• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flunkie

Banned
Serious Sam where you been all my life? Played The Second Encounter for the entry into the series and I'm having a blast. I can't run my GPU on everything Ultra though. I have to turn down the textures (the first option). :( Sad for a game that can run Arkham City on high! :(

biocat

I actually tried the demo/early beta/whatever it was. Then I was sad because there weren't AI bots and it turned out to be expensive and stuff.

$10 is close, but I think I will be ultra cheap and agree that $5 to $7.50 would be my range. And with Steam...*folds hangs together*...I have all the time in the world to wait.

(did they add co-op versus AI multiplayer comp stomps for the full game?)
Well, it's $9 at Gamersgate and it activates on Steam. Is that close enough?

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-RUSE/ruse-the-art-of-deception

Scythian

So, in Dungeon Defenders, I've a glitch in which my character appears invisible in the Select Heroes screen? I have a tweaked .ini

Joe Molotov

I paid $35 for RUSE and it was totally worth it.

Sold that Octopus hat for $300.
lk51o.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
I joined steam in august so I have no clue what is being talked about with this Ruse contest at the moment.
There was a thing where people could buy games (some cheap, some rather expensive?) and get achievements of some sort (some easy, some painfully difficult?). People who got every achievement got a big writhing octopus hat in TF2 so that they could tentaculate people.

All these Tentacles...

Why isn't Day of the Tentacle on steam? The Dig is...

Stupid Lucasarts. Stop sucking.

I always thought it was odd that they put four of their older adventure games on there and stopped. Not including the Monkey Island remakes.

Wow that sounds like alot of fun.

The Summer sale event was similar, just no TF2 hats that are now worth a stupid amount of money.

Blizzard

Banned
Wow that sounds like alot of fun.
To an extent, but it also forced some people to pay $5 billion dollars for the Modern Warfare Steam Version, or play Beat Hazard until their eyeballs fell out to beat a certain score. I seem to recall people being like "Well, I'll never play THAT game again" after certain challenges.

Joe Molotov

To an extent, but it also forced some people to pay $5 billion dollars for the Modern Warfare Steam Version, or play Beat Hazard until their eyeballs fell out to beat a certain score. I seem to recall people being like "Well, I'll never play THAT game again" after certain challenges.

Ha ha, I remember people going nuts over that Shatter objective. All the rest were fairly easy, it was just a matter of owning the games.

ArjanN

I paid $35 for RUSE and it was totally worth it.

Sold that Octopus hat for $300.
lk51o.jpg

Someone offered me 350 for my octopus hat yesterday. Someday I'll retrire off that hat.

I wonder if they'll have a similar item this year, I know there's another contest coming up for Christmas, there's several new (not yet active) achievements in games like Rock of Ages, Defense Grid and Killing Floor.

I always thought it was odd that they put four of their older adventure games on there and stopped. Not including the Monkey Island remakes.

I love The Dig, the Indiana games are pretty good, but I'm not the biggest fan of Loom. Why can't we have Full throttle, or the maniac mansion games? How about the original sam and max. It can't be that hard, its just a rom + dos box. I guess those four were a "test" and we "failed". Also I really want Grim Fandango (although that might have some technical issues involved, I don't actually know).

Blizzard

Banned
Ha ha, I remember people going nuts over that Shatter objective. All the rest were fairly easy, it was just a matter of owning the games.
In my old age, I may also be confusing the treasure hunt with summer stuff, and/or the great potato hunt for Portal 2.

I still felt like some of the treasure hunt objectives were really tough, but I wasn't very good at AAAAAA for instance.

Joe Molotov

I wonder if they'll have a similar item this year, I know there's another contest coming up for Christmas, there's several new (not yet active) achievements in games like Rock of Ages, Defense Grid and Killing Floor.

During the Portal 2 ARG, everyone that did it got the Valve Complete Pack and a Golden Potato icon, but back during the last summer sale you go nothing for doing all that stuff (and some of it was pretty ridiculous).

I love The Dig, the Indiana games are pretty good, but I'm not the biggest fan of Loom. Why can't we have Full throttle, or the maniac mansion games? How about the original sam and max. It can't be that hard, its just a rom + dos box. I guess those four were a "test" and we "failed". Also I really want Grim Fandango (although that might have some technical issues involved, I don't actually know).

Apparently LucasArts changed presidents and the newer one has no desire to continue with their older stuff, and the guy who was president before was really into it. So other than the games appearing on GOG I doubt we'll see anything more for awhile. I just want Zak McKraken as it's the only one of their adventure games I haven't played.

In my old age, I may also be confusing the treasure hunt with summer stuff, and/or the great potato hunt for Portal 2.

I still felt like some of the treasure hunt objectives were really tough, but I wasn't very good at AAAAAA for instance.

After looking over the achievements on the Wiki page there's no way I would have gotten some of them. Kudos to those who did, some seem insane.

ArjanN

I like that the contest was harder for cheapskates who didn't buy any of the games until the actual contest. :p

Even the harder achievements weren't really that hard if you played the game for a while, but there were lots of people rushing to get some tricky achievements without fully understanding the game mechanics yet, which was frustrating for some.

Apparently LucasArts changed presidents and the newer one has no desire to continue with their older stuff, and the guy who was president before was really into it. So other than the games appearing on GOG I doubt we'll see anything more for awhile. I just want Zak McKraken as it's the only one of their adventure games I haven't played.

After looking over the achievements on the Wiki page there's no way I would have gotten some of them. Kudos to those who did, some seem insane.

Haha, well, I think there's only about 500 of the octopus hats out there. It's great for lording over people...and getting trade request spam/phishing links.

And I would like the see more oldschool LucasArts games on Steam, but with the same sort of makeover the Monkey Island games got. I've beaten all them before and still have them, so just putting the barebones versions on Steam wouldn't be very exciting to me.

What a smart guy! Fracture is surely the future of the entire industry!

They're probably making too much money off the lego star wars games to care anymore :(

BUT IT WOULD TAKE SO LITTLE EFFORT! ITS PRACTICALLY FREE MONEY! GODDAMMIT!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

The Summer sale event was similar, just no TF2 hats that are now worth a stupid amount of money.

The CEO who was all gung ho about reviving their classic games was voted out by the board of directors and they replaced him with someone dedicated to turning Lucasarts back into a shovelware factory.

EDIT: Man I hate posting here from work, I always have tabs open too long and when I get my reply out 6 other people have already answered. =p

Eusis

What the fuck is LucasArts even putting out though? They've got Star Wars Kinect, The Old Republic (which is co-published by EA anyway) then... what? They may as well put up the older games due to putting nothing else out at all, at least they'd get a bit of extra money while they twiddle their thumbs.

I was at the "DD has turned the g. industry into anti consumer beast" thread and i heard some of the guys use the back up option.

Exactly how does it works and what advantage do you have by doing a back up?

Out of curiosity, does off line mode work properly for you? In my case terrible, manages to make it work once and never again. That got me to investigate and seems to be a widespread problem.

What a smart guy! Fracture is surely the future of the entire industry!

They're probably making too much money off the lego star wars games to care anymore :(

BUT IT WOULD TAKE SO LITTLE EFFORT! ITS PRACTICALLY FREE MONEY! GODDAMMIT!

I know, it's frustrating. At least TellTale has continued Monkey Island and Sam & Max.

The CEO who was all gung ho about reviving their classic games was voted out by the board of directors and they replaced him with someone dedicated to turning Lucasarts back into a shovelware factory.

EDIT: Man I hate posting here from work, I always have tabs open too long and when I get my reply out 6 other people have already answered. =p

The board of directors must consist of a bunch of teenagers who demand more shooters, as they've apparently got a license to use the Unreal engine and have a couple of them planned. Not that there's anything wrong with that but Fracture really soured me.

I was at the "DD has turned the g. industry into anti consumer beast" thread and i heard some of the guys use the back up option.

Out of curiosity, does off line mode work properly for you? In my case terrible, manages to make it work once and never again. That got me to investigate and seems to be a widespread problem.

I don't usually use either feature, so I probably won't be much help, but i'll try.

Most people I know who back up are just doing it so when they reformat they don't sit there watching shit download for days again. Oh and the option to do it is just in the menu up top. You just select where to backup and it just backs it up.

Regarding off line mode, I've heard many people complain about how it never works, but the few times when the internet has been down, or my power out (laptops yay!) I've had ZERO issues with offline mode. I just start steam, it says it can't connect, I say offline anyway and bam I'm playing games again.

Blizzard

Banned

A backup just saves you download time in theory. If your account were disabled due to suspected credit card fraud or whatnot, you still couldn't use the files.

As for offline mode, I tried it a couple of times when someone was mentioning problems. It worked perfectly in each case. I think the only case I haven't tried is the one where you shut down, unplug your network cable, THEN start up your computer without internet access at all.

Of course, even if that works for me also, it doesn't mean other people won't have problems. It seems to vary from person to person.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I got Ruse for free thanks to an Ubisoft website error a while back. Redeemed it on Steam and still haven't touched it.

I can't imagine paying for it. The UK price is also quite steep at £9.99.

Eusis

Backup is under Steam in the top left corner of the client. The advantage I think is mainly to put it all into one large file or seperate for backup on CD (ah hahaha), DVD, or blu-ray. You could however just copy the Steamapps folder just as easily, which may be more practical in cases like reformatting a hard drive or hard drive partition if you have a large enough place to throw it on for the time being, then you just copy it back after reinstalling and install the games again.

Steam has a back-up and restore utility built in, but there's another way games can be backed up which someone else will have to explain as I don't remember how to do it.

As far as offline mode, it's worked for me with no problems but I know others have had issues.

ArjanN

During the Portal 2 ARG, everyone that did it got the Valve Complete Pack and a Golden Potato icon, but back during the last summer sale you go nothing for doing all that stuff (and some of it was pretty ridiculous).

During the summer sale you got free DLC for getting the achievements, but there wasn't a prize for getting all the achievements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom