from being attacked previously. Then out of nowhere one of those big fat bastards lifts me up and bites me on the neck. I'm thinking 'ok thats not so bad, I'll wait for him to put me down and run away' Then without a thought I'm torn in half and spread across the field. Shit.

Still managed to get his backpack but my heart is in my mouth everytime I play as Marcus or Maya. So I've decided to concentrate on levelling up some of the other characters at the moment.

I might have fucked myself with the story missions though, but then I'm not sure which missions are story based.

Garland7G

upgrade your medical tent. the better it is the higher chance you have to cure your character's sickness. A medical lab for instance adds 20% recovery rate. More if you have a doctor iirc.

I need more melee weapons, what is the best way to get them?

Check house, garages and construction sites. Construction sites often have crowbars with the others offering bladed weapons, bats and pipes.

upgrade your medical tent. the better it is the higher chance you have to cure your character's sickness. A medical lab for instance adds 20% recovery rate. More if you have a doctor iirc.

Speaking of, where can you find a Doctor? Or do you mean the Doc you do missions for throughout the game?

moai

had an intense moment yesterday. was helping a survivor search the gun house on the first town but we got the attention of a horde and many other zombies. i thought i was done for and noticed that you can call a swat team from sheriff carl. four masked guys entered the shop and we mowed down every zombie.

had an intense moment yesterday. was helping a survivor search the gun house on the first town but we got the attention of a horde and many other zombies. i thought i was done for and noticed that you can call a swat team from sheriff carl. four masked guys entered the shop and we mowed down every zombie.

Wait... What? This is very interesting to say the least. I am on my second day in the wild, still in the first town and having a blast of a time. I have missing people all over the place, Yoga pants has met her match as she tried to run through the harvest in the middle of the moon lit night trying to get to the second town, only to meet a horde. RIP Yoga.

I am loving this game, spent 10 hours yesterday with it.

moai

Wait... What? This is very interesting to say the least. I am on my second day in the wild, still in the first town and having a blast of a time. I have missing people all over the place, Yoga pants has met her match as she tried to run through the harvest in the middle of the moon lit night trying to get to the second town, only to meet a horde. RIP Yoga.

I am loving this game, spent 10 hours yesterday with it.

when you
complete the first mission from the judge you get that option in the d-pad down menu.

It depends on the word of mouth really.

I got five people to buy the game last night at work (I work at an electronics/video game store) and sold them the 1600 pts. Minecraft MS space bux. I must have told at least 15 people about it in total. I absolutely love this game and as much as platform fanboys irritate the shit out of me, I have no reservations fanboying up a good game.

Are they sometimes just laying around or are they always in searchable things?
You will never find items laying on the ground in this game, (well except resources rucksacks if you or other survivors drop them off), everything is always in searchable containers.

Trigger

I'm at the trucking warehouse. I've completed the courthouse, the granges, and the military groups already.

So wait. You did all of their missions?

I told Quentin the truth about Alex, and he left on his own somewhere. Am I supposed to get another mission to find him? Or will he return after sometime?

Are they sometimes just laying around or are they always in searchable things?

You will never find items laying on the ground in this game, (well except resources rucksacks if you or other survivors drop them off), everything is always in searchable containers.

Yeah, you never find stuff just laying around unless you come across a dropped backpack.

Search everything in the beginning and make sure to drop stuff you don't need off in supply lockers so any survivors can use it. If you fail to properly arm them, their chances of dying goes up considerably.

How many playable characters are there early in the game. I found Maya, the church and the groupin the restaurant.

Marcus it tired to the point where he is shambling around and Maya is only offering me a potential mission.

Is there anyone in my group I can switch to?

Overnight my peeps had acquired 3 snacks, 6 painkillers and one more truck. Sweet.

So far the Savini house has been alright. But I suppose it's not much of an upgrade. Two additional outposts, other than that's it's essentially the same as the church. Getting more survivors to join up so I can move to the warehouse is a priority.

How many playable characters are there early in the game. I found Maya, the church and the groupin the restaurant.

Marcus it tired to the point where he is shambling around and Maya is only offering me a potential mission.

Almost all the survivors are playable, but you have to earn their friendship before you can switch to them.

Trigger

How many playable characters are there early in the game. I found Maya, the church and the group in the restaurant.

What restaurant?

As for your question: You can only switch to people who you have friend status with. If there's no one available you have three options:

1)Give Marcus an energy drink or trucker pills.

2) Turn the game off.

3) Ask Lily to find more survivors or do more random missions.

So I pretty much always drive around in a car with the door held opened now, knocking zombies dead with a car door never gets old.
Imagine how awesome it'd be if motorcycles were in the game and you can just drive around with a crowbar in hand, cracking zombie skulls as you drive by...

hey wait a minute...

xOeR3MD.gif

roadrash-431x300.jpg

What restaurant?

As for your question: You can only switch to people who you have friend status with. If there's no one available you have three options:

1)Give Marcus an energy drink or trucker pills.

2) Turn the game off.

3) Ask Lily to find more survivors or do more random missions.

I turned the game off and he was still tired.

The survivors were in the diner next to the vet clinic. One of them has a mission for me.

Marcus, Maya and Ed. Beyond that it's all dependent on what survivors you pick up/help out.

Up on d-pad, characters marked as friends can be switched to. Can also tell by the "X Switch To" appearing on the top left.

Ed might be incapacitated and/or dead at the point where you're at.
Not sure if you can switch to characters when they're in mission mode. If it's a trade mission you can say "That's a bad idea." at the cost of -25 influence.
If you've managed to scavenge coffee or energy drinks you could use those to boost Marcus' stamina back up.

Either way you should probably try doing Maya's (I assume it's a) morale mission so you can switch to hear afterwards, if you can't currently. Since it sounds like you're quite low on stamina you should be real careful and try to get Maya to help out as much as possible.

Trigger

I turned the game off and he was still tired.

The survivors were in the diner next to the vet clinic. One of them has a mission for me.

Characters recover in real time. I played until about 1am EST yesterday, went to bed, and when I started this morning (around 10:30) everyone was fully healed and rested.

The diner tidbit is interesting. I never had that spawn; instead I had a bunch of dudes in a house down the street from the church. lol, I was ready to recruit them once I got to the the warehouse, but now their place is completely empty (and available as a base if I wanted it).

Top Bottom