• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psy-Phi

Gemini Rue is now available on Steam fellow adventure game enthusiasts. I highly suggest picking it up. It's a great throwback, and very engrossing.

Giantbomb did a QL of it long ago. Made me buy it from them direct through the mail. I'll probably buy it again on Steam though.

zkylon

zkylewd
SteelAttack said:
Is the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. bundle recommended (SoC/CoP) or would I be better off with just Shadow of Chernobyl?
Never played CoP, but you should at least get SoC. One of the finest games ever, if you take the time to install a few mods.

coopolon said:
I'd recommend everyone stay as far away as possible from Bioshock 2 on PC. It's a really terrible port. I'm actually partial to the game itself (another one I beat on 360 awhile ago and then repurchased for cheap on PC), the but the controls are pretty awful.

I'm not normally all that sensitive to mouse issues (i.e. I can't tell any difference when turning on and off vsync) but the mouse in that game is atrocious, even after turning off everything you can. And there is no native support for gamepad.

This does not bode well for XCOM.

Really? I hated BS2 on principle but I thought that the port was okay aside from the fact that the fov feels like it's about 30.

New Rock of Ages update.

Rock of Ages 1.05 Update Released
posted by [ACE] cbordeu @ 03:13PM on October 27, 2011
The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

- Added new Jack-o’-Lantern Boulder to character selection list.
- Updated main menu with Halloween theme.
- Fixed crash that was occurring through Custom Matches.
- Fixed version mismatch issue that was leading to online connectivity problems.
- Game menus can now be navigated with a controller.
- Updated ‘Breaker’, ‘Smasher’ & ‘Obliterator’ achievements so they can also be obtained against an AI opponent.
- Player is no longer forced to use the ‘Sisyphus Buddy’ boulder for the single-player campaign. Now the campaign can be played with any Boulder design.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/RockofAges

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
morningbus said:
Bioshock 2 also does not feature native pad support, for some reason.

Are you sure? Mine worked without issue out of the box, so to speak.

coopolon

jim-jam bongs said:
Really? I hated BS2 on principle but I thought that the port was okay aside from the fact that the fov feels like it's about 30.

It just never felt right to me. It's actually the only FPS I can think of that I gave up on because I couldn't get the controls to feel good. I would go from playing Bioshock 2 to pretty much any other FPS on the same exact hardware and the difference would be night and day. Admittedly I'm terrible at articulating what was wrong with it. Just didn't feel responsive no matter what settings/config files I edited.

It also is not a very good looking game on PC due to pretty terrible texture work.

Sunflower said:

Pretty sure.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Sunflower said:

Really? I could have sworn I heard some PR line about how they "tailored the game to work perfectly on mouse and keyboard!" Or, you know, code for we can't be bothered to do a fairly simple tweak that's already built in to the engine.

coopolon said:
It just never felt right to me. It's actually the only FPS I can think of that I gave up on because I couldn't get the controls to feel good. I would go from playing Bioshock 2 to pretty much any other FPS on the same exact hardware and the difference would be night and day. Admittedly I'm terrible at articulating what was wrong with it. Just didn't feel responsive no matter what settings/config files I edited.

It also is not a very good looking game on PC due to pretty terrible texture work.

That does sound like a bit of mouse-smoothing nastiness for sure, I wonder why I never noticed? And yeah, the fact that the game shipped with lower-res textures than those in Bioshock was pretty shameful.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Psy-Phi said:
Gemini Rue is now available on Steam fellow adventure game enthusiasts. I highly suggest picking it up. It's a great throwback, and very engrossing.
... I'll probably buy it again on Steam though.

You don't need to buy it again, you can contact the devs to get a Steam key.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Bit underwhelmed.

Vampire (already have)
Rock of ages (it can go lower)
Are the only real good things out of that bunch. VERY surprised Costume Quest isn't in there.

Tomodachi

MmmSkyscraper said:
You don't need to buy it again, you can contact the devs to get a Steam key.
Won't they give the steam key to anyone who bought the bundle? I was patiently waiting for my key to arrive actually, do you mean I have to ask them directly for my key?

Kuro Madoushi said:
Bit underwhelmed.

Vampire (already have)
Rock of ages (it can go lower)
Are the only real good things out of that bunch. VERY surprised Costume Quest isn't in there.
Costume Quest just came out, if it went on sale there would be a total freakout by the people who already bought it. They should've just waited till now to release it and priced it on sale for $10.

zkylon

zkylewd
jim-jam bongs said:
That does sound like a bit of mouse-smoothing nastiness for sure, I wonder why I never noticed? And yeah, the fact that the game shipped with lower-res textures than those in Bioshock was pretty shameful.
There's definitively something wonky about aiming with a mouse in both Bioshock games. I think it's probably the mouse smoothing thing from UE but i don't know, i always switch it off in the engine.ini but i have the memory of being very frustrated about how mouse aim felt.

Bioshock 2 is a pretty decent game nonetheless. Setting up traps, luring Big Daddies to help you, and overall preparing and fighting against Big Sisters was great. And then there's that WTF moment. In many ways, i liked it better than Bio1, even if it's the less necessary sequel in existence.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A theory just occurred to me: the reason Big Picture Mode seems to be taking forever is because Valve are finally implementing official split-screen support in their PC games. After all, the mode is intended to facilitate the use of Steam on larger home displays such as TVs and the lounge room is where the vast majority of split-screen MP takes place. As such, releasing Big Picture Mode alongside Source-wide split-screen support makes perfect sense.

JaseC said:
A theory just occurred to me: the reason Big Picture Mode seems to be taking forever is because Valve are finally implementing official split-screen support in their PC games. After all, the mode is intended to facilitate the use of Steam on larger home displays such as TVs and the lounge room is where the vast majority of split-screen MP takes place. As such, releasing Big Picture Mode alongside Source-wide split-screen support makes perfect sense.

I've had this thought for a while. Makes perfect sense to do so, since Valve generally showcases big Steam features with their own titles. I wonder if they'll go beyond just adding it to L4D series and Portal 2 though? Maybe they'll include it in TF2, CS:S, CS:GO, etc.

morningbus

Portal 2 and L4D would make perfect sense for such a feature. All the hooks are there and have already been modded in in most cases.

JaseC

crimsonheadGCN said:
I've had this thought for a while. Makes perfect sense to do so, since Valve generally showcases big Steam features with their own titles. I wonder if they'll go beyond just adding it to L4D series and Portal 2 though? Maybe they'll include it in TF2, CS:S, CS:GO, etc.

Competitive MP is where split-screen becomes iffy as if one of you dies, the other is effectively screen cheating since the dead player is now a spectator. The fade-to-black server setting is helpful in this regard, but it's typically saved for wars/competitive matches.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
JaseC said:
Competitive MP is where split-screen becomes iffy as if one of you dies, the other is effectively screen cheating since the dead player is now a spectator. The fade-to-black server setting is helpful in this regard, but it's typically saved for wars/competitive matches.
Controller on TV Output, keyboard+mouse on monitor output.

It's splitscreen, since the game is outputting to two screens. It's just not on the same screen.

Problem fixed.

JaseC

drizzle said:
Controller on TV Output, keyboard+mouse on monitor output.

It's splitscreen, since the game is outputting to two screens. It's just not on the same screen.

Problem fixed.

A novel idea, though I believe Valve will simply forgo split-screen support in their competitive games.

Edit: Or, a fade-to-black screen will be forced client-side to the screen of the deceased - a far more simpler and practical solution.

Glass Rebel said:
Renegade Ops is such a mess. Wasn't this delayed to optimize it for the PC?

You would think so.

Apparently the pre-orders I had canceled aren't going to be refunded to my debit card so now I have a lot of credit to waste on this Halloween sale. Damn you, Steam!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
LastWindow said:
Apparently the pre-orders I had canceled aren't going to be refunded to my debit card so now I have a lot of credit to waste on this Halloween sale. Damn you, Steam!
Hold them until Xmas sale, you fool.

morningbus

Askani said:
Just in case someone missed it, as one of my friends almost did:

Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII are $2 each...or you can buy the combo pack for $2 and get both.
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/8848/

To clarify: even with the separate, individual entries, you get both games. There is no way to buy one without the other. So it is always only $2.00.

Askani

LastWindow said:

Well, if you want to feel better, I'll PM you the my $35 list of games that I want from the sale I can't afford and you can gift them to me. Then you get to be charitable and you don't have to worry about money in your Steam Wallet. No need to thank me, I'm happy to help you out. :p

morningbus said:
To clarify: even with the separate, individual entries, you get both games. There is no way to buy one without the other.

Oh...well hot damn. Even better

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
QuantumBro said:
Costume Quest just came out, if it went on sale there would be a total freakout by the people who already bought it. They should've just waited till now to release it and priced it on sale for $10.
Don't have any names offhand, but I do recall them discounting new releases for a big sale. Also, the game isn't even really new.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
JaseC said:
Edit: Or, a fade-to-black screen will be forced client-side - a far more simpler and practical solution.
I actually played on a CSS server a couple years ago with my brother and it detected we were on the same IP and would do the black screen on spec.

Glass Rebel said:
Renegade Ops is such a mess. Wasn't this delayed to optimize it for the PC?
I feel lucky having it run flawlessly on my i5/460.

confused

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Don't have any names offhand, but I do recall them discounting new releases for a big sale. Also, the game isn't even really new.

I can almost guarantee you that MW3 will have a 33% discount during the Xmas sale.

JaseC

Stallion Free said:
I actually played on a CSS server a couple years ago with my brother and it detected we were on the same IP and would do the black screen on spec.

Haha, clever.

Bumhead

Banned
Not sure what to do about Amnesia.

£2.60 is such a great price, but £2.60 is still £2.60 wasted if all I end up doing is scaring myself shitless and never playing it again like I did with Penumbra.

Mat C said:

£2.60 is such a great price, but £2.60 is still £2.60 wasted if all I end up doing is scaring myself shitless and never playing it again like I did with Penumbra.

Yeah, that's all I've done so far. I doubt I'll ever finish it.

Joe Molotov said:
Scratches is fucking awesome, Dark Fall is meh, the Sherlock Holmes games are okay. Also, Dracula Origins was pretty good, but there are a few puzzles that will make you tear your hair out.
Thanks for the impressions. I think I'll skip Dark Fall (already have Lights Out and The Journal but I haven't played them yet.) and the Sherlock Holmes games for now.
I'm not quite sure if I should get Scratches on steam or gog. I think I'll wait and see if gog has a halloween sale.

I higly recommend Painkiller Black to anyone who loves fast paced old-school fps. No need to get the complete pack since the expansion packs weren't developed by People Can Fly.

Mat C said:

I bought Amnesia at $10 and still haven't played it because I'm afraid of being too afraid to play it.

Yeah, I'm meta.

Mat C said:

Same boat....I always feel the need to buy it when it goes on sale just from the GAF hype alone. Then I realize i will never play it because I do no not feel like buying new shorts every time I play it

confused

Banned
Mat C said:

I did this, so yeah.

Gvaz

Banned
I already have most of these games, and the other shit I wouldn't buy for any price point (railworks, terraria) but Dead Space 2 for $10? Hrmmmmmmmm I'll have to think hard on that one.

Also I have killing floor but hate MP games, oh well.

GET AMNESIA YOU BIG PUSSYCATS

Blizzard

Banned
Mat C said:

I'm the same, except I know that I don't want to buy it. Penumbra was enough for me.

I think Terraria seems like a pretty awesome game, and Railworks is pretty cool, and getting the free upgrade to the second and third version was neat, but I too have games that I will probably never buy for any price. If I named them, however, people would yell at me that I should buy them!
Super Meat Boy Amnesia Arkham Asylum Binding of Isaac

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Gvaz said:
I already have most of these games, and the other shit I wouldn't buy for any price point (railworks, terraria) but Dead Space 2 for $10? Hrmmmmmmmm I'll have to think hard on that one.

Also I have killing floor but hate MP games, oh well.

GET AMNESIA YOU BIG PUSSYCATS
I already did! And all I got for it was motion sickness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom