• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symphonic

I wish Steam would implement a mark of some sort by games that you already own like PSN and GOG do. If I game has a lot of DLC or whatever, it fucking sucks trying to find out what you have in that unexpandable DLC window.

It tells you that you own the game on the game's page.

Ledsen

Nice, I was about to buy them from gamersgate but hesitated because I didn't know whether or not I'd be able to get them into my steam library, but now that Steam has the same exact deals I'll just get it through them.

Civ V is Steamworks, it doesn't even work without Steam (including DLC of course).

Aselith

He means like a mark on the picture before you click on anything.

Yeah, for something like Civ that has 11 DLC's, it's a huge pain to go to the page for this DLC and then back and then check the next DLC and then back and etc.

I can't even imagine what kind of nightmare it is buying Railworks DLC (it has 107!)

kafiend

Yeah, for something like Civ that has 11 DLC's, it's a huge pain to go to the page for this DLC and then back and then check the next DLC and then back and etc.

I can't even imagine what kind of nightmare it is buying Railworks DLC (it has 107!)

Although this isn't entirely accurate as I found out today with one of the Civ DLC. Just add all the DLC to your cart and then view the cart it tells you what you already own there.

Aselith

Although this isn't entirely accurate as I found out today with one of the Civ DLC. Just add all the DLC to your cart and then view the cart it tells you what you already own there.

I did that once when I was buying all the Civ 5 DLC the last time it was on sale and it lied to me! :p

Ledsen

I think you can get everything for the best price by getting like three different packs, or two packs and something individually, I forget. I think I got them all from an earlier sale, but I haven't played them yet.

Yeah, there are Civ V DLC combo packs that aren't on the game page, you have to search. For everything the cheapest way:

- Korea and Wonders of the Ancient World Combo Pack
- Denmark and Explorer's Combo Pack
- Polynesia
- Spain and Inca
- Babylon
- Cradle of Civilization Bundle (apparently just a bunch of crappy maps)

Megasoum

Banned
What's that I hear about a free week-end for Red Orchestra 2? I heard rumors on the net today but I'm not finding any info on steam right now.

Anybody know something about that?

Uriah

What's that I hear about a free week-end for Red Orchestra 2? I heard rumors on the net today but I'm not finding any info on steam right now.

Anybody know something about that?

I assume it will start when the new content gets released, which I think should be soon.

Megasoum

Banned
This just occurred to me, but It would be really mind blowing to see movies with achievements. Like one for watching the whole movie, the credits and one for writing a review.

I'm not saying they should do it, but It would be funny to see how achievements hunters react to this.

What I'm wondering is if the movie will be only available in the Steam video player or if it's actually gonna be a a standard video file in your steamapp folder...

Will they use steamwork DRM for the movie? lol

zkylon

zkylewd
This just occurred to me, but It would be really mind blowing to see movies with achievements. Like one for watching the whole movie, the credits and one for writing a review.

I'm not saying they should do it, but It would be funny to see how achievements hunters react to this.
Shit, I really hope this never happens. I found myself hunting achievements for a few hours on this site (http://www.codecademy.com/courses), doing courses way under my level, like creating an array or something.

My lack of free will when faced with gamification is very scary...

mannerbot

Shit, I really hope this never happens. I found myself hunting achievements for a few hours on this site (http://www.codecademy.com/courses), doing courses way under my level, like creating an array or something.

My lack of free will when faced with gamification is very scary...

That's not so bad. Maybe you'd enjoy learning stuff at khanacademy.org, a new language at memrise.com, or raising rice for the World Food Programme at freerice.org. :p

zkylon

zkylewd
That's not so bad. Maybe you'd enjoy learning stuff at khanacademy.org, a new language at memrise.com, or raising rice for the World Food Programme at freerice.org. :p
And the discovery of that rice site marks the day zky's left GAF for good...

edit: fuck you very much, I have now wasted 2 hours trying to learn the russian alfabet :p

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

dear god no

Are there any good 3D platformers on Steam aside from Psychonauts?

Not on Steam and not on PC. Mirrors Edge, Psychonauts, and Portal games are about it. And Mirrors Edge and Portal are kind of a stretch to call platformers.

Not very many at all on any systems nowadays. I would love for a Ratchet and Clank style platformer on PC.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Damn guys, Prince of Persia is just sitting over there in the corner looking really awkward, hearing every word of this conversation.

Also, Alice. Though I found it kinda boring.

And Tomb Raider? Damn. Ice cold.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Steakworks sounds delicious.

It does seem like a smart idea. For Valve to bring over the standard classical games. Get Chess, Checkers, Go, and others. Make them F2P. And allow for custom skins to be sold + their own. People will play them on Steam, just because its Steam. Heh

theBishop

Banned
Not on Steam and not on PC. Mirrors Edge, Psychonauts, and Portal games are about it. And Mirrors Edge and Portal are kind of a stretch to call platformers.

Not very many at all on any systems nowadays. I would love for a Ratchet and Clank style platformer on PC.

How about Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath?

Alex

I havent liked many 3D platformers in recent years. Mostly just the Mario games and Alice, I did like that a lot.

Alice was unlikeable. It takes control away from you too often like on launch pads. And the platforms have this weird feel where sometimes you make the jump and other times you should have.. It just felt like Unreal Engine all over.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm, I tried switching PhysX to CPU (since it says Auto-detect, NVidia Graphics Card, or CPU) but it still crashes.

Hamilton's Great Adventure is great.

Wok

I have Stranger's Wrath, not that it runs since they promised to update it and never did (did they?)

Stranger's Wrath used to not run for more than five minutes without crashing. This is not the case anymore.

Hamilton's Great Adventure is great.

It is not a platformer, it is a beautiful puzzle game.

How is Gratuitous Space Battles and/or Tank Battles? Worth the cash or wait for sale?

Overpriced. Wait for a sale.

I dislike this game: it consists of placing your units on a grid, and then watching the fight with popcorn.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wow, not even Killing Floor numbers.

What sets Metro 2033 different from shooters btw? RPG-like? Videos show that it's pretty much a typical military shooter but with mutants. Don't give me that atmosphere reasoning because for me I'm still seeing a "gruff dude".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom