• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
So I completed Analogue: A Hate Story earlier tonight. I've got a lot to say about it, but it's somewhat tricky digging into this without spoiling at least a few critical things. It's a unique experience though, powered by some incredible writing and real imagination.

If anyone is even slightly curious, please, give it a chance. It really got inside my head.

MNC

I tried to make sense of the Ubisoft DRM and I wanted to share it with GAF since I know some of you care:

For Ubisoft/Uplay-Account games follow this link

Other stuff:

TAGES:

Dawn of Discovery; Activation limit removed in patch
Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery: Venice Expansion; 3 machine limit
James Cameron’s Avatar: The Game; 3 machine limit, 1 activation added back every 30 days.

SolidShield:

Anno 2070; 3 machine limit

Everything else should be safe.

Does U-play games fall under the Forever Online games?

Does U-play games fall under the Forever Online games?

Not all of them, some are single-activation while others have a check at start-up. Only Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, The Settlers 7, Silent Hunter 5 and HAWX2 kick you out when you lose your connection.

Just follow the link ;)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So I completed Analogue: A Hate Story earlier tonight. I've got a lot to say about it, but it's somewhat tricky digging into this without spoiling at least a few critical things. It's a unique experience though, powered by some incredible writing and real imagination.

If anyone is even slightly curious, please, give it a chance. It really got inside my head.

I am curious, but 10 bucks for what is basically a white screen with lots of text, I just don't know, it looks like it could have been so much more pleasing to the eyes with a bit more work. Backgrounds, music variation (at least from what I've seen from the game), animations, etc, etc.

I'll get it when it's on sale maybe, probably being angry how I could have missed out on this before. But yeah.

I am curious, but 10 bucks for what is basically a white screen with lots of text, I just don't know, it looks like it could have been so much more pleasing to the eyes with a bit more work. Backgrounds, music variation (at least from what I've seen from the game), animations, etc, etc.

I'll get it when it's on sale maybe, probably being angry how I could have missed out on this before. But yeah.

The soundtrack is 18 tracks, 30+ minutes. And the characters have a decently wide array of expressions.

I'm giving Arkham City a second chance and although I'm having more fun this time with my lowered expectations, it's still frustrating me.

It's like Rocksteady did a 180 on nearly everything that made the first game so great.

Wok

There's a handful of us on GAF who are in the top 50-100 in the leaderboards in every level throughout the game, hahaha.

That's about my ranking, except for some levels where I am now the first: 1-9, 2-2, 3-17, 4-6. It took me a long time to understand how the scoring system works.

I'm giving Arkham City a second chance and although I'm having more fun this time with my lowered expectations, it's still frustrating me.

It's like Rocksteady did a 180 on nearly everything that made the first game so great.

How so? Only think I prefer is the Asylum setting. Don't know why though. Not a fan of a big walled in city.

(I also prefer Asylum)

The concept of the prison city is terrible. 2 hours in and the story has done nothing to hook me. There has been no sense of exploration or progression. The game seems absolutely cluttered with collectables that's designed for OCD gamers to sink 50 hours in to the game.

Performance is also pretty dodgy. Random drops to 20fps at times when gliding around the city. Probably due to streaming, I would imagine. This is without DX11 as I've heard that kills performance as it is.

Arkham Asylum was a tightly designed experience which felt perfect. This feels aimless in comparison. It lacks a "soul".

OH, and Catwoman is boringggg and I don't want to play as her. Bad attempt at a split narrative so far.

Like I said, when I'm platforming and fighting it's still fun, but everything around the core mechanics are lacking in comparison to Asylum.

The concept of the prison city is terrible. 2 hours in and the story has done nothing to hook me. There has been no sense of exploration or progression. The game seems absolutely cluttered with collectables that's designed for OCD gamers to sink 50 hours in to the game.

Performance is also pretty dodgy. Random drops to 20fps at times when gliding around the city. Probably due to streaming, I would imagine. This is without DX11 as I've heard that kills performance as it is.

Arkham Asylum was a tightly designed experience which felt perfect. This feels aimless in comparison. It lacks a "soul".

OH, and Catwoman is boringggg and I don't want to play as her. Bad attempt at a split narrative so far.

Like I said, when I'm platforming and fighting it's still fun, but everything around the core mechanics are lacking in comparison to Asylum.

fuck fuck fuck I haven't really started it yet but this kinda confirms my fears :(

Looking at BackwardsSuggestions avatar to calm myself down

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I usually hate open-world games and I had a blast with AC, loved the story and the side missions as well (Fucking Szasz). And I thoroughly enjoyed AA as well.

Just saying, there are actually people who love the shit out of both games :)

I feel like we're going off topic here, but as I'm currently playing Arkham City on my PC I'd share my thoughts:
-13hrs. I'm playing one or two main missions, then a couple of side missions and it's going flawlessly so far. That's the standard on how I play bascially and RPG/open world game with Assassin's Creed being the obvious comparison to Arkham City.
- even though I hate collectibles in games I feel this game has done it good.
- on the issue of performance: yes, it's weird. I'm averaging at around 50fps but sometimes I experience those horrible drops to ~20-30 but only during certain scenes (usually the ones with a huge drawing distance) and only in the first couple of minutes when I load the game (presumably because it's till caching).
otherwise...the game is fucking PERFECT.

I feel like we're going off topic here, but as I'm currently playing Arkham City on my PC I'd share my thoughts:
-13hrs. I'm playing one or two main missions, then a couple of side missions and it's going flawlessly so far. That's the standard on how I play bascially and RPG/open world game with Assassin's Creed being the obvious comparison to Arkham City.
- even though I hate collectibles in games I feel this game has done it good.
- on the issue of performance: yes, it's weird. I'm averaging at around 50fps but sometimes I experience those horrible drops to ~20-30 but only during certain scenes (usually the ones with a huge drawing distance) and only in the first couple of minutes when I load the game (presumably because it's till caching).
otherwise...the game is fucking PERFECT.

Nah, the Steam thread has almost become a general PC discussion thread so all is fair.

I'm just concerned that the Metroidvania aspect of the original is missing. That would be a damn shame.

It's completely gone, at least in the first two hours. It's what made Arkham Asylum so memorable and it's the worst change.

If you loved the Metroidvania design as much as me... well, you might not feel too fondly about City!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I felt the same way during the first two or three hours of Arkham City. I hated the open world structure, and it felt like sensory overload with the massive quantity of collectibles, side missions being thrown at me, and the seemingly endless radio chatter didn't help. I dropped it for about a month, and mentioned it a few times here in 'Most Disappointing Games of 2011' threads, but I decided to give it another shot and it managed to win me over.

Maybe the pacing isn't quite as sharp, but the main storyline has some amazing moments that rival or even surpass the highlights of Arkham Asylum, and I even grew fond of the open world design once I got the hang of navigating it. It's not like most open world games where there's tons of empty landmass to trek across, you can get from one side of the map to the other in one or two minutes. Plus, it looks fucking amazing. I took so many screenshots.

I felt the same way during the first two or three hours of Arkham City. I hated the open world structure, and it felt like sensory overload with the massive quantity of collectibles, side missions being thrown at me, and the seemingly endless radio chatter didn't help. I dropped it for about a month, and mentioned it a few times here in 'Most Disappointing Games of 2011' threads, but I decided to give it another shot and it managed to win me over.

Maybe the pacing isn't quite as sharp, but the main storyline has some amazing moments that rival or even surpass the highlights of Arkham Asylum, and I even grew fond of the open world design once I got the hang of navigating it. It's not like most open world games where there's tons of empty landmass to trek across, you can get from one side of the map to the other in one or two minutes. Plus, it looks fucking amazing. I took so many screenshots.

This was pretty much my exact experience! I've sunk 24 hours into it now and love it.

Relax.MX

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is 5.99 on greenmangaming and is Steamworks...

PD: Augmented Edition(is 11.99 but really is nothing especial XO)

PD2: Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1/2 do it or not..mmm

gdt

DX:HR is $6? DAmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn. Got it at launch, but shiiit thats one of the best deals in a long time.

Thank God. There's hope for me yet. The game still hasn't clicked for me yet despite Batman AA being my GOTY. Will play some more.

MRORANGE

Goty version for console or mac version on Steam please :(

I want to play this game god dam it

Blame SE for not making it steam play and outsourcing the mac version to a company who do not want to use the Steam client to distribute the game and rather use there own store.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is 5.99 on greenmangaming and is Steamworks...

PD: Augmented Edition(is 11.99 but really is nothing especial XO)

PD2: Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1/2 do it or not..mmm
The GRAW games are fun co op but I'm holding off for the upcoming Steam sale.

For those finding Arkham City a bit of a drag, find and complete the first couple of AR missions to unlock the Grapnel Boost. It absolutely revolutionises travel.

Downloading much of my Steam library and backing up my HDD:

ZaBF1.png

Goddamn.

ShaneB

Regarding Arkham City, I absolutely loved it. I can't help but realize I played it at the wrong time, and burned through a good portion of it before D3 launched. But I sunk about 20 hours with it and loved every single one. So much fun.

And yes, the Grapnel Boost is a must!

HoosTrax

how does the gameplay of the GR games hold up?
It's very different if you're used to CoD run-and-gun gameplay. You're usually using cover, proning, and engaging at long range if possible.

I want to say it's more along the lines of Battlefield 2, but there's also no bunny hopping (or jumping at all) for that matter.

Blablurn

It's very different if you're used to CoD run-and-gun gameplay. You're usually using cover, proning, and engaging at long range if possible.

I want to say it's more along the lines of Battlefield 2, but there's also no bunny hopping (or jumping at all) for that matter.

thanks for the impressions, mate. guess im gonna skip this one then.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
From Dust has been this cheap or cheaper before, and I think Shoot Many Robots had a mixed at best reception, but Rayman for $15 is a killer deal. If I didn't have it half-finished on 360, I'd definitely be in at that price.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I almost broke on Rayman, but I'm not gonna get to it before the summer sale or anytime soon. Self control prevails.

Also a friend whose opinion I trust told me it wasn't that great a platformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom