• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Nice! I played an early build of this but last I heard, he'd abandoned the project.

Glad I was wrong.

EDIT:

http://www.konjak.org/iconoclasts.zip

"This game is not abandoned. I released this alpha version when I was losing some motivation on it and have since decided to come back to it, and I'm giving my best. This version is already quite inferior to what I have now, like the current version is in HD resolution and has many fixes and additions even to older areas."

Good to hear.

Dambrosi

Banned
How's the resolution support?

I'll let you know as soon as Microsoft .NETFramework stops installing. :mad:

EDIT: First time I tried to run it, I got an "Installing Microsoft .NETFramework" message for at least five minutes, cancelled out of it.

Second time, it finished installing and then gave me a graphics card error (!). It then started up, but with no sound. Exited out.

Third time, it started up OK, but still no sound. Went into settings, saw no resolution or sound config options, so set the game to Windowed and exited out.

And now, I have two Steam Update windows (!) and an XNA Redistributable install dialog (!!) coming at me OUTSIDE THE GAME. This is weird.

I'll try it again, but if there's still no sound and/or some other crazy error, I'll just toss it up as a lost cause (until a bug fix comes out). Pity, the game looks cool.

Wok

The Indie Underdog pack will be up in about 35 hours.

It is up, with a teaser. Not on Steam, yet DRM-free.

nZ9yA.jpg

Dambrosi

Banned
My Adventures with Wizorb - Chapter 1: The Initializing

First time I tried to run it, I got an "Installing Microsoft .NETFramework" message for at least five minutes, cancelled out of it.

Second time, it finished installing and then gave me a graphics card error (!). It then started up, but with no sound. Exited out.

Third time, apart from a weird Steam Sync problem, it started up OK, but still no sound. Went into settings, saw no resolution or sound config options, so set the game to Windowed and exited out.

And now, I have two Steam Update windows (!) and an XNA Redistributable install dialog (!!) coming at me OUTSIDE THE GAME. This is weird.

Fourth try, still no sound. Game plays great, but no sound = no play from me. I've already checked my drivers, and everything else works, so I dunno. I guess I'll just leave the game until a bug fix comes out.

Running Win XP Pro on an Athlon II 500+ and GTS 450, btw.

Sell me on Wizorb - I'd like a Breakout game, but nothing has ever come close to beating DX-Ball, Rival Ball and Break Quest. Shatter was not up to scratch for me.

HoosTrax

First time I tried to run it, I got an "Installing Microsoft .NETFramework" message for at least five minutes, cancelled out of it.

Third time, apart from a weird Steam Sync problem, it started up OK, but still no sound. Went into settings, saw no resolution or sound config options, so set the game to Windowed and exited out.

Fourth try, still no sound. Game plays great, but no sound = no play from me. I've already checked my drivers, and everything else works, so I dunno. I guess I'll just leave the game until a bug fix comes out.

Hmm, do you have WMP installed? I recall some other XNA game (Sequence?) having issues if Windows Media Player is unavailable.

ngt

It's a common problem on WinXP. Try this batch file: http://paste2.org/p/1940312

JustinBB7

Anybody else having these 2 to 10 seconds of going offline on friends lately on Steam? I've been having it for like a week now, I've read about some other people having it as well. Internet connection is fine and no new changes in programs, just random disconnects for a couple of seconds for no reason. It's getting pretty annoying and I don't know on who's end it is for sure..

Dambrosi

Banned
It's a common problem on WinXP. Try this batch file: http://paste2.org/p/1940312

What's that supposed to do? It didn't do anything. I've tested several other games, both in Steam and out, on this comp, both before and after applying the batch file, and nothinig's changed - Wizorb is the only game on my Steam list with no sound.

Nice try, try again. I'll try verifying the cache files next.

EDIT: nope.jpg, still no sound. I'm guessing this game is supposed to have a soundtrack? :p

naib

I guess Wizorb is so awesome that everyone went to buy it right away and killed steam.
Yeah. Couldn't get to its store page for awhile. Then Steam went offline. Got it now.

Almost caved and bought it on desura. Glad I held out.
Awesome game so far.

Dambrosi

Banned
Right, turns out that on XP, you have to turn off audio acceleration to get the sound to work.

Even for a less-than-£2 Breakout RPG, that's unacceptable. I hope a patch is forthcoming, and I'm sure there will be one, to fix this issue soon.

Because playing this game with a mouse is pure WIN. Though there's an odd bug that teleports my bat to the edge of the playfield against my will, which is annoying. Maybe it's something to do with my mouse settings? Oh, and the sound effects are delayed by half a second during play, but I'm sure that's because audio acceleration is turned off...(seriously, Wizorb dev, please fix this)

Oh, and I got the guest passes for ND too...even though I've never even installed it.

Dambrosi

Banned
Wizorb was great on XBLIG and tempted to buy again for support purposes... plus mouse support.

The game has...issues, as detailed in my previous posts, but I'd dive in if you're on Vista or Win7. It's a wonderful little hybrid of Breakout and JRPG, whatever its hopefully temporary problems.

Oh, and play with the mouse. Pad just doesn't compare.

Right, turns out that on XP, you have to turn off audio acceleration to get the sound to work.

Even for a less-than-£2 Breakout RPG, that's unacceptable. I hope a patch is forthcoming, and I'm sure there will be one, to fix this issue soon.

Because playing this game with a mouse is pure WIN. Though there's an odd bug that teleports my bat to the edge of the playfield against my will, which is annoying. Maybe it's something to do with my mouse settings? Oh, and the sound effects are delayed by half a second during play, but I'm sure that's because audio acceleration is turned off...(seriously, Wizorb dev, please fix this)

Oh, and I got the guest passes for ND too...even though I've never even installed it.

Quite a few games have that sound problem on XP depending on your soundcard which is probably something generic. I had a sigma-tel and just had to leave it on basic for most everything. Doesn't really affect sound quality anyway, unless you're an audiophile.

Anyway, pretty cool game. Nice that they launched at $3, probably could have got away with $5.

HoosTrax

Oh thank god -- they added a DLC filter checkbox to New Release tab. No more getting spammed by Railworks and Dungeon Defenders DLC.

HoosTrax

Is wizorb like zelda:alttp? It kind of looks like it.
It plays nothing like Zelda. It's a Breakout style game with some additional magic-based elements, with NES-era graphics and some Dragon Quest-style vibe in-town.

Puzzle Quest is to Bejeweled, as Sequence is to DDR, as Wizorb is to Breakout/Arkanoid

Card Boy

Banned
That Wizorb game is deceptive if you just give it a quick glace. I thought it was a Zelda game aswell, then i read the description and had a closer look at the screenshots. I hate blockbreaking games.

HoosTrax

I think I may be one of the few who doesn't have any issues with sound in Wizorb (W7, primary is X-Fi, secondary is Realtek onboard). You guys aren't really missing much, it's just NES era style chiptunes.

naib

I think I may be one of the few who doesn't have any issues with sound in Wizorb (W7, primary is X-Fi, secondary is Realtek onboard). You guys aren't really missing much, it's just NES era style chiptunes.
Music is nothing amazing but I think the sfx are great.

Too bad people are having sound issues. =/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hope the next batch of Portal 2 DLC is composed of challenge maps rather than another extension of the MP campaign.

zkylon

zkylewd
I got my guest passes for Nuclear Dawn. I'm gonna give one to a friend but if anyone wants the other two (one per person) just ask.

Joe Molotov

Wizorb seemed like a cool idea, but in reality it's just boring. There's not really any "RPG" to it, it's just a meh Breakout clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom