• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Boy

Banned
Anybody have some tips for starting with Dota 2?

* Don't play with Gaffers, its worse than playing with randoms. I'm not trying to stir the pot, but you will get called all sorts of names by them.
* Play Bot matches to learn the basic mechanics and how each hero works so you can counter and use them
* Recommend item builds are a good place to start for newbies (try and get some boots with each hero)
* Play in Practice matches to start with as thats what they are their for. Get some experience before going into matchmaking.
* Watch some streams or in game matches to learn how things work. Observation is a good learning tool.
* Don't be afraid to ask questions in a Practice match.
* Runes spawn every 2 minutes in the river (either top or bottom). Runes are basically temporary power ups
* If playing a support hero buy Vision Wards or a courier, the gold investment is beneficial to the team.

HoosTrax

I'm kind of face-palming at the fact that Civ V is ranked #2 on the Steam charts right now. I foresee a lot of whining threads on SPUF in a day or two when it becomes the daily deal, from the people who bought it when it was only 50% off.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Anybody have some tips for starting with Dota 2? I got an invite and I have no idea what I'm doing. I've only played dota a few years ago with my roommate, and I didn't really learn it. I don't want to ruin a bunch of people's games trying to figure it out, it takes like 5 minutes just to get a group matched!

http://www.welcometodota2.com/2012/01/purges-inclusive-guide-for-noobs-aka.html

* Don't play with Gaffers, its worse than playing with randoms. I'm not trying to stir the pot, but you will get called all sorts of names by them.

haha

So I reinstalled Risen, didn't get any sort of a dialogue for TAGES during the process *BUT* this is the exact same machine I initially installed Risen on. However I don't see any process for TAGES running in task manager when I start the game though. Anyone else wanna try to verify the removal of TAGES from Risen? Fresh machine or first time player?

Edit: Derp, just read through this page.

Nabs

Yeah, it looks insane. Especially if you force some more AA. Listen to him and forget online exists.

benjipwns

Banned
Should note it does get the updated rosters and NBA Today stuff, when they aren't uploading the PS3 version by accident, so it's not completely "offline only" in that regard. It's just the whole playing with others online and stuff like that which is best forgotten about.

Breaking News. The Gotham City Impostors PC patch is live and 1.16 gigs big. I'll report back later with how well the patch handles things.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Does Gotham City Imposters even have an audience left? I kind of wanted it, but figured it'd die out super quick.

Does Gotham City Imposters even have an audience left? I kind of wanted it, but figured it'd die out super quick.

I always find players whenever I'm on, even in the mornings. This game is a shitload of fun although there's a ton of eula's and bullshit you have to wade through. And the reason this game sorta fell off the steam charts is because of reported smoother gameplay when not going through the steam launcher. I just hope the patch makes this game not such an online clusterfuck so I can have fun with it.

Sysgen

From a Pinball thread on gaf

The Pinball Arcade: We haven't made a final decision about the PC distribution channel. The folks at Valve seem a little skeptical that Steam users want to play pinball. We might post an email address a little later for anyone who disagrees :)

If true I don't like where this is going. I recently purchased DCS: Blackshark and version 2 isn't on Steam either because Valve doesn't think Steam users want to fly choppers? I realize the number of users for Simulations isn't great but I hope this isn't dictating Valve's green light. If it's a quality simulation put it on Steam and I'd buy it.

MRORANGE

So played Rayman 2 this week on Steam and it's still great.

Pro's
- Steam version of the game supports widescreen
- Can use a 360 pad, cannot map buttons however
- it's a exact port of the pc version from 1999 so that's great

Con's
- 16bit pallet? I was using a lcd, so that might be the issue (it's a very old game)
- no steam overlay for some reason

so yeah plays amazingly well for a 13 year old game, took me a few hours to complete it, I recall it took me MONTHS to try and finish the game, especially the second to last level with the flying rocket in the spaceship... that was painful.

YcHn8.jpg

Pro's

Con's
- 16bit pallet? I was using a lcd, so that might be the issue (it's a very old game)

so yeah plays amazingly well for a 13 year old game, took me a few hours to complete it, I recall it took me MONTHS to try and finish the game, especially the second to last level with the flying rocket in the spaceship... that was painful.

http://i.imgur.com/YcHn8.jpg

You can play at 1080p without ini editing?
Did you notice the game capping the framerate to 30 in certain levels?

MRORANGE

You can play at 1080p without ini editing?
Did you notice the game capping the framerate to 30 in certain levels?

when you launch the game you have two options, play game or run graphics set-up, in there you can select your resolution, my monitor is only 1680x1050 but I guess it goes to any resolution, as for frame capping 30/60 fps not sure, I know the original had it.

ShaneB

From a Pinball thread on gaf

If true I don't like where this is going. I recently purchased DCS: Blackshark and version 2 isn't on Steam either because Valve doesn't think Steam users want to fly choppers? I realize the number of users for Simulations isn't great but I hope this isn't dictating Valve's green light. If it's a quality simulation put it on Steam and I'd buy it.

:( I would love the hell out of a great pinball game on Steam :(

when you launch the game you have two options, play game or run graphics set-up, in there you can select your resolution, my monitor is only 1680x1050 but I guess it goes to any resolution, as for frame capping 30/60 fps not sure, I know the original had it.

I just noticed that there's a separate setup launcher for the GOG version. I have no idea how I missed that before.
The fps cap is really annoying. Rayman 3s framerate is unlocked but the water runs at twice the speed if you're playing at 120fps.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Pro's

Con's

YcHn8.jpg

I can't find Rayman 2 on steam at all. Have you go a link?

bigace33

Is Mafia II unique/fresh to the open world genre?
I wouldn't consider it an open world game. It is more story driven. It has great missions and a lot of mindless shooting. I loved it. For $7.50 it is an absolute steal. The campaign is pretty lengthy too.

MizzouRah

Is Mafia II unique/fresh to the open world genre?

I played Mafia II on 360 after being a HUGE fan of the PC original. While the world is technically open, there is nothing to do. Don't treat the game like an open world game in the same style as GTA or Just Cause. You will be disappointed. If, you treat it like a linear action game, with open branches to travel from place to place it is one of the finest told stories in gaming. I loved this game. Just don't expect filler.

Plus... Boobz.

The_End

Anybody think that the Digital Deluxe version of Mafia II is worth the extra $2.50? Here are the extras:

Made Man Pack: Free access to in-game downloadable pack that lets players get behind the wheel of two different luxury automobiles modeled after classic cars from the period. In addition, Vito will look the part with two new “made man” suits, including a vintage tux.

Digital Art Book: Get to know the families of Empire Bay with a photo album-style Digital art book that takes fans through the artistic design process of the game.

Orchestral Soundtrack: Immerse yourself in Empire Bay’s symphonic masterpiece with the Mafia II score recorded by the Prague FILMHarmonic Orchestra.

Digital Map of Empire Bay: Get familiar with the neighborhoods and own the streets with the Digital map depicting the 10 square miles of Empire Bay and all the hangout spots.

The first and last items seem like the only interesting items to me. Specifically, I'd like to ask about the map. How useful would that be in the game?

Is Mafia II's DLC worthwhile? I didn't care much for the main game, but I like the idea of playing as Joe...

Missions are only score attack (Jimmy's Vendetta and Joe's Adventure if I can remember). No point.
Cars, costumes and car are always nice I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom