• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Trigger

I'm trying to build a watchtower and it says I need rebar. Is that different from regular materials and if so where do I find it?

Check your map because Lily always marks the locations where you have a higher chance of finding that kind of item.

EDIT- Oh, and it is different from regular materials. Items that are needed to start a halted construction project don't take up inventory space.

I'm set up in the warehouse now with all my survivors alive (as far as I know), a watchtower, an upgraded infirmary, an upgraded bunkhouse and a training area, and a couple outposts nearby with traps set up. I'm feeling pretty good about my situation.

dorkimoe

just started the demo, going to buy the full thing soon.

Do i just get resources from scavenging around? It shows i have like 0 of everything, so wasnt sure

just started the demo, going to buy the full thing soon.

Do i just get resources from scavenging around? It shows i have like 0 of everything, so wasnt sure
No. Resources are a big thing and you carry them in a huge rucksack. You'll know. You won't even find any until you get to the first base.

Trigger

The starting base (The Ranger station) doesn't have resources because that's just the prologue. later on you'll join a base with more resources, and yeah you have to scavenge. The only other options are the irregular trade missions or logging off.

EDIT- It's worth nothing that resources are separate from regular items. When you find one your character will load up a rucksack. Normal items don't count towards the resource pool.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. Now we wait for sandbox mode and hopefully some meaty DLC announcements.

Anyway, game is close to 680k as of last night, I expect it might have passed 680k by now, but it has slowed down considerably, which isn't entirely unexpected.

MS, to their credit, are heavily advertising it on the start dash. I've seen the SoD ad nearly every day this week.

680k is pretty amazing. They certainly deserve it.

Holy shit. Those patch notes. It's like a novel, I want to sit down in an overstuffed chair in my personal library and read it with a snifter of brandy in one hand.

I thought if you set a resource location as an outpost they would grab resources automatically for it? I'm finding myself having to continually manually search for ammo and building materials.

KageMaru

Awesome news about the patch, I was going to start a second game, but may just wait until tomorrow.

Holy shit. Those patch notes. It's like a novel, I want to sit down in an overstuffed chair in my personal library and read it with a snifter of brandy in one hand.

lol

I thought if you set a resource location as an outpost they would grab resources automatically for it? I'm finding myself having to continually manually search for ammo and building materials.
Yes.. But not very much, I think you get one or two extra units of that stuff a day. You will still need to scavenge personally and call for runners to help you haul stuff.

LowerLevel

If this continues to be this popular, that may very well be the next step... Novelization. On Kindle. More monies. So glad MS saw the potential! On my 2nd playthrough myself trying to get some skills raised, namely Cardio. Love this game.

Trigger

Ok Gaf. I know nothing about this game (in regards to its finer details)

What seperates this game from that Other game... (dead island)

- Simpler RPG progression system
-Focus on survival over combat
-3rd person perspective
-no weapon crafting
-perma death
- has an open persistent world

You should try the demo.

Mindlog

NEW: Enabled V-sync to eliminate screen tearing.

Holy crap. I haven't played since I beat the game a week ago. I wonder how dire the situation is now. Will probably load that game to knock off a few achievements and then start fresh.

burgerdog

NEW: Enabled V-sync to eliminate screen tearing.

Holy crap. I haven't played since I beat the game a week ago. I wonder how dire the situation is now. Will probably load that game to knock off a few achievements and then start fresh.

This is interesting, enabling vsync in Alan Wake: American Nightmare destroyed the framerate. Try this if you have the game on 360: find a spot where the game tears consistently > pan the camera back and forth in that spot to lower the fps/cause tearing > turn on vsync and pan the camera back and forth again and watch the fps dive bomb.

My Maya fell off a radio tower while attempting to go down the ladder, I thought for sure she was dead until she reappeared at my home base with the message 'Welcome back.' I was pleasantly surprised but I have no idea why that happened.

Lima

My Maya fell off a radio tower while attempting to go down the ladder, I thought for sure she was dead until she reappeared at my home base with the message 'Welcome back.' I was pleasantly surprised but I have no idea why that happened.

That happened to me too, really weird.

Wait whaaaaat?

that doesnt sound like a good thing?

It's not a good thing, it's a bloody great thing. Dead Island is you going around smashing in zeds, SoD is about you actually surviving a zed infested world where every action could be your last, where you have to build a community of survivors if you intend to survive and scavenge the town for supplies if you want that built up community to survive.

No-one is safe in SoD. Buy it and come to the realisation that no zed game will ever be the same again. It raises the bar that damn much,

It's not a good thing, it's a bloody great thing. Dead Island is you going around smashing in zeds, SoD is about you actually surviving a zed infested world where every action could be your last, where you have to build a community of survivors if you intend to survive and scavenge the town for supplies if you want that built up community to survive.

No-one is safe in SoD. Buy it and come to the realisation that no zed game will ever be the same again. It raises the bar that damn much,

so if u die, u have to start all over? ala hardcore diablo?

that's what im getting from the "perma-death" thing.

and what the hell is a zed game

so if u die, u have to start all over? ala hardcore diablo?

that's what im getting from the "perma-death" thing.

and what the hell is a zed game

Not sure how it works in Diablo, but here the world is persistent, There's no starting from the beginning in the sense the game kicks you back to the starting area. You simply switch to another character in your group and head back out into the zed infested world.

zed = zombie.

I'm set up in the warehouse now with all my survivors alive (as far as I know), a watchtower, an upgraded infirmary, an upgraded bunkhouse and a training area, and a couple outposts nearby with traps set up. I'm feeling pretty good about my situation.

I have all of that but didn't see an option for building a training area. I did build a library, infirmary and garden though. I don't even have any more space in the warehouse to build anything else
LLShC.gif

If you're done with State of Decay, you should hop into Rogue Legacy. Because of the unique death situation where you just continue with relatives (like in State of Decay with other survivors) and being able to lock the world down and your stats, that little bit of forgiveness makes this a great gateway drug to roguelike type games. At least it did for me.

If you're done with State of Decay, you should hop into Rogue Legacy. Because of the unique death situation where you just continue with relatives (like in State of Decay with other survivors) and being able to lock the world down and your stats, that little bit of forgiveness makes this a great gateway drug to roguelike type games. At least it did for me.

Thanks for the tip, will definitely be checking it out once I've got my gaming PC up and running.

My weapons don't break either, I assumed it was one of the base upgrades and they get repaired..

Have you been storing them in the supply locker? Pretty sure that's the only way to have them repaired.

I thought things like crowbars and wrenches don't break. I would be pretty hard to break one irl, amd that's what I thought they'd be going for.

No they break. It just takes a very long time to break one. This is not a bug, the weapons are just very durable.
Hmm maybe because it's because I spam dropkick + finisher, maybe that doesn't affect the weapon durability. I rarely use normal attacks.

ShogunX

Been playing the demo recently and the pop in is really bothering me.

Does stuff always pop in like this only a few feet away (items, shadows, textures)?

Top Bottom