• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

Okay: Moon Breakers:

Free to play space shooter. Not a space MMO as you might think, it is a space themed no-gravity no-up-or-down space ship shooter with direct control. It is ugly as hell, but the main menu suggests that there might be a version for Google Chrome in which case the 3D graphics are understandable. It might be using Unity or something...? Has that mobile-looking thing where shaders look okay but it's all applied to bad polygons and textures.

You are dropped into game modes with what seemed to be around 31 other players and shoot shit up: I played two matches of which one seemed to be based around destroying the other team's mothership and the other was simple capture the flag. It's chaotic as hell because everyone just shoots each other. Matches seem to typically end in time outs.

moonbreakersssfiu7f.png

Free To Play mechanics - you get credits from playing the game and can buy Helium-3 as the premium currency. After the first game I ended up with 2550 credits, which mysteriously turned into 2450 on the main menu. For reference, the cheapest tier 2 (you start with two ships in tier one, and there are two available ships you can buy in tier one from other categories that are kind of cheap at around 250 000 - 300 000 creds) ship you could buy for credits was 600 000 credits. That same ship was 1500 Helium-3, which would convert to roughly eight or nine dollars of premium currency.

The most expensive ship is, from what I can tell, 7500 H-3 and 3 000 000 credits. 7500 H3 is around 38 bucks if you were to buy the 5000 and 2500 pack. Boosters can multiply the credits you get from each match by anywhere from *2 to *15 - the cheapest boost is *2 for five matches, which costs 50 H3 (cheapest pack is 350 for two bucks, so that's not a whole lot of money), compared to the most expensive being *15 for 30 days for 8000 credits, which is roughly 40 or so dollars. Fuck.

moonbreakersf2priu85.png

I randomly disconnected from the last game so I can't tell if it got dramatically better after that match, but for now if I had to choose between playing this for an hour or staring into a wall for two hours I might consider picking the wall.

Blizzard

Banned
Okay: Moon Breakers:

Free to play space shooter. Not a space MMO as you might think, it is a space themed no-gravity no-up-or-down space ship shooter with direct control. It is ugly as hell, but the main menu suggests that there might be a version for Google Chrome in which case the 3D graphics are understandable. It might be using Unity or something...? Has that mobile-looking thing where shaders look okay but it's all applied to bad polygons and textures.

You are dropped into game modes with what seemed to be around 31 other players and shoot ship up: I played two matches of which one seemed to be based around destroying the other team's mothership and the other was simple capture the flag. It's chaotic as hell because everyone just shoots each other. Matches seem to typically end in time outs.
I guess I'll keep waiting for a new X-Wing game. Thanks for trying it. :p

Forkball

Saints Row the Third is $25 on Gamersgate right now. It's a Steamworks title. DLC is on sale too, not sure if they carry over or not though.

MNC

so Dead Space 2 is pretty good (about 5 hours in) but im pretty sure i still prefer the first one

somehow this game is just blatantly obvious to me. The jump scares, the creepy kid stuff with going from dark environments to an all-lit daycare/kindergarten center and whatnot. I know what's coming.

I guess the scripted sequences are pretty cool and some are really impressive, so there's that

im enjoying it

It's pretty "standard" in terms of Dead Space, but the gameplay is good, crisp visuals and quite a few setpieces that are just fun. It's really enjoyable, but I don't think it's a game that sticks. (Having played the first two hours only so far)

Also, wow at the space sim overkill lately. Next up: Skyjacker

HoosTrax

It's a little odd to see GRAW2 up on the top sellers chart and no GRAW1. I hope people realize that GRAW2 is a direct sequel. It takes place immediately following (literally one day after) the events of GRAW1. I mention it because the first MW game I played was 3, and I was a little lost playing the SP campaign.

Random bit of trivia: The characters in GRAW make a cameo appearance in the first mission of Tom Clancy's HAWX (you're an Air Force pilot providing support for the Ghost team) and you can hear a remixed version of the GRAW theme song playing in the background.

MRORANGE

If Ubisoft drop the price of Rayman Origins I recommend it as a instant purchase.

Strange they haven't put Rayman 2 up yet on Steam.

Are the graw games ports of the 360 versions? I know Grin made them and they had a first person mode or something but I have no idea if the content/story is the same.

ArjanN

Are the graw games ports of the 360 versions? I know Grin made them and they had a first person mode or something but I have no idea if the content/story is the same.

No, they're different games, they're first person and there's more tactical options. The overall story is the same I think, even though the plot isn't much of a factor anyway.

So I started and finished Costume Quest. Holy cow I loved it. I really didn't know anything about it going in but once I got started, I couldn't put it down. I loved the humor, the music, and the animation. I just wished it was longer and a little more fleshed out (100% in 5 hours).

I would definitely recommend it next time it is on sale.

Sysgen

Also the difficulty. The difference between the PC and console versions. Well it's about the distance between the 7 eleven down the block and Mars.

Also, did some digging and that widescreen fixer app says it supports Ghost Recon meaning the original and I guess the expansions?

Has Steam been wonky for anyone else today? It's been suspending or the download speeds decreases considerably for a moment and then it goes to the normal download speed?

Salsa

It's got an interesting premise, you're in a coma and thus are some sort of fantastic ability to jump around and possess different drivers/vehicles. It's just marred by Ubi's always online DRM.

I loved the writing, it was surprisingly good and funny. The driving was ok but the core gameplay mechanic of quick-shifting made up for it since you were pretty much controlling everything around the situation rather than just driving a car.

I would really like a sequel (shitty PC ubi stuff aside), but i guess it went under

any idea how it did sales-wise?

Forkball

Has Steam been wonky for anyone else today? It's been suspending or the download speeds decreases considerably for a moment and then it goes to the normal download speed?

I'm trying to play Saints Row the Third but it says the game is unavailable. I restarted Steam, but it wouldn't let me back in for a few minutes. TF2 just updated, so maybe that's causing problems.

I can't start my Steam client right now, throws an error about the "Steam network" and doesn't start.

EDIT: Never mind, it started working again after I tried to get the exact error message to put into this post. Large Ubisoft ads for Ghost Recon on the front page now...

Levyne

Banned
Yeah for a while I couldn't get the Workshop to populate anything for Skyrim.

Btw, any recommendations? I don't really like cluttering up with fan additions like followers or weapons from tv series a b or c or mega large extra dungeons, but any nice tweaks or alterations?

zkylon

zkylewd
It's a little odd to see GRAW2 up on the top sellers chart and no GRAW1. I hope people realize that GRAW2 is a direct sequel. It takes place immediately following (literally one day after) the events of GRAW1. I mention it because the first MW game I played was 3, and I was a little lost playing the SP campaign.

Random bit of trivia: The characters in GRAW make a cameo appearance in the first mission of Tom Clancy's HAWX (you're an Air Force pilot providing support for the Ghost team) and you can hear a remixed version of the GRAW theme song playing in the background.
Yeah, I can't ever imagine someone playing a Tom Clancy game really caring about the story (except maybe the Splinter Cell games).

Blizzard

Banned
Ugh, does anyone know if there are ANY plans to change the way Steam does DOTA 2 updates? This constant hard disk grinding while the computer chugs to a crawl for 5+ minutes is pretty much the most annoying thing Steam has ever done. I can only hope that other games don't start doing this same update method. :(

KarmaCow

Ugh, does anyone know if there are ANY plans to change the way Steam does DOTA 2 updates? This constant hard disk grinding while the computer chugs to a crawl for 5+ minutes is pretty much the most annoying thing Steam has ever done. I can only hope that other games don't start doing this same update method. :(

Is there reason why it does this? I was wondering why my laptop was crapping out on me but I wasn't sure.

Card Boy

Banned

I just deleted it, it was too much of a annoyance for something i barely play.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I think I read it's because of some new Valve patching system.
I remembering reading that too. Something about it copying files over to a different directory before applying the delta updates and then moving the files back after patching them.

"Because We May" sale starting May 24 on Steam (and a bunch of other services)

We believe that developers should have the freedom to price their games how they like, without interference from the online stores that sell the games. Why? Because it allows us to promote our games more freely, as we are doing here! We rely on the ability to promote our games for our livelihood and control over pricing is an important tool for this purpose.

For the last week of May (May 24 through June 1) our games will be deeply discounted to celebrate online stores that give us control over pricing

Lots of games already confirmed:
http://www.becausewemay.com/steam.html

theBishop

Banned
If you could manage certain parts of Steam via Xbox Media Center (running games, installing games from your library, viewing achievements, viewing your friend's profiles, etc) would you?

kennah

If you could manage certain parts of Steam via Xbox Media Center (running games, installing games from your library, viewing achievements, viewing your friend's profiles, etc) would you?

Yes. If I could run my Steam Games through XBMC that would be so awesome. I'm sure there is a way for it to happen now, but I would want it to be as seamless as movies and TV are through it.

I loved the writing, it was surprisingly good and funny. The driving was ok but the core gameplay mechanic of quick-shifting made up for it since you were pretty much controlling everything around the situation rather than just driving a car.

I would really like a sequel (shitty PC ubi stuff aside), but i guess it went under

any idea how it did sales-wise?

I don't know how well Driver did saleswise but its development was, supposedly, a complete and utter gongshow. It apparently took like five or six years to make, dunno how large a success it needed to be to simply recoup the development costs and break even. Ubisoft will dredge the series up again, eventually.

The game list in community looks so much better now. It's really cool how they've been changing it little by little these last few months.

The design of it looks good, but it has so many flaws in it that´s it difficult to know where to start.

*The sorting doesn´t work anymore since they added the remote installation option. If you list the games by game time, it shows the last installed and updated games first for some reason.
*It still count´s every single piece of DLC bought as a game.
*It still lists both Windows and Mac versions where they screwed up the steam play implementation. I mean, how hard can it be to flag games by OS?
*It still doesn´t have any customization features at all, like hiding game time.
*The wishlist still registers moving games as clicks and takes you to the store page if you´re not careful.
*It still includes some games that should not be there. I have The Path Demo listed with 0.1h gameplay, but not any other demo.
*etc.

The design of it looks good, but it has so many flaws in it that´s it difficult to know where to start.

*The sorting doesn´t work anymore since they added the remote installation option. If you list the games by game time, it shows the last installed and updated games first for some reason.
*It still count´s every single piece of DLC bought as a game.
*It still lists both Windows and Mac versions where they screwed up the steam play implementation. I mean, how hard can it be to flag games by OS?
*It still doesn´t have any customization features at all, like hiding game time.
*The wishlist still registers moving games as clicks and takes you to the store page if you´re not careful.
*It still includes some games that should not be there. I have The Path Demo listed with 0.1h gameplay, but not any other demo.
*etc.

Only if you click on the game picture afaik?

Salsa

OK so dead space 2 really gets back on its feet when you
go back to the ishimura
. This feels like what the entre game should have been. bummer i got the surprise spoiled here a long while ago

Lingitiz

OK so dead space 2 really gets back on its feet when you
go back to the ishimura
. This feels like what the entre game should have been. bummer i got the surprise spoiled here a long while ago

They really caught me off guard with that section.
You're always on your toes for the big scare and they just keep everything silent for a fair amount of time. When they finally do get you its glorious, and a really satisfying payoff.

I tried to make sense of the Ubisoft DRM and I wanted to share it with GAF since I know some of you care:

For Ubisoft/Uplay-Account games follow this link

Other stuff:

TAGES:

Dawn of Discovery; Activation limit removed in patch
Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery: Venice Expansion; 3 machine limit
James Cameron’s Avatar: The Game; 3 machine limit, 1 activation added back every 30 days.

SolidShield:

Anno 2070; 3 machine limit

Everything else should be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom