• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metro is a linear shooter without choices or consequences, yes, no RPG elements whatsoever, you don't get to side with one of the the three parties dominating the Metro (in fact I like to believe it's either an alternative reality or a twisted outcome of the 2013 holocaust, but the atmosphere - man, the atmosphere kicks unbelievable amounts of ass.

If you have a meaty PC, prepare for some real eye-candy as well.

derFeef

Wow, not even Killing Floor numbers.

What sets Metro 2033 different from shooters btw? RPG-like? Videos show that it's pretty much a typical military shooter but with mutants. Don't give me that atmosphere reasoning because for me I'm still seeing a "gruff dude".

Depends on the mode you play, the new mode they patched in is pretty great. Ammo management (since bullets are your currency), light survival aspects and yeah a very cool atmosphere most of the time.

The new mode got rid of bullet sponges, but you are more vulnurable as well, so it is a bit more tactical too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Metro is a linear shooter without choices or consequences, yes, no RPG elements whatsoever, you don't get to side with one of the the three parties dominating the Metro (in fact I like to believe it's either an alternative reality or a twisted outcome of the 2013 holocaust, but the atmosphere - man, the atmosphere kicks unbelievable amounts of ass.

If you have a meaty PC, prepare for some real eye-candy as well.

It does have a rather inconspicuous morality system, which can result in a different ending.

Ledsen

What sets Metro 2033 different from shooters btw? RPG-like? Videos show that it's pretty much a typical military shooter but with mutants. Don't give me that atmosphere reasoning because for me I'm still seeing a "gruff dude".

Huh? The reason the atmosphere distinguishes it from other shooters has nothing to do with the protagonist. It's because

- it takes place in an incredibly well designed, bleak and dystopian future version of the Moscow subway system.

- the first person awareness is second to none, similarly to Riddick or Far Cry 2. Animations for donning your gas mask, for example, are incredibly elaborate. The mask starts fogging up when you stat to run out of oxygen, and it gets worn and cracked as you take hits in combat. All the while you're hearing muffled sounds from the dead surface world over your own labored breathing. It's simply fantastic.

One of my favourite shooters of all time.

Oreoleo

"Military shooter" is a bit of a misnomer. It's about as much of a military shooter as, say, Far Cry 2 is (And honestly, probably even less than that. FC2 had a level of pre-planning and strategizing that isn't presented in Metro. Everything is a little more think on your feet, act/react type gameplay, if that makes sense). There's basically no RPG elements. I couldn't tell you exactly why the game resonated with me, but it did. You say don't bring up the atmosphere but, going from the narrow dark corridors to bright outdoor areas, it was a good contrast of setting and kept the game from getting stale. And some of the gun fights were very intense, it always seemed like I never had enough ammo, which I would say is a good thing. Also, when you are above ground you have to wear a gas mask and oxygen tank so there is always that thought in the back of your mind that you need to keep moving or you are going to suffocate. Essentially a level timer, but it's implemented into the gameplay in a believable way.

On a greater scale though, the same way there are obvious differences between Western and Asian game design philosophies, Europe has their own philosophies on game design and mechanics that makes Metro stand out against the glut of 'dudebro' shooters that are so common these days. Whether those philosophies are something that appeal to you I think is something for you to figure out.

Ticket to Ride (US$ 9.99) was added yesterday. I was really, really addicted to this board game on XBLA. Paved my way to the top of the scoreboards.

But at that price, plus the DLC (which doubles the price) is a little to stepy. If all DLC was included at US$ 9.99 I would consider.

And without achievements, I feel no motivation to stop living again.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm okay then, I'll get metro.

Man, still can't find a fix for Divinity II. Seems like an engine problem.

Eternia

is dungeon defenders work it at $5.00 I hear you need alot of the DLC to make it worth it and there not on sale..
You can definitely get your monies worth at $5 if you end up liking the game. There are a lot of classes to try and challenges to complete. It does start to become a loot/money grind at the end of the base game and moreso with additional DLC so you should keep that in mind.

The limiting factor right now though is the hardest difficulty Nightmare, where all the great loot drops is locked through the main content DLC pack Lost Eternia Shards. However, you can still join games that contain DLC you don't own so that's a way around to access it. It has also been said that once the last part is released, Nightmare will open for everyone. You'll still be missing a lot of maps but that alone should change the game completely.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dungeon Defenders was created for people with no bandwidth cap. I have no bandwidth cap on AT&T U-verse so I like to enjoy just downloading shit because I can.

Nabs

Dungeon Defenders was created for people with no bandwidth cap. I have no bandwidth cap on AT&T U-verse so I like to enjoy just downloading shit because I can.

I wouldn't even joke about that kind of stuff.

edit: It looks like Comcast got rid of the 250 gig cap. Nice.

One of my favourite shooters of all time.

Phew! I grabbed it last night, hoping that it was at least a little like Stalker in that way.

I'm really tempted by Red Orchestra, but only 1000 people playing it? The irony of course is that I'm sure lots of people are holding off buying the game until more people jump in.

He's exaggerating. It can at worse make your computer run slower than normal for a bit. It doesn't literally destroy your hard drive.

Dota 2 did this to my hard drive

qDJmr.jpg

never had any problems with Dota 2 updates

Blizzard

Banned
He's exaggerating. It can at worse make your computer run slower than normal for a bit. It doesn't literally destroy your hard drive.
Read back through the thread for some other people posting about it. It uses some different update method than normal for Steam games (something like copying a ton of files to a temporary directory, patching them, and copying them back), and the result is that your hard disk starts being loud for 5-10 minutes while your computer slows down if it's IO-bound.

But no, presumably not actually destroying it. Though I should do backups just in case.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I wouldn't even joke about that kind of stuff.

edit: It looks like Comcast got rid of the 250 gig cap. Nice.

Don't you mean that they raised it to 300, I dont think they got rid of it. I would go back to comcast if they did get rid of it, lol.

From Arstechnica:

Cable giant Comcast, one of the largest Internet providers in the US, today announced a suspension of its 250GB/month data cap policy while it looks for better alternatives.

The two new approaches it has in mind don't differ radically from the current setup, but they do improve it modestly by increasing data limits for all users. Comcast will trial the scenarios in two different markets this year (to be named later), and it will not enforce the cap at all for customers not in a test market. (Comcast draws a distinction between “enforcing” the 250GB data cap and "contacting the very small number of excessive users about their usage"—which will continue.)

Here are the two proposed approaches to limiting monthly data use:

* Customers of Comcast's least-expensive Internet plans (Internet Essentials, Economy, and Performance) would receive 300GB of data per month. Those who subscribe to faster plans would get “increasing data allotments for each successive tier of high-speed service." Anyone who still exceeds the limit could purchase more data—$10 for 50GB.

* All Comcast customers would get 300GB data caps and could purchase extra data for $10 per 50GB.

Read back through the thread for some other people posting about it. It uses some different update method than normal for Steam games (something like copying a ton of files to a temporary directory, patching them, and copying them back), and the result is that your hard disk starts being loud for 5-10 minutes while your computer slows down if it's IO-bound.

But no, presumably not actually destroying it. Though I should do backups just in case.
Yeah, at worse makes your compy slow for a bit. I wasn't saying it didn't happen, I get it every thursday night, it is annoying, just that it doesn't destroy it or anything.

I couldn't live with data caps. I fear moving as I'll proabably get stuck with one.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, at worse makes your compy slow for a bit. I wasn't saying it didn't happen, I get it every thursday night, it is annoying, just that it doesn't destroy it or anything.
Yeah, I actually found a quote from you when I was looking back through the thread about it. :p

I just deleted it, it was too much of a annoyance for something i barely play.

Is there reason why it does this? I was wondering why my laptop was crapping out on me but I wasn't sure.

I remembering reading that too. Something about it copying files over to a different directory before applying the delta updates and then moving the files back after patching them.

I hope that beta will stop steam from locking up everything for 2 or so minutes when Dota updates.

Does that happen to you too?? It's been doing that to me ever since I got into the beta and it's been bugging the heck out of me. Every Wednesday and Thursday it just kills my computer.

Oh thank god I'm not the only one.

And this explanation:
Dota 2 uses the new content system. The way it works is that whatever files are going to be changed are copied over (into the "temp" directory in Steam\steamapps), then the downloaded patch applied to them, then the files are moved back. The copying over takes time and hard disk space though.

What they probably should be looking at, at least on Windows Vista and 7, is using Transactional NTFS to make atomic updates.

And that's why I was whining that I hope the "new content system" doesn't show up in more games since I really hated the patch system, at least until I get a less crappy computer.

Nabs

I couldn't live with data caps. I fear moving as I'll proabably get stuck with one.

Data caps suck, especially if you stream HD content and have a healthy Steam account.

JaseC

And that's why I was whining that I hope the "new content system" doesn't show up in more games since I really hated the patch system, at least until I get a less crappy computer.

The new CDS is already rather pervasive. When I re-installed Windows earlier in the year, Steam forced me to convert all games in my Library that were now being delivered via the new system; I'd estimate that this affected at least half of them.

Blizzard

Banned
The new CDS is already rather pervasive. When I re-installed Windows earlier in the year, Steam forced me to convert all games in my Library that were now being delivered via the new system; I'd estimate that this affected at least half of them.
Do patches on those games cause the slowdown thing, or were you not affected by the DOTA 2 updates to begin with?

JaseC

Do patches on those games cause the slowdown thing, or were you not affected by the DOTA 2 updates to begin with?

IIRC, many of them were older games that no longer see updates (e.g. Titan Quest), but I can't say I've ever experienced any noticeable slowdown when Steam is updating a game (Dota 2 included).

Edit: Managed to type "notable" instead of "noticeable".

MRORANGE

I got banned from gaf which actually gave me time to play some games:

Warp

39gaZ.jpg

Fantastic puzzle/stealth game, however the stupid origin integration is really bad, like really bad, you really do have to question trapdoor’s indie cred with a such a bizarre choice of online drm. If you can get past that then it’s a fantastic little game.

Max payne

d2RuI.jpg

I really should have played this a long time ago, this game is absoloutley bonkers, especially the scnes when you start tripping out in those endless blood trails, it really is creepy. After act 2 it more or less turned into quick saving after every kill, the AI are merciless in this game.

Half Life 2 Episode 2

6Pz5v.jpg

I mainly played this game again so I could get the Rocket Man achievement but it’s still one the best fps experience’s you can get it on pc, plus the Vortal Combat track is pure kick ass.

Bad Company 2

xo9pk.jpg

Second play-through and probably one of the most underrated military SP campaigns, it’s funny , the levels are quite varied, destructible environments and one of the best looking game engine for MP.

GTA 2

jYT5E.jpg

This game has aged better than gta3, gtaVC, GTA SA, It’s pretty much made me miss the days when rockstar never took itself seriously with the GTA series.

What else I played

EDGE

LCsDe.jpg

Quite fun, didn’t know what to expect but it’s a fantastic little game, music is awesome.

SEGA Bass Fishing

Bo1Vy.jpg

OH MY GOD, WHY DID I NOT GET THIS GAME WHEN I HAD A DREAMCAST D:
I’ve never been fishing but this game is fucking amazing, seriously I wished sega could have put online leaderboards for this remake so we could see who caught the biggest fish.

Blur

nSrjF.jpg

Blur was a snooze fest for me, never really liked it, game looked like a the team came from flatout and just added some Mario kart into the mix. I guess it’s one of those games that best work with 3 other friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom