• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomski

It's just you.

Nah Ive felt the same as well. Ive tried to go back and play the original 3 and honestly started to wonder how Sonic got so popular in the first place. If anything the music was probably the only good thing about the series. As a platformer it was just awkward.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, I had a feeling they were going to be good once I saw the quick response to Hard Reset's launch complaints. Developer/publisher goodwill goes a long way with me so I'll be watching them.

I didn't pick up Hard Reset at full price, but if their next game look even remotely interesting, I'm going to pre-order it the second it goes up.

Dambrosi

Banned
Sonic Generations sale price of $7.49 is live on Amazon and yes it activates on steam.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XOJ6NK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Fuck yeah, the best Sonic game in years for less than a fiver. <3 Steam <3 Amazon USA.

Seriously, this is a stone cold bargain, and I'm...not exactly Sonic's greatest fan, especially of late (though Colours was alright). Generations is a near-return to Mega Drive/Genesis form, and that's saying something. Get this if you're not a muppet!

Oh, by the way - I've got free Steam (and Desura, I suppose :p) keys for Hard Reset and Jolly Rover, if anyone still wants them? PM me for details. Full members only, please. No I don't, not anymore - congrats to NaM and Stupacabra for getting there first!

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Fuck yeah, the best Sonic game in years for less than a fiver. <3 Steam <3 Amazon USA.

Seriously, this is a stone cold bargain, and I'm...not exactly Sonic's greatest fan, especially of late (though Colours was alright). Generations is a near-return to Mega Drive/Genesis form, and that's saying something. Get this if you're not a muppet!

Oh, by the way - I've got free Steam (and Desura, I suppose :p) keys for Hard Reset and Jolly Rover, if anyone still wants them? PM me for details. Full members only, please.

PM sent!

Edit: Big thanks to Dambrosi <3

A quick question.

If i still have a Game to gift (that game is win/mac), and I gift it to my gf who is using a macbook, will she get the mac-version.
Or are all the games on steam "universal"?

Nabs

A quick question.

If i still have a Game to gift (that game is win/mac), and I gift it to my gf who is using a macbook, will she get the mac-version.
Or are all the games on steam "universal"?

If it has this logo, it's universal:
platform_steamplay.png

HoosTrax

Great. Thanks :)

I suppose it doesnt matter that I bought it, when it wasnt "steamplay", right?
Nope. You get free retroactive upgrades when a game goes Steamplay. Which is kind of annoying when the Mac version is listed separately in your library for no reason and you don't even have a Mac.

Although I did hear that this is also the reason why a lot of games that do have Mac versions can't be put on Steam -- Steam doesn't have separate SKUs for the Mac version, so if a different company does the Mac port, they usually do not want to put it on Steam because it makes the tasks of splitting profit with the publisher awkward. From the publisher point of view, they don't want to give the porting company a set % cut of the profits since only a small fraction of buyers want Steamplay. From the porting company point of view, they don't want to just work for free to add Mac play capability.

Conceptor

Had a friend of mine recently receive a VAC ban for god knows what. Account was in good standing for 5+ years, was a competitive TF2 player and was told through his appeal that the ban was applied legitimately. Just wish there was a way to find out exactly wtf he did or didn't do..

Honestly I wish Steam would bring their VAC/banning policies up to par with the times so to speak.

*hugs steam account*

Oreoleo

Had a friend of mine recently receive a VAC ban for god knows what. Account was in good standing for 5+ years, was a competitive TF2 player and was told through his appeal that the ban was applied legitimately. Just wish there was a way to find out exactly wtf he did or didn't do..

Honestly I wish Steam would bring their VAC/banning policies up to par with the times so to speak.

*hugs steam account*

at least it wasn't for something he posted on a message board like some companies have gotten in the habit of doing amirite?

Conceptor

at least it wasn't for something he posted on a message board like some companies have gotten in the habit of doing amirite?
Hey man if I was a loyal customer who has purchased numerous products from these 'companies' you're hinting at I might feel entitled enough to make an off-handed complaint about them too in their respective threads but I'm not so the point is moot I think? Of course I'd rather have to wonder/talk about this [VAC bans et all] then that [issue in question] but my wish still stands.

1-D_FTW

*hugs steam account*

Are you sure he wasn't actually cheating, though?

I think the reason they're secretive is the don't want cheaters knowing what's safe and what isn't. If you know the banning policies, it's a lot easier to circumvent what they're enforcing.

Oreoleo

Hey man if I was a loyal customer who has purchased numerous products from these 'companies' you're hinting at I might feel entitled enough to make an off-handed complaint about them too in their respective threads but I'm not so the point is moot I think? Of course I'd rather have to wonder/talk about this [VAC bans et all] then that [issue in question] but my wish still stands.

Oh, I'm so fucking sorry for my offhand comment. This is obviously a dire situation for you. I hope everything works out for.. your 'friend.' I'm sure GAF will know exactly what to do!

Conceptor

Are you sure he wasn't actually cheating, though?

I think the reason they're secretive is the don't want cheaters knowing what's safe and what isn't. If you know the banning policies, it's a lot easier to circumvent what they're enforcing.
Fair enough. Nah I'm just taking his word for it, but I don't see why he would in the first place :lol.

Oh, I'm so fucking sorry for my offhand comment. This is obviously a dire situation for you. I hope everything works out for.. your 'friend.' I'm sure GAF will know exactly what to do!
My post wasn't a jab at you or what you posted but there's no need to apologize :)

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Win a copy of:

7f452c7cf70892bbf75777ecc852564d725d3928.jpg

Just write about your favourite game from this year so far, one winner chosen in 12 hours.

My favorite game of this year is Tribes Ascend.

Not only is it one of the first F2P titles, that offered a system that wasn#t designed around Pay 2 Win, but HiRez Studios made the impossible possible and offered a new Tribes game that wasn't hated by the veterans and still easy enough to get into for newcomers like me.

And in an era, dominated by shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield the feeling of the game is just so unique and different that I cannot comprehend how this game hasn't gotten more attention. Adding a layer of verticality to a shooter sounds so simple but is oh so genius.

Also I really love how different Tribes feels even when comparing gameplay without the jetpacks and insane speeds. Capture the flag is the predominant mode in Tribes, the first thing someone new like me notices, and while CTF has been done before, the additional layer of having base defenses, both AI controlled and player made is very fun. Not only that but another layer within this gameplay is a generator located within the enemy base which, when destroyed, disables most defenses for the enemy team. This makes it possible that a single game has three layers of gameplay. Defending the flag, attacking the enemy base, and grabbing the flag/getting it home. Every single role is fun and different enough from each other.

And all this combined with being one of the last recent "skill based" shooter (aka "You don't die within 2 seconds if someone sees you" aka "you have at least the chance to fight back and win by being better") makes this my current game of the year.

Weenerz

Banned
Win a copy of:

Just write about your favourite game from this year so far, one winner chosen in 12 hours.

Favorite game that I've played this year is The Binding of Isaac, but favorite game that came out this year is probably Ass Effect 3. Been a slow year.

Blizzard

Banned
I think the biggest problem with VAC bans is the lack of an appeal process (though you mention that your friend apparently attempted an appeal) -- we KNOW there have been false positives on VAC bans in the past, in particular the bunch of people who got free L4D2 or something because they were banned in Black Ops.

It may not happen much, but if you happen to win the lottery for having your 5+ year 200+ game account banned because of a Valve software bug, it has to suck.

The worst of that, too, is that if it DID happen to you then you couldn't just start a new account because you'd be afraid that whatever triggered the false positive was still on your computer, and you'd have to hope a reformat and reinstall will not put it back on there.

Win a copy of:

Favorite game this year must be World of Tanks.

It is a free game (F2P), driving historically correct 3D tanks in two teams of 15 players on different maps. The game looks boring from the outside, but has a deeper level of building your tanks, advancing in tech tree modules and tank trees. In a kill or be killed dogbattle you are set on one side of a playfield of 3D terrain and buildings. With affective fog of war you are set to capture the enemy base or kill all players from the playfield. the battles are 15 minutes max, so one is guaranteed of diversity in maps, players and gamestyle. couple this in different tank playstyle and no battle is the same.

Added bonus is, that the game has only live opponents, so tactics and teamwork come into play. Playing in a clan is good fun.
The game attracts a somewhat mature player base, so there are serious and casual players. All in good sports.

The game is continually expanding and no payment is necessary. But one can buy ingame credits, to advance faster or buy better ammo and the likes. Even the mod community is alive and is improving the game. the developers have good success with this game in Europe, they are building a warplane game and a warfleet game. Both will also be F2P, and by no means these games and the tank game are pay to win games, so everybody has equal chance to play and advance ingame.

No other tank driving game has this much dept in game mechanics, and is fun to play.
Building your personal tank empire and get them out of the garage to take them out for a spin. This is what makes this game my game of the year.

MRORANGE

I think the biggest problem with VAC bans is the lack of an appeal process (though you mention that your friend apparently attempted an appeal) -- we KNOW there have been false positives on VAC bans in the past, in particular the bunch of people who got free L4D2 or something because they were banned in Black Ops.

It may not happen much, but if you happen to win the lottery for having your 5+ year 200+ game account banned because of a Valve software bug, it has to suck.

The worst of that, too, is that if it DID happen to you then you couldn't just start a new account because you'd be afraid that whatever triggered the false positive was still on your computer, and you'd have to hope a reformat and reinstall will not put it back on there.

Yeah that was for Modern Warfare 2, the steam forums was in riots about this. In most cases VAC is right and gets the person banned, but there are so many problems with it. It can't detect all cheats used in games, hacks from mw2 can work in mw3 and people can get away scot free.

It would make more sense if a ban lasted year rather then forever, if the person is on intent on cheating he would just get another copy of the game.

Anony

Win a copy of:

my favourite game this year...
still playing tf2 the most, so i guess i'll give it to that
all the games i'm playing right now, all the games i have backlogged, i still go back playing tf2
i dont know if i hate it or love it, lol

FatBaby

Win a copy of:

Does it have to be a game that CAME out this year or a game that you PLAYED this year?

Anyway, if it's played then I am gonna say Dues Ex: Human Revolution. Caught me completely off guard. I could never get in to the original Dues Ex so I went into this with some hesitation. Wound up completely loving it and tried to do every side mission and explore every nook and cranny.

Loved the story, the look, and the game play. It felt like a first person/third person Metal Gear Solid.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Win a copy of:

Just Cause 2

Despite its rather by-the-numbers plot of stopping an evil dictator of a banana republic, it actually is surprisingly deep. You know why? It's because the true story is about the battle of three different "languages" trying to put a stand in the small country. Of course, America, therefore English, shows up and puts everyone in their place. Despite the main character being Hispanic.

The_End

Win a copy of:

I already own Railworks, so I'm not in this competition. Just to clarify though, are people who are trying to win supposed to talk about games that they like which were released in 2012? Or games that they've simply gotten around to playing it 2012? I recently played the original Deus Ex, could I have won with that if I were playing along?

gblues

Banned
Win a copy of:

I enjoy games too much to ever name a favorite. But, I just got a PS3 this year and so I'm going to write about one of my favorites of the games I've purchased so far for it: Just Cause 2. (Sorry, Ookami-kun)

The story is pretty pointless and the dialogue is often laughable, but those aren't why you play this game. No, you play this game to blow shit up. In fact, that should have been the title of the game. You know what's better than shooting down a helicopter? Using your grappling hook to hang from the enemy chopper, shooting the gunner, then beating the shit out of the pilot and comandeering the enemy's helicopter so you can use it to blow more shit up.

Oops, did the enemy's SAMs blow the shit out of your new chopper? No problem! Open your parachute and land safely.

While the game features Havok physics for many of its effects, it makes no effort to be realistic. Hairpin turns while driving 80mph in a Humvee? No problem! Did you oversteer and go over a cliff? You'll be fine (the dude in the gunner's hatch is a different story, though...). It's basically action movie physics + video game physics for a double-dose of surrealism.

Blow Shit UpJust Cause 2 is therapy in a videogame. Because no matter how shitty a day you've had, you can raise hell and blow shit up and leave the game with a smile on your face. It's goddamn Michael Bay: The Video Game, complete with "America: Fuck Yeah!" attitude.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Win a copy of:

YQ1Wu.jpg

Tennis for Two.

This is truly what videogames are about. There is something so pure, so essential, that it transcends even this mortal coil and wraps itself tightly in the trappings of that of the immortals. Time and space are nothing if not pretense in the presence of Tennis for Two.

It is raw. It is flesh. It is bone. It is eternal.

Yaska

Today's conspiration theory: Humble Bundle updated its mobile app just now, a coincidence? Maybe we are nearer to HB6...

mrgone

YQ1Wu.jpg

Tennis for Two.

This is truly what videogames are about. There is something so pure, so essential, that it transcends even this mortal coil and wraps itself tightly in the trappings of that of the immortals. Time and space are nothing if not pretense in the presence of Tennis for Two.

It is raw. It is flesh. It is bone. It is eternal.

No usb controller support no buy

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Acquired more money, thus cracked on Peggle where I passed up HAWX & Call of Juarez 2 for a little bit less just a couple days ago. I am so weak.
I have wanted these Peggle games for a long time.

MRORANGE

Winner is :

My favorite game of this year is Tribes Ascend.

Not only is it one of the first F2P titles, that offered a system that wasn#t designed around Pay 2 Win, but HiRez Studios made the impossible possible and offered a new Tribes game that wasn't hated by the veterans and still easy enough to get into for newcomers like me.

And in an era, dominated by shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield the feeling of the game is just so unique and different that I cannot comprehend how this game hasn't gotten more attention. Adding a layer of verticality to a shooter sounds so simple but is oh so genius.

Also I really love how different Tribes feels even when comparing gameplay without the jetpacks and insane speeds. Capture the flag is the predominant mode in Tribes, the first thing someone new like me notices, and while CTF has been done before, the additional layer of having base defenses, both AI controlled and player made is very fun. Not only that but another layer within this gameplay is a generator located within the enemy base which, when destroyed, disables most defenses for the enemy team. This makes it possible that a single game has three layers of gameplay. Defending the flag, attacking the enemy base, and grabbing the flag/getting it home. Every single role is fun and different enough from each other.

And all this combined with being one of the last recent "skill based" shooter (aka "You don't die within 2 seconds if someone sees you" aka "you have at least the chance to fight back and win by being better") makes this my current game of the year.

congrats! just send me your steam id / email

You guys are all doing it wrong. The correct game to write about is Dustforce. Now get to it!

^he is right ;)

MNC

Win a copy of:

I round up Red Dead Redemption a bit earlier this year.

From beginning to end, the writing, the characters, actually felt real and touching. There was no good or bad. John Marston's adventure to get his family back felt genuine. On top of that, the dialogue that helps create the story is SO FUCKING GOOD. Every time there's a sequence with dialog that you can skip, YOU DON'T SKIP. It's adds so much to the backstory.

When John Marston died it felt twisted. He succeeded, wanting to live the right life, only to get stabbed in the back by the Federal agents. The revenge Jack seeks feels good, but it is left with an empty hole due to the death of John and the death of the Wild West.

The whole setting in time is perfect; it adds to the emotion that everyone acknowledges the death of the wild west, yet they can't do anything about it.

As for the gameplay, you have your standard 3rd person gameplay, tightened and made so much better (I hated GTA's, loved RDR's feel) and there's just so much shit to do. Skin an animal, kill a gang, rob banks. The world feels alive with stranger missions and randomly generated missions. Despite Mexico having alot of filler missions, the mission structure and story told in the missions is good.

All in all it's one of the few games I've actually completed 100% (outside of multiplayer trophies) and just thinking back to the whole story just makes me feel melancholish. I loved it to bits.

Edit:

Fuck the prize has already been given.

morningbus

If it helps at all, you wouldn't have been eligible anyway as you wrote about an older game, not one released in 2012.

morningbus

Prison economy about to get a new infusion of capital: Humble Indie Bundle for Android 2 is coming today at 1 EDT/ 10 PDT.

Includes: Canabalt, Zen Bound 2, Cogs, & Avadon.

Beat the average reward: Swords & Soldiers.

You'll also need to pay more than a dollar to get a Steam key.

Official thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467045

morningbus

XSEED is still new to the Steam game, I guess. They should have done a launch discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom