• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
We are going to need a new FAQ for the summer sale. On top of every page.

What repetitive question will be asked for the 1000th time?

Will X Go on Sale?
Should I buy X now or should I wait?
OMG I bought X, but it became a daily deal, anything I can do?
Will X be cheaper in the future?
I missed X, will it be on sale again?
X is on sale at another site, is it Steamworks?

wilflare

Will X Go on Sale?
Should I buy X now or should I wait? this would be the most common

bolded :D

Will X Go on Sale?
Should I buy X now or should I wait?

All of them!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just want AssCreedBro.

Edit: As far as this Ubi sale is concerned.

Edit 2: And as luck would have it, today is AC day!

JaseC

Ask and you shall recieve

All Assassins Creed's 50%-75% off

Are there any shitty DRM's on any of these that I should know about? I dont want always on DRM's at least.

Online permanence was patched out of Brotherhood and Ubi ignored it entirely for Revelations.

Forkball

Get ACII and Brotherhood now if you've never played them. I enjoyed Revelations, but would only really recommend it to AC fans as it's pretty samey and much shorter than ACII and ACB (both of those games took about 25 hours each while ignoring a ton of stuff, but ACR took about 12 hours with little else to do.)

legacyzero

Banned
For some reason I get horribly bored with Assassins Creed games. Not sure why. They seem really awesome, but at some point, it stops pulling me in..

Only one I ever finished was ACII. Revelations looks really amazing though. I'm tempted on that one. I'm just not sure if I should get it now, or wait for the summer sale for a potentially lower price =/

This game is awesome as hell.

Is the Lost Archive DLC for Assassins Creed Revelations worth it? And by that I mean, does it add anything to the core story/mythology of Assassins Creed? The description on it's store page has one line that's interesting followed a paragraph of junk.

JaseC

For some reason I get horribly bored with Assassins Creed games. Not sure why. They seem really awesome, but at some point, it stops pulling me in..

Only one I ever finished was ACII. Revelations looks really amazing though. I'm tempted on that one. I'm just not sure if I should get it now, or wait for the summer sale for a potentially lower price =/

It's arguably the worst entry in the series, and I say that as someone who loves the games and even managed to squeeze every drop out of Revelations' SP campaign (~78 hours all up).

legacyzero

Banned
It's arguably the worst entry in the series, and I say that as someone who loves the games and even managed to squeeze every drop out of Revelations' SP campaign (~78 hours all up).

really? oh wow.

Can anybody back that statement up before I end up making a mistake?

Hellix

Get ACII and Brotherhood now if you've never played them. I enjoyed Revelations, but would only really recommend it to AC fans as it's pretty samey and much shorter than ACII and ACB (both of those games took about 25 hours each while ignoring a ton of stuff, but ACR took about 12 hours with little else to do.)

If I can only get one, which one would you recommend? ACII or Brotherhood?

Chesskid1

Banned
really? oh wow.

it has all the elements that make an AC game fun, it just adds a few annoying things. still well worth your time imo

go with II then get brotherhood if you really liked II. they are both excellent, and it would be kind annoying playing II after beating brotherhood. brotherhood does have multiplayer, so it might be added value to you.

JaseC

it has all the elements that make an AC game fun, it just adds a few annoying things. still well worth your time imo

Yeah, the core elements are fine, but just don't bother with the Desmond sequences and the tower defense mini-game. Even the Assassin training component becomes useless after a while as it's impossible to complete.

Edit: The problem with Revelations isn't that it's a bad game, but rather it's an incredibly phoned-in sequel -- it feels virtually identical to Brotherhood and the elements Ubi added to differentiate it were poorly implemented (I didn't mind the bomb crafting, though), and aside from the ending there's nothing notable as far as the narrative is concerned.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It is the weakest of the Ezio trilogy, but it has one of the best soundtracks I have ever listened to, including film. Lorne Balfe combined with Jesper Keys is a god like combination.

Forkball

The consensus is mixed about which is a better title, but honestly I think I preferred II. The locals are more varied, the templar lairs are better than the lairs of Romulus, and the story is more interesting. But Brotherhood certainly is amazing as well and vastly improves the combat. I say get II now, and wait for Brotherhood during the summer sale.

Kabouter

I would strongly recommend II. Brotherhood is a direct continuation, and it might be difficult to follow later games without having played II. More importantly though, ACII is more significant in terms of story (though Brotherhood is very important as well), it has more variety in setting, it has more memorable missions and a better overall plot structure and pacing.

kadotsu

Banned
really? oh wow.

The problem is that Revelations doesn't offer that much new concepts in it's actual missions. But it succeeds in expanding the Assassin's Guild and bombs are a great addition to your inventory. The only badly designed parts are the tower defense and the Desmond memories. I personally enjoyed the Ezio story of Rev more than Brotherhood.

If Brotherhood and Revelations were one game I would put it right beside ACII in terms of content and progress.

So my ranking would be ACII=AC:B+AC:R>AC:B>AC:R>AC

AC I and II for 10€ total? Don't mind if I do.

Finally I can play the first to completion and wash away my bad conscience from taking advantage of that MS points exploit.

TGMIII

You have to install Ubisofts Uplay software to play any of the AC games on steam right?

Also Jamestown is the daily deal. People should buy it.

JaseC

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll jump on ACII then.

I'm assuming ACI is the worst one?

That's the consensus, yes, but it's actually my favourite of the series:

Incidentally, non-linear mission design is an area in which the original and oft-reviled Assassin's Creed excels. Yes, your target and their general location is always the same, but it's entirely up to the player how much information they gather (beyond the requisite threshold to begin the assassination mission) and how this data is used to their advantage. This player-driven approach to assassinations is the one reason I love the original Assassin's Creed - even in the face of the monotonous tasks - and the single-most aspect I hope Ubi expand upon and bring back for AC3.

I'd rank the mainline series thusly: AC > AC2 =/~ AC:B > AC:R.

You have to install Ubisofts Uplay software to play any of the AC games on steam right?

Also Jamestown is the daily deal. People should buy it.

uPlay is integrated into the game, acting as a launcher. At least, this is the case with Revelations (the only AC game I've played on the PC).

AlexBasch

I wish those Ubi Soft would place a sale list or something. :| I'm thinking about getting AC2 but I'm holding off for Splinter Cell: Conviction as well, if it comes tomorrow then I'll be pissed since I can't add more money to my Steam wallet until Monday. ):

Dunno if this is the right place for this, but I'm a big AC fan and five bucks seems cheap enough to muck about with the first one. But I have a C2Duo 2.2GHz, 4GB and a GT240. Will that run AC1 well enough? (Console quality @ 30fps is fine for me.)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
AC1 was godawful. They would have to goatse you in the first level of Revelations to top that game in suckitude.

hmm. thinking about getting AC1, never played it on the consoles. do you guys recommend it? i tend to dislike open-world games with side-missions (couldn't stand just cause) but i do love platformers (i really like mirror's edge) and RPGs. i also don't like games focused heavily on shallow action.

so is AC1 more of a platformer/solid action game with rpg elements, or is it one of those shallow combat pseudo open-ended collectathon games?

hmm. thinking about getting AC1, never played it on the consoles. do you guys recommend it? i tend to dislike open-world games with side-missions (couldn't stand just cause) but i do love platformers (i really like mirror's edge) and RPGs. i also don't like games focused heavily on shallow action.

so is AC1 more of a platformer/solid action game with rpg elements, or is it one of those shallow combat pseudo open-ended collectathon games?

You'll probably hate AC1 then. It also doesn't really have any RPG elements.

AlexBasch

Dunno if this is the right place for this, but I'm a big AC fan and five bucks seems cheap enough to muck about with the first one. But I have a C2Duo 2.2GHz, 4GB and a GT240. Will that run AC1 well enough? (Console quality @ 30fps is fine for me.)
I've got a 5670 with 2GB and 2.7ghz Dual Core and it runs very well at 720p-ish. You'll be fine.

Ledsen

The AC series are open world collectathons with tons of useless side missions, almost no RPG elements and a big focus on very shallow combat. I still love them for the architecture, the setting and the free running, but it sounds like you should avoid it at all cost.

Mrbob

Brotherhood deluxe is mine. Going to wait on Revelations though for a 75 percent off. Saves money to stay behind in the series.

kswiston

A bunch of Assassins Creed Questions:

I have AC1 and AC2 on console, but never played AC2 and only played half of AC1.

1) How important is the story in AC1 to being able to follow what is happening in AC2? Could I just youtube clips. I have switched 360s since playing AC1, so I would have to replay the entire game.

2) Was the PC version of AC2 noticeably better than the 360 version? Enough so to justify double dipping?

3) How important are the DLC mission to the overall narrative? Can they all be skipped?

Kabouter

A bunch of Assassins Creed Questions:

I have AC1 and AC2 on console, but never played AC2 and only played half of AC1.

1) How important is the story in AC1 to being able to follow what is happening in AC2? Could I just youtube clips. I have switched 360s since playing AC1, so I would have to replay the entire game.

2) Was the PC version of AC2 noticeably better than the 360 version? Enough so to justify double dipping?

3) How important are the DLC mission to the overall narrative? Can they all be skipped?

1. There's a few basic things you need to know, but AC2 is pretty clear about things. I'd say youtube + wiki should do you fine if you really don't want to play it.

gdt

AC2 is a TERRIBLE GOD AWFUL BABY KILLING pc version. LOD issues kill the game. It's worse than the 360 version. A total waste of money for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom