• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think the consensus on FEAR 3 falls somewhere along the lines of, "Although short, it's still better than FEAR 2. Plus, there's co-op!"

Blizzard

Banned
UOLUl.jpg

Larger publishers tend to shy away from SteamPlay, presumably because it's "tantamount to giving away the game for free!"
*giving away the game for free to people who already bought it, silly publishers.

Is Civ V the highest profile example of a SteamPlay game? And has anyone tried to buck the trend and sell a separate Mac version of a Steam game?

BosSin

Can anyone give away cs:go invites? I got into the beta when it first opened up and have yet to give away an invite. Admittedly I haven't played it that much, even though it's probably one of the best online shooters right now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Can anyone give away cs:go invites? I got into the beta when it first opened up and have yet to give away an invite. Admittedly I haven't played it that much, even though it's probably one of the best online shooters right now.
If you have one in your steam inventory.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Get it if you like ghost/horror stuff. I mean, it's not scary, but the style is a refreshing change of pace from other shooter experiences.

Sysgen

Really? I heard it's the worst entry in the series but I might be mistaken.

Recently re/played them all consecutively (the 2 expansions are an alternate story arc). F3AR 3 was the best (others will differ). F3AR 3 had better (more focused and frequent) story telling, different (open and diverse as opposed to corridor) level design than the rest of the series. Graphically superior. Re-playable (after completing the game) using Fettel, possess enemies, explode them from within, telekinesis .... coop. Achievement based leveling. Loved it.

UOLUl.jpg

Larger publishers tend to shy away from SteamPlay, presumably because it's "tantamount to giving away the game for free!"

It's pretty sad that Ubisoft looks like awesome cool guy saints in this regard.

*giving away the game for free to people who already bought it, silly publishers.

Is Civ V the highest profile example of a SteamPlay game? And has anyone tried to buck the trend and sell a separate Mac version of a Steam game?

I'm guessing Assassin's Creed is the highest-selling franchise that utilizes steamplay.

BosSin

Get it if you like ghost/horror stuff. I mean, it's not scary, but the style is a refreshing change of pace from other shooter experiences.
I've played both 1 and 2, 1 was quite awesome but 2 is forgettable. Where does 3 stand in comparison?

nope, it's much better than FEAR 2. Still much worse than 1.

Guess I found something to spend my credit on.

Sysgen said:
Recently re/played them all consecutively (the 2 expansions are an alternate story arc). F3AR 3 was the best (others will differ). F3AR 3 had better (more focused and frequent) story telling, different (open and diverse as opposed to corridor) level design than the rest of the series. Graphically superior. Re-playable (after completing the game) using Fettel, possess enemies, explode them from within, telekinesis .... coop. Achievement based leveling. Loved it.

Better than F.E.A.R. 1? I have a hard time believing that, it's one of my favourite FPS ever.

Burekma

Actually, it probably has more to do with the fact that publishers just don't care about the mac version, so they outsource it to specialized mac port companies, who then proceed to publish and sell the game. In Deus-Ex's case it was Feral Interactive.

This obviously complicates things in regards to selling the mac version on Steam or making it steamplay, since Valve doesn't allow selling multiple versions of the same game.

Sometimes the mac games come to Steam at a later date, but in general, this will only be resolved once publishers start doing mac ports in-house.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Actually, it probably has more to do with the fact that publishers just don't care about the mac version, so they outsource it to specialized mac port companies, who then proceed to publish and sell the game. In Deus-Ex's case it was Feral Interactive.

This obviously complicates things in regards to selling the mac version on Steam or making it steamplay, since Valve doesn't allow selling multiple versions of the same game.

Sometimes the mac games come to Steam at a later date, but in general, this will only be resolved once publishers start doing mac ports in-house.

Feral seems to be popular choice for belated Mac ports (BioShock and Borderlands come to mind).

Edit: I didn't realise they were behind the Mac port of Human Revolution. It's not surprising that the game isn't on Steam as a retroactive SteamPlay title seeing as they're utterly averse to the platform.

ArjanN

Guess I found something to spend my credit on.

Better than F.E.A.R. 1? I have a hard time believing that, it's one of my favourite FPS ever.

FEAR 3 has very solid shooting mechanics and the co-op is fun, but the story and horror elements are clearly worse though.

Overall I still think 1 and 2 are better. I always thought FEAR 2 was pretty underrated.

Tomodachi

Also, Alan Wake American Nightmare is finally out. My preorder still won't start downloading though, but I guess I'll wait another 30-50 seconds before freaking out.

Blizzard

Banned
Are all of the Thief games good and working on modern Windows 7 systems without shenanigans? I've never played them, but if there any I still don't own, that price seems pretty good.

Thief huh? I can buy all three games for 3 bucks more than just one of them on gog...

I guess I'm worried about compatibility issues. Don't know if I should be or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom