• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Is Mafia II's DLC worthwhile? I didn't care much for the main game, but I like the idea of playing as Joe...

No point in buying the DLC: the start of Joe's seems promising, but in the end, it is just like Jimmy's: no cut-scene, just boring missions.

Good god, Hector Badge of Carnage looks really funny. Why hadn't I heard of this game before, I even have most other telltale point-and-click games.

I can help anyone who needs to buy from the U.S. store. Send a friend request through Steam to Renix. I'm the Renix with the same avatar as here and you can also find me in the gaf steam group.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hey is anyone here from Russia? For some bizarre reason the piece of Mafia 2 DLC "Betrayal of Jimmy" is only available on the Russian store and I want to get it. PM if me if you can help.

Is Joe's adventure worth $2.49? I already beat the vanilla version of Mafia 2 and really enjoyed it.

Joe's Adventure has some of the best story missions in the game so yeah, it's worth 2.49$.

Uriah

Anybody think that the Digital Deluxe version of Mafia II is worth the extra $2.50? Here are the extras:

Made Man Pack: Free access to in-game downloadable pack that lets players get behind the wheel of two different luxury automobiles modeled after classic cars from the period. In addition, Vito will look the part with two new “made man” suits, including a vintage tux.

Digital Art Book: Get to know the families of Empire Bay with a photo album-style Digital art book that takes fans through the artistic design process of the game.

Orchestral Soundtrack: Immerse yourself in Empire Bay’s symphonic masterpiece with the Mafia II score recorded by the Prague FILMHarmonic Orchestra.

Digital Map of Empire Bay: Get familiar with the neighborhoods and own the streets with the Digital map depicting the 10 square miles of Empire Bay and all the hangout spots.

The first and last items seem like the only interesting items to me. Specifically, I'd like to ask about the map. How useful would that be in the game?

No, I bought it when the game came out.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Is that not the same as Jimmy's Vendetta?

Apparently not:

The Betrayal of Jimmy was originally a PlayStation 3-exclusive DLC add-on, however it is now also available as DLC on the Xbox 360 (Special Edition only, not available on marketplace). The player controls Jimmy, a gun for hire who will do any job for the right price. The main character, Jimmy, is the same character from Jimmy's Vendetta. The Betrayal of Jimmy is not canon with Mafia II.

&

The Russian company 1C officialy announced "Mafia 2: Extended Edition" for Russian market. It will include the game, 4 DLC (Vegas Pack, Renegade Pack, Greaser Pack, and War Hero Pack), and "The Betrayal of Jimmy" as well as 2 other addons (Jimmy's Vendetta and Joe's Adventures). It was released on December 3, 2010 for PC. It will be released for Xbox 360 later.

The_End

As I understand it, they don't use Paypal in Russia. How would you be able to pay somebody in Russia back for gifting you the DLC? I assume that there's some other payment service that Russians can use, but I have no idea what that would be.

Something just hit me:

After I took the final test for the semester today, which was to some extent about graph theory, I finally had time to play some games again.

Played some Hamilton's Great Adventure. Then I noticed. It's a game about solving graph problems! Even the name makes sense now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamiltonian_path

Was that widely known and am I just a slowpoke?

fallout

Something just hit me:

After I took the final test for the semester today, which was to some extent about graph theory, I finally had time to play some games again.

Played some Hamilton's Great Adventure. Then I noticed. It's a game about solving graph problems! Even the name makes sense now.

My computer science education failed me! This is pretty clever and I feel bad for not having noticed it myself.

Wok

Something just hit me:

I did not get the joke in the title, although I knew about the theory behind. Most of the paths aren't Hamiltonian in the game, since Hamilton can walk twice on some vertices.

wqafO.jpg

If you like this kind of games, try English Country Tune (there is a demo), which brings the game a bit further.

1-D_FTW

Thank you both. I just saved myself a few bucks :)

Joe's adventure has a bunch of generic missions, but I think I remember 5 full story missions that are pretty great and worth the 2.50. Would have preferred the DLC been shorter and been cut down on the filler, but if you don't mind grinding a bit, they're worth playing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Still haven't finished Mafia 2. I liked it for the most part, but I got hit with a nasty bug in one of the final chapters. It's the part where you have to acquire a bunch of money to proceed...apparently if you make money by robbing stores, rather than stealing cars, you get stuck on an eternal loading screen between chapters 14 and 15. This bug is in the PS3, 360 and PC versions of the game and has not been fixed (unless a fix has come out within the past six months, which is unlikely). I would have to restart the entire chapter to do it right, but I don't feel like doing all that fuckin' driving again.

Link: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?82280-Chapter-14-Pay-Bruno-Back

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Can you just buy it, or is it for subscribers only?

You can buy it without being a subscriber. It's basically a reskinned Direct2Drive.

I don't really care for their set up. I don't think you can even view your owned games without downloading the Gamefly client.

Detox

As I understand it, they don't use Paypal in Russia. How would you be able to pay somebody in Russia back for gifting you the DLC? I assume that there's some other payment service that Russians can use, but I have no idea what that would be.

They usually use Webmoney.

Xyber

So, I just bought Mafia 2 from Amazon.com because that would be much cheaper than just buying it on Steam here in Europe. I have done this three times before without any issues. But now, Steam says that the game is not available in my country when I try to activate the CD-key. So I guess it only activates in US.

As I am too lazy to try and get a refund from Amazon I just figured I could give this code to someone here in exchange for this game http://store.steampowered.com/app/901741/

You will get Mafia 2 for $5 then, a pretty good deal if you ask me. :)

MRORANGE

So, I just bought Mafia 2 from Amazon.com because that would be much cheaper than just buying it on Steam here in Europe. I have done this three times before without any issues. But now, Steam says that the game is not available in my country when I try to activate the CD-key. So I guess it only activates in US.

As I am too lazy to try and get a refund from Amazon I just figured I could give this code to someone here in exchange for this game http://store.steampowered.com/app/901741/

go here: Steam Trading OT

ngt

Or you can use US VPN to activate the game :)

BosSin

I'm thinking about getting the Double Fine bundle for stacking and costume quest (already completed psychonauts), what say you GAF?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
is it possible nba 2k12 sells for cheaper by the 12th?

It's possible that it could receive a daily sale (probably 75% off), only MLB2K12 is officially excluded. Kind of wish I didn't buy NBA2K11 from Amazon just a few weeks back, but it was only seven bucks.

I'm thinking about getting the Double Fine bundle for stacking and costume quest (already completed psychonauts), what say you GAF?

There both great games, stacking being an adventure game and costume quest being like paper mario.
You'll save $2.50 by buying them separately.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I haven't really played a game for like 2 months. What the fuck am I doing with all these games?

MNC

So played Rayman 2 this week on Steam and it's still great.

Pro's
- Steam version of the game supports widescreen
- Can use a 360 pad, cannot map buttons however
- it's a exact port of the pc version from 1999 so that's great

Con's
- 16bit pallet? I was using a lcd, so that might be the issue (it's a very old game)
- no steam overlay for some reason

so yeah plays amazingly well for a 13 year old game, took me a few hours to complete it, I recall it took me MONTHS to try and finish the game, especially the second to last level with the flying rocket in the spaceship... that was painful.

YcHn8.jpg

Man I forgot how much I loved the Robo pirates and Razorbeard.

PaulLFC

Bought the Hector games, but what sort of weird resolution do they run at in windowed mode? Seemed that whatever resolution I chose from the list, the window would have black bars either at the top and bottom, or at the sides, depending on the resolution. There didn't seem to be a setting that would just show the window without bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom