• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

I wish there was a way to force gifts on people on your friends list. Like have the gift automatically added.

You mean just as the HIB did with Snuggle Truck: you activate the bundle with a single key, and they add games without asking. I wish they added Secret of the Magic Crystal.

rybrad

I don't understand how that damn site operates :(
Click on he sign in through STEAM button. It will redirect you to Steam to login with your Steam account and then send you back. You should receive enough points to enter the drawing. After logging in go to the link I provided and click the Enter to Win button. It will use 5 of your points and when it ends in 4 days you will get a key sent to you (assuming total number stays under 25k entries).

zkylon

zkylewd
You guys seem to be promoting BD too much lately. Wasn't it a mediocre game console game with look warm reviews? Most be missing something here.
Look warm reviews heh.

I dunno, I'm not expecting it to be Vanquish-godly but a decent shooter with enough interesting ideas to hold my interest.

Look warm reviews heh.

I dunno, I'm not expecting it to be Vanquish-godly but a decent shooter with enough interesting ideas to hold my interest.
Without delving in to this nightmare of a discussion. As flawed as game reviews are good games tend to get good reviews :) At least we could give vg press that.

BD has issues with the mechanics that are supposed to take it apart from the rest of the pew pew stuff that's flooding the market today. SO i was just wondering what's up? Someone provided a Giant Bomb link but i can't access that.

zkylon

zkylewd
Without delving in to this nightmare of a discussion. As flawed as game reviews are good games tend to get good reviews :) At least we could give vg press that.
Without delving into that nightmare (really, I think this debate has been done to death), while I agree that reviews have some uses (if a game gets 90+ I bother to at least look it up on wikipedia), the 70-79 metarating has proved to be absolutely worthless to my tastes. Some of my recent favorites like Alpha Protocol or Mount & Blade are sadly stuck in the same category as trash like Dragon Age II, so I feel I can't trust the 7.5 IGN gave BD.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

BD has issues with the mechanics that are supposed to take it apart from the rest of the pew pew stuff that's flooding the market today. SO i was just wondering what's up? Someone provided a Giant Bomb link but i can't access that.

C'mon. I'm sure there is at least one game you enjoy that got trashed by the critics.

Derrick01

Banned
I just got 2 Skyrim patches. Are these the ones from the Steam beta that everyone was complaining about how broken it made their games?

Without delving into that nightmare (really, I think this debate has been done to death), while I agree that reviews have some uses (if a game gets 90+ I bother to at least look it up on wikipedia), the 70-79 metarating has proved to be absolutely worthless to my tastes. Some of my recent favorites like Alpha Protocol or Mount & Blade are sadly stuck in the same category as trash like Dragon Age II, so I feel I can't trust the 7.5 IGN gave BD.

Well a meta in the 70s could mean either a game is a love it or hate it type game or just unremarkable, looking at an average score doesn't give you much insight into that

Tifou

Banned
I just got 2 Skyrim patches. Are these the ones from the Steam beta that everyone was complaining about how broken it made their games?

Update 3/26: Today we’ve released a new Skyrim beta update, version 1.5.26, that introduces the following fixes:

BUG FIXES

Fixed issue with frequency of first person kill cameras
Underwater effects now display properly
Fixed crash when loading certain plugins
Fixed issue where sun would not appear properly after fast travel

Derrick01

Banned
Update 3/26: Today we’ve released a new Skyrim beta update, version 1.5.26, that introduces the following fixes:

BUG FIXES

Fixed issue with frequency of first person kill cameras
Underwater effects now display properly
Fixed crash when loading certain plugins
Fixed issue where sun would not appear properly after fast travel

Apparently the 2nd patch was reverting the game back to what it was before that patch in your post. I guess it was broken.

Sysgen

Gamestop has a promotion in store or digital redeemable on Steam.

shogun2.jpg

FatBaby

If you (or anyone for that matter) were still looking for impressions, I could provide you with something. I bought it and finished it in pretty much one sitting yesterday. There were like two puzzles that I really just had to guess at because I didn't understand what the hell they were asking me to do, but overall, all the puzzles were laughably easy, if you could even call some of them puzzles.

I can see the angle they were trying to go for. Your every man Nathan Drake-esque hero out on an adventure and what happens to him along the way. He is likeable, I guess, but it just comes off as goofy. The voice acting is surprisingly good all things considered.

Overall, the game is alright for $5 bucks (or $4 in the case of the limited sale). You could really polish this thing off in maybe 2 hours. I can't remember what my time was, but like I said, I did it in one sitting.

I at least enjoyed what I played and wouldn't mind seeing the other episodes come to Steam.

zulux21

Anyone have any good recommendations for a tower defense game? I've played all the popular ones on steam.

straight up tower defense games?
if not then I would guess you have at least played Dungeon defenders, but perhaps Sanctum (FPS/Tower defense) Or if you are ok with non steam games I was enjoying Defender's Quest which will ideally be on steam later this year and they have said anyone who owns the game will get a steam copy if they can do that.

Tess3ract

Banned
straight up tower defense games?
if not then I would guess you have at least played Dungeon defenders, but perhaps Sanctum (FPS/Tower defense) Or if you are ok with non steam games I was enjoying Defender's Quest which will ideally be on steam later this year and they have said anyone who owns the game will get a steam copy if they can do that.

Yeah I'm playing that right now, just beat the demo. Soogood.jpg

Caerith

I picked up Sonic 4 last week on Amazon, since I was really enjoying Generations and figured why not. I don't have a lot of Sonic history, so my opinion here is as a newcomer. It feels slower and harder to control. This video (featured on the left+right one) seems to think the underwater level is the greatest sin of the game, but even apart from that it shows several examples of Sonic running out of steam trying to run up a slope, or through a loop-de-loop, etc. And yeah, that happens a lot. I chalked it up to me not being very good at these games "and maybe Generations was just easy mode or something" but apparently it's a feature.

I don't know if Sonic 4 is a good or a bad Sonic game. But it's not as fun as Generations.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you have played through just a single classic Sonic game, you can watch a video of Sonic 4 and immediately know the physics are fucked up. Just watching him go from standing to full speed running shows you right away that something is very wrong, but then you keep watching and see the weird stops and losing steam, etc.

ezodagrom

I picked up Sonic 4 last week on Amazon, since I was really enjoying Generations and figured why not. I don't have a lot of Sonic history, so my opinion here is as a newcomer. It feels slower and harder to control. This video (featured on the left+right one) seems to think the underwater level is the greatest sin of the game, but even apart from that it shows several examples of Sonic running out of steam trying to run up a slope, or through a loop-de-loop, etc. And yeah, that happens a lot. I chalked it up to me not being very good at these games "and maybe Generations was just easy mode or something" but apparently it's a feature.

I don't know if Sonic 4 is a good or a bad Sonic game. But it's not as fun as Generations.
That's the reason why many dislike Sonic 4 Episode 1, the bad movement physics. For example, if the player stops holding the direction Sonic's going, Sonic loses all momentum. This is really annoying, especially during jumps in platforming parts.
Apparently this is going to be fixed in Sonic 4 Episode 2.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So yeah, what are the chances of tropico sale due to expansion? Should I wait for it to go down or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom