• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
So I am having an odd issue. Lately games and more often then not updates will start to download, pause then never resume. If I manually try to resume them it just goes right back to paused. Every few minutes it will also switch to downloading but then instantly go back to paused. Has this happened to anyone else? Its only with updates and the only thing to get past it is to delete the local files and download the whole game again.

Yeah, kind of. Basically, sometimes with really tiny updates, it'll just about finish and then hang for awhile. If I click resume it'll just pause a moment later, like you said. I really don't get it either. Restarting Steam, loading up and exciting a game, and changing download regions have all worked for me before though. Leaving it alone for awhile will work at times too.

Tess3ract

Banned

inMomentum in post.

In case anyone is curious I'm cleaning house on my extra IndieGala keys, and doing it one at a time to try and prevent people from grabbing them all at once.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
By the way, the account I make for Burnout isn't related to my Origin account yes?

But whenever I make an account I keep getting the "this profile has reached its limit" thing.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Looks like F1 2012 will be Steamworks. That's it for Codemasters and GFWL.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-16-codemasters-unveil-f1-2012

Skip to the end of the trailer and you'll see the Steam logo, but no GFWL logo.

tumblr_m07qmviazz1r3cbqyo1_r1_500.gif

Yeah, kind of. Basically, sometimes with really tiny updates, it'll just about finish and then hang for awhile. If I click resume it'll just pause a moment later, like you said. I really don't get it either. Restarting Steam, loading up and exciting a game, and changing download regions have all worked for me before though. Leaving it alone for awhile will work at times too.

Hey thanks. I have tried changing the download region and connection speeds but I haven't tried launching a game. I'll try that.

Zimbardo

so recent Steam sales are ...

50% off Dungeon Defenders
50% off Rochard
40% off Anno 2070

...now, while that's all fine and dandy, and better than nothing ...i've been noticing for the last while that publishers don't seem to be dropping the price for their Steam sales as drastically as they once seemed to do on there.

i guess the publishers know that Steam has the largest market share now and don't feel like dropping price as quickly as they might have in the past.

if that's really the case ...i guess i can't blame them ...but i'm a little disappointed at the same time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Since Rochard is 50% and people will ask for impressions at some point, here they are:

So I just wrapped up Rochard, here are some thoughts:
  • I loved the art-style. They used a pastel-cartoon style that works really well with the environments and they pack in a good amount of visual variety. The color-grading is fantastic.
  • The game is a great showcase for the Unity Engine. Performance is rock solid and there are a lot of well-used visual effects. For MSAA on Nvidia cards, use the bit: 0x004000C1.
  • The controls feel really tight on the 360 pad and the final boss is a great example of this. Moving through the environment is a real pleasure.
  • The puzzles are interesting, though they never got as deep as I would have liked them to. There is some great potential shown with some of the laser puzzles, but the game never takes it any further. Still, they are satisfying to work through and there are none that poorly balanced in terms of difficulty.
  • The story is light-hearted and pleasant enough. The voice work is solid and the characters are fun.
  • The only real issue I had with the game was that the combat feels a little BS at times. Enemies can shoot at you from off screen sometimes and they throw you into a couple scenarios that are pretty much guaranteed to kill you the first time, taking you back to a checkpoint.

All in all, I had a really good time with the game. The in-game counter showed a completion time of roughly 5.5 hours and it definitely was solid content the whole way through. Easily worth the 10$.

Screens:

rochard2012-01-0712-1o9j3u.png

rochard2012-01-0422-5kojvy.png

rochard2012-01-0712-2evj55.png

I got stuck on Rochard's demo in the room where you control gravity and have to carry a box through virtual walls. What's the solution and is there more in the game like that?

Since Rochard is 50% and people will ask for impressions at some point, here they are:
Sums the game up quite good. On top of that:

The shooting was a bit too much for my liking. Especially later in the game you had to shoot a lot.
Some places where cramps for the hands where you had to point a carried box below yourself and jump and shoot the box to get momentum etc.
I'd liked to have much more fleshed out puzzles as well. But there seems to be a sequel in the plans
according to the damn cliffhanger ending

The game does look kinda nice in 3D as well.

@ Choklit: You cannot carry boxes through blue portals, you cannot walkt through red ones and bullets cannot go through yellow ones. So you have to handle yourself and the box differently with those portals all the time. And yes, that's a big part of the game and that's what makes it awesome.

The steam sale on Civ 5 was EVIL. I've never played a Civ game before so I thought I'd give it a whirl and wow 30 hours later I'm an addict. Fantastic game already won a domination and science victory on normal vs AI I think I'll try my hand at culture next and then start to ramp up the difficulty and try multiplayer.

40% off Anno 2070

...now, while that's all fine and dandy, and better than nothing ...i've been noticing for the last while that publishers don't seem to be dropping the price for their Steam sales as drastically as they once seemed to do on there.

i guess the publishers know that Steam has the largest market share now and don't feel like dropping price as quickly as they might have in the past.

if that's really the case ...i guess i can't blame them ...but i'm a little disappointed at the same time.

I'm more annoyed that publishers seem to be sneakily raising their 'regular' price as they put things on sale so that they get to advertise a better discount than they are really giving.

I don't have screenshots of Anno 2070s pre sale price, but im pretty fucking sure it wasn't £34.99, because I'm pretty sure it was never priced higher than Assassins Creed Revolution was.

I'm pretty sure Dead Island pulled this trick too when it was on sale.

EDIT: If anyone from Ubisoft is reading this;
I'd instabuy Anno for ~£18 (40% off £29.99)
I ain't paying ~£21 for it.

Yes, I am quibbling over a misleading 10% discount difference. My pschological barrier is the 'under £20' level for a game I'm mostly interested in but not enough to get day 1.

Yeah, seems like there's a bit of an effort to establish £34.99 as the 'regular' price point for full price games. Bit bloody cheeky considering how much more they'll be getting over retail sales even at £24.99.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Tons of "AAA" games on PC use Steamworks so it's really your fault if you can't find competitive pricing. I have seen quite a few big releases on Steam for ~20-25 USD within a month or two of release and they come with *Steam* codes. Amazon, Green Man Gaming, etc. etc.

jediyoshi

50% off Rochard
40% off Anno 2070

That doesn't seem to be the case. Infact so far this month has been better on sales than normal. 8 of the last 14 daily deals have been 75% off. That's almost more than there were 75% sales in the entirety of February.

50% off Rochard
40% off Anno 2070

I've seen a post like this every month for maybe the past 3 or so years now.

1-D_FTW

Yeah. I mean, look at some of the prices on Deus Ex and Saint's Row during the Holidays. Those were on steep discount and they weren't exactly old releases. The price cuts don't seem any less aggressive to me. Especially Steamworks titles since then you really open things up with regards to sales.

wutwutwut

50% off Rochard
40% off Anno 2070

Zimbardo

Steam now has too much power over us. There's obviously some sort of prison experiment going on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom