• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Lucid is in the lead for most dailies.

I click on it and see xelios' review:

xelios said:
A mediocre puzzle game --no leaderboards for your high scores, every level is the same, difficulty never ramps up, and no time limit option. There's nothing exciting or special about it really. I'd only pick it up at 75% off. Easy achievements.

So hey it looks like they listened to him!

Finished Portal 2 this weekend, and was quite pleased with every single aspect of the game. Now I am doing my best to give The Witcher a serious shot. I entered a crypt but had no torches and haven't got the slightest clue as to alchemy, I said "meh, what could possibly happen? RPG dungeons are never that dark anyway". I was wrong. So very very wrong. Those were the exact words I kept telling myself as I backpedaled into the light as fast as I could with a few ghouls gnawing at my asscheeks. I can't see shit inside! D:

I also looted a corpse and obtained flowers that an outskirts woman accepted in exchange for sex. Easiest videogame sex I've ever had.

MNC

I just completed LIMBO,

4450B7395030C71F9A0B26C12BAA5C5194613AB0

Not a spoiler image. :]

and my God what a gem of a game. I already liked the dark graphical style from the start, and thanks to the simplicity it allows for some splendid scenery. The visual style along with the design clicks together in this neat game. Without saying too much, all the puzzles are all very diverse and they were never too difficult, only challenging. They were spaced and sized just right and never bored me. There's alot of trial and error gameplay when you do fail at first, but getting the actual solution is never too far fetched. The building in difficulty isn't too steep and the game introduces you to new concepts fairly well.
My mind was baffled at the whole industry area!

The silent story that was told has told us just enough on the backstory and history of the world in Limbo. Might have liked to see a bit more of it in the end.

When the slo-mo scene kicked in, you ended up back in the forest, and for a minute I thought it was some kind of time loop, taking me back to the actual start of the game :D That would've been a real ballkicker for the boy!

All in all, completed in 3 hours, loved the graphics and puzzles, and finishes just right.

I heard Lucid is bad?

Not really. It's really barebones on features(No leaderboard!?) but quite relaxing and charming. Check it on youtube, it's pretty in motion.

It's fairly easy though. The daily made me start it up again and right now I have 200 million in points and up to level 20 something out of 50. It gets gradually trickier though as you raise through the levels.

It has achievements but no way to compare yourself to the rest of the world.

Well it costs next to nothing so...

Nabs

I didn't know there was a Shank 2 coming. It looks like it's coming to Steam and there will be a demo soon.

wutwutwut

So Aquaria is next-up in my backlog...

A lot of people here seem to like it, but I'm about 30 minutes in and its not really doing anything for me :/
Tips for Aquaria:

1. Play with a mouse and keyboard.

2. Use the number keys to activate spells. I can't overstate this enough. USE THE NUMBER KEYS TO ACTIVATE SPELLS. The game instantly got 1000x better when I switched from those stupid song sequences to number keys.

Game's great, a laidback Metroidvania. Not exactly backlog rush material though, as someone else pointed out.

MNC

GUYS GUYS GUYS

THIS GUY WANTS MY BILLS HAT AND EARBUDS

AND I WAS LIKE LOL GIVE ME SKYRIM THEN

HE WAS OK

Do I do it?!?! I mean they're stupid items! Why wouldn't I!? It equals to about 60 euros. Wait. Skyrim can be bought for 40. Man I'm not doing that! Or am I? HELP!

Oreoleo

Do you play TF2? It's a good deal for you as long as you aren't going to miss the items, cause they can be kind of a hassle to get back.

Card Boy

Banned
The value of bills hat/earbuds will always go up, the value of Skyrim will always go down. I say keep em. If Fallout NV is anything to go by, expect it to be $5-10 at the Xmas sale.

Chavelo

GUYS GUYS GUYS

THIS GUY WANTS MY BILLS HAT AND EARBUDS

AND I WAS LIKE LOL GIVE ME SKYRIM THEN

HE WAS OK

Do I do it?!?! I mean they're stupid items! Why wouldn't I!? It equals to about 60 euros. Wait. Skyrim can be bought for 40. Man I'm not doing that! Or am I? HELP!

That's... actually kind of a good deal.

Earbuds = $22 dollars
Bill's Hat = $10 dollars

Skyrim for around $32 dollars is a good trade, me thinks.

The value of bills hat/earbuds will always go up, the value of Skyrim will always go down. I say keep em. If Fallout NV is anything to go by, expect it to be $5-10 at the Xmas sale.

Of course the value will go up, but if one doesn't really care about the cosmetic items and wants to play Skyrim (GOTY for 2012 :3) for technically no monies, then I say go ahead and thank the gods for TF2 and the wonky economy it has. XD

MNC

Do you play TF2? It's a good deal for you as long as you aren't going to miss the items, cause they can be kind of a hassle to get back.

It's kind of hard with those one deal kind of items since you just won't get them back unless you find someone that wants to trade them, but other than that I'm not gonna miss them

I do however have a huge backlog and don't know if I will play skyrim anytime soon. Man why is this so fucking hard!

Nabs

It's kind of hard with those one deal kind of items since you just won't get them back unless you find someone that wants to trade them, but other than that I'm not gonna miss them

I do however have a huge backlog and don't know if I will play skyrim anytime soon. Man why is this so fucking hard!

It's a Steamworks game that will be cheap by the time you get to it. It's probably best to just wait.

Oreoleo

It's a Steamworks game that will be cheap by the time you get to it. It's probably best to just wait.

Yeah, if he's got a backlog I would probably agree. That's the nice thing about Steamworks games, a lot of times you can get the game cheaper at retail/eBay well before it sees a huge discount on the Steam store.

I think I'll go with this option. Man I- HOLD THE PHONE

BUDS + 3 RANDOM WEAPONS FOR WITCHER 2. DO I DO IT?!

This is a worse deal then the one you were offered for Skyrim. Just sayin'.

MNC

Yeah, if he's got a backlog I would probably agree. That's the nice thing about Steamworks games, a lot of times you can get the game cheaper at retail/eBay well before it sees a huge discount on the Steam store.

This is a worse deal then the one you were offered for Skyrim. Just sayin'.

10 bucks less, bills hat less and 3 vintage weapons. worse, but not bad, right?
Edit; The guy already said "never" to my 3 items + buds for witcher 2.

Nelo Ice

Banned
TF2 has such an insane economy I don't even bother lol but from what I've read Bill's hat and Buds are like the only things that hold their value.

MNC

I wanna get something out of my lame hats. Give me something I can ask for my bill's hat! Any good games for a tenner?

Edit: Last or second to last post about hats I swear. Don't want to derail it more.

1-D_FTW

I wanna get something out of my lame hats. Give me something I can ask for my bill's hat! Any good games for a tenner?

Edit: Last or second to last post about hats I swear. Don't want to derail it more.

Send him to me. I'll trade him the hat for Rochard.

And I don't even care that Rochard will be on sale for 3.33 sometime within the next 2 months. That's how little I think of these hats;)

Oreoleo

10 bucks less, bills hat less and 3 vintage weapons. worse, but not bad, right?
Edit; The guy already said "never" to my 3 items + buds for witcher 2.

Moot point now, but to clarify I meant it was a bad deal because even though W2 is $40 right now, it's been marked down to $25 or so a handful of times already which is less than the value of the buds by themselves.

Javaman

LOL. Yeah right. Eventually the market is going to bottom out when people move onto another game, or they wake up to the reality that cosmetic items are worthless. I'd sell now while there's still gullible people out there.

LOL. Yeah right. Eventually the market is going to bottom out when people move onto another game, or they wake up to the reality that cosmetic items are worthless. I'd sell now while there's still gullible people out there.

My Charizard card is rising in price in extreme numbers. Whatch you talkin' bout Willis?

You're right, it's not like people haven't moved on from CS1.6 or MW2 or anything
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Always does not equal now. TF2 can last years and years but the prices won't always go up. It may scare some people but there will be a day when people aren't really playing CS1.6 or MW2 for some reason or another. It could even somehow become a Halo 2 way and it all just shuts down. Can't play MW2 when I move on to brain games with eye contact monitors. :p

MNC

Tried going back for the deal, guy backed out "because he can get buds for a few dollars less elsewhere". Such is the economy!

Blizzard

Banned
They may be worthless, but as long as people consider them worth something, they're not worthless.

It's like, paper money or something, right? Paper money by itself can be burned to keep you warm but it's not very GOOD for that. But there's a big system and everyone accepts the paper as something worthwhile. Okay so it's probably a terrible analogy BUT STILL. As long as there's a market of people who want to spend $10 on a virtual hat, virtual hats are presumably not worthless.

MRORANGE

They may be worthless, but as long as people consider them worth something, they're not worthless.

It's like, paper money or something, right? Paper money by itself can be burned to keep you warm but it's not very GOOD for that. But there's a big system and everyone accepts the paper as something worthwhile. Okay so it's probably a terrible analogy BUT STILL. As long as there's a market of people who want to spend $10 on a virtual hat, virtual hats are presumably not worthless.

Valve will pretty much export the tf2 items into TF3 and call them Vintage/Classic range.

About Age of Empires III:

Notice: When launching Age of Empires III - some users receive "Invalid CD Key" after entering the Steam provided CD key. We have identified which CD keys are affected and will be working with Microsoft to provide replacement keys to the users experiencing this issue. No additional action is required, users will automatically receive new CD keys.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/105450/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

Another proof Microsoft sucks at PC gaming.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why do people pay such amounts for hats and shit? Aren't they completely useless? I don't understand TF2's economy. At all. Please, someone explain the point of it all.

Blizzard

Banned
Why do people pay such amounts for hats and shit? Aren't they completely useless? I don't understand TF2's economy. At all. Please, someone explain the point of it all.
I think it's kind of like this:

1. People like the way hats look. People are willing to pay money for a videogame hat they think is cool.

2. Alternatively, some people try to take advantage of #1 above by having like 20 idler accounts, collecting items, and trading back and forth with people in order to collect the most valuable things and make a profit (minus the time they spent farming and trading).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom