• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezodagrom

EA giving up?
lol we could only hope
Based on the name (Maximum Edition), it could be just an edition of the game with all DLC bundled in it (like Assassin's Creed Revelations Gold Edition). Since it probably will have all DLC on it, it doesn't have the problem that the original release of Crysis 2 had (DLC not being available in the Steam store).

Stitch

Gold Member
DOTA 2 is currently updating on my machine. For a bit while it was updating, and my hard disk light was solid, ALT TAB AND CTRL-ALT-DELETE DID NOT EVEN DO ANYTHING. I have no idea how Steam is locking I/O so hard or whatever, but it really bugs me as a programmer. :(

Every game with the new steam fileformat does that. When Red Orchestra 2 started updating I wasn't able to use my computer for a minute...

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone gets an L.A. Noire that they don't want, I'll take it please.

Ya me too :D It might go really cheap on the summer sale though, at least I hope so. One of those games I'm really interested in, but read too much bad stuff about to really spend a bunch of bucks for.

Rapstah

I wonder if they'll put up Dragon Age 2 too if they ever release a version of that with all DLC. I'm assuming it was pulled for that reason at least... didn't it dissapear during the same month as Crysis 2? Or did they just pull DA2 out of spite because Crysis 2 had to be pulled?

Nabs

I wonder if they'll put up Dragon Age 2 too if they ever release a version of that with all DLC. I'm assuming it was pulled for that reason at least... didn't it dissapear during the same month as Crysis 2? Or did they just pull DA2 out of spite because Crysis 2 had to be pulled?

They pulled DA2 when they released their second? DLC pack. I'm going to go ahead and guess that EA doesn't care enough to put together a complete pack. They like having people use Bioware Points.

Blizzard

Banned
Every game with the new steam fileformat does that. When Red Orchestra 2 started updating I wasn't able to use my computer for a minute...
This is EXACTLY what I was afraid of. Rage. :( I just want to be able to alt-tab or pull up task manager or something, lol.

Hellix

Wow, Max Payne 1, 2, and LA Noire? Great pre-order bonuses.

I heard the PC Port of LA Noire was atrocious. Well, time to find out.

Joe Molotov

Looks like Crysis 2 is coming back to Steam:

crysis2steamreg.jpg

OMG, I'M FAPPING RIGHT NOW! :O

Remfin

DOTA 2 is currently updating on my machine. For a bit while it was updating, and my hard disk light was solid, ALT TAB AND CTRL-ALT-DELETE DID NOT EVEN DO ANYTHING. I have no idea how Steam is locking I/O so hard or whatever, but it really bugs me as a programmer. :(
From what experience I've had with the whole thing, it's really the fact Windows handles I/O in some weird blocking manner. For instance, put a failed CD burn in your drive, open Explorer, and watch as your computer becomes completely useless for like 30+ minutes as it tries to read the metadata to give it a name, even when you aren't doing anything that has to do with the file system. Or try to delete a few nested directories filled with tiny files and Explorer takes like 20+ minutes just to enumerate through them.

In other words, I don't think it's Valve's fault, just a consequence of how the OS works. If people want tiny delta patches, there are going to be tradeoffs.

Salsa

Neat, wouldnt be surprised if BF3 eventually makes the jump.

Also LA Noire is great, wish they gave me a free Max Payne 3 when I bought that.

Note that unlike BF3, Crysis 2 doesn't actually require Origin (it can be activated on Origin, but it doesn't require it). I doubt games that do require Origin would be available on Steam though.

Why not? Games that need GFWL are on Steam. The only issue with most Origin games is that EA probably doesn't want them on there and EA seem to be unwilling to sell DLC through steam.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
EA can keep off Steam. I can't say I've missed them at all and their future prospects don't draw much interest either.

Though I'm sure I will still fold into spending 5$ on Dragon's Age II(If it returns), just to play through it and see how bad it is. I'm slightly sadistic like this.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I got DAII from Origin several months back. Played it for an hour or two then forgot about it. It didn't seem quite as offensively bad as I had expected, but it did seem completely average in almost every way. I couldn't shake the feeling that my time would be better spend replaying a more worthwhile RPG instead.

Rufus

It has its moments and some of the characters are just great, but they fumble the plot and being in Kirkwall all the time, on top of the recurring dungeon/s (haha, I make funny) will suck the joy out of it quickly, as will the many other niggling issues the game has.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone get their Reign of Thunder close beta invite? Just got the email.

And played a round, really fun. Could be a winner once they optimize things better.

Account name, as in what you use to log in? Not that I'm aware of, but maybe Steam Support could change it (good luck with that lol). You can change your profile name at any time, though, it's under the friends tab.
yea i guess i cant.its ok though since the profile name can be changed which is more important.

mr. grape

1.2 gig update for E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy, all kinds of bug fixes! 43 new achievements.

I really should get around to playing it...

Hm.. they still haven't fixed the micro-stutter. It's the only source game I have micro-stutter with and haven't found a fix for (tried several drivers, none helped).

EA can keep off Steam. I can't say I've missed them at all and their future prospects don't draw much interest either.

Though I'm sure I will still fold into spending 5$ on Dragon's Age II(If it returns), just to play through it and see how bad it is. I'm slightly sadistic like this.

If EA came back to Steam, I'd probably finally get Battlefield 3.

I hope EA comes back for 3 reasons

1. Having a benchmark in Crysis 2 for the new PC I buy in August/September
2. Having closure (lol) the Mass Effect trilogy on Steam
3. Getting Dead Space 3

Other than that I really don't give much of a rat's ass. I might get Syndicate for 5€ though, if it ever hits steam.

Aselith

Could some with Paradox forums access please download these pictures and send them to me? My account won't let me access them for some reason. Just set me up a tinyurl link please. I just want to see the build tree since the ingame version is garbage.

Blizzard

Banned
I hope EA comes back for 3 reasons

1. Having a benchmark in Crysis 2 for the new PC I buy in August/September
2. Having closure (lol) the Mass Effect trilogy on Steam
3. Getting Dead Space 3

Other than that I really don't give much of a rat's ass. I might get Syndicate for 5€ though, if it ever hits steam.
Mirror's Edge 2, if it ever comes out, and MAYBE Mass Effect 3 are quite probably the only EA games I would be interested in. I don't think their other games are bad necessarily, just not interested.

Lingitiz

There's not alot of EA Games I'm really dying to play at this point, but having them on back on Steam would be nice. There's quite a few games that I'd pick up at sale prices.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Any idea how I can uninstall Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate without uninstalling F.E.A.R.?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If EA came back to Steam, I'd probably finally get Battlefield 3.

I wouldn't mind double-dipping on Crysis 2, and I'd buy Mass Effect 3 during a sale seeing as I own the first two, but I'd stay well away from Battlefield 3. I've no interest in playing an MP game that isn't Counter-Strike and BF3's SP campaign is easily the worst FPS campaign I've ever played. I vividly recall running too far ahead of my AI teammates, causing them to disappear from the map altogether; I then had to restart the level due to the heavily-scripted nature of the missions (no teammates = no level progression).

Is anyone else having problems seeing prices on their wishlist page? Only about a forth of my wishlisted games show prices, the rest just have a button to visit the store page.

shaowebb

Anyone here know anything from Valve as to whether or not there is a release date set yet for the eXceed Collection of bullethell games on Steam. The collection launched over a month ago on PC for direct download and was supposed to also get a Steam launch, but its been absent for a long time. Only news I can find on it is a locked thread on Capcom-Unity ending in Christian Svensson saying that there is more involved now in getting things cleared for Steam than before and its holding things up.

I'd really like to own these on Steam considering they've been out for awhile now everywhere else and I'm eager to know if anyone has heard about a release date on Steam yet. This delay has been really long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom