• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
My too many infestations problem went away with the patch.

Not for me.. I've driven all over.. checked from vantage.. nothing.. I'm still in the Church and not a single infestation nearby.

It did cure Marcus from the fever though.. so that was nice.

bidguy

Banned
Not for me.. I've driven all over.. checked from vantage.. nothing.. I'm still in the Church and not a single infestation nearby.

It did cure Marcus from the fever though.. so that was nice.

did you buy your game after june 12 ?
they released a new version in germany that day but accidentally released it on every marketplace. so people who bought the game before that day got the patch today. the others have to wait another week.

cametall

I didn't have the "Too many infestations" issue until after this patch.

Now I can't move my group to a different location because every 5 minutes someone goes missing (need 8 to move).

Trigger

New patch in the works:

Here are the patch notes for Title Update 2 (TU2). TU2 is in final QA and we hope to deliver to certification early next week.

Please note this a draft list, and we may add, remove, or change entries before certification.

Big changes here. We're excited to get this out!

Jeff

TU2 Patch Notes

You can now manufacture homemade painkillers in the Medical Lab.
Stockpiles that are over the maximum storage provided by your current Facilities (the "cap") will no longer drain while you are not playing. Instead, Stockpiles that exceed the cap will drain every five minutes of play at the following rate: 2 if you're 100% over, 1.5 if you're 50% over, and 1 if you're 15% over.
Improved awareness of Stockpiles that are over the cap. The Assets page now displays both the current amount and cap for each Stockpile. Stockpile amounts that are over the cap will be displayed in yellow, both in the Assets page and the Home Status panel.
The "Too many infestations!" to-do item is now properly cleared if you relocate your Home to a site with fewer than two infestations within 500m.
Removed several sections of fencing around warehouse near fairgrounds to improve navigation for missions in the area.
Made it easier to navigate fairgrounds in vehicles.
Made it easier to execute "Double Kill" move.
Made major adjustments to Facility action times to make Facilities more useful during the current play session:
Globally changed Want delays from 1 real-time day to 4 real-time hours.
Duration of Fitness Regimen, Combat Training, Big Meal, Feast, and Firearms Practice changed from 3 real-time days to 2 game-time hours (where "game time" means time playing the game, not counting time that elapses while you are paused or logged out) so you get the full benefit of the bonus while you are actually playing the game.
Cooldown on Big Meal and Feast changed from 22 real-time hours to 3 game-time hours. This means your community is "full" for 1 game-time hour after the effects of Big Meal and Feast wear off before the Facility actions can be used again.
Trade Opportunity action time changed from 1 real-time day to 90 real-time minutes.
Train Outsiders action time changed from 1 real-time day to 90 real-time minutes.
Preservation Attempt action time changed from 3 real-time days to 90 real-time minutes.
Create Biodiesel action time changed from 3 real-time days to 90 real-time minutes.
All Library research actions changed from 2 real-time days to 4 real-time hours.

You now receive a Stockpile bonus upon claiming a new Home site. Each site comes with a specific number of Stockpiles, based on the size and number of Facility sockets in the site.
The game will now repair saves affected by a bug fixed in TU1 that could cause Lily to be killed by the simulation.
Characters selected for Mercy Shot mission can no longer recover from their injuries.
Mercy Shot missions can no longer select playable characters.
Lily no longer reminds you to come to the final mission site. It was annoying during sandbox play after winning final mission.
Edged weapons are now effective against Feral zombies.
Searching for Stockpiles with the radio is now more reliable.

There's more at the link. Bless them for the bolded.

eshwaaz

New patch in the works:

Mercy Shot missions can no longer select playable characters..
Man. I wish that had been in the first update. I had to put a bullet into one of my favorite playables last night.

The infestation bug is definitely not fixed with the first patch. I moved to the warehouse shortly after the patch, and was still getting the message and penalty. I searched the entire town surrounding the warehouse, and did all of the survey points - nothing. So I drove all the way back to the Ranger Station - clear on the other side of the map - where I surveyed and found 6 infestations. It was a huge pain clearing them all out in one go with one character since I didn't want to go all the way back to the warehouse for a new character. Did it by the skin of my teeth. No alerts since.

Clunker

Man, this game. I love that the permanence combined with the opaqueness of systems means that I'm figuring stuff out as I go along, fucking up, letting people die, and just soldiering on. The doc ate it during the mission to go save him because I was using an untrained character and forgot to gear up appropriately (sorry, Doc, you had to die because I didn't bring any bags of chips!), and I let Sam die pretty early on because I accidentally pulled a zombie horde right into the house we were searching.

That said, Marcus, Maya, and Jacob are my main men now. A lot of the other survivors are drunks, which affects their Wits and means they can't search all that well. Now to be clear: do you only gain Wits and Cardio experience when you speed search & dash? It seems that way to me.

Trying to move over to the Warehouse since the Church is way too small, but I need 2 more survivors to bring in. If I build up trust with other factions, do they eventually bring people over to join me? Or do I need to have specific missions that involve random elements of stumbling across new survivors?

This is the game I wanted Dead Rising to be. Would love to see more improvements and an updated version, and I'll be eagerly awaiting news on Class 4!

Trigger

Now to be clear: do you only gain Wits and Cardio experience when you speed search & dash? It seems that way to me.

Yep.

Trying to move over to the Warehouse since the Church is way too small, but I need 2 more survivors to bring in. If I build up trust with other factions, do they eventually bring people over to join me? Or do I need to have specific missions that involve random elements of stumbling across new survivors?

Only with non-story factions. If you trade/protect them enough they'll join. You also get two survivors from advancing the judge/Grange storylines.

NervousXtian

With the success this game is having, I can't wait for them to do a next gen sequel.

Game is really such a fresh experience.

derFeef

I moved to the warehouse, so many hordes come by... there is always action. I guess I need to build some outposts around it as it does not seem really safe now.

Lima

I moved to the warehouse, so many hordes come by... there is always action. I guess I need to build some outposts around it as it does not seem really safe now.

But that is why it is so perfect. Set up your 8 outposts there and arm the traps and no horde will ever come close to your warehouse again. Thing becomes a fortress.

Trigger

But that is why it is so perfect. Set up your 8 outposts there and arm the traps and no horde will ever come close to your warehouse again. Thing becomes a fortress.

Yep. It's a bit game breaking. All the bases needed more unique traits.

Yep. It become Fort Knox. I didn't encounter a single incoming horde after moving there setting up outposts in the surrounding buildings.

Anyway, I was out and about with Caitlin a little earlier and something absolutely batshit insane happened. Was searching for some materials when I encountered two hordes, unfortunately I wasn't able to sneak away and as you can imagine, a chase ensued...fast forward a few seconds and I'm being attacked on all sides, stamina is low, no snacks, no painkillers, I'm barely able to swing and then out of nowhere a Big Bastard appears and runs straight through the horde knocking Caitlin down...now I'm hammering A with everything I've got and I don't know what the hell happened, but
instead of getting up, she pulls out a grenade, says something and proceeds to blow herself up.

I'm sat there thinking what the fuck just happened when an achievement pops up and it all suddenly makes sense and now I can't stop laughing.

Holy shit, this game. Everything is simply perfect, even the achievement titles are well done.

Bravo Undead Labs. Bravo.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Alright guys, I've finally got a pretty sweet story to share.

So I get the call that one of my survivors, Margaret, could use a hand. Alright, no problem - just kill a few zeds and walk her home. I drive out to an orchard by the side of the lake to find her taking on at least 10 zombies by herself. Stepping out of my shiny orange Camaro, I proceed to go dropkick crazy and execute every last one of them. Finally the area is clear and we both get into the car, which is a little dinged up from excessive use, not really too much of an issue though, right? Pulling away from the orchard, I notice two hordes walking up the dirt road that I was taking to get back to the warehouse. The car certainly wasn't in any condition to take two hordes on, so I decide to cut outside the first one and... fuck, I hit a rock and the car goes spiraling into the air, slamming into a fence and landing upside down. We're both thrown from the now flaming wreck, and before I can even get up both of the hordes are wailing on poor Margaret. As I run to her, all I hear is "Chew on this, you bastards!" before a huge explosion sends at least twenty zeds to their maker. Well shit, guess I lost this one, I'm thinking, turning around and walking away just as the flaming, upside down Camaro explodes in a massive fireball.

Had 9 ammo in stock, -4 daily. Got 14 ammo in stock, -7 daily.
What's the point in gathering resources if the daily spending doubles along with your stock? Because that seems to basically be the way it works. Feels bullshitty in its artificiality. If you have two days supply of ammo I guess gathering more of it is a waste.

In other news, I discovered Sam Hoffman kicks ass. Unsure if attributes are randomized to some degree, but in my game her reflexes and stamina make her probably the best character I've got. Sweep kick is super useful, she can run forever and her stamina refills quickly.

Also, smokers suck ass. Takes forever to improve their cardio.

Almost the entire western part of town becomes practically zed free for all eternity. Almost becomes too easy after you've moved to the warehouse. Though it probably also has something to do with me having gotten better at the game, and you know, actually understanding how things work.

NervousXtian

Rocks have almost been the end of me so many times.

My biggest OMG WTF was I thinking moment was taking Marcus back to the OG campsite area.

My wife is watching, and she's like you're being stupid.

Yes.. yes I was.

I had a decent car.. so I high tail it back to the bridge.. get ready to hit the jump and mis-judge it.. and crash.. car is smoking a bit.. but instead of turning around.. I back up and go at it again.. this time.. I make it.

So.. good.. right? BTW.. I thought there was a mission back there.. but it's gone.. or didn't pop.. whatever.

I was over the bridge driving back to the main building by the lookout water tower.. and I hit a rock.. or tree.. not sure.. but car is on fire. I should turn around.. right? No I keep going.

Main building is infested.. and hordes everywhere.. I hit the fence.. car is in flames.. shit.. I run out.. and it explodes. But I'm here.. let me go in.. I start to clean it out.. but damn.. they keep coming. I'm overwhelmed.. but I finally beat off the infestation and rotters.. I'm out of ammo.. my weapon is yellow.. I'm out of chips and drugs. I realize I have no car.. except on the other side of the bridge.. and I'm down in health.. and partial stamina.

It's night.. I sneak myself back over.. get stupid.. fight off another 5 or 6 zeds.. and make my way down the cliff and back up the other side of the bridge to find 7 or 8 zeds around. I run as fast as I can back to the car and head back home.

For the run.. I gathered ZERO resources.. wasted quite a bit of time and resources.. and realized how stupid I was for trying it.

Then again.. what happened to that mission?

BTW, never played a game quite like this that allows situations to just happen naturally so well. It's the fun you had to make yourself in other open world games.. but built in.

Trigger

Had 9 ammo in stock, -4 daily. Got 14 ammo in stock, -7 daily.
What's the point in gathering resources if the daily spending doubles along with your stock? Because that seems to basically be the way it works. Feels bullshitty in its artificiality. If you have two days supply of ammo I guess gathering more of it is a waste.

It's especially annoying if your base is in a safe area. lol, I can't help but wonder what the fuck all the ammo is even being used for.

i think half the fun of a zombie game is the satisfying kill animations. SoD does it pretty well, kind of like killing floor in that regard.

control scheme is kind of newish don't think i've played a game that feels like this.

and populating an open world with actual threats instead of just blowing through it is pretty original. it's a small place but feels bigger cause there's always something to do. can feel a bit grindy at times, though.

reminds me of a third person The Sims with zombies. eating. sleeping. getting good at killing stuff. the everyday mundanities of living in a zombie apocalypse.

NervousXtian

TBH there are better looking open world 360 games out there but that's not the point of SoD :)
To look good I mean.

I'll gladly take the jank in the graphics for how much they put into the other aspects of the game.

Not saying there is a shitload to do, but it greatly exceeded what I thought they were going to give us.

I'd just like most of the systems to be fleshed out a bit more, the biggest flaw is how quickly the zombies respawn.. there just is too many to be explained by the area you live in.

It's one of the one things that keeps reminding you that it's still a game.

Then again, this is an issue I had with Day Z.. I want the zombies to be backdrop to what you are doing, not the main or only focus. Both do a decent job of it, and I think SoD does it better.. but you clearly out the whole town of zeds and they are all back in a matter of minutes.. it's not realistic (yes, it's absurd saying that in a zombie game).

In other news, I discovered Sam Hoffman kicks ass. Unsure if attributes are randomized to some degree, but in my game her reflexes and stamina make her probably the best character I've got. Sweep kick is super useful, she can run forever and her stamina refills quickly.
Any character with Reflexes or Powerhouse is instantly better than ones without because of the extra abilities they unlock. Sam's also got great traits for gaining Wits (iirc), so she's actually one of the best characters. It took me leveling up Ed fully to realize how great Reflexes is, though.

Was something supposed to happen at the end? I was looking at Lily since she was talking to me and then
my character says "Mother of god!" and then credits.
What? Was I supposed to be looking at something else there? I feel kind of silly spoilering that because it's not...it's nothing. Oh well.

The game being bad at explaining things is ultimately a good thing as it gives you that "fear of the unknown" aspect. I was super nervous and kept pausing all the time to think about what to do since I didn't know what to do, how to do it or what could happen. That coupled with the idea of permadeath is kind of unsettling. Works really well for the type of game it aims to be.

For me, a fair while into the game, it did lose a lot of that anxiety and uncertainty. Became more like a game as things got easier and more relaxed. You do get those "oh assballs!" moments every now and then, but by and large I was pretty much just strolling around doing busywork at the end there. It's a weird difficulty curve. I don't know if it's actually a good idea to move to the warehouse. The game's at its best when things are on the brink of being dire, and they never really are at the warehouse. Only when you have to go outside of your giant safezone to gather resources is there any risk, and then you've got cars for protection.

All in all I've really enjoyed this game. It's just eventually you'll start noticing and feeling it's not just the technical jank that hints at the game not being quite finished. There's so much that could be expanded upon, and you can sense they have been poking around some of that stuff but ran out of time. Let's say I'm looking forward to their next game.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Welp. It happened.
I had to put Maya down... what a shame.
On the plus side, Marcus has Ninja now!

And how close to the end of the game is the part when
Sgt. Erik Tan calls you back to the fairgrounds because he saw something interesting?

EDIT: Also, can someone explain weapon specialization to me? I have them unlocked but they never seem to improve...

Shifty76

Sweep kick is super useful, she can run forever and her stamina refills quickly.

Noob question, but how do you perform the sweep kick?

I tried LB + X, LB + Y, LB + B, LB + A but none of them seemed to do anything. Wish the skills bar would show what button press is needed to do each move.

Trigger

Was something supposed to happen at the end? I was looking at Lily since she was talking to me and then
my character says "Mother of god!" and then credits.
What? Was I supposed to be looking at something else there? I feel kind of silly spoilering that because it's not...it's nothing. Oh well.

lol, you didn't miss anything. The ending is just very abrupt. It genuinely feels like they ran out of time. I'd want DLC if only to give the story a better close.

And how close to the end of the game is the part when
Sgt. Erik Tan calls you back to the fairgrounds because he saw something interesting?

EDIT: Also, can someone explain weapon specialization to me? I have them unlocked but they never seem to improve...

You should have two more missions left IIRC.

RE Weapon Specialization: Once you have about 4 in fighting or shooting you can choose to specialize in a weapon. You'll do more damage with that weapon type, and the melee weapons will unlock a special attack later. To improve the specialization just do more damage with it (aka stick with machetes if you chose the edged weapon specialization). Just stick with it and you'll see the skill improve.

I knew the ending would be bad so it didn't really bother me.

One thing that did though was the ending to the Wilkerson story.
I knew there was a high probability of bad shit going down but I thought if I went along with the group I could help them if the Wilkersons tried something. But once you arrive at the meeting spot the only thing you can do is leave the area. After which they all die. Felt like I lost agency of that whole situation, like it was the game's fault those people died, not mine.

Also the ending to the Grange storyline bugged out on me. Quentin just teleported out of there and that was that. :(
Noob question, but how do you perform the sweep kick?

I tried LB + X, LB + Y, LB + B, LB + A but none of them seemed to do anything. Wish the skills bar would show what button press is needed to do each move.
Only characters with the "Reflexes" skill can do it, and you need to improve the skill before you can unlock the move. Then you just press Y. Quick, can knock multiple zombies down and drains little stamina.

Shifty76

Only characters with the "Reflexes" skill can do it, and you need to improve the skill before you can unlock the move. Then you just press Y. Quick, can knock multiple zombies down and drains little stamina.

Yeah, I realized only reflex characters could do it, just figured since it was a special attack it'd need the LB modifier like the shoves, suplexes etc. Didn't even think to just hit the basic kick.

Thanks!

Yeah, I realized only reflex characters could do it, just figured since it was a special attack it'd need the LB modifier like the shoves, suplexes etc. Didn't even think to just hit the basic kick.

Thanks!
When a follower has a zombie pinned you can sweep kick it so hard the head pops off.

I regret not doing the suplex with more powerhouse characters by the way. It's great. Hopefully the upcoming patch will fix the double kill move because it seems real difficult to pull off. I just end up doing exhausting jazz hands.

Lima

I regret not doing the suplex with more powerhouse characters by the way. It's great. Hopefully the upcoming patch will fix the double kill move because it seems real difficult to pull off. I just end up doing exhausting jazz hands.

You have to think of it more as a defensive counter move. It only works if you get attacked by Zombies. Not when they just stand around.

Dabanton

Well done to Undead Labs.

Excellent sales. Lets hope they iron out some of the more janky elements in any follow up

Best part of the last post from them.
And yes, Jeff DID just drop the sandbox mode bomb. We’re working on a pure sandbox mode for State of Decay, in large part because you asked for it. Again, the date is TBD, but we wanted you all to know it was coming.

Top Bottom